Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

What are you playing now?

@cyan0s1s Tis an awesome megawad, the first hell level I got to looked a bit boring and I nearly lost interest. However glad I didn't, some of the hell maps were probably the best maps in the set.

Got 6 maps into Reverie and I'm unsure atm, then started playing TNT and on map 14 so far.

Also playing a bit of Skynet atm as well.

I just started play Valiant, because I've never played to be honest. I'm digging all those curves and aesthetics. 

Playing a little more of Requiem. I played it a lot today, this wad is sick.

Replaying Reverie (on UV for the first time) for the DWMC.

Also, last night I started in on 2002: A Doom Odyssey (Anniversary Edition), which is a lot of fun, but man. A lot of secrets seem to be of the unmarked wall-humping variety, most egregious thus far being the secret exit from E1M3, which I only found via IDDT.

From an artistical point of view I wouldnt call it "playing"  - but just some IdleGames left after I finally quitted playing Mush (MT) in 2-3 languages ....^

2 hours ago, Salt-Man Z said:

Replaying Reverie (on UV for the first time) for the DWMC.

Same here.

Playing through Vanguard on HMP, beaten about 6 levels so far. The level with 13 archviles was the only really difficult one.

LOL I've just finished !FUBAR2 on UV difficulty. It's a sprawling 1995 wad, not laid out very intuitively and for that reason progress is difficult, not to mention the hellishly tough combat in one or two areas. On my first attempted playthrough, the end screen came up immediately after the red key was picked up with 35 kills completed, but that was almost certainly a bug, as there are around 250 monsters in the map. My final total was 82% kills and 100% secrets.

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/d-f/fubar2

4 minutes ago, galileo31dos01 said:

I'm playing Community Chest, currently on map 07, so far I've only liked maps 01 to 03, while maps 04 and 05 were ok and 06 was plain bad. Hopefully I can find more enjoyable levels.  

Map 06 was really bad that's for sure, but if you thought map 06 was plain bad, just wait until you get to map 29.

4 hours ago, Lingyan203 said:

Map 06 was really bad that's for sure, but if you thought map 06 was plain bad, just wait until you get to map 29.

Yeah, those two maps really drag down my overall enjoyment of the first Community Chest. When/If I ever play through it again I plan on using a gameplay mod that lets me map break because I can't be bothered to play those maps legitimately after the first time of suffering through them.

As for me, playing through TNT: Evilution (again), this time with the Doomzone mod as I plan on playing through the IWAD with all of the classes. I would have been done with my playthrough of the Support class sooner but my GZDoom upgrade from 3.2.4. to 3.2.5. fucked that up. Oh well. Got a better loadout as a result of that at least. :v

Finished TNT, rather a mixed bag. However some maps were truly awesome!

Not sure what to play next, might give Reverie another bash.

Playing Icarus for Doom 2. I really enjoy this so far, and definitely superior to Evilution, but we'll see the final verdict when all's done.

But what's with the overused level exits, 10 maps into it and always the same thing lol.

4 hours ago, Agent6 said:

Playing Icarus for Doom 2. I really enjoy this so far, and definitely superior to Evilution, but we'll see the final verdict when all's done.

But what's with the overused level exits, 10 maps into it and always the same thing lol.

I like Icarus's level exit templates; they're kind of comforting in a way. I like how they tell you what's coming up next, story-wise: Teleporting down to a planet? Heading back up to the ship? Stepping into the simultaor? Also, in an era when signposting the exit wasn't always done, it's nice to have it made so clear. (Indeed, MAP25 starts out with the exit teleporter box right in front of you, but elevated so that you have to find your way to it.)

Once you're done, you can check out Eternal's ICAR2015, which is a fun 11-map love letter to the original.

I decided to play through this year's Cacoaward winners, so I blew through lillith.pk3 and Shadows of the Nightmare Realm the other day. Two very great showcases of the (G)ZDoom engine, for two very different reasons. Next on the list is No End in Sight, which I started playing back in March, but had to put on hold and never got back to. I was really enjoying it during that playthrough, so I'm excited to give it another shot.

Giving Winter's Fury a try, did the first four levels on 'Hypothermia' difficulty setting. On the evidence of the first two maps, I can see why some people rate this as among the very best modded Doom versions, if not the best. This is amazing stuff, graphically and gameplay wise.

My enthusiasm has cooled a little on playing the two subsequent levels. I really don't tend to enjoy old-fashioned boss battles which involve running around the perimeter of an arena-like space, pumping endless ammo into some monstrosity which looks as if it'll never die. That's what level three involves. When the annoying bastard was finally dispatched, LOL, level four consisted of running around another arena like a headless chicken while trying to deal with TWO of the exact same bastards. As John McEnroe once famously said. "You cannot be serious, man!". Well hopefully there'll be at least two or three decent maps now before another pile of nonsense is served up....

I was actually expecting a problem or two running this game - it seems to have a reputation for being quite demanding or fussy on some systems, but it's behaved perfectly (with GZDoom 3-2-0) on the setup I'm using, namely a laptop with i3 processor, 8GB RAM, and the much maligned Windows 8.1 OS. Not a hint of slowdown, freezing or stuttering so far.....

Edited by Summer Deep

After tackling the first Community Chest project, I just downloaded Operation BIOWAR to play with crispy. The first map looked so familiar and, well it didn't take too long for me to realize that it was the original map that Operation NOOB copy-pasted. Did well on removing that thing from my wads' folder...  

Just finished powering through plutonia for the first time in well over a decade, felt good! Some of the level designs are fantastic. I've played 3 megawads in about 3 months, which is more than I have played in a very long time. 

If you haven't yet played the Kill 'em with Kindness mod, then you really should do that. It's kind of wonderful. Just wish there was more of it. 

On 12-1-2018 at 4:57 AM, Summer Deep said:

Giving Winter's Fury a try, did the first four levels on 'Hypothermia' difficulty setting. On the evidence of the first two maps, I can see why some people rate this as among the very best modded Doom versions, if not the best. This is amazing stuff, graphically and gameplay wise.

My enthusiasm has cooled a little on playing the two subsequent levels. I really don't tend to enjoy old-fashioned boss battles which involve running around the perimeter of an arena-like space, pumping endless ammo into some monstrosity which looks as if it'll never die. That's what level three involves. When the annoying bastard was finally dispatched, LOL, level four consisted of running around another arena like a headless chicken while trying to deal with TWO of the exact same bastards. As John McEnroe once famously said. "You cannot be serious, man!". Well hopefully there'll be at least two or three decent maps now before another pile of nonsense is served up....

I was actually expecting a problem or two running this game - it seems to have a reputation for being quite demanding or fussy on some systems, but it's behaved perfectly (with GZDoom 3-2-0) on the setup I'm using, namely a laptop with i3 processor, 8GB RAM, and the much maligned Windows 8.1 OS. Not a hint of slowdown, freezing or stuttering so far.....

I agree. I don't like Winter's fury for the same reasons

I was long overdue with playing "Doom the way ID Did", finished it and it was excellent and then i began playing D2TWID.

Memento Mori.  I remember now why I never finished it before, always got stuck on that damn MAP04.  Ended up looking up a walkthrough this time.  I guess the idea of a map that plays differently in co-op than in single is kind of cool but I can't help but feel like there had to be a better way to implement it than mandatory secret hunting for a back route if you're alone.

^^  MM2 has a similar issue, also in map 04 if I recall correctly. Not sure if it's co-op related, but progression depends on finding a switch which is very well disguised indeed, in the wall of a cave. In my view that pretty much counts as a 'secret', and shouldn't have been used the way it was. MM2 is otherwise an excellent megawad, but that bit really grated with me.....

6 hours ago, Shanoa said:

I was long overdue with playing "Doom the way ID Did", finished it and it was excellent and then i began playing D2TWID.

If you liked DTWID, be sure to give DTWID: Lost Levels a try. There's so much great stuff that didn't make the final project. 

Between being not sure about what to play and downloading wads to put them off for some other day, I finally decided to play Rush, something totally different from the exploration/grindy gameplay I also enjoy, the first map was pretty good, already expecting more fun slaughter-y-ish-whatever from the rest of the maps. Bye.

4 hours ago, Salt-Man Z said:

If you liked DTWID, be sure to give DTWID: Lost Levels a try. There's so much great stuff that didn't make the final project. 

Oh yeaaaah that was a thing too! Downloading it ASAP! Thank you~

EDIT: I didn't expect 53 levels!

I was playing Sunder but I gave up at the final battle of The zealous machine. They were literally coming out of the fu**ing walls and the only source of ammo was behind hundred of enemies. Now I'm playing again Hellbound. I need something easier and atmospheric after that chaos

replaying bloody steel. godlike set, especially map 04 with its convincing outdoor sprawl and snipe-y gameplay which totally suits me.

one thing with sets like these is that you're guaranteed not to get any boring spacetech corridors

Just finished playing strife, enjoyed it a fair bit. Great level design even if it did get a bit confusing. Not sure I liked most of the weapons thou.