• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

What are you playing now?

2 hours ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

Currently playing Stardate 20X7.

Having a good time with it, arguably.

I felt like I wasn't able to really hit a stride on it until maps 7 and onward.  I appreciate what Ribbiks does with smaller spaces, limited resources, and unforgiving monster placement.  That said, I enjoy the larger spaces and crowds that require specific movements to manage.  Maps 8 and 9 were the highlights of the wad for me.

I got confused at MAP02, because the switches are asking for a yellow key when I have a yellow skull, so I put it down for the time being.

I'll pick up 20X6 soon, and Sunlust again.

20X6 is good fun, definitely play it.  I just finished playing through it recently on HMP after playing UV, both very different experiences and definitely worth your time, imo.

1 hour ago, loveless said:

I felt like I wasn't able to really hit a stride on it until maps 7 and onward.  I appreciate what Ribbiks does with smaller spaces, limited resources, and unforgiving monster placement.  That said, I enjoy the larger spaces and crowds that require specific movements to manage.  Maps 8 and 9 were the highlights of the wad for me.

Me neither, Stardate 20x6 was love at first sight (to say so), but I could not enjoy Stardate 20x7 until MAP05 or so when the things started getting more slaughter oriented.

The first one was so, so much better and enjoyable for me.

4 hours ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

Currently playing Stardate 20X7.

Having a good time with it, arguably.

Is that so? How much did you rage while playing the first levels xdd.

@Agent6 I think it's the sort of thing that speaks to taste.  I can imagine someone who immensely enjoys the early maps of 20X7 getting excited by the first half of Swift Death.  Small areas, lower monster counts, and seriously unforgiving setups.

8 minutes ago, loveless said:

@Agent6 I think it's the sort of thing that speaks to taste.  I can imagine someone who immensely enjoys the early maps of 20X7 getting excited by the first half of Swift Death.  Small areas, lower monster counts, and seriously unforgiving setups.

I don't know, I honestly don't think many people are fans of unforgiving enemy placement, but maybe that's just me. Some setups looked very interesting, but making it out alive made your nerves melt. I'll never forget that room with Hell Knights being alerted when you walk past them, a Cyberdemon (+ more enemies coming after activating the switch), and 3 Arch-Viles at the exit.

The later levels were so much more fun to me (and I didn't constantly get lost in the levels either).

12 minutes ago, Agent6 said:

I'll never forget that room with Hell Knights being alerted when you walk past them, a Cyberdemon (+ more enemies coming after activating the switch), and 3 Arch-Viles at the exit.

I know exactly which area you're talking about and that was my favorite part of the map.  The area itself seemed simple enough once things opened up; a basic U-shape movement, but the pain elementals and and cyber positioning spiced things up.  Did the described movement pattern still work? Yeah, hell yeah it did, but you needed to delay and often work out one side of the room over the other depending on how long the PE's lived and where the cyber moved to.

3 minutes ago, loveless said:

I know exactly which area you're talking about and that was my favorite part of the map.  The area itself seemed simple enough once things opened up; a basic U-shape movement, but the pain elementals and and cyber positioning spiced things up.  Did the described movement pattern still work? Yeah, hell yeah it did, but you needed to delay and often work out one side of the room over the other depending on how long the PE's lived and where the cyber moved to.

Precisely.

Not to forget about the Viles, which restrict the player from hiding in certain corners. One thing for sure, you can't be stationary in that room. You stop moving, you die. Or, until the only enemies left are the Viles anyway.

53 minutes ago, Agent6 said:

Not to forget about the Viles, which restrict the player from hiding in certain corners.

That's kind of the thing, those viles are area denial.  They're meant to submit you into corners for short periods of time.  If you're not crossing the room quickly and eating at the edges then tough shit; those corners are your grave unless you make moves and are forceful.

On 7/2/2018 at 6:22 PM, Myst.Haruko said:

I'm playing Hell to Pay. Those custom models didn't age well, but main layouts looks good, midi ost still sounds sweet for me. 

i actually removed a lot of the custom models; improved the wad for me!

map24 though is garbage

6 hours ago, Agent6 said:

Is that so? How much did you rage while playing the first levels xdd.

I'm only playing on HNTR at the moment, since Ribbiks said that HMP is like UV on the others, but the only point that made me angry was the knight/caco/cyber/vile room, and that was because I'd bounce off one of the knights due to Boom's incredibly irritating movement. I actually had a lot of fun in those tight spaces. Forcing infighting is what's carried me so far, but its difficult to do in small areas and using my rocket launcher is really difficult for the same reason. I like the challenge.

I'm going to pick it back up today and see if I can find the yellow card in the second map so I can actually continue.

My next wad is Jungle Spirits mainly because those screenshots caught my attention a while ago. I liked the status bar too hehe, the gameplay seems to be very very low key with a few new monsters and sound effects. Anyway, three more wads and perhaps I'll get into mapping for once and for all.

Enjoying Pirate Doom right now; it's just stupidly fun and charming.   Good level design too. 

Cereal Killer.  I feel like the gameplay sits in a nice place of not too easy and not too demanding.  Nice and casual but engaging enough I can't space out and live.

Still busy with Unholy Realms, at least it's almost over, it sure is getting tiring near the end.

Some serious live save scumming was involved too :v .

Currently trying to beat this claustrophobia-centric wad called Relyctum by BeeWeen, on my usual settings and glboom+. Seems like resources barely make a presence, I played this a year ago up to a certain map where ammo stopped existing, thus I quit playing it. Now I'm back to it, the maps look gorgeous.

Yesterday I beat System Vices which is a partial conversion, multiple new enemies but with the same behavior of what they replace. Its biggest draw was progression and the final map, the rest was nice for a wad that old (1996). Also played part of Eden by rdwpa, beautiful everything, my only, umm, gripe was the lost soul usage, they restrict movement and freewheeling rocket usage, that's fine, except their abundance irritated the hell out of me, in many ways, like half of my ammo went to those things. I'll start the map again and see if I can revert my actions, so not to wake up both PEs and viles at the same time, and also to leave the cave post-GK before it gets too congested, because the map is definitely worth playing. 

Finally my list of Doom stuff to play is, once again, a blank space thanks to my perseverance to finnish what's been pushed for later. Advancing slowly through Hexen, currently at, somewhere in Seven Portals, and my mission is, something to do in Seven Portals, not sure what or where is the solution to whatever puzzle the last message said...

Anyway, as for Doom I got back to pick a random wad from my extensive list of "Wads to download". I chose Newdoom Community Project to play with crispy, a not well-known megawad by the Newdoom community [insert Nicholas Cage meme], and with no custom music apparently, which means I'll add it myself (:

14 minutes ago, galileo31dos01 said:

Advancing slowly through Hexen, currently at, somewhere in Seven Portals, and my mission is, something to do in Seven Portals, not sure what or where is the solution to whatever puzzle the last message said...

Damn that level to oblivion, I've started my first playthrough of Hexen a few days ago and I literally wasted 2 hours in that level because of that Guardian of Steel crap, I missed 2 switches there somehow. I had watched @42PercentHealth's walkthrough on that area and couldn't figure out what I was missing until he said that "we've been to the Guardian of Steel before, but without the key" when I had a strange deja vu. Somehow, I missed a switch that was accessible without the key the first time around, and another one inside the area that becomes accessible after getting it. Finally, the last stairs outside the starting area had risen.

Shame, I was planning on streaming Hexen as well, but since my progression risks becoming this slow it's a big no-no :( . Yet, frankly I don't blame the game, as I've said multiple times before my sense of direction is awful, which makes exploration an incredibly difficult and slow task for me.

3 minutes ago, Agent6 said:

Guardian of Steel

It's hard to detail my progress, since everything is more or less the same "press switch, read message, find something, press switch, repeat". In that map the side areas are open (icy room and crushers room), the centre too, where you get a torch on a platform I think. After that, I don't know what else to do, the last stairs in the hub are still not raised. Guess I should swallow my pride and watch a walkthrough. 

27 minutes ago, galileo31dos01 said:

Seven Portals

13 minutes ago, Agent6 said:

Guardian of Steel

In the Guardian of Steel area, the switches accessible in the NW/SW and NE/SE rooms move a large poly object wall in the west and east, respectively. There are four switches behind those walls, and you need to hit each one. One side is blocked off until you come back with the steel key. Returning to the Guardian of Steel after solving the over-puzzle in Seven Portals will reveal those walls shifted farther so you can get into the little secret cage rooms where the serpents were.

That one was confusing at first, I understand. Wait until you get to the castle (fourth hub), where you have to get the axe key and find the sewers and all of that. I ran around there for an hour before consulting the Doom Wiki, and even then it took at least a half hour to work out.

22 minutes ago, galileo31dos01 said:

It's hard to detail my progress, since everything is more or less the same "press switch, read message, find something, press switch, repeat". In that map the side areas are open (icy room and crushers room), the centre too, where you get a torch on a platform I think. After that, I don't know what else to do, the last stairs in the hub are still not raised. Guess I should swallow my pride and watch a walkthrough. 

You have to revisit a lot of places that were not accessible earlier. Painful as it might be, unless you don't remember where you've been and where not, you'll have to recheck each area again. It's the only way I could find what switches I missed.

I know that icy area with the torch in the middle, but don't remember what happens next either...

19 minutes ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

That one was confusing at first, I understand. Wait until you get to the castle (fourth hub), where you have to get the axe key and find the sewers and all of that. I ran around there for an hour before consulting the Doom Wiki, and even then it took at least a half hour to work out.

This hub system is probably one of the things which sounded good on paper, but lacked or didn't work in practice at all. It would've been much better if you didn't have to constantly revisit almost all areas you've already been to once, or they shouldn't be so confusing, some switches are so well hidden you could spend centuries running in circles and still not find them.

The way I deal with Hexen's BS now is simply watching what 42 did in my current areas/levels and follow him, I could read articles for all eternity but until I see what I need to do I won't make it.

My last save is at the start of Hypostyle btw.

Hexen is so great, but it's a shame that the first hub (Seven Portals) is maybe the trickiest to puzzle out, and can be a bit of a stumbling block for new players. Don't pass on the Deathkings expansion, either; lots of really cool stuff there as well.

1 hour ago, galileo31dos01 said:

I chose Newdoom Community Project to play with crispy, a not well-known megawad by the Newdoom community [insert Nicholas Cage meme], and with no custom music apparently, which means I'll add it myself (:

NDCP1 remains one of my favorite megawads. There's a couple of pretty dire levels in it (which happens with community projects) but the great handily outweighs the bad. (I was surprised to find it won a cacoward once upon a time, considering how overlooked it is nowadays.)

9 hours ago, Salt-Man Z said:

NDCP1 remains one of my favorite megawads. There's a couple of pretty dire levels in it (which happens with community projects) but the great handily outweighs the bad. (I was surprised to find it won a cacoward once upon a time, considering how overlooked it is nowadays.)

What source port did you use to play this? It looks like some 3d faux bridges block doomguy with infinite height in Crispy Doom or complevel 2, particularly in map 19, but not in prboom+ complevel 9. 

5 hours ago, galileo31dos01 said:

What source port did you use to play this? It looks like some 3d faux bridges block doomguy with infinite height in Crispy Doom or complevel 2, particularly in map 19, but not in prboom+ complevel 9. 

Could you give a more precise hint where this happens or probably even a savegame?

Still on Stardate 20X7. On MAP09 now.

MAP08 was fun, at first, but I'm not so into the whole "hordes every room," despite the fact that these "hordes" were actually quite tame by slaughter standards.

Like the first five maps best, MAP06 bugged, unfortunately, so I had to cheat to finish it.

Put it down on seeing the monster count of MAP09 running at 1,500 (on HNTR).

Also going to record some demos for the Team Rocket megawad.

51 minutes ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

MAP06 bugged

Oh?

What do you mean? It was fine when I made my run through 20x7.

The switch on the purple stairs that's supposed to teleport you to the little tunnel outside the map which brings you back to the stars for the rev/knight/baron/whatever fight is marked as S1 Teleport (also monsters).

It had already been triggered, probably by a caco or a soul or something.