Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

What are you playing now?

6 hours ago, Deadwing said:

That's why I almost never finish an IoS level.

Same. Usually I give it a few legitimate tries and then just IDDQD it. And even then it can be difficult! D2TWID I actually didn't mind too much, though, because the spawning hordes were only a minor obstacle to figuring out the (fairly clever, if not particularly easy) puzzle. So that one I did legit.

4 hours ago, Gez said:

I just played through Equinox and the last two levels (12 and 13) were bullshit.

Word; I said much the same just 6 posts back. It's a shame because it's such a fantastic WAD up until the MAP12 finale.

Finished up Italo Doom, moved onto Miasma.  The visuals are impressive and the midi is great.  I've only killed maybe 150 monsters so far before stopping last night but I'm really digging the atmosphere and architecture already.

I'm still stucked in Ancient Aliens universe. I will be sad when I finish this megawad. 

@Deadwing The worst Icon battle I've done so far in my Dooming has been the 1994 Tune-up Community Project, seriously screw the guy who decided you needed to be harassed by FOUR spitters.

51 minutes ago, loveless said:

moved onto Miasma.  The visuals are impressive and the midi is great.  I've only killed maybe 150 monsters so far before stopping last night but I'm really digging the atmosphere and architecture already.

I advice you to search all the secrets/optional areas for not miss all the amazingness

3 minutes ago, Paul977 said:

I advice you to search all the secrets/optional areas for not miss all the amazingness

I want to do this but I don't want to spoil it D:  Is there a real "point of no return" in the map?  I'd like to backtrack for secrets before reaching the end.

Doing BTSX E2 with Crispy Doom and reveling in the feeling of kicking the asses of scenarios that seemed nearly impossible three years ago. I feel like I owe The Green Herring an apology for bitching out "Shrine to the Dynamic Years (Athens Time Change Riots)" back in the old DWMC thread; I had a lot of fun playing cat and mouse with the skeleton horde this time around, and barely took any damage at all.

On 5/24/2017 at 0:52 PM, cyan0s1s said:

@Deadwing The worst Icon battle I've done so far in my Dooming has been the 1994 Tune-up Community Project, seriously screw the guy who decided you needed to be harassed by FOUR spitters.

Wasn't there some Polish megawad that had like eight or twelve spitters that rapidly turned the map into a horrific slaughterfest that got worse and worse with every passing second? I remember the entire megawad had some of the worst music ever put in Doom but that's about it.

Over the weekend I finished off Monti's Mano Laikas (HMP). Absolutely amazing, and hey, an IoS that wasn't absolute BS! My favorite of his is still the original (not Alpha) Favillesco episodes, but this is right up there--though a completely different animal.

Last night I blitzed through E3M2-M6 of No End in Sight (UV); I had played it quite a while ago on HMP while it was still in progress, and some levels were apparently unfinished (like the BFG+zombies M4 that I found fun at the time) and I hadn't known about or found the secrets levels: M5 was super fun, and M6 was an absolute monster. Wowzers. Almost made me regret bumping it up to UV for this replay. Really looking forward to taking a second crack at M7, though.

Rush. I'm currently on map 12 and have done all of them saveless except this one is giving me a bit of trouble for now.

Finally played through @jazzmaster9's Innocence X2 on HMP yesterday. (I played X1 on UV and found it incredibly frustrating, and the step down helped my enjoyment a lot.) I blasted through all 10 level in two sittings, and it was fantastic! The secret level where you fight nazis on a giant moving tank fortress (!) blew my mind, and now I want (nay, demand!) an entire "Wolfencence" episode. :D

16 minutes ago, Salt-Man Z said:

The secret level where you fight nazis on a giant moving tank fortress (!) blew my mind, and now I want (nay, demand!) an entire "Wolfencence" episode. :D

Im glad you enjoyed it :)

About that Wolfensrwin episode. You're gonna get what you wish in X3 since there will be an episode dedicated to Wolfenstein.

Scythe 2. Good shit. On the second or third Egypt map right now. The levels in this WAD are really immersive and feel really professional. It's pretty difficult, too! Being made to fight a cyberdemon in such an enclosed space felt a little unfair, but otherwise it's a fantastic piece of work so far.

Sticked a few days ago with the DWMC, playing Newgothic Movement 2, something I would have never chosen on my own, but it's something different and I'm going well, looking forward to finnish the wad with a sweet taste in my mouth. 

Also, still haven't finnished Harmony. Quit in map06 a month ago due to being quite unfair and unfun for my taste... 

Apart from that I've been testing FreeDoom phase 2 and I'm quite impressed with the monsters sprites and sounds. Well, for most of them, there are a few I don't like at all, so I'm going to wait for future releases if they get (completely) modified. 

4 minutes ago, Cackledemon said:

Scythe 2. Good shit. On the second or third Egypt map right now. The levels in this WAD are really immersive and feel really professional. It's pretty difficult, too! Being made to fight a cyberdemon in such an enclosed space felt a little unfair, but otherwise it's a fantastic piece of work so far.

I remember those days, when the first 2 episodes of Scythe 2 felt hard.... Those days ended when I finished the last 2 episodes of Scythe 2! ;-)

Fighting a cyberdemon in that "enclosed space" (I assume your talking about "Graverobbers"?) is nothing compared to the end of map 10, which is also nothing compared to the end of map 15, which is also nothing compared to the end of map 20, which is also nothing compared to all of maps 23, 25, 26, 27, 29, and 30. You're in for a crazy ride!

I'm playing Icarus for the first time and enjoying it somewhat though I think I should have selected Ultra Violence instead of Hurt Me Plenty because I feel overpowered.  Is there a console command to change difficulties at the start of a level and still use my Save games?  I'm on the darkness level (?) where you're fumbling around in the dark trying to find a way to progress all the while dealing with various baddies trying to butt-hurt you.  It's clever, a nice challenge and different than what I'm used to in wads.  I'm also playing it in PrBoom+ without the bilinear filtering but with OpenGL for framerate reasons so it looks colorfully pixelated.  I'm finding it enjoyable.

Playing Rising Storm 1 cause i got it for free. Thinking of picking up the sequel after I'm done playing around with the first.

After finishing (again) Brotherhood of Ruin (classic!) I decided to try BoR_lost.pk3 (The Lost Temple) for ZDoom.

I remember one specific feature in the original Brotherhood that influenced my mapping a lot: no former humans AKA zombiemen!

The Lost Temple is a long level with a different philosophy. It uses former humans, I think it also uses more pain elementals than the original and also boss monsters. These took a while to kill without the BFG (I found 0/4 secrets). Good level, but not as memorable as the original Brotherhood of Ruin.

Valiant E3, and dying a lot.  Currently at MAP17 right now.

Edit:  I just started E4, and now I'm like "...Yeah I'm done."

Edited by Psyrus

played the first five levels of tnt: revolution on easy as possible mode. third and fifth maps ruled to just bomb around and enjoy as locations - the other three maps kinda just felt like textured geometry if you get my meaning, but they still looked great. the midis for map 3 and 5 ruled too which helped a lot

Replayed The Classic Episode for at least the third time, first time on UV. Man, this is so much fun. It's like 90% imps and shotgunners, too, which is one of my favorite ways to play. For the longest time, I (mis)remembered E2M9 as being from Thy Flesh Consumed, and M6 is one of the final "What WAD was that level from" holdouts I've had floating around in my brain for years. Great stuff.

Also just played through The Darkening (UV) for the first time. What a blast. Looks good, plays great. Similar to Classic Ep in that it's a lot of low-tier baddies (fun!) punctuated by the occasional Doom II toughie popping up. (I was fairly regularly killed by the archie and baron traps.) Much like the Memento Mori WADs (which I played for the first time a couple years back) I can't believe I'd gone this long without playing this. Just a classic, rock-solid Doom II PWAD.

Resurgence, UV pistol starts and saveless.  I'm on map 19 now and it's definitely much easier going than map 18, that one took me a few days.  I died on map 19 in the final hall of Barons and Revenants which was frustrating.

Replaying Epic 2 UV-Pistol Starts and saveless. I've played it continuous way back but resource scarcity is quite surprising playing from scratch and makes finding secrets all the more (mandatory) rewarding. Also, map16 is no joke.

Right now I'm playing Doom II The Way Id Did.  Not nearly as good as the classic original (Doom II is, imo, the greatest PC game of all time) but still quite fun with classic doom gameplay and a nice variety of levels and challenges.  I've got about 6 maps left in D2TWID, and if I complete it, it will be a milestone in my Doom user-created content playing experience - the first time I've actually finished a 32-map megawad.   I usually get bored or hit an insurmountable obstacle by the 20th lvl or so.  The "cartoon" map was an unexpected pleasure.  Looks all lovely and cell-shaded-esque.

Played through Rise of the Wool Ball (M) over the weekend, and it was (of course) frickin' amazing.

Currently playing The Darkening 2. Right off the bat, this looks and feels like a completely different animal than the first one. The gameplay is much more vicious, and health in the first few levels is particularly stingy, to the point where I (playing continuously) was starting multiple maps off with single-digit health. Gulp. I notice I've played 2.5 of these maps before (5 to halfway through 7) because when I played Darkening: Aftershock (which requires the Ep2 WAD be loaded before it) a couple years back, I didn't realize it was only 4 maps long, and kept playing on before realizing my mistake. :D

Lately, Police Brutality has been my jam. It's well made, trashy goodness that makes me reminiscent of early 90s action movies and Lethal Enforcers. Gonna try it out in a moment with The Darkening 1. 

Right now I'm doing the Final Doom WADs for the first time. I'm on MAP21 of Evilution and then I have to do Plutonia. Although I may do some other stuff between the two FD WADs. I have Lunatic and the ultimate Doom II beta levels that I will probably play before I do Plutonia.

Recently played through Memento Mori 1 and 2, cool stuff! Had only played about 5 maps of the first one previously. Map 9: High-Tech Grave of MM is my favorite map of both sets by far, really cool map. Thomas's other maps are cool too, but that one really grabbed me. I kept replaying it until I got good at it (on HMP), posted a vid in the Doom vid topic.

Currently on map 21 of Scythe, been enjoying it! Now it's in hell and I enjoy the atmosphere, I prefer this look of hell over the guts-walls stuff, I love a good death metal album cover but some of that is just not pleasing to my eye. This molten stuff, blood rivers, red brick, I dig. And the castles seen in other hell maps are cool too. I'm usually not a slaughter guy and this wad has a reputation for the later levels, so they may slay me.

Also played EPIC recently (the first one), great stuff.