Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

What are you playing now?

TNT Revilution, MAP19 is reached. There are cyberdemon somewhere...

MAP15 along the favorites.

My only complain is kinda rough ending of MAP04.

Finished NOVA II yesterday, a superior sequel to the original but not without its incredibly difficult fights towards the end, like the hardest I've had in a very long time. I bet it's not even remotely close to what the skill ceiling is nowadays though. Right now I'm just playing with my personal mod through the IWADs (will share a bunch of screenshots at some point).

Finnished ConC.E.R.Ned including Draft Excluder by Cannonball, now back again to something for Doom 2, I chose Unholy Realms to play with crispy. The demos desync so I tested the first map. Too short to have an initial impression but I'll see later, so far I could see instapops are back :S

Doom: The Lost Episode, aka semi-unofficial Episode 5: Evil Unleashed. Some people seem to really hate this but I think it's alright so far. Hard as hell with my personal mod however, and pretty damn scary at times. I replaced the music with tracks from DmC: Vergil's Downfall and they fit really well.

Been playing a lot of Project Brutality 3 Daarkon edition beta on Maps of Chaos overkill and Hell on Earth starter pack.  Also I'm really into Strange Aeons, it's freaky and I love it.

Just finished Doom 2 The Way Id Did. Played in UV difficulty, weapon carry overs, around 15 hours in total.

Very solid and enjoyable gameplay overall, but the Icon Of Sin level left a bad taste in the mouth - this was the silliest one I've yet seen, and that's saying something. Can anyone recommend a decent Doom 2 megawad without an IoS finale, as this is something which is beginning to alienate me from these wads?

I'm finishing up Doom II The Way id Did. Just before that, I finished Obituary, and then AD_79's Plutonia-based mini-episode which really impressed and engaged me for an hour and a half. Playthroughs on hiatus include Rise of the Wool Ball, my first run of Heretic (it's sadly been a real stop-and-go experience), and some others I probably forgot about.

2 hours ago, Summer Deep said:

Can anyone recommend a decent Doom 2 megawad without an IoS finale, as this is something which is beginning to alienate me from these wads?

Try this out. No IoS ending :)

4 hours ago, Summer Deep said:

Can anyone recommend a decent Doom 2 megawad without an IoS finale

Well, if you're into harder maps, Valiant, which is what I'm currently playing, after finishing Vanguard and Lunatic. Currently about halfway through the first episode.

18 hours ago, Summer Deep said:

Very solid and enjoyable gameplay overall, but the Icon Of Sin level left a bad taste in the mouth - this was the silliest one I've yet seen, and that's saying something.

Man, as someone who absolutely loathes IoS maps, I thought the one in D2TWID was rather clever, and one of the few I've beaten legitimately.

Myself, I'm trying to finish up both PRCP and Moonblood before the end of the year (on the 3rd ep of each.)

After it lying dormant for months, I finally finished Pirate Doom.  The final boss killed me over 30 times before I worked out a semi-reliable approach and got that magical run where I didn't get blown up by explosives, melted by mancubi, or keep wandering into the firing paths of other enemies too often.  The save at the start of the last map dates back to June but due to my indecisiveness on how to approach the map, played through all of Deus Vult 2 for the megawad club (among other side trips) before returning to complete this journey.

Also been playing around with Simon's Destiny.  Somehow made it through stages 3 and 4 without a dedicated save slot, only using the autosaves.

I have been playing 2002 ADO in my free time lately. Currently I am at E2M6 and I love the gameplay. The level design is nice, the difficulty is well executed, hitscanners are put to good use and I never felt that they were placed cheaply (except in one level from E2, where the gimmick was teleporting Sergeants, but truth be told, you had a good second or two for reaction, after you saw them).

Also, IT IS A WAD FOR ULTIMATE DOOM!!! That alone is a huge plus. I mean, it is the first megawad I play in Ultimate Doom and everything about it screams quality.

Working my way through parts of DTWID Lost Episodes. The E4 maps were mainly of very pleasing quality and were a decent challenge on UV with pistol starts. I then had a go at the same episode's first level using Project Brutality and was quickly brought back down to earth as I couldn't manage to get more than about 10% of the map done....

Also used E1 to try out Complex Doom. Good fun doing it this way, I can't really summon much enthusiasm for unmodded Knee Deep In The Dead levels these days.

I chose Valiant to start tomorrow with glboom+, as I'm in the mood for new monsters plus gorgeous visuals. Tested map 01 and, well visually is really really nice, kinda like DVII maps early maps, the crates part seemed a bit unfitting. I liked the new imps, and the pinkies look creepy. It seems like old vanilla punching side-effects will punish me more often than I thought, since they bite quicker. The pistol it's faster but uglier, ups and downs. This is just the beginning, in-game demos look promising, I felt Ancient Aliens vibes to be honest.

Apart from that I finally got back to play Eviltech's map 33 and 34 in ZDoom, the first one is a complete hitscan nightmare, very low health, and many dickish chaingunners/barons, more of the second episode, still has the best cyberdemon placement (the only one, actually). The other map was absolute fun, a map full of long tight corridors that get flooded by fodders, archies and barons(!), how did I missed this map before??.  

Giving Alien Vendetta a try, playing in HMP difficulty with weapon carryovers and saves, so some might argue that I'm ducking the challenge of this wad. 

In actual fact it's been very manageable so far (15 levels), and I've found the overall standard of maps to be mixed, but generally above average. 'Toxic Touch' seemed somewhat overhyped, but 'Nemesis' and a good few others have been excellent.

I did notice when playing level 14 'Overwhelming Odds' that in the Northernmost room, as well as an apparent 'fake exit' with a non-opening door, there's also another small locked door. Out of curiosity I noclipped through this and found myself in a large circular corridor which leads to a central hall with an alternative level exit. This doesn't seem to be a secret exit, as it is followed by the standard map 15 'Bulls On Parade'. Weird. Can anyone shed any light on this?

20 minutes ago, Summer Deep said:

I did notice when playing level 14 'Overwhelming Odds' that in the Northernmost room, as well as an apparent 'fake exit' with a non-opening door, there's also another small locked door. Out of curiosity I noclipped through this and found myself in a large circular corridor which leads to a central hall with an alternative level exit. This doesn't seem to be a secret exit, as it is followed by the standard map 15 'Bulls On Parade'. Weird. Can anyone shed any light on this?

It could be the deathmatch portion of the map. Many megawads from the 90's have deathmatch or multiplayer parts, you may have noticed in Memento Mori how you couldn't get 100% items as some are in those isolated portions. 

Thanks, that makes perfect sense to me, though I've no experience or knowledge of deathmatch levels and the like. Didn't see any ammo or pickups in there, by the way.

Just had fun on a Plutonia 2 server over ZDaemon; I joined in on MAP17 and ended up playing it to the end (save for MAP27 for the most part).

Finished Fava Beans, playing Back to Basics.

E: Well goddamn that was tedious AF. An episode for Doom shouldn't be as long as Doom II itself, especially when it's this grind-y and monotonous to play through. It's not fun to rely solely on the shotgun because there's barely enough ammo for anything else.

Edited by cyan0s1s

been replaying Vanguard, having trouble with teh 13 Angry Archviles without saves - can't get teh timing down for the yellow key fight and I suspect there's a rocket launcher I haven't located which would make the whole ordeal less painful. i've cleared the area out of secondary bad guys before but still succumbed to teh viles because dispatching them is so slow and miserable... I'm trying to get a little better at levels which deserve playing but its tough going cos I'm the opposite of a gaming athlete and play generally like a fireball-eating moron

I love Doom 1 difficulty where you can just wade through enemy projectiles and laugh (which makes NEIS E1 the wad of the year tbh), there's some strange barbarian spirit to how violently you can rush through that stuff :)) but Arch-Vile attacks you can't just brush off so easily

update: pistol started maps 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 without saving and had a great time. o:) i know what's coming next though

I think Vanguard is one of teh treasures of Doom mapping in general but I know the maps I have left are ones I personally need to use saves to beat

Of course me bumping this, so Valiant was a great experience and I'm willing to play more from Skillsaw someday. Anyway, I decided to play an old wad with crispy as a contrast to modern dooming, Hell Revealed was my choice, including a dehacked courtesy of antares031 for the DWMC. Just watched the in-game demos and tested the first map, pretty basic, punching pinkies is fun. The status bar though, simple but love me some hot red.  

Still have Maskim Xul going on too, it'll have to wait.