Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

What are you playing now?

Ashstrodamus said:

Don't know how I never played through Speed of Doom. I'm on map 5 UV-Max and man is it pissing me off. Hard wad.

Have fun with map 26 and 28, that's where it truly gets brutal. 4 and 5 I remember being a pain in the ass for such early maps however.

Just started up the Plutonia Revisted Community Project. Seems pretty good so far, although I've only just completed map 5. I'm preferring it to Plutonia 2 so far, although a few of the homages seem a little too close to the original.

Finakala said:

Plutonia Revisted Community Project

I'm undecided among that and Plutonia 2. In the meanwhile I continue to play maps from the cc series (I liked Sodding Death a lot).

Finakala said:

Have fun with map 26 and 28, that's where it truly gets brutal. 4 and 5 I remember being a pain in the ass for such early maps however.

Just started up the Plutonia Revisted Community Project. Seems pretty good so far, although I've only just completed map 5. I'm preferring it to Plutonia 2 so far, although a few of the homages seem a little too close to the original.

As a matter of fact, I took a few swings at 28 yesterday. It might be almost 3,000 monsters, but I find BFG maps a little easier than others. I didn't max it, but on one run I killed about half of the monsters. It's definitely doable.

I never did finish Plutonia 2. Didn't really care for it. Felt outdated to me.

I played Plutonia 2 last year and really enjoyed it. I've recently been finding myself getting an "image" stuck in my head before eventually figuring out it was from a Plut2 map. Hoping I can get to Plutonia Revisited sometime this year...

Salt-Man Z said:

I played Plutonia 2 last year and really enjoyed it. I've recently been finding myself getting an "image" stuck in my head before eventually figuring out it was from a Plut2 map. Hoping I can get to Plutonia Revisited sometime this year...

I made it to about map 6 or 7. It felt like a chore more than fun. I re-discovered Resurgence and I'm having FUN with that one.

Been revisiting Heretic the proper way, through steam dosbox version, using only keyboard and feeling the good old nostalgia back in the days when I played it with my mom(I was into doom, she liked Heretic because of the fantasy and lack of blood). I'm up to E3M3 right now and I'm very impressed with some of the level design, there are some very interesting stuff I must've forgot since I didn't play it for quite a while. Because I'm using only the keyboard(just like when I did when I was kid) and the fact that I'm pistol-starting every level, the game is much more challenging, especially since I'm on UV(obviously). Luckily I'm quite familiar with the game and secrets are well known to me and are immensely useful. I'm also quite surprised how viable random looting from monsters is and how it can really help to overcome a rather difficult area with a much better random ammo drops.

Been playing some D2TWID and having a pretty good time. The Commander Keen secret levels made me ragequit before so I think I'll be skipping those. I couldn't really enjoy PRCP compared to Plutonia 2. I felt like the iconic maps 11, 31 and 32 were especially disappointing in it. Maybe it's the whole vanilla wad thing, but the levels felt overly cramped and under-detailed.

Playing through TNT Evilution currently; yes, I'm a baby who hasn't played that and Plutonia yet.

Maybe Doom The Way Id Did It next.

SFoZ911 said:

Been revisiting Heretic the proper way, through steam dosbox version, using only keyboard and feeling the good old nostalgia back in the days when I played it with my mom(I was into doom, she liked Heretic because of the fantasy and lack of blood). I'm up to E3M3 right now and I'm very impressed with some of the level design, there are some very interesting stuff I must've forgot since I didn't play it for quite a while. Because I'm using only the keyboard(just like when I did when I was kid) and the fact that I'm pistol-starting every level, the game is much more challenging, especially since I'm on UV(obviously). Luckily I'm quite familiar with the game and secrets are well known to me and are immensely useful. I'm also quite surprised how viable random looting from monsters is and how it can really help to overcome a rather difficult area with a much better random ammo drops.

I highly, HIGHLY recommend you check out Masters of Chaos if you haven't already and you're in a Heretic mood. That megawad is something special, and not just because it's the only Heretic megaWAD out there that I know of. Some of that architecture is amazing and most of the new monsters and weapons feel right at home.

On topic, continued with PRCP. Definitely preferring this to Plutonia 2 now, it feels really great. Caughtisle was hectic as hell but super fun, and Will You Be My NME? is Arch-Violence but done so, SO much better. Hit map 15, saw the monster count and decided to call it a day for now.

Decided to kick it oldschool and play Memento Mori without any gameplay mods. What's the deal with all the plasma cells in the levels though? I found the first Plasma Rifle in map 14 and was at 600 cells at that point. Did I miss a much earlier PR or something?

There's a secret one on MAP07, iirc it's the first one that you can pick up.

Finakala said:

I highly, HIGHLY recommend you check out Masters of Chaos if you haven't already and you're in a Heretic mood. That megawad is something special, and not just because it's the only Heretic megaWAD out there that I know of. Some of that architecture is amazing and most of the new monsters and weapons feel right at home.

On topic, continued with PRCP. Definitely preferring this to Plutonia 2 now, it feels really great. Caughtisle was hectic as hell but super fun, and Will You Be My NME? is Arch-Violence but done so, SO much better. Hit map 15, saw the monster count and decided to call it a day for now.

I'm a big Heretic/Hexen fan, even more than Doom and I already played Moc11 the day it was released. In fact, I'm currently working on a Heretic episode with some help from my brother that is inspired by Moc11.

rileymartin said:

Decided to kick it oldschool and play Memento Mori without any gameplay mods. What's the deal with all the plasma cells in the levels though? I found the first Plasma Rifle in map 14 and was at 600 cells at that point. Did I miss a much earlier PR or something?

In a secret in map 07, you can take it after you grab the blue key

That's good to know and would've been nice to have. One of the things that's a bit rough about the first half is how stingy rocket ammo is which leads to rather slow SSG play.

Well, finished Epic 2. On the whole it was an awesome experience though I must say that the cool moments were diluted a bit by some gameplay tropes and less inspired decisions. I'm really glad that I finally played this wad. Now I'm replaying Eternal Doom IV, the hub was really fast to pass (I already what to do) but I was more looking forward to revisit the other levels. Also I resumed my Deus Vult II playthrough in the space level after 7-8 months.

Finakala said:

Playing Speed of Doom right now, UV/Pistol start/No save with prb+, and currently at 28. 26 and 28 are massive but there's a lot of margin for mistakes and room for fleeing/crowd management. This is Joshy's maps that are murdering me, especially since I am at Ep3. 21, 23 and 27 are dicks with the player. I don't remember much about 29 but I guess I'll get a lot in the face.

Kira said:

Playing Speed of Doom right now, UV/Pistol start/No save with prb+, and currently at 28. 26 and 28 are massive but there's a lot of margin for mistakes and room for fleeing/crowd management. This is Joshy's maps that are murdering me, especially since I am at Ep3. 21, 23 and 27 are dicks with the player. I don't remember much about 29 but I guess I'll get a lot in the face.

Is 23 the Ivy one, because that was rage enducing to pistol start. And the uv-max run has that BFG jump which took me like 20 attempts to get down. 27 was just annoying with high HP snipers in the dark. I think I just prefer the wad from maps 1 to 26.

rileymartin said:

Is 23 the Ivy one, because that was rage enducing to pistol start. And the uv-max run has that BFG jump which took me like 20 attempts to get down.

Yeah that one, I looked at the maxrun after and the BFG jump was so much easier than my own winning strategy.

Spoiler

Get the SSG and CG on the left, go to the BFG room and jump in lava. Get the spider to shoot on me so that it hits cacos. While the spider is busy, activate the switch and fend my way through imps, the archvile and the mancubus. Clean the ledge from former humans with the CG. Jump to get the BFG.

Yeah, complicated.

SFoZ911 said:

I'm a big Heretic/Hexen fan, even more than Doom and I already played Moc11 the day it was released. In fact, I'm currently working on a Heretic episode with some help from my brother that is inspired by Moc11.

I still need to play MoC, but I'd also highly recommend SINFUL DISCHARGE. I've played it a few times over the years, to me it's basically the 6th episode.

Replaying MAP32 of Eviltech. Still I'm very emotional about it. Admiring how all these "tribute" areas are beautifully connected but also filled with rage about cyberdemon placement (10% chance of survival at the end of a long map, did I miss some trick method or something?), an unreachable secret and Limbo-like maze with rad suit leaking.

Been playing Memento Mori 2. Quite a bit harder than the first one judging by the 6 maps I've played, with very little health provided. Took a break after getting frustrated by map 07.

Plutonia 2 (at map 22 atm) uv, pistol start, no saves (never play with saves). So far I can say this is one of the best megawads I've played

The other night I finished up the second episode of No End In Sight, which has just been fantastic. What's the status on the fourth episode?

Finished Plutonia 2 some time ago. Definetly in my top 5 of favourite megawads. While the monsters counter is superior then plutonia all the maps flow very well. Shame two of the best levels (Lurking Fear and Black Ice) have bugs which prevents max kills

Been playing some Congestion 1024. I'm up to map 31 and I'm not sure how I feel about some of the gameplay decisions. The fact that you spend most of the time with 100HP and no armour leads to a lot of cheap feeling deaths.