Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
disentomb

Question Concerning Water

I know this is probably a simple thing to do, but ive never actually done it myself so im lost... im trying to use black water in a small map im making. I wanted it to change frames as the original doom2 water does. I have all four of the black water textures.any help is greatly appreciated

Make a wad that has the following entries:

FF_START
FWATER1
FWATER2
FWATER3
FWATER4
F_END
FF_START and F_END are markers and FWATERx are saved as flats.

Replace the lava flats instead? Otherwise you'll have to move on to a source port like prboom or zdoom etc., though I'm unsure of the specifics of making totally new animated flats in them.

Thread hijack:
How does gothictx.wad animate the WFALLX textures? I thought the animated texture designations were hard coded into the engine and the only way to animate textures was to replace existing ones like BFALLX/DBRAIN and such...

Vorpal said:

How does gothictx.wad animate the WFALLX textures? I thought the animated texture designations were hard coded into the engine and the only way to animate textures was to replace existing ones like BFALLX/DBRAIN and such...

they know what they're doing. thats how lol, also, thanks for your help as well

Vorpal said:

The animation is hardcoded just like all the rest. The only difference is that there are no WFALL textures in the IWAD. Put them in a PWAD with the correct naming convention, and they work.

disentomb said:

... I have all four of the black water textures.any help is greatly appreciated

For some reason I seem to remember that you use ZDoom or GZDoom. Then you could do this

Boom also has the ANIMATED lump. You need the "swantbls" utility to compile them though, but it's pretty easy to do. Personally, I never find myself using all the original animation groups in a single wad, so I just sacrifice the brown slime or glowing rocks or something to keep things simple.

And please don't use ZDoom just to use ANIMDEFS.

EarthQuake said:

And please don't use ZDoom just to use ANIMDEFS.

uhh, how partisan. O_O
Personally, I use only ZDoom or GZDoom.

That doesn't mean that I don't check out other engines from time to time, it's just that I don't map for them.

EarthQuake said:

The animation is hardcoded just like all the rest. The only difference is that there are no WFALL textures in the IWAD. Put them in a PWAD with the correct naming convention, and they work.

Also, you can use SWATER1...4 for flats as well, which is also absent from the IWAD.

Kappes Buur said:

For some reason I seem to remember that you use ZDoom or GZDoom. Then you could do this

haha you probably read my messages in the "multiple floors" thread. anyway, thank you sir, I appreciate the help. thanks to everyone else who posted on here as well, you're all awesome.