Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

What are you playing now?

I've started playing Valiant, finished the first episode. Good stuff, aside from some nitpicks here and there. Curiously, the feel I get now from it is quite different from when I played the first levels when it got released. I guess I'm in a different vibe now, the levels feels a lot shorter and it isn't as hard as before. Regardless, I'm having lots of fun. The levels are really detailed (especially the first one) but at the same time they're really clean.

Having just finished DMP2017, I'm about to start playing through the recently released Adventures of Square episode 2.

I've just finished this wad. It doesn't seem to feature on the Idgames database, and I've never seen it mentioned anywhere, but it's worth taking a look at, if only for the visuals, such as spectacular underwater effects, transparent textures, bubbling lava, and so on.

Gameplay wise, it's a bit hit-and-miss. As a collection of single maps, it's best done with pistol starts, as weapon carryovers make it a bit too easy, even on UV.

Started playing Ancient Aliens yesterday and oh my fucking god not a trial by fire -__- .

I did not expect this.

So, I've taken some freedom with the episode choices in Valiant and I decided to fast foward to episode 3 lol

Thematically it is a bit similar to the first episode, but this time green is the predominant color. I was expecting to deal with slaughter stuff and the difficult to go a lot higher, but instead I got the same trends from the first episode, but bigger and more developed. (while retaining same difficulty overally) Most interesting level by far was the last one, which is non-linear (more open) and features some amusing setpieces.

IDK if I should play now episode 2 or 4 now lol

18 hours ago, Deadwing said:

So, I've taken some freedom with the episode choices in Valiant and I decided to fast foward to episode 3 lol

Thematically it is a bit similar to the first episode, but this time green is the predominant color. I was expecting to deal with slaughter stuff and the difficult to go a lot higher, but instead I got the same trends from the first episode, but bigger and more developed. (while retaining same difficulty overally) Most interesting level by far was the last one, which is non-linear (more open) and features some amusing setpieces.

IDK if I should play now episode 2 or 4 now lol

E2's got some of the best content in the wad, same with E4. uhhh.. matter of fact almost the whole thing is great, check it out

I'm going to play a TC called Nerves of Steel by Impie, using ZDoom and hoping it works all fine. It's a remake of an old FPS game that seems to be crap, that's what I read. Anyway, first map was interesting, bunch of hitscan and melee enemies, plus one bastard of a plasma gunner. Let's see the rest.

20 hours ago, bioshockfan90 said:

E2's got some of the best content in the wad, same with E4. uhhh.. matter of fact almost the whole thing is great, check it out

I think I'll go for 4, since 3 wasn't too hard

I'm currently trying to force myself to play through Ancient Aliens and Hellground, both with complex/lca/djb/ark. Its a magnificently aggravating experience but it's usually fun. 

2 hours ago, Akenore said:

I'm currently trying to force myself to play through Ancient Aliens and Hellground, both with complex/lca/djb/ark. Its a magnificently aggravating experience but it's usually fun. 

AA is so much more intense and challenging that it made AV a walk in the park in comparison from my own experience lol. It wasn't very fun for me thus far for this very reason, but I can't say I regret this self-inflicted torment, and after all I'm on MAP27 at the time of posting this so I'm actually going to triumph I guess. Anyway, MAP23 was the only map I could fully enjoy :v . And at the other end of the spectrum, I absolutely loathed MAP18.

It also isn't nearly as predictable as AV was which made my life suck even more than it already does.

3 minutes ago, Agent6 said:

AA is so much more intense and challenging that it made AV be a walk in the park from my own experience lol. It wasn't very fun for me thus far for this very reason, but I can't say I regret this self-inflicted torment, and after all I'm on MAP27 at the time of posting this so I'm actually going to triumph I guess. Anyway, MAP23 was the only map I could fully enjoy :v . And at the other end of the spectrum, I absolutely loathed MAP18.

It also isn't as predictable as AV was which made my life suck even more than it already does.

I really like the art and style of AA. Does AV have the same style?

11 minutes ago, Akenore said:

I really like the art and style of AA. Does AV have the same style?

No, it's very far from that. AV is more slaughter oriented stuff without exactly being true or pure slaughter, whereas AA is more like Plutonia with plenty of orders of magnitude above it.

I made that comparison merely because AV is regarded as a very difficult megawad and hold in high regard as one of the best as well, but it pales in comparison to AA in terms of difficulty. They're very different from one another in terms of gameplay and atmosphere. I don't remember seeing any custom textures, sprites, and so on either.

I'm playing trough the wads listed here.
Currently stuck at Alien Vendetta, on MAP13 (Suicidal Tendencies, what a name). This WAD is ridiculously hard, but I'm not planning to drop it.

2 minutes ago, croma said:

I'm playing trough the wads listed here.
Currently stuck at Alien Vendetta, on MAP13 (Suicidal Tendencies, what a name). This WAD is ridiculously hard, but I'm not planning to drop it.

Trust me it really isn't compared to other wads out there, I'm talking from my own experience.

If you find it ruthless don't try anything else that's similar to it or even more difficult. As a matter of fact my game glitched on that map so I committed suicide and pistol started from that point.

1 minute ago, Agent6 said:

Trust me it really isn't compared to other wads out there, I'm talking from my own experience.

If you find it ruthless don't try anything else that's similar to it or even more difficult. As a matter of fact my game glitched on that map so I committed suicide and pistol started from that point.

I'm a Newbie Doomer (as you can see from my profile, I've posted 9 times) and not a "skilled" player so maybe I'm overgeneralizing. I've only finished DTWID, D2TWID, 2001ADO and some random wad picked on the /idgames archive.

Just now, croma said:

I'm a Newbie Doomer (as you can see from my profile, I've posted 9 times) and not a "skilled" player so maybe I'm overgeneralizing. I've only finished DTWID, D2TWID, 2001ADO and some random wad picked on the /idgames archive.

Well being a new member doesn't necessarily mean you're also new to Doom so I completely ignored that :v . I'm not a skilled player either, in fact I describe myself as just a "slightly above average player" .

Yeah, those wads are indeed nothing in terms of difficulty compared to stuff like Alien Vendetta, Ancient Aliens, Hell Revealed, Scythe, and so on. You should've probably tried a few more megawads before jumping to AV, such as Icarus, Requiem, Memento Mori (the first and the second), and so on, but hey it's great if you triumph.

Just now, Agent6 said:

Well being a new member doesn't necessarily mean you're also new to Doom so I completely ignored that :v . I'm not a skilled player either, in fact I describe myself as just a "slightly above average player" .

Yeah, those wads are indeed nothing in terms of difficulty compared to stuff like Alien Vendetta, Ancient Aliens, Hell Revealed, Scythe, and so on. You should've probably tried a few more megawads before jumping to AV, such as Icarus, Requiem, Memento Mori (the first and the second), and so on, but hey it's great if you triumph.

Oh my, good luck to me.

Started playing Hell Revealed today, it feels like going back in time after AA lol.

Attempting to play Sunder on coop. Having to noclip through almost every section in every map, because the wad is not coop-compatible at all.

I'm never going to build a map that's not coop-compatible ever again ;_;

Currently playing through Good Morning Phobos with my usual gameplay mods of choice (Trailblazer 1.4c, Colorful Hell, LegenDoom Lite).

I'm considering giving ESP a go after this despite the fact I suck at slaughtermaps (and despite the fact that if I use the above gameplay mods with ESP my GZDoom is probably gonna slow to a crawl like Houston traffic :V).

I've started yesterday episode IV of Valiant and, woah, talk about a difficult spike lol The style has changed a lot too, which is a good thing, but semi-slaugtherish style isn't really my cup of team, tbh...

The first level was all about running around, pressing switches and avoiding the 4 cyberdemons, until shit got released on the central area, but at that point I've already found the exit and I ran for it. The second one has a strong start where you can't kill everything in the beginning too, until you have enough resources and a good portion of the monsters gets killed by in-fighting. The last setpiece is by far the hardest one so far, with the damaging floor + suicide bombers everywhere spawning out. A bit too much trial and error for me. (doesn't help that I suck badly in Doom too lol)

Next on the list is Hell Ground by Eternal, using glboom+ and not software mode for once in my life. I really dig his atmospheric layouts where combat isn't precisely the most exciting but manages to keep you on your toes. I hope I don't end up hating the last map like DyingCamel sort of did :P

1 hour ago, Deadwing said:

I've started yesterday episode IV of Valiant and, woah, talk about a difficult spike lol The style has changed a lot too, which is a good thing, but semi-slaugtherish style isn't really my cup of team, tbh...

I played the first 3 episodes on HMP, and I've been contemplating dropping to HNTR for the last two eps (after having poked around the first E4 map for a minute or so) and this probably seals the deal. :)

Yeah, let's see how this behaves on the next maps, but if the difficulty keeps the same level or rises, I'll probably have to drop the difficult :P

Okay, that encounter wasn't that hard, all I had to do was to hold position and shoot stuff until I had no ammo lol

I've also finished episode IV. Good stuff, although zdoom didn't like two maps due to performance issues lol The difficult is indeed higher, but it is still managable on UV for me. With the exception of few setpieces, I haven't been dying a lot (and if I do, in the second try I usually survive). Ofc, I'm saving a lot though haha

Gotta do episode 2 now

Trying to beat Hexen for the first time (tried years ago but got stuck quickly and gave up). I think I made a huge mistake picking the mage class, the combat is pretty unsatisfying. The level design / puzzles aren't as confusing as I remember though, haven't gotten stuck for too long this time.

I would say the combat is about on par regardless of class choice, but you may find it a bit more visceral if you use the fighter.