Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

What are you playing now?

OBLIGE 6.10

It's actually not that bad...

With the most recent Freedoom from Git (both 1 and 2). The new zombie makes things feel "better". I'm looking forward to the new shotgunguy.

I think the old ones felt just a little too "human" for comfort.

In some ways, I think Freedoom is actually starting to look better than the original Dooms. When playing Freedoom with the original Doom maps, the quality seems very close at its current stage, but obviously different. A little polishing, and some updated monsters, and it could work as a sort of total conversion that also works as an IWAD.

edit: Going Down is absolutely amazing. I almost wish the original Doom 2 IWAD had those maps.

Community Chest 2: Currently at map 25. MAP24 (The Mucus Flow) was kinda interesting (especially the music and the beginning areas), but way too frustrating and unfair (the damned Pain Elementals who inevitably clog the level with lost souls; and the idea to make you work really hard for any and all health and ammo.) Some other maps stand out, most notably MAP19 (The Marbelous Three) for good looks and gameplay. MAP15 (City Heat) is memorable mainly for one thing: the "crooked house". MAP05 (Elixir) was damn unfair; I ended up without ammo near the end, and consequently couldn't get past the final boss. MAP18 (Internal Reaches 3) was okay, but one thing I found ridiculous was the blue armor trap, which was absolutely impossible to survive even with full health.

Back to Saturn X Episode 1: Currently at map 06. I like this so far: good looks (mainly because of the new textures), nice and fair gameplay, though so far a bit on the easy side. I've heard a lot of hype for MAP15 (Tricyclic Looper) and wonder if it will live up to it.

Plutonia isn't grabbing me at the moment, so having recently run through TNT, I decided it would be the perfect time to try out TNT Renascence. I assumed it would be just TNT-themed, but no, it's basically full-on Wonderful Doom for TNT. Which is awesome. I really love having a map I think I know get turned on its ear. Renascence is maybe a little too faithful in its gameplay, but I'm still enjoying the heck out of it.

Currently alternating between TNT Renascence and Wonderful Doom, which I picked up again after realizing I'd never played its 2nd or 3rd episodes (and since I replayed E2 and 3 earlier this year...)

At the moment, though, I'm cruising through the latest version of Freedoom (Phase 1). At one point, I actually stripped the maps out of DOOM.WAD and loaded it as a PWAD just to see how the Freedoom maps worked as Doom maps, and it works perfectly, which is cool. That said, using the Freedoom resources is a lot of fun. The new sprites are much improved, the textures are pretty nicely done, if not as polished as Doom's. The entire thing actually feels like a semi-professional first-generation Doom-clone, which I'm sure was the intent; but the difference is it uses the cherished engine, and the gameplay is pure Doom. In short, it's a blast. I'm currently in the middle of E2M9, and so far my only complaint (other than some maps missing names) is the Baron replacement sprite, which isn't bad in itself, but the edges need a bit of work.

I finally got around to playing Unloved. Its really cool looking and atmospheric, and the hub system is very clever. The gameplay is a little formulaic but you can forgive quite a bit when the visuals are that engaging. However, there were some real bullshitty encounters, one of which (involving hordes, archviles, no health, tiny space and limited ammo) seemed to be impossible to survive. And so there my adventure ended, which is a shame. Maybe one day I'll start again on lower difficulty and see if that helps.

mouldy said:

I finally got around to playing Unloved. Its really cool looking and atmospheric, and the hub system is very clever. The gameplay is a little formulaic but you can forgive quite a bit when the visuals are that engaging. However, there were some real bullshitty encounters, one of which (involving hordes, archviles, no health, tiny space and limited ammo) seemed to be impossible to survive. And so there my adventure ended, which is a shame. Maybe one day I'll start again on lower difficulty and see if that helps.

I made it all the way through to the final slaughter battle(s) on HMP. After that, I had to IDKFA/IDDQD/IDCLIP my way to the end, there were just so many monsters, and basically no ammo. Still, what an amazing wad.

Salt-Man Z said:

I made it all the way through to the final slaughter battle(s) on HMP. After that, I had to IDKFA/IDDQD/IDCLIP my way to the end, there were just so many monsters, and basically no ammo. Still, what an amazing wad.

Yeah I just played through it all on HMP and its definitely a work of art. Seems like some bits are a lot easier if you know to hoard rockets/cells in advance.

Going through all the IWADs via Chocolate Doom, including Doom v1.2 for some mysterious reason (to see the few differences across the maps, I suppose). Got my first ever P_PlayerInSpecialSector crash on E3M9, thanks to some lazy tagging.

PWAD-wise, recently fucked around testing Switcheroom to check for full vanilla compatibility. I think I got everything, but probably not because I didn't 100% everything.

In between the DWMC stuff I've been playing, I've been trying to finally finish off a couple of WADs I'm in the middle of:

TNT Renascence:
Finished this off today by playing maps 9-11. Stronghold, Redemption, and Storage Facility are probably 3 of my favorite TNT maps, so their remakes here were all welcome. MAP11 in particular was quite brutal, even on HMP. (I'm pretty sure that's what I played through Renascence on.) Too bad the WAD only goes up to MAP11, there's a lot of crazy TNT levels that I would have liked to see get the remix treatment.

Wonderful Doom:
Finished off E3 today, the final Wonderful episode I had yet to complete. Unfortunately, the last half of E3 is probably my least favorite portion of any IWAD. The remix of E3M9 was great, though (as it's a remake of E1M1.)

Hell Revealed:
Still not done, but slowly working my way there. I played maps 25-26 earlier this week. MAP26 ("Afterlife") was just brutal, even on HMP. I'd take "Post Mortem" any day over that. Didn't even bother going for max stuff, just got out of there as fast as I could (which was still not particularly fast.) Never did see any ghost monsters, though, which I didn't even know should be there until I read the DoomWiki article later. Hunh.

Some maps from D!Zone Gold.

Soon will play Deathmatch 7000. Hope to find some Xmas themed wads on there since I did see some on its box art.

Also kinda messed around with WADED that was included in Deathmatch 7000.

I know it's outdated, but I wanted to see what it was like to try out that editor. Tested map, lines were facing the wrong way in sector. When that happened, crashed. Dumb of me to say, but I'll try it out again some other time with DOOM companion. Well, only its book. No disc included.

Been playing a bit of Flashback to Hell, on MAP06 right now. I'm honestly liking the homages in the maps, and the music is also quite good.

I play my own doom wads. They are exactly how I wanted them to be: great to look at. I will play them until I'm dead for sure :-), but also the other wads from my 2 Top wads lists never become old (boring)! I'm a happy custom doom wad fan. The original doom I also play! Time just seems to fly by: happy times.

After about a year of hiatus, I finally finished up Community Chest 3 (MAP20-30). Not really sure how I feel about it after completing the latter half of the set. Like with many community projects, I think the lack of focus/direction tends to make a lot of the maps forgettable when you finish up, though there were plenty of good times to be had. Dutch Devil in particular remains one of my favorite mappers I wish I could play see more of, as his contributions looked great and were quite devious at times. I also didn't expect Tropiano to deliver such a grotesquely mean & repetitive slaughtermap—it joins the Magikal's MAP29 from CC1 as an astoundingly amazing map I never, ever want to play again.

While I have some time to kill before next month rolls around, I'm probably going to finally jump into ConC.E.R.N.ed and follow it up with Draft Excluder to round out cb's Doom 1 odyssey. I'm especially curious how these maps will play without having AV and revs in tow.

moros.wad MAP02

495 monsters

no health items.

I can't believe I wasted my time trying to beat this.

Currently enjoying Scythe, around MAP 10
(with Chocolate Doom and the FreeDM IWAD)

Reasonably tough, slick design. Good stuff.

Not really playing anything at the moment. More or less screwing around with Beast Incarnation in random sp wads. When I can, I'm working on revamping the Baron arms for the wad. Also, I'm collecting pictures of tress to digitize in Doom's res and pallet. I love swamp maps and I am working on one myself, having weeping willows and swamp cypress would really make a swamp map feel more like a swamp.

replaying NDCP at the moment. I'm doing walkthroughs on the wiki now and I am just playing some random WADs as I go.

I've gotten back to replaying Plutonia on UV for the first time, I'm up through MAP14 now. Some of the maps are pretty brutal: the exit to Abattoire, facing down a Mastermind in an arena of chaingunners with single-digit health in Ghost Town, and Onslaught was just a nonstop slugfest. It seems to have mellowed out a tad in the middle maps, though. Much as I love TNT, I think I'm preferring Plutonia now; the difficulty's not really my thing, but just the layouts and architecture are fantastic, even with the limited variety of themes. They're really memorable maps just by their construction, where TNT's are often memorable for their theme.

I should also say I've been playing this with the Plutonia MIDI Pack, which is just fricking amazing. Wow. Just so well done. The music fits the maps perfectly and is just all-around great.

Rounding out my first-time-UV run of "classic" era official WADs (so, not NRFTL) I've also been picking at the Master Levels for the first time. I've played through a handful of them in the PSX TC, but this time I'm playing the real deal on UV. So far I've finished Attack and The Black Tower. Holy crap was the Black Tower a journey!

I just finished the Torment and Torture trilogy, plus the Lost Episode (damn, I fucking HATED those sniper railgunners), and now I'm playing UTnT to see how much these maps have changed.

Just played Doom II through without going to the secrets, except map07 and map19. I did go to the "unmarked secrets", and if I could grab something from a secret without triggering the secret, I did it, like the megasphere in map16 and 2 backpacks in map28. I was able to exit almost every level with 200hp & 200ap, or at least over 100 in both, and didn't pick up any green armors the whole game.

And before that no secret run, I played Doom II through normally. And before that I played the first episode of Doom II through twice.

Now the bigger 2nd and 3rd episode levels didn't feel so complicated anymore. Even map19 was fun, now that I know where to go in it.

Talosian incident.

very 1995 looking but the lighting is pretty fascinating.

BLOOD for DOS and holy cow was I missing out.

BTW, on the actual CD Rom. Found it on my 2nd City Wide Yard Sale Shopping Spree.

Edit: Oops. I forgot this was on Wads And Mods. I need to double check before posting :P

Bugger! Go me.

Finished up my UV run of Plutonia last night. Wow. I mean, I still love TNT dearly, but Plutonia is just amazing. Especially on UV. So many of these levels (along with many from TNT) are so iconic I misremembered them as being part of DOOM2. I especially love a lot of the later levels: 20, 22, 23, 26, 27 and 29 in particular. And of course Go 2 It is just a masterpiece.

Been playing Warhammer 40,000: Armageddon. Bloody brilliant, even if the Gretchin tanks and artillery are miles too tough. Grots repelling a Leman Russ detachment? Madness.

EDIT: Whoops, bit of a bugger-up there. The Doom maps I'm playing are from Panophobia.