Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

What are you playing now?

Up to Map16 of Kama Sutra now.

Map12 - A small map that's realatively a breather compared to map11.
Map13 - A fun map with a few tricky spots that may catch you off guard if you're not prepared. The bfg secret's pretty easy to get, as you will need it.
Map14 - A pretty tough map, with the caco swarm after getting the red skull key being the highlight of the level.
Map15 - I'll admit that it's a novelty level that still manages to be fairly challenging.
Map31 - Damn...this level... Let's just say that beating this in plain old vanilla mode may take a while unless you're a godly UV Maxer.
Map32 - Despite being a few notches down in difficulty, it's still nothing to laugh at because of the closed spaces.

Yeah, things are heating up in my run so far. However, according to my experience, Map21-30's when all bets are off. (Especially Map28. I know Sunder's Map11 makes that map look like Doom's E1M1, but still, it's a doozy.)

Playing UAC Ultra. The architecture is just good-looking enough without over-detail, the flow is so sensible and clever, and the gameplay is rock solid. Great maps, shame there are only a small number of them...

^My thoughts exactly when I played it back in March of ... 2010 I think? Maybe it was last year. Either way yeah, surprisingly balanced in all categories, felt like a throwback to late 90s early 00s episodes. Could've even been The Darkening 3.

And the third map of ALPHA Trilogy was amazing to say the least and the D64 resources I used helped it a lot despite never having played it before, I just figured they would be appropriate. The whole thing took me three hours to do, which is as long as my Doom II IWAD runs.

Almost finished with Map20 of Kama Sutra, and that map's pretty much a fair warning of how much harder it'll be from here on out.

Eviltech, on map 13 I believe.
Base Ganymede: Complete, E1M2

before that, Plutonia Revisited.

Godmoded some Slaughterfest 2011, just to see how many demons were in the base.

Finished DTWiD. Very fun, though I liked the second and third episode more than the first. The rising difficulty was probably a factor, but I think Petersen's style gave the authors more leeway to make something that looked like id but still felt pretty novel. I agree with some of the criticism leveled at the mapset, but on the whole, I enjoyed it. I'm almost more interested in seeing the maps that didn't make the cut, seeing what the deviations look like.

Nick Perrin said:

Playing UAC Ultra. The architecture is just good-looking enough without over-detail, the flow is so sensible and clever, and the gameplay is rock solid. Great maps, shame there are only a small number of them...

So true... I want UAC Ultra 2!!!

@kmxexii: Will we be seeing a "One Man Doom" review of DTWiD any time soon then? I just recently saw your review of YAKWORLD.WAD, which I'd agree is a true classic in the "not-to-be-taken-too-seriously" art of mapping.

Phobus said:

@kmxexii: Will we be seeing a "One Man Doom" review of DTWiD any time soon then? I just recently saw your review of YAKWORLD.WAD, which I'd agree is a true classic in the "not-to-be-taken-too-seriously" art of mapping.

The review will be posted on the 27th, which by an unanticipated coincidence is the 1 year anniversary of my blog's opening, similar to Hell Revealed serving as my hundredth WAD reviewed. Glad you enjoyed the YAKWORLD article! I wish there were more WADs with moments like those, like, i dunno, TOT COMICS DOOM (but with more polish).

YAKWORLD was one of my first ever played PWADs, so I felt that I had to read it. Glad I did :) Looking forwards to reading through that on Friday then!

I finished Kama Sutra, and Map30 was surprisingly difficult if you're not speedrunning it. (The kids route is even harder, funny that.)

Edit: I'm now playing Doom 2: 4X bigger edition, and it's not really much of a surprise how much harder it is.

Played and completed map29 of plutonia 2 on a whim, very hard and fantastic design.
Taking a break from hard wads, so playing thru Momento Mori for the first time. Finished MM2, but enjoying MM even more. At map07, and parts are surprisingly difficult, much more than Doom2.

Simo Malinen's magnum opus MAINANTANCE COMPLEX

Played it before, can't get enough of it still. Use of stock textures, architectural details, pacing, gameplay in general, enemy and item placement etc. it all comes off as perfect for me. Why isn't this guy mapping anymore?

Plutonia 2, CChest 2, Kama Strua and Invasion2 (Beta version - will it ever get finished?!)

I like it how Pltonia 2 maps starts off quite hard, gets easier and hard again.

K!r4 said:

So true... I want UAC Ultra 2!!!

Just finished it and yes, I want a sequel too. Thinking of upping the difficulty and playing it again.

End Game

Erik Alm, Joe Pallai, Anthony Soto, Lee Szymanski, Jan Van der Veken... everything is said. Great stuff. Map05 is awesome.

kmxexii said:

I'm almost more interested in seeing the maps that didn't make the cut, seeing what the deviations look like.

You might be able to find most of them HERE but given how long it's been since release expect a few dead links.

If you want to play any of my submissions, get THIS instead, the included maps are just a bit more polished than the versions on the site.

As for what I'm playing, rotating between several megawads including Memento Mori, Sunder, Reverie, TVR!, Vanguard and a handful of single levels. I'm kinda burnt out ATM :P

gun_psycho said:

Good luck with Map20 once you get up to it, and Maps 25-27 as well.

Thanks, hopefully I won't need it. :)

Anyways, today I spent a good amount of time trying to beat Map32, and I was finally able succeed after what seemed like a few thousand tries. The funny thing is that I probably only spent a total of 2-3 hours on it. Probably about 95% of my deaths were within less than one minute of playtime. Despite all my deaths I thought it was a really fun exciting level (and it's really not that hard once you clear the far north end).

I'm now up to Map08 of 4x bigger Doom 2. Yeah, the real concern is pretty much getting 100% kills since the monsters tend to be already stuck someplace.

Blasting through Momento Mori and loving it. Used the MAP31 map exploit to get to MAP32, which I gather was meant only as a co-op secret. Every map has been tremendous fun, and the wad has a good flow to it. Finished on MAP27 for the day. The milo casali map (23) was notable with its slaughter-style gameplay. Also MAP26 starts off with a pen of spider masterminds! The only weak point for me has been MAP25 so far.

@gun_psycho: cool you are playing through 4x! If you are using SD & add-on pack for the run, let me know if it crashes at all (or more often than usual ;-)

Blazing through Survive in Hell, up to Map10 so far. Honestly, without the add-on pack, considering that the spider mastermind's replaced, it actually makes this level set much easier, but at the same time, it's easier to run out of ammo with "vanilla" scoredoom.

Just finished E2 of DTWiD. For me, it's better than E1. Probably because E1 had too much to live up to in the original KDitD, whereas tSoH is not as iconic. Also, while often it felt like E1 was played safe, the mappers in E2 really let their imagination loose and that results in many nostalgic moments of id-style devilish ingenuity.

A few top maps in the episode. Ellmo's Mental Ward and St Alonso's the Foundry were highlights, whilst Essel-Marcaek deserve a mention for a decent Cyber boss level. Overall, I would swap most these maps for the originals, which -as good as they are- is something I could not say about E1.

I've only played E3M1 so far but it sets the tone for a brutal, less forgiving ramp in difficulty.

^Nice! Never heard/seen that one before, I'm a megawad junkie. Adding it to my list of shit I'll never get around to playing huhu.

Doing CH_Retro next, pretty sure I played this a long ass time ago but I don't remember jack other than its an E1 replacement and people liked it.

I wrapped up Survive in Hell, and that final level was a tremendous pain in the ass. I took out the big boss quickly, though.

Edit: As for Doom 2 4x bigger, I'm not gonna complete the whole thing in one sitting.

Read kmxexii's review of DTWiD - it pleased me :) They're very long, due to the map-by-map nature after the overview, but they tend to be very optimistic and enthusiastic, which is enjoyable.

Phobus said:

Read kmxexii's review of DTWiD - it pleased me :) They're very long, due to the map-by-map nature after the overview, but they tend to be very optimistic and enthusiastic, which is enjoyable.

Thank you! I was thinking of expounding on what Sigvatr did in his review, now enshrined in post hell, but I wasn't sure it was worth the effort and decided it was better off not tied to the actual review. I know I want more cool megaWADs like Perdition's Gate than the variety showcases from 2011 or tributes but I'm happy with DTWID, especially the latter two episodes.

Played processingcontrol's castle of fear, aka the stuff he cut out of his E3M8 map for DTWID. It's pretty easy but a nice little romp with tons of ammo and one of those levels where passages and areas are constantly opening as you explore.

Also played SPAWN, which is a really cool GZDOOM mapset. I didn't get a lot of mileage out of the railgun but I liked the powerups the author added and the base looks great, if really orthogonal. Also some nice fluff added here and there in usable terminals and some of the secrets.

On to UltimateLorenzo's Alkylation and then Eternally Yours, since I didn't realize Alkylation's E1 was only five maps long.

Dawn of the Dead (not to be confused with the excellent zombie film of the same name, the '78 version that is)

Wow, nice E1 mapset, ironically I actually think the E1 episode replacements that deviate from the traditional E1 style (including E2/3 enemies and weapons) are a lot more fun than just blatantly trying to copy Romero. Good looking setpieces, good gameplay, overall enjoyable with minor annoyances (the malfunctioning teleporter on E1M3 was evil when I forgot to save since the start of the map).

Albeit, I am getting sick of so much D1 lately since its almost all I'm getting by playing my downloaded WADs by file size, I've gone through a handful of E1-3 replacements and one E4 and the lack of D2 content can make it a slogfest with just the regular shottie and the lesser difficulty due to the D1 bestiary, so I used my D1toD2 mod to spice things up a little and it made a difference with this mapset.

Not the "proper" way to play but there was so many instances where the SSG shined it made it more enjoyable, and the extra D2 monsters made a few parts more challenging than they originally were. However way you play I guarantee its a pretty decent episode. Too bad Jan didn't finish one of the maps though.

Playing through Jenesis now. So far I'm in Map08, and the mapset's actually fun without being a switchhunt fest so far. I'll let you know about my opinion on the rest of the maps later.

Also, Survive in Hell's exit to Map15, I didn't have the patience to figure out, sadly. (Though surprisingly, Map31's exit to Map32 pretty much opened itself up for me automatically when I played it after progressing through it.)

Edit: Also, so far in Jenesis, finding the secrets wasn't too big an issue, and I'm not complaining in that case. (I'm not a fan of too-well-hidden secrets, especially if the rewards aren't worth the effort.)