Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

What are you playing now?

OH NO NOT a triple post

Playing through an edited version of Memorial with the QuakeStyle ZX mod, then I'm gonna play through the same version of Memorial with the QuakeStyle Unbound mod.

Almost done with UAC Ultra episode. I love it so far. Gritty atmosphere and visuals and gameplay is good without punishing player for mistakes. Good stuff. 

So after the quirky Mars War megawad, I downloaded at least 12 different wads to play in the course of this month and next two. They are Legacy of Heroes, Shai'tan's Luck, Hell Revealed 2, Italo Doom, Mano Laikas, Estranged, Absolutely Killed, The Darkening, Based, Return to Daro, The Journey, and MAYhem 2012. Will choose whatever today, probably the first one from the list.

2 hours ago, galileo31dos01 said:

So after the quirky Mars War megawad, I downloaded at least 12 different wads to play in the course of this month and next two. They are Legacy of Heroes, Shai'tan's Luck, Hell Revealed 2, Italo Doom, Mano Laikas, Estranged, Absolutely Killed, The Darkening, Based, Return to Daro, The Journey, and MAYhem 2012. Will choose whatever today, probably the first one from the list.

Mano Laikas (along with Eviltech) moved Nicolas Monti from being a beloved WAD author to becoming my absolute favorite. 

Estranged is very impressive for a one-man megawad, and mostly fun. The later levels get a bit hard, but they're quite memorable.

Return To Daro makes fantastic use of the STRAIN assests. My only complaint is that I wish there more maps.

10 hours ago, galileo31dos01 said:

Hell Revealed 2

-warp to any level after the first half or so...

Playing Team Rocket with MetaDoom Dakka.

Edited by Nems : Having issues with Team Rocket and MetaDoom, thinking it's a ZDoom thing, trying Dakka instead.

1 hour ago, galileo31dos01 said:

It's everything or nothing (;

Then everything it will be, to experience it in its fullest.

Playing through Abyssal Speedmapping Sessions 36, 37, and 38 using Dakka.

Holy shit Dakka's a lot of fun.

I'm currently playing through a merging of Persephone Volume 2 and Volume 1 to make sure I didn't break anything in the process. Just got into Claws of the Enraged Beast (in a bit under two hours) and saw that the title wraps onto a second line in GZDoom, which is something I'm sure it didn't do earlier. I mean, it is long, so I'm not surprised, as such, but it is something I want to either make look better, or fix.

Other things I noticed:

• The Quake rock texture and the four patches for the sky in Centurion Night were in the WAD twice. Fixed this.
  • Each volume defines different WFALL textures, with Volume 1 using the darker ones in NBRECOLOR and Volume 2 using the "normal" one from Plutonia. I've preserved the N_WFALL ones for Vigilance and made the "normal" ones standard for other parts of the WAD.
  • Most of the patches for GOTHMIX that were used in Abandon All Hope were duplicated, for some reason. That's been fixed.
  • The alt-hud provides an "interface spoiler" that a new ammo type has been added, which people might recognise from Virus. Not a lot I can do about that, I think... Plus it's not in a secret level. More of a bonus for Volume 2, really, accessible in the normal running of things.
  • Twisted Joke being incompatible with weapon mods was actually fixed for Volume 1, as it uses a redefined Rocket Launcher firing festive rockets. You just won't see whatever the rocket launcher and plasma rifle replacements are from your mod in that level.

EDIT: OK, the LOADACS scripts were setting the HUDSIZE to 320x240, which was evidently too small. I've changed to 480x360 instead, so that it's not a huge difference in text size, and that's solved it in GZDoom. I guess I'll finish my test and then double check by just starting each map in ZDoom 2.8.1, as that's the "target" port.

Edited by Phobus : Fixed it in GZDoom

3 hours ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

About to begin Urania blind.

The only thing I know about it is it gets nonlinear fast and it uses Plutonia.

Just a tiny heads up, the author recommends continuous for a first time. Not sure how's your approach, pistol starts are doable, but gameplay won't be any fast paced, at least the majority of it.

25 minutes ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

Yeah, I dropped it in map 2 because it wanted me to go slow. I wasn't having any fun. I'll find something else to play.

Dropped on MAP02? You sure it wasn't worth it after playing only 2 levels?

14 minutes ago, Agent6 said:

Dropped on MAP02? You sure it wasn't worth it after playing only 2 levels?

Urania sets the tone from the beginning and never holds it back. That is to say long, harsh and frustrating at times, mostly guiding you to be extremely careful with your steps, something that could be appealing for adventure lovers (like me). You either like it for what it is, or disregard it entirely. Though once you know where everything is, with some patience you can speed it up, depending on the map for sure.

19 minutes ago, galileo31dos01 said:

Urania sets the tone from the beginning and never holds it back. That is to say long, harsh and frustrating at times, mostly guiding you to be extremely careful with your steps, something that could be appealing for adventure lovers (like me). You either like it for what it is, or disregard it entirely. Though once you know where everything is, with some patience you can speed it up, depending on the map for sure.

Oh wow, sounds like an overly cautious experience to me, therefore not fun, so I suppose Aquila did the right thing by dropping Urania after the first 2 maps.

It seems most megawads made today do tell you from the very first levels what they're about, such as, you guessed it, AA, with its Cyberdemon turret in MAP01. That level also featured enemies like Revenants as well if I remember correctly, so it sends a very clear message that "This is going to be a long, difficult road. If you're not up to the challenge then stop right here."

If I'm not having fun, barring any other reasons (like a promise to see it through), I'll drop the wad immediately. This goes for anything I do.

Now I'm going to start Doom 404 by Capellan. I expect this to be excellent.

Legacy of Heroes is done, super atmospheric and lots of fun figuring out things, also seeing it never went full Eternal Doom with progression is a big plus, or perhaps I was too spoiled by DyingCamel's stream lol. My only gripe was all the invisible barriers somewhat hurting the atmosphere, and I probably would have been disturbed by armor only secrets had I pistol started each map. But all cute.

Guess I'll pick The Journey to play with crispy, expecting to have a good time with short-ish maps.

Recently blew through Fava Beans over a few hours, chewed through TVR! over a week or so, and started blasting away at Struggle. I'm also playtesting and adjusting the overhaul of my recent map, now that it's once again in a completable state.

Struggle is great.

..Oh yeah, also did REKKR episode 1, which somehow cured my aversion to PrBoom+'s mouse handling, so I've been using that port a good bit lately.  My builds of Chocolate Doom and Eternity had some issues with it, so it was PrBoom+ or nothing, since my gzdoom build somehow evaporated and I haven't felt like dealing with that yet. I really wasn't feeling REKKR at first, but it becomes a bit addictive after you get used to the brutal enemy damage output and such.  There's some really nice map crafting in there (aside from a really obnoxious switch puzzle somewhere in E1 that I no-clipped. A six-switch lift puzzle with 3 of the switches separated by a non-trivial distance and oft-inaccessible? How about no.)

Edited by Reiken

ASHES 2063 TC. Excellent (so far, on map04) post apocalyptic wad. Also checked out Doom64 Retribution for a minute: claims to be a near faithful recreation of D64. Impressed so far, I'll have to return to it later.

Currently playing through Strange Aeons and the Innocence X series. Both have been very good so far.

Gonna play through ESP and ESP2.

Well, maybe less play and more like use the "kill monsters" command and observe the levels considering that's what I ended up doing starting with map 10 of Slaughterfest 3. As much as I like slaughtermaps, I suck at them. :V

ABRAXIS.WAD. Doesn't seem to be in the Idgames/Doomworld archive, got it from the 1001 Nights compilation. Very old-style map, tricky in parts rather than difficult. Has a very frustrating teleporting maze puzzle (unless you use the map), and a maddening, bizarrely designed switch room (saving recommended). 

It's clearly a Doom 1 game (designed for E1 M1), but my version would only run in Doom 2 (MAP 01).