Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

What are you playing now?

Started playing 2002ADO again and it is pretty fun. I just finished the second episode today and it had a reasonable difficulty, with some nice architecture and pretty cool encounters.

By the way, damn you, Room with 4 teleporters that lead to 4 switches,  that spawns enemies when you step on a teleporter (it was in E2M6 and MY GOD, was it annoying exiting a teleporter and accidentally entering another one, while the demons were damaging you from your sides and back, because you couldn't know where they are, once you stepped on the teleporter).

And the boss fight was nice and relaxing (16 monsters), but they gave too many supplies in that level (only the plasma and the health was enough, or just the plasma). Still, I loved it!

Might check out the rest of the episodes later.

Back when I started, I was really hoping they'd learn their lesson and avoid making maps that drag on, but so far it looks like the same mistake was committed and was taken even further.

It's been a long time since I tried playing MM2 and while it didn't hold my attention as much, I remember enjoying MM1 a lot.

About maps that drag on though, I too prefer average to shorter maps, most of the time.

Edited by ShotgunDemolition

Just finished Crossing Acheron (Acheron.wad) on UV difficulty. This is a seriously challenging map and it's taken about half a dozen attempts to nail it. I've noticed also that there's an Acheron2.wad with Doom 2 monsters added, which could be interesting. 

For some reason there even seems to be another Acheron.wad which can only be played with Doom 2, but is apparently identical to the original version, then there's Acheron6.wad......I need to have a lie down.

Playing through Pizza Steve which is kinda bizarre megawad in terms of difficulty but I find the gameplay to be satisfying since it's forcing you to manage your resources to an extreme length. It's a little bit grindy but I sort of like it.

So, I wanted to play Pleiades and there were 2 versions in idgames. One single level and an 11 level episode.

I downloaded the episode, I finished it and I have to say that I loved it.

Things I liked:

Spoiler

1) The spaceship was awesome, with many rooms and much detail put into it, especially outside, where you could see the engines working and glowing (from the window). And the spaceship's armory that had renewed ammo for each mission, made it feel like you were really going on a mission each time.

2) Most of the effects were put to good use (it even had glass elevators!).

3) The atmosphere was superb!

4) The secrets, even though they were easy to find most of the time, had some really cool areas (caves that end up looking outside, underwater goodies and more)

5) The first levels, where you start exploring the spaceship convey a particular feeling that I can't describe precisely. Maybe it was awe for the space stuff, combined with fear for the unknown.

6) The Mir level was good.

7) The demon infested spaceship level was ok (nice fire effects in the engine room).

8) The city level rocked (it had a Pharmacy for health, a Weapon shop for ammo supplies and other shops)

9) The nuclear reactor level was well researched, before it was made. I mean, it had the main reactor, a coolant room, a control room, a radioactive zone where you could enter only with a radiation suit to not be damaged, e.t.c.

10) The Galaxia final level was epic and I could see a lot of imagination going into it. Domes with huge gardens, machinery everywhere, technological gizmos, captured space marines in hibernation, e.t.c. And all of that was floating in space...

Finally, as of now I am not hating the Pain Elemental as much, because I saw that guy quite a few times in the WAD and by the time I was half way through it, I got used to the PEs.

Things I disliked:

Spoiler

1) At some points, the WAD felt like it had too little ammo and that led to some hard times (had to resurrect once or twice, which I never do, yet I wanted to finish the WAD, so I did it). If only some of those areas were made easier, the WAD would be a total masterpiece.

2) Some places were really dark and while that boosted the atmosphere, if you had to face demons in the darkness, it would become harder than it was supposed (the good thing here is that I would be caught off guard pretty often, if I was going in a dark corridor and suddenly a Revenant/Spectre/Mancubus would pop up from nowhere)

was messing around with sci2.wad, a level set i had downloaded years and years ago on an older laptop:

a cool atmospheric set with lots of sector sculpture and weird location-based progression

it's from way earlier than a lot of the map sets I love

has a lovingly dark average light level for extra credibility with me

the graphics and sound replacements are way worse than default... also for extra credibility with me

the difficulty swings from trivial to miserable from map to map, pistol starting some of the middle maps would be an ordeal

20 maps plus some deathmatch iterations in all

slowly gathering a stable of level sets like these which the average doomer isn't interested in but which i find totally indispensible

alt, sacrament and aliens tc are a bit of a holy trinity

Yes, I'm a big fan of Scientist 2 as well. Only let down by some poor weapon replacement choices - I'm referring to the grenade launcher and the crossbow here.

Edited by Summer Deep

I'm about to ragequit 2002: A Doom Odyssey. "Oh, it's an Ultimate Doom WAD from the early 2000s? I can play that on UV." Mostly it's been fun, but now I'm on E4M3 and suddenly it's like, "@#$% you, here's 200 barons, cacos, and pinkies, and no ammo or health! Have fun!"

I'm currently playing through 10 Sectors with The Trooper weapon mod and the Kriegsland enemy mod. I plan on playing through 10 Sectors 2 and a stripped down levels-only Freedoom (circa 2015 version) with the same mods the Doom Incarnate weapon mod and the Kriegsland enemy mod.

Edited by Nems : Change of plans lol

Trying to juggle 3 was right now.  I'm testing the maps for Struggle that Antares has finished, ESP from Time of Death, and Slaughtermax RC1.  It feels good that I'm getting a bit of variety with gameplay, good midis, and some dehacked/modded play with Antares wad.

5 hours ago, Salt-Man Z said:

I'm about to ragequit 2002: A Doom Odyssey. "Oh, it's an Ultimate Doom WAD from the early 2000s? I can play that on UV." Mostly it's been fun, but now I'm on E4M3 and suddenly it's like, "@#$% you, here's 200 barons, cacos, and pinkies, and no ammo or health! Have fun!"

Reminds me of Memento Mori MAP27. All these rockets and not much else, and fuck off traps and waves of enemies...

On 1/17/2018 at 0:38 PM, ETTiNGRiNDER said:

Memento Mori.  I remember now why I never finished it before, always got stuck on that damn MAP04.  Ended up looking up a walkthrough this time.  I guess the idea of a map that plays differently in co-op than in single is kind of cool but I can't help but feel like there had to be a better way to implement it than mandatory secret hunting for a back route if you're alone.

That's interesting. I've just finished MAP 04 of that wad and what a horrible experience it was! I have to confess though that I'm not familiar with the workings of co-op play, and if anyone could explain how it impacts upon this map or makes it a different experience in single play, then I'd be most grateful.

For me the real problem in this level was how to zap the baron in the room behind the yellow door, and thus get to the switch which gives access to the exit. I only had the ordinary shotgun and the chaingun, and simply couldn't fire off enough rounds before the monster closed me down in the very confined space and ripped me to shreds. It was only after searching through the map for ages that I eventually discovered a blursphere in a secret area, using which it was possible to disorientate the baron sufficiently to hold him at bay long enough to dispatch him, though it was still a perilously close call. Playing this section afterwards with the idkfa cheat, it became clear that using the SSG in this situation, even without a blursphere, enabled the player to deal with this enemy without too much drama. The SSG though was out of reach on a raised platform, and getting it must have required finding another secret.

Altogether not a very satisfactory situation, as the original post states.

Started playing Scythe today and am currently on Walk in the Park. Dayum this thing is awesome so far, no wad made punching so damn satisfying, destroying Archviles with ease on Sneak Peak.

It's good :v .

Moonblood was a blast, consistent and entertaining, and that last boss, glad to see another female monster in Doom. 

I've downloaded a couple of wads a few hours ago, of which decided to play Eternal Doom with crispy and Kuchitsu later. Despite the diversity of thoughts that rules in the reviews section, I feel like some old-school eternal complexity might be suitable for a change of pace. Besides, I like some of the visuals, the status bar and many custom sounds, it's nice to finally see where all these sounds in modern wads (like Ancient Aliens) came from. Uhh, yeah.

Currently about to replay Scythe 2 with minimal saving (I just re-beat the first Scythe, and only saved mid-map in Map30).

On 21/2/2018 at 6:14 AM, Salt-Man Z said:

Hehe.... ehh, I mean, sorry. I think. Nah, fuck it! I was a dick back then and I'm proud of it!

Started a playthrough of Heroes' Tales with Trailblazer, DoomRLA Monsters, LegenDoom Lite, and Doom Ambiance Pack.

Started playing Doom the Way id Did today, finished 6 maps or so. Pretty good so far, save for some texture alignments. But damn if going back to Doom from Doom 2 doesn't suck... the bestiary is sorely missed... the SSG, I can live without.

Just completed level 29 of Moonblood from a pistol start on UV. This was the map which defeated me when trying to play through the wad in continuous format a few months ago, and I didn't think at that time that I'd ever be able to deal with those three Cyberdemons at once in that cramped, obstacle strewn arena. Still never managed to do the famous 'two shot' kill on any of these bastards though.....

Edited by Summer Deep

I finished playing through entire Winter's Fury in one day, it's such an amazing wad.

On 27/02/2018 at 7:59 PM, Summer Deep said:

Just completed level 29 of Moonblood from a pistol start on UV. This was the map which defeated me when trying to play through the wad in continuous format a few months ago, and I didn't think at that time that I'd ever be able to deal with those three Cyberdemons at once in that cramped, obstacle strewn arena. Still never managed to do the famous 'two shot' kill on any of these bastards though.....

These days I saw a video of that map and I discovered that the battle can be skipped by strafing into a cliff that allows you to come back to the building through a window lol One day I'll also learn to do that two shots trick :P

Currently playing Doom 2 The Way id Did.

Pretty good, but already ran into a few levels I didn't really enjoy. I'll see how it turns out.

Working on the Xbox version of Master Levels (bundled with Xbox version of Resurrection of Evil). I HATE the Black Tower map, oh my god.

Currently playing through Doom 2 with Colorful Hell and Doom Incarnate.

I'm kind of tempted to give Eternal Slumber Party another try after this (even if I'm shit at slaughterWADs).

Was bored this morning when I realized I've never tried to pistol-start Doom on UV before. So I blew through KDitD doing just that. Go figure, KDitD is still super fun, all these years later.

I'm playing through the Memento Mori trilogy (MM1&2 + Requiem) and having some slaughtery fun with Going Down+Trailblazer on the side.