Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Magnum Express

Problems with Doom Builder and GZDoom

Ever since I started to make 3D floors using Doom Builder, I have been experiencing two problems:

1. When I select the "Test Map" icon, my computer screen goes black. I can still hear sounds and the keyboard still works (I've used it to exit test mode). The screen turns on again after I manage to exit testing. Honestly, what the heck is going on? By the way, I use GZDoom for testing.

2. I'm not able to switch weapons, actually, it's more like the weapons other than the one I start out with or the latest I have picked don't exist, that is until I run out of ammo for the current weapon. I've had this problem before, and it was fixed when I temporarily switched from ZDoom to Skulltag. Since I have been using GZDoom, the problem has returned. The last time this happened, someone told me that a possible solution was to give the weapons slot numbers, but this method didn't help at all. If this has something to do with DECORATE, please be very specific. Thank you.

1 - Sounds like GZDoom is trying to use a display mode which your screen does not support. Not sure how to fix that though. I would try deleting your user settings from GZDoom somehow so that you force it back to default settings.

The weapons problem will be a decorate problem. I added several weapons and it took quite some time to sort out (I would be forced to use the 'polymorph device' everytime I ran out of ammo on a gun.

You have to give EVERY weapon in GZDOOM the same sort of set up in the decorate, every weapon should look like this:

//Weapon: Polymorph
//By: Froon

ACTOR PolyMorph : Weapon 20096
{
Inventory.PickupMessage "You got the Polymorpher!"
Weapon.SelectionOrder 2200
Weapon.AmmoType "MorphAmmo"
Weapon.AmmoGive 10
Weapon.SlotNumber 8
Weapon.AmmoUse 1

You want to make sure that you have:

Selection Order at similar values for all your weapons.
Weapon Slot Numbers sorted correctly.

If any are absent in the codes (as there are in a lot of weapon wads I download) you have to put them in.

There is a fine example in some of the skulltag custom objects (one off of realm667 for example is the TIME FREEZE orb. That didn't work with GZDOOM. I manually edited it to look like another item which DID work.

The same with this polymorph weapon, it worked but did not allow for a Dual bladed chainsaw at the same time. In this case. The solution for me was to import the weapon again.

There are now two weapons, but only one shows up. I speculate its a bug with GZDOOM or different coding.

Ironically when testing in GZDOOM from Doom Builder 2 I get a shed load of error reports when I get none when starting the wad OUT of Doom Builder.

Bottom line, Doom builder causes several problems that you just have to work around (mine is when testing have two of every custom weapon with idkdfa).

Make sure your decorate file is the same as above (customise for yourself of course).

If all else fails, remove the troublesome weapon and then import it TO your wad. OR import YOUR wad TO the weapons wad. Then edit the decroate file again.

Depends on your GFX driver, if no image is being rendered its probably a video card error.

Have you got the latest version of GZDOOM? There were a lot of bugs with GZDOOMs older versions and ATI.

Are you using ATI or GeForce?

I do the same as you when modding magnum I've had no gfx display problems.

Try re-installing GZDOOM AND your Video card driver again. Make sure you have the latest version of GZDOOM, fixing this lot should fix your problems.

Magnum Express said:

I reinstalled GZDoom, and I reconfigured my display settings, but my monitor keeps shutting off when I open GZDoom. Any other options.

For whatever bizarre reason, GZDoom tends to default to 640x480 and refresh rates that the monitor does not support. Try forcing the game to a refresh rate using a command line switch like +vid_refreshrate 75, or changing the value of vid_refreshrate in your INI file.

Search the .ini file in the GZDOOM directory and search for: "vid_refreshrate" and set it to 75Hz or whatever your monitor can do.

Or as soon as you hear the intro music for doom's menu bring up the console (you won't be able to see it if you've got video problems, but hold out), and then type in +vid_refreshrate 75" then press enter.

Yep, that solved the problem. I have noticed some strange things, though. First off, my screen is gray for a half of a second before the game starts. Second, most textures appear blurry.

Magnum Express said:

Yep, that solved the problem. I have noticed some strange things, though. First off, my screen is gray for a half of a second before the game starts. Second, most textures appear blurry.

Blurry textures means that there is likely a filter enabled - check in the Options -> Display Options -> OpenGL Settings for a Texture Filter setting and set it to Nearest to get back the classic pixelated look.