Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

What are you playing now?

And hey! Map17 is right around the corner! More fun times await you... as a matter of fact, the second half of that wad consists of a lot of lengthy, challenging maps.

I'll be trying to set some free time aside for Jenesis, but that probably wont happen until the weekend. Being out of the house 12 hours a day doesn't give me much time during the week and I really need to resume mapping and finalizing my CC4 notes.

Still on CC1, now at MAP27.

It seems like "barely any ammo" is a recurring theme in these maps. I had to be really careful in Maps 25 and 26 in order to have enough, but the tiny amount given in Map27 is fucking insane. I have to chainsaw nearly every enemy I see, and since I'm keeping weapons/ammo from previous levels, it must be far worse when pistol starting...

Despite my bitching, I thought MAP26 was great with all its detail and traps. So far MAP27 has been good, but the author's two previous levels were much better IMO. Still, one thing that I really like about it is how the difficulty feels very tactic-based. Even though there's very little ammo, it feels like you could beat it easily if you had enough strategy and skill. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of skill. :(

Stuck on MAP24 of PC_CP.WAD. I'm in the area that houses the red key, having cleared both rooms out, but I can't figure out how to get the platform to lower. Hopefully it's not a puzzle I had to solve before warping in, because there's no way back out (besides idclip).

Playing Epic 2. I'm on M16 or so. I'm slow on Epic 2, cause I get stuck more often than my usual average. Every once in a while, I hit a wall that's supposed to let projectiles go through to hit some switch, but it doesn't work because of some compatibility settings. -.-

Alright, I've given up on MAP24. The big bottleneck is the red key section. Playing in ZDoom, I can make it to the red key wing. The key is on a platform. There are two switches I've hit prior to entering that area; one of them lowers a platform that surrounds the red key, and the other lowers the red key platform about halfway. This is the same switch that lowers the bars surrounding the teleporter that gets you to that wing, incidentally (I believe). Now, given the precedent, I believe that that lion gargoyle switch in the Cyberdemon room is in fact the switch that should lower the red key platform the rest of the way, but I can't activate it. Pushing, shooting, whatever. It's dead. If that isn't the solution, I have no idea what it is 'cause I've poked and shot and walked over pretty much everything in those two rooms, and this problem has soured my overall experience with the WAD. I know that skepticist has an FDA demo for this map but I'd rather blow my brains out than sit through an hour and a half demo to find out what, if anything I'm missing.

On a hunch that it might have to do with engine-specific behavior, I loaded the WAD up in PrBoom+ and can't even get past the main crossroads. That gargoyle wall by the combat shotgun won't lower. What the fuck? So irritated. And I was really enjoying this!

Edit: Okay, I just opened it up in Eternity to see what happens. When I flip the switch that lowers the red key platform in Eternity, it lowers to the floor. What is happening in ZDoom that it's only going halfway?

Deathmatcher said:

Playing Epic 2. I'm on M16 or so. I'm slow on Epic 2, cause I get stuck more often than my usual average. Every once in a while, I hit a wall that's supposed to let projectiles go through to hit some switch, but it doesn't work because of some compatibility settings. -.-

Yep, Epic 2 is so hard like the first one was hard too.

Tolwyn01 vel Outpost Recon. A true classic. Much better than Tolwyn's insrtion maps. It only lacks Tolwyn's music.

I recorded a max demo if someone's interested in this kind of stuff

Finished Doom 2 Reloaded a while ago. It was really fun though the latter half with its huge maps was a little exhausting. Also played Helltrip, by Hellbent, which had some neat features but all of the negative criticism has some merit. I will say that it eventually managed to foster an atmosphere of paranoia, but not via its visuals. Also played Lunatic, which was fantastic (as expected). I really like DeBruyne's gameplay style.

Now playing Plutonia Revisited.

Just beat level 23 of Reverie (Cyclone Rider) and goddamn it was fun! Very intense and I was playing on HMP, I don't even want to think what UV was like...

Playing The Talosian Incident (at MAP15) after constantly getting may ass kicked on Cchest. So far I think it's decent, but it gets pretty boring at times. One thing I like is how most if the maps are interconnected, and the music really gives it a unique atmosphere. It's still nowhere near as good as Requiem or Eternal doom from the same year.

Halfway through Memento Mori. Map31 was a bit strange that the Map32 was only accessible in cooperative mode. Then I just noclipped to the player 2 starting point and played the other half. Strangely I remembered playing Map32 earlier when I played Memento Mori, but I didn't remember playing Map31 at all. Also it was a bit weird that plasmagun was found so late, but I had been given a lot plasma ammo before.. well, when I found the gun in Map13, I already had 600 ammo for it! Then I felt almost like Doomguy when he found the BFG in the comic.

Jimi said:

Halfway through Memento Mori. Map31 was a bit strange that the Map32 was only accessible in cooperative mode. Then I just noclipped to the player 2 starting point and played the other half. Strangely I remembered playing Map32 earlier when I played Memento Mori, but I didn't remember playing Map31 at all. Also it was a bit weird that plasmagun was found so late, but I had been given a lot plasma ammo before.. well, when I found the gun in Map13, I already had 600 ammo for it! Then I felt almost like Doomguy when he found the BFG in the comic.

Actually, it is possible to access the secret level in single player without noclipping to the multiplayer areas. There's a certain platform that when you teleport to you have only one chance to jump through this little window to access that multiplayer area. It's a little tricky but I think it's easier just to walk into the window instead of running to it. When I reached the platform I would save it so I could attempt to jump through the window multiple times. :)

Yea, I read about that in the doomwiki about the map, but at that time I had already played the singleplayer half through and humped and shot every wall in hopes of it opening up some secret door to the other side... So that teleporter was already lowered. I think there should have been a secret exit for singleplayer mode as well.. though I might have noclipped to the other side anyway, just to see what's in there.

Before Memento Mori I played E1 through without saves, but now I'm thinking I'll play E1 through without finding any secrets, except the secret that allows me to go to the secret level, but I won't collect any items in that secret.

Now I'm up to map14 of my epic (if you could call it that) journey through the Neodoom megawad. Map13 had me stuck for a while since I didn't know that I could just run through the roof to get the red key.

Edit: Are any of the custom monsters in Neodoom resistant to splash damage aside from the vixens? (I'm definitely gonna be stockpiling those invulnerability chalices)

I'm playing DTWID. One final playthrough to make sure we haven't missed anything. ;)

Read my last post in the DTWID thread Xaser! I wan't you to consider my feedback before it's too late(which it likely is anyway but hey).

OT: I just finished NRFTL, was pretty good.

Now I'm in map21 of my journey to hell that is Neodoom. The secrets are somewhat easily accessible, but it's still a really good thing that I still keep my stockpile of immortality chalices. (Map29's the map where I'll be using them, if the Megavixen doesn't drain them first.)

Edit: I finally finished Neodoom, and I'm just glad to put that journey to rest. I'd rather deal with the scoredoom add-on pack monsters before I even think of fighting those vixens again.

Played Use3D's Nilla Doom a few days ago. It's a great, challenging mapset with some neat quirks. MAP07 was my favorite, in particular the platforming section with the crushers. It also looks phenomenal.

Still playing PRCP. Not too far in but it's decidedly familiar without being copycat-like and I don't mind the challenge as the maps are small enough for it to avoid being overbearing.

Just finished Requiem for the first time. Took long enough, huh? But at least now I understand why Iikka Keranen was a big deal to people.

Now I'm onto Doom 2 Reloaded, which has been pretty solid aside from that rather unintuitive yellow key puzzle in Map09. The detail is rather impressive without being to the point that it appears cluttered, and enemy placement is fantastic (occasionally aggravating, but fantastic). Really shows how you can give the player a tough time without using a flood of bad guys.

kmxexii said:

Played Use3D's Nilla Doom a few days ago.

One of my favourites. :)

Use3d finish Nilla

Just finished MAP31 of PRCP. It's been a blast so far, with Enigma Helix quite the adventure (and a clever secret exit trick). Ran into a serious problem in ZDoom r3322, though, with MAP31. The same activity occurs in Eternity 3.40.15 unless "Use Doom Linedef Trigger Model" is enabled. When you exit that first Cyberdemon annex with the two sergeants after having flipped the switch to reopen the door, the player will re-trigger the door closing action. Later, when the player teleports there during normal map progression, he or she will become stuck.

Recently, I've been playing the Cacoward winners that I haven't played yet. Played through and beat Lunatic the other day. Right now I'm on e1m7 of Double Impact and map09 of Vanguard.

Just got to level 28 in Memento Mori. That Showdown level was a bit suddenly, medikits everywhere, thousands of them! Twilight Lab and Fort Hades were pretty awesome.

I just finished up the zdoom community map project. The final boss wasn't too bad because he was weak to splash damage.

Edit: I'm now in map07 of Titan, and those old hectebi are getting annoying REALLY quickly.

Edit 2: I finally finished up Titan, and good riddance to those hectebi.

Edit 3: Currently playing Titan 2. Just when I thought I escaped those hectebi for good... well, though they've been given 3000 more hp, which is WAY too much, they at least don't pump out fireballs like crazy here.