Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

What are you playing now?

I finished Interception. Very uneven but with some pretty cool levels mixed in there...plus a few game-breaking bugs. Loved the larger stuff from ProcessingControl, the memfis levels, valkiri's stuff, and the Purist level.

Also played D2TWID, which I loved. Some great "Wow!" moments. The Keen stuff was phenomenal, I could play a Keen megaWAD. Do it, Xaser.

Played TOTLM3. It was okay but I don't think the concept really holds up well over 32 same-ish levels...which might be why alando1 decided to throw in that half-baked shadow world journey. The weapon loadout is better, though.

Action Doom 2 going for alternate endings at the moment

Project Msx with orignalwolf.wad about halfway through

Wrath of Cronos with Doom II maps about 1/4 through

Megaman 8-bit deathmatch Multiplayer

Samsara Multiplayer

Just finished D2TWID, very enjoyable. I think it succeeded at what it set out to do quite nicely. Now onto Unholy Realms.

I got around to playing Jade Earth but lost my save after about an hour of traversing the complex. It's pretty good—I think the idea of sticking to a texture theme for the entire map led to a lot of the halls and rooms feeling samey, but it's masterfully crafted with a good amount of combat.

Then I pulled up my big boy pants and played through Swim With the Whales on Hurt Me Plenty, and I found it to be a very comfortable difficulty setting. It wasn't comfortable enough that I could breeze past any combat scenarios unscathed but I also didn't find myself save scumming through fights (except the final battle as I woefully saved with low health and nothing to patch myself up with). I think I like Stardate 20X6 more upon reflection, although SWtW is nevertheless a very ample encounter-based release. "Three" levels is also the perfect amount to devote to a single color.

Probably going to finish BtSX as I had a joyous experience with the first ten levels.

I was playing Nutty DM on FYBO with other people, but in single player, I last played The Biovite Project some days ago.

Forsaken Overlook - like a big Coffee Break level with some lupinx mixed in. Fun.
Drown Stone - short but sweet. Loved the verticality.
Fuel Devourer - big and fun explorable base.
Kuchitsu - short and sweet. Would have loved to see more. Fun.
Hellbound - beautiful but boring
Pirate Doom - fantastic, loveable. Great work!
Unholy Realms - fast and furious. Excellent Doom II action.
ZDCMP2 - big, beautiful, fun. If more ZDoom maps were like this (but much smaller) I'd play more GZDOOM maps
Concerned - rocky start, gets better. E2 is my fave.
Encrypter - very fun but beginner-ish. Too short and linear to pull off the dungeon crawl feel. I'd love to see a bigger sequel.
KBOOM - 1-11 + K_BD. kesler maps get better as he ages. I hate his silent teleporters use but these were fun, though writing reviews for 1-11 in a row sucked. I can only say so much before I say too much.

kmxexii said:

Forsaken Overlook - like a big Coffee Break level with some lupinx mixed in. Fun.

Forsaken Overlook - big and fun explorable base.

Oh wow, I didn't know there was another one! :P

Nice job on the Unholy Realms review too :-)

Joshy said:

Oh wow, I didn't know there was another one! :P

Nice job on the Unholy Realms review too :-)

Sploops! And thanks!

I've been revisiting the WolfenDOOM series. I just beat Operation: Rheingold. I'm gonna start up Operation: Arctic Wolf next.

Been playing some Deus Vult II (First Edition). Surprisingly I managed to beat MAP23: Hell's Vendetta, 100%, pistol start, no deaths, in 28min. That was the only map I haven't done a UVMax for, until now. Yay!

Actual Wads
+Plutonia 2
+Plutonia Revisited
+Doom: The Way Id Did
+Hells End (my complete wad on the archives.)

My Custom PWADS (WIP)
+Doom: The Way Fellowzdoomer Played
+The Con"dens"ed Halls
+CyberBionics

plutonia experiment for the first time. playing it on UV with pistol start. oh man I reached map 24 and with the last map this megawad is starting to rape me hard with the map starts. no way to chill, just rushing through enemies looking for a place to camp and starting conquer the map sector for sector.

Currently checking out those Lainos maps, Doxylamine Moon: Overdose, 5Till L1 Complex, and Object 34: Sonar in particular.

Fuck yeah, Russian maps.

^ The original Doxylmanine Moon is one of the very unorthodox maps I referred to when I talked about Sacrament in the current DWMC thread. The 'Overdose' version you're looking at plays more like a 'normal' map, in that the main thing you do is wander about and kill monsters while looking for keys and such. Of those you've listed, Object 34 is a particular treat. I adore huge, exploratory maps like that.

I'm always glad to see new Russian community releases, they tend to have a certain something-something about them (usually in the realm of ambience/atmosphere) that makes them memorable. Incidentally, the next 'older' megaWAD I'm going to shill endlessly for in the DWMC is Eternal's 'Epic 2.'

Demon of the Well said:

^ The original Doxylmanine Moon is one of the very unorthodox maps I referred to when I talked about Sacrament in the current DWMC thread. The 'Overdose' version you're looking at plays more like a 'normal' map, in that the main thing you do is wander about and kill monsters while looking for keys and such. Of those you've listed, Object 34 is a particular treat. I adore huge, exploratory maps like that.

I get the impression that the Russian Doom community loves their Eternal Doom and TNT, from the emphasis on puzzles and quasi-realistic locations.

While this thread is a bit old, it seems to be the most recent "what are you playing" thread, so please excuse the necro. I actually read through the whole thing, and I enjoyed reading what wads other people were playing and what they think about the wads, and thought it might be worth resurrecting it rather than starting a new thread for the same purpose.

I just finished the Monolith series by Richard Wiles. It's a 6 map series from 2006-2007 for Doom 2. Overall I enjoyed it quite a bit. It starts off really action-filled, and as you go through the set it ramps right up. Wiles depends heavily on setpiece encounters, so you get some fun fights. My favorite is the pair of AV encounters in map 6 where you're well served to save the invulnerability for the second encounter. The only real negative for me was map 5 - the difficulty spike at the blue key was way too much for me to handle, and I had to cheese it completely (and abuse save / reload completely as well). The difficulty of the set was pretty high in general, I found.

It looks like Monolith was some of the last stuff he made for Doom, so I'm looking forward to playing some of Wiles' earlier levels.

• replaying D2TWID for the megawad club
• Flashback to Hell (a lot of fun)
• Epic 2 (sloooowly moving through this one for the past couple months, but approaching the end now)

Reticule1.wad

bullshit traps in the exit rooms! I like that the levels look like doom 1 though. It gives the illusion that its gonna be a piece of cake.

I've started playing through the Tab series. Kinda random, but I wanted a quick blast type of mapset to work my way through. It's... ugly. And the gameplay is pretty simple (only at Tab 7, not sure what it turns into later on, there are like 50 maps). Kinda fits the bill.

Been playing through a lot of stuff. Finished NOVA and headed on in to 10 Sectors. I tried playing ZanZan but I'm not sure that it's running correctly and have nothing to base it against for fidelity of the experience (using the GZDoom version). What I played (the first map) was really cool but I had a hard time surviving.

7hm, since this is the only similar thread (as far as I know), I think essel have to forgive it.