Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

What are you playing now?

I've started UAC Ultra with Doom 64 replacements. Those monsters and weapons fit really well with the atmosphere!

MegaDoomer said:

Just wanted to say that I <3 your review for Eternal Doom.

I think you hit the point perfectly - not for everyone but absolutely a masterpiece if you don't mind its puzzles.

(I check your blog reviews every couple days or so.)

Thanks!

Finished Doom II with my 4x modification of 10x (I removed +DROPOFF and the new projectile definitions that made them non-solid for balance reasons), it plays very well and isn't too much nor too little. Good for low monster counts and even medium ones. If anyone wants it feel free to PM.

Played Chord_NG. I like short ballbusters like this, especially that red key switch fight with the barons and chaingunners. Looking forward to playing the rest of Sailor's CHORD series. Also not sure I mentioned this but I also played phobosdeimos1's two solo releases, Zfactory and Pallace Skorn. Zfactory is comparable to the Corebinder maps, just in a Techbase theme and less dangerous. Still fun. Palace Skorn was interesting insofar as seeing phd play around with new-stuff. The different texture themes were a welcome change and there was some cool stuff. That Uzi is ridiculous though, it painlocks the end of level cyberdemon and is a bitch to fight against. You pretty much get flashfried if you're surprised. Still, wouldn't mind seeing a larger mapset in this theme if the smg troopers were toned down.

3/4 of the way through STRAIN. Though I kind of miss the Doom II toughs (arachnotron, mancubus, Revenant, pain elemental), the new strain of hellspawn liven things up pretty well on their own, different enough to change the gameplay style a la Obituary, as I believe Patterson intended. I also love its aesthetic sense. It's more colorful than Doom, kind of like an extension of Dystopia 3. I also don't mind the weapon changes, especially berserk double-fishing, as showcased in Landis's MAP31. Looking forward to the last eight maps.

Best moments for me:
- dark rectangular room in MAP10 with three shelves with monsters lowering
- the whole MAP14
- MAP17, it's a very simple idea of traps along one corridor, but has great flow
... and many, many more. OTOH I never liked MAP28-MAP30.

Monsters:

New monster       replaces          Hit points

Demon (skinless)  Demon             217 (+67)
Turbo imp         Arachnotron        60
New lost soul     Lost soul         100 (no change)
Holobot           Pain elemental    200
Holobot w/PI      Revenant          200
Minicyber         Cyberdemon        300
Cube              Mastermind        160
Demonlord         Mancubus         1400
BFG trooper       Spectre            20
My opinion about them:
Increased HP of a demon is a fantastic adea. The pinkies became too weak with the introduction of the SSG. Now you still can kill them in one shot, but not always at point blank, about 40% of the time (my estimate). Throw just four of them at the player, and he has a challenging fight now.

The quick imps are funny. Their incredible speed is offset by a long lasting firing sequence. Also funny when they fight against normal imps.

New lost soul is looking much better and is a much more intelligent monster now. The difficulty stays the same, they are not dangerous except in one spot in MAP24. They must be killed for 100% kills, which is cool.

Holobots are pretty easy, pretty good looking, but the lack of blood (or an equivalent) distracts me, you don't know if you hit them or not.

Babies cyberdemons replace the cybers, they get no damage from rocket splash damage. Still, if you are very lucky, two rockets may kill them. I think they are silly.

Cubes - same thing with no rocket splash damage, so you may kill them in one rocket shot... or four. Their sprites look bad.

BFG troopers are especialy numerous in MAP25 (on UV) and MAP27 (all skill levels). An overkill, I hate them due to no visual difference to the regular troopers.

Demonlords are great, but... there are too many monsters sharing the same sprite now (HKs, barons, demonlords). As a mancubus replacement, they do fight against barons and hell knights. The strongest monsters in the game now, obviously.

Agreed on most points. I hate the invisible holo bots, though. Instead of checking just the floor for fast moving blurs you have to scan everywhere for the slow movers, which may never register in strobing darkness.

I love all the new monsters in STRAIN, each one created new gameplay niches and are part of what made STRAIN such a unique experience, I also like how dehacked removes a monster for every monster it adds so that the monster cast isn't too broad and doesn't become as clusterfucked as what ends up happening with (to pull a figure out my ass) 99% of Zdoom wads, or to be more specific; pretty much every Zdoom level I've played that adds custom monsters hasn't been made soley by Vader or Espi or that isn't a Zhexen / Zheretic wad or a total conversion. Admitedly I haven't played any of Phobus' Zdoom maps yet. :) The bfg troopers were awesome, I really wish they were used more often and maybe looked different visually. :)

I'm surprised you didn't enjoy Map28, vdgg, quite a sureal and unique map that has totally off the wall chaotic gameplay gameplay. But then again it is quite difficult from pistol starting perspective.

I am now playing Alien Vendetta for the first time, on HNTR with Choco. Completed the first episode and loving it. MAP11: Nemesis is absolutely amazing. The architectural detail and attention to lighting/shading is impressive in this PWAD even in low detail mode.

DeathevokatioN said:

Admitedly I haven't played any of Phobus' Zdoom maps yet. :)

If I've made a lot of new monsters for a .WAD, I've probably not used most of the original cast. The obvious example is Virus Episode 1 (practically a TC; might be a bit broken in current versions of ZDoom, not sure), which only has some stock monsters in the secret level. Also White Light: 2010 Edition had no stock monsters (but was a not-very-good wave-based arena map).

Justice: Infernal Mechanics and the demo for Phobus Doom (MAP04 has the fish and jellyfish used) are probably my only examples of trying to incorporate a number of custom monsters into the standard fare, and they're mostly for situations that only ZDoom features or specific themes, such as:

-zombie scientists and "rising" variants for melee and shock-attack melee zombies
-a beefed up Baron of Hell with a close range flamethrowing attack for rare use in close quarters situations
-a couple of boss-level monsters
-a very quick, crawling monster that clanks when it walks for claustraphobic crouching vent sections
-Melee Fish, exploding starfish and flamethrowing (I made this when I was 15, fully aware that it made no sense but letting Rule of Cool win the day) Jellyfish for underwater sections

Finished STRAIN! I love MAP28, though punching those first few imps to the side is kind of sketchy. I also liked MAP29, but I'm not too fond of MAP30's Romero mechanic, not that it's hard to do over and do it right. I recalled hearing that a few Dystopia 3 maps got used in STRAIN. MAP09 wasn't much of a change, but MAP23 was one huge pain in the ass with all the new beasties crawling around. I also enjoyed playing through what I believe are the last official offerings Hermans and Nathrath, even if Nathrath's stuff was punched up after inclusion. I heartily recommend Strain, unless you're some kind of Doom-luddite that hates seeing anything non-IWAD.

On to Mordeth, finishing off 1997 with Requiem, after which I'll start playing 2011 releases.

Right now, I've gotten past Map09 of Sunder with Scoredoom, and even with the default monsters thing, the start of map10's really difficult with the cyberdemon-class replacements still there.

Finished Mordeth. Like STRAIN, Lahaut axed most of the Doom II exclusives, but the replacements are novel enough (especially the Ghoulspawns) and as advertised, it looks great and is fun exploring, like Eternal Doom. I especially liked the swamp locales and the construction of Babel. COME ON AND FINISH MORDETH, GASTON

On to Requiem, 8/32 so far. Maps are pretty much what I expected (that is, they are very good). Iikka Keranen's MAP08 was a funny feeling of deja-vu, being somewhat a fusion of themes he used in Dystopia 3 (including, interestingly, a similar mine shaft to the one in DYST3's MAP08!). Looking forward to the rest.

Playing Reverie, up to map08, enjoying it. I started this at one point but it was in beta so I started over just in case things changed.

Playing abyss24a, a really good oldschool Doom 2 style megawad. Likely moving on to the OSIRIS TC soon.

Playing Community Chest again. Currently stuck on MAP25, which sucks, but at least it's not as bad as MAP06.

So far MAP21 was my favorite, mostly because I love confusing maps. I also really liked MAP20, but it would've been much better if it weren't for all those damn voodoo dolls.

Finished Requiem a few days ago. It was excellent. The only map that really gave me trouble was Adel's MAP24, cause my eyes glazed over when trying to get into the ammo cave. I also didn't mind Windsor's micro maps, which while often considered throwaway filler were actually part of a separate project of his, a proto-Demonfear, I imagine. They stood as a nice contrast to some of the more enormous levels, like Keranen's "Cursed Kingdom".

Now playing Doom II Unleashed.

Just reached Map 10 of Vile Core. I don't know how I managed to overlook this megawad for so long, it's been around since 2000. Very much enjoying it so far, it has some neat surprises in store for the unsuspecting.

Processingcontrol said:

Playing Community Chest again. Currently stuck on MAP25, which sucks, but at least it's not as bad as MAP25.

That's nothing. Just wait until you get to MAP25 :-P

@Processingcontrol - I bet you mean Map25 of Community Chest isn't as bad as Map06. Then again, having played that latter map a few times before...

I find myself doing multiple things at the same time, rotating what I'm playing and spicing things up with mods depending on my playstyle mood at the time. For example, right now I'm playing:
- Threshold of Pain, no real modifications other than Beautiful Doom Objects & Monsters for that extra visual kick
- Assault on Tei Tenga, with "Doom 3 Weapons Reissued"
- Started Eternal Doom using a mix of Real Reloading Weapons and Brutal Doom Lite for the extra challenge and some extra potential punch to the weapons
- Started Scythe 2 with 6Axis, which spruces up the basic weapons set a bit and adds a difficulty setting-based monster mutator - something different for whenever I feel like it

Yeah, I like a little variety every now and then. ;)

gun_psycho said:

@Processingcontrol - I bet you mean Map25 of Community Chest isn't as bad as Map06. Then again, having played that latter map a few times before...

Yeah, I really need to pay more attention when pay more attention when I post. :P

Anyways, I'm taking a little break from Doom to play a little Duke Nukem War of Attrition.

I'll get back to my run on Whitemare sometime.

Just finished MAP32 of Doom II Unleashed (PC_CP.WAD). Holy Lord! That was quite exhausting; I think I need a cigarette.