Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marcaek

So Doom 64 is pretty damn good.

The controller took a little getting used to, but I'm on map12 now. Played the bonus levels on the side, Cat and Mouse in particular was great :)

Also, the level designers are bastards of the highest caliber :P

Heh, Cat and Mouse. I nearly crapped myself the first time I played the map :P

I would have enjoyed Doom 64 even more if there was coop support. My best friend and I played the game all the time but we never got very far into it warping to the other maps. I think the farthest we got on our own at the time was the map "Even Simplier" or maybe the one right after that. Coop would have made it a little easier to progress, not to mention it would have been a lot of fun. Well that and playing on that damn N64 controller made the game 2x as hard as it really was :P.

Yeah, the controller makes using the rocket launcher in particular significantly more difficult. Co-op and split-screen DM would have been great, but given the way the levels are made I'd say that DM would probably need seperate maps.

I really like the alternate art style, wonder what the D64 team would have come up with for the Revenant, Chaingunner, Archvile and Mastermind?

I said this in a thread before, but I am just going to reiterate my opinion. I think doom 64 is the truest sequel to doom 2. It takes the engine, makes a few minor upgrades, and sets you in a new atmosphere while still staying true to the gameplay of the first two games. As far as plot-line, it takes place where doom 2 left off and wraps up in a nice way with doomguy staying in hell to keep the peace for eternity. If it weren't for the whole 64 titling craze, it could have easily passed for doom 3.

I think the real doom 3 is just a next-gen retelling of the original doom.

scalliano (in a different thread) said:

Everybody knows Midway made Doom 3 after Quake was released. They just called it Doom 64 as a general piss-take of sequelitis.

I gotta track down a cheap copy of Doom 64 sometime. I've rented it numerous times, played both the TC and EX version, and just feel that I am obligated to buy it already (much like PSX Doom, which I now own after finding it for $5 at a pawn shop).

Orchid87 said:

It is great, but all the remade weapons and monsters are kinda ugly and inferior to the original.

What? I found the remodeled sprites to be much more evil than the PC version.

And they're supposed to be ugly, they're demons for cryin' out loud.

Csonicgo said:

What? I found the remodeled sprites to be much more evil than the PC version.

And they're supposed to be ugly, they're demons for cryin' out loud.

You didn't get it. He's talking about the quality/concept of the sprites and I happen to agree with him.

Orchid87 said:

It is great, but all the remade weapons and monsters are kinda ugly and inferior to the original.

Da hell you talking about, boy? The demons were menacing and grotesque.

I also really, really liked how they made some closure to the Doom story. Our badass marine chooses to remain in Hell for eternity to kick demon ass. Fucking. Balls.

Now, after saying all this, does anyone feel this was intended to be a squeal to Doom 1? The story seems to wedge in right after Doom 1s. After Doom 2's earth annihilation, I doubt the UAC will worry about reclaiming their base.

Porsche Monty said:

You didn't get it. He's talking about the quality/concept of the sprites and I happen to agree with him.

What can you read his fucking mind? How else are we suppose to interpret his post. You seem to have some insight into Orchid's mind we seem to lack.

Porsche Monty said:

Well that's nice, dear.

And here's what I think.

The concepts fit perfectly with the environment. If you threw the original sprites in DOOM64's atmosphere they'd resemble cartoon characters in contrast. The weapons match as well, they also sound as if they're actually doing damage, and the Chaingun actually "recoils" in an impressive display of how much power is in that thing. the BFG flashes the Screen green. the plasma gun buzzes with excited gas.

If you think that is all "bad", then we will never be on the same field to discuss this, will we?

Csonicgo said:

Well that's nice, dear.

And here's what I think.

The concepts fit perfectly with the environment. If you threw the original sprites in DOOM64's atmosphere they'd resemble cartoon characters in contrast

Concept is one thing, somewhat greater resolution and number of colours per sprite (obviously required to suit the new looks of the game) is another.

I think the monsters did not translate particularly well. Most appear to have lost that "demonic" side to them, they resemble aliens much more than they resemble demons, and some even look like screenshots from bad renders. IMO they fail to capture the uniqueness, quality and aesthetic variety of the original concept.

Csonicgo said:

The weapons match as well, they also sound as if they're actually doing damage, and the Chaingun actually "recoils" in an impressive display of how much power is in that thing. the BFG flashes the Screen green. the plasma gun buzzes with excited gas.

The berserk looks like he was jacking someone off, the chainsaw doesn't make any sense and the pistol is poorly angled. Other than that, I agree with the paragraph.

I really need to complete that damn game. Now that I have a better controller, it's bound to be a hella lot easier to play. Got stuck at Dark Citadel because I couldn't figure out where the HELL I'm supposed to go. Doom 64 has some cruel, punishing level design.

I got tired playing it midway when the game was only throwing Hell Knights and worse, Barons of Hell at me. To be fair, I was playing that Absolution TC.

I got doom 64 in fifth grade after playing the shareware (this is the first time I got into doom and thank god it happened)

I was hoping it'd be the full doom experience (which really wouldnt come until a year or so after)

It was ok (the Demon scared me senseless in the first level)
and some of the dark ambience and music made me turn down the TV some.

I never got too far though. DOOM64 was EXTREMELY hard once you got to the hell levels. I either turned out being lost, or being mercylessly killed by those homing rockets that come out of nowhere.

It certainly was closer to what I'd picture hell looking like, and eventually the darkness gave me motion sickness and hurt my eyes.

It was good, but doom classic is still better. I dont like thinking of doom as scary as much as it is an actiony-sci-fi sort of deal.

yellowmadness54 said:

I either turned out being lost, or being mercylessly killed by those homing rockets that come out of nowhere.

I do admit that I abhor that particular scene, and by extension, don't care much for that particular map (Dark Entries). Too repetitive and annoying, that damn trap was.

The rest of Hell more than makes up for it though. :P

I don't know why, but in Doom 64 I prefer the base levels over the hell ones, but the hell ones are pretty good anyways. It's a great game in general, pushing the engine to new limits.

Also, I love the lighting, basic as it is.

I loved the trip wire traps of Doom 64. I've been playing with a lot of the ZDoom features to set up little death scenarios to add spice.

Yeah, the tripwires are neat, especially in Dark Citadel :)

Up to Eye of the Storm now, got the second Demon Key. The Unmaker is pretty OP :)

On a side note, I played Hectic aside from my current file. That map is cruel, couldn't beat it from a pistol start. And what a ridiculous way to hide a secret level!

For some time, Doom64 was the only doom I had. I've played through it on Watch Me Die many times. I didn't really have a problem with the controller. I don't have my N64 anymore and have been longing to play Doom 64 again. The TC is too unfaithful, and Kaiser's port when I played it last, had issues with game saves.

Marcaek said:

Yeah, the tripwires are neat, especially in Dark Citadel :)

Up to Eye of the Storm now, got the second Demon Key. The Unmaker is pretty OP :)

On a side note, I played Hectic aside from my current file. That map is cruel, couldn't beat it from a pistol start. And what a ridiculous way to hide a secret level!

Dark Citadel was one of the maps I dont like the background sounds on.

That is some scary stuff, dude.

The only thing I don't like about Doom64 is how boxy its level design tends to be. The engine is awesome, they really built on what Doom 2 already offered, it has great music and sound, good textures given the console's limitations, and the new sprites are fine.

Xaser said:

I do admit that I abhor that particular scene, and by extension, don't care much for that particular map (Dark Entries). Too repetitive and annoying, that damn trap was.

The rest of Hell more than makes up for it though. :P

Man I know EXACTLY what you are talking about.

Everytime you turned the ONE corner, a whole bunch of rockets shoot out of nowhere.

Always gets me pissed.

And that one map that already started off dark with em, too.

Technician said:

does anyone feel this was intended to be a squeal to Doom 1? The story seems to wedge in right after Doom 1s. After Doom 2's earth annihilation, I doubt the UAC will worry about reclaiming their base.

The UAC got a message from a disused relay satellite, ultimately telling them that the threat remained. It's not so much about reclaiming the base as finishing the job.

Personally, my favourite level was Altar Of Pain.

I'd give Doom64 a solid 7 out of 10. I was quite pleased to play another title from my favourite franchise on my giant crt TV with that beautiful coloured lighting in all it's texture-filtery glory, so even when flawed, it's still a good game, a game that gives a piece of junk like the Nintendo 64 a reason to exist.

Some of the levels were indeed puzzling and painful, but I regard that as a positive thing as I like this type of challenge every once in a while. On the other hand, I never got used to the controls and probably never will, it feels unnatural and stupid to play first person shooters with any peripheral other than a combination of keyboard and mouse.

Porsche Monty said:

Concept is one thing, somewhat greater resolution and number of colours per sprite (obviously required to suit the new looks of the game) is another.

I think the monsters did not translate particularly well. Most appear to have lost that "demonic" side to them, they resemble aliens much more than they resemble demons, and some even look like screenshots from bad renders. IMO they fail to capture the uniqueness, quality and aesthetic variety of the original concept.

Thank you, good Sir, this is just what I meant.

The sprites are not bad, but they fail to come close to id's original work. Monsters in Doom 64 look like they're made of plastic, while original Doom ones have some amazing pixel art, especially in the death animations. The only original Doom monster that looks cheap is spider mastermind, because he has some photo artifacts due to the lazy editing.