Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

What are you playing now?

I am at map18 of Sunlust.  The difficulty is cranking up a bit now.  Gonna be giving Struggle a play through once I finish this.

Played Mall of Alexandria yesterday and I gotta admit I had way more fun that I thought I would have.

An excellent use of the already great Verse Hopper resources, the map was split to 2 parts and the 2nd part caught me off guard with the difficulty, but all in all it was a wonderful 1-hour adventure.

Lunar Catastrophe is up next.

After that... All of the NaNoWADMo stuff - Including NanoPineapple, NoisyDiarrhea, etc.

19 hours ago, Van Daemon said:

4 Seasons of DooM!!! 

God damn good Wad. If you like sum slaughterfest this is your thing ;) also... Beautiful.

And I love me some Slaughterfest XD

Right now I am playing Good Morning Phobos. Seems balanced and fun so far.

Sector 666 was so short that I beat it in a couple hours (with breaks in between). An interesting trip to the author's earliest release, the evolution is evident, it probably won't feel Skillsaw-ish at all if you tried his most famous projects before, aka Valiant or Ancient Aliens, but that's the thing, and this old wad is just for a moderate, casual experience, like some of the maps from Memento Mori, which is where the music comes from. 

Currently experiencing Epic 2 by sir Eternal, with crispy doom and pistol starts because I'm starting to prefer this mode over my personal usual one. Good thing is that I knew what I was getting into: tight in resources, careful ammo management, several cramped fights, the occasional dick trap. Classic style from the author, and I'm enjoying it so far. The music selection is a nice company too.

I've spent the past couple of days playing through Bloody Rust and Bloody Rust 2 in anticipation of building and contributing a level to the third episode in the series.  Good stuff!  I particularly like the use of the Cyberdemon replacement in BR2; it's not so tough, but it's smaller and more agile and so can stalk you through the gloomy, claustrophobic interiors of the various maps in a way that's very reminiscent of the Terminator, rather than the original walking-tank Cybie.

A few days ago I completed Epic 2 on UV plus pistol starts. Awesome experience, for me personally, because this mapset isn't for everyone. Design favors exploration, observation and generally not rushing into rooms before checking corners, Eternal seems to love to attack you from the back. There's a lot of grinding, bits of slaughtering, valuable secrets to get a foothold from the start, texturing that isn't just "attractive". Nothing to complain, to be honest, well except a couple repeated monster usages, like the "ghost cyberdemon" in map 31 that was an annoyance. I think what I liked the most is how well you can administrate your ammo to never run out, with some punching and pistol usage here and there (yea not that great but I didn't mind). 

I also played DyingCamel's Demons #1 on UV and finnished it a couple hours ago. Actually, and technically, not 100% finnished because I skipped the very last map, not going to bother with that one... The set is uneven, but overall enjoyable and funny, weird at times too. The BFG-only map has one of my favourite setups ever, involving a large group of archviles in the centre, timed cover which you can keep track consistently, while in a crossfire between mancubi and imps. I guess the reason why I loved it is because it's sort of a puzzle, not particularly tricky to solve but once I figured it out that felt quite satisfying. 

Next is going to be 20 Days in Hell by Kristian Aro, a very old megawad that requires Final Doom, plutonia.wad I suppose. This has a severe low rating due to being glitchy and "noobish", so it will be something very new for me (never tried wads with 1-2 stars before). Hopefully I won't hate it. Continuous this time, just in case.

Edited by galileo31dos01

Yesterday I was playing Trump Doom, it's a fun mod heavily inspired on duke nukem 3D, even if is just a huge alt-right propaganda, but whatever. Still fun.

Also messing around with Eternity engine...

Just recently finnished 20 Days in Hell, and oh boy that was, something. I can't define it as crap, because it was the author's first steps into mapping, and some really decent ideas were built in there, but also the amount of clueless death traps is hilarious, not to mention the innumerable ways to softlock yourself unintentionally. What saves them from being immediate doghouse material is their short length, so getting stuck for whatever reason and having to restart wasn't a huge deal. Also, I had fun, there's something inoffensive and cute in early 90's stuff, specially from a beginner (at that time, of course, Aro vastly improved over the years), and anyone could sense the same, as long as they pick continuous over pistol starts, that is, not exclusive for the first case but the majority of the maps don't count with the kind of "pistol start balance" of nowadays standards. Or else, warp to map 31 and see it by yourself. 

So now since I'm still in the mood for obscure and/or little-known megawads, I picked The World of Deth: From Heaven to Hell to keep using crispy. There's nothing I know about this wad except that Lingyan played through it and I could spot some HR1-isms in the first map, so hopefully it'll be interesting. 

Yesterday I finnished The World of Deth, a one-man vanilla megawad from 2000. What can I say?. First of all, I can see why nobody talks about it, there's little to nothing in regards to standouts, the design scheme doesn't go further than just brown-green/metal-wood-marble monotextured rooms, though not that ugly thanks to some light and height variation. The combat is straightforward, camp-friendly and often slaughtery, if SSG-ing hordes of imps can be considered "slaughtery", and from pistol starts you get a chance to use heavier weaponry where you should, so this mode is recommended. However, the downside of pistol starting is that armor is a rarity, unlike hitscanners which not only appear frequently but also sometimes in unconventional spots. It's not cool to take a lift and be surprised by two chaingunners on the sides and another two in front of you, even less to be teleported in a circle of them. Besides, the author wasn't keen on guiding the player to where they should go or what to do next: some obscure switch hunts, doors requiring keys look like normal doors (no hints), faced switches are doors too, 90% of the secrets demand wall-humping, teleport pads that can lead you to death with no warning, what's a lift and what isn't... Anyway, even with these ideas I had some fun, like I said for 20 Days, visiting old stuff can be interesting, and the last map was a bit unusual for an IoS setup. Do I recommend this? Depends on how much you like to visit the same design scheme over and over. Fair warning: no custom music, no skies, no automap names, add them on your own if you want to try the wad. Also, might be wise to use freelook for map 32.

Now it's time for Plutonium Winds using glboom+. Yup.

Unwelcome was fantastic, plays way better than the screenshots imply. I loved the gimmicks all the maps had and I really wish the mappack was longer :P

Ovum was... not for me, unfortunately. Way too hard and in-your-facey encounters are not my thing. That, and timed radsuit battles.

ASS42 was fun, as ASS sessions tend to be, not much else to say about it really. 

Doomworld Mega Project 2018 is up next on my list.

So I forgot to say that "The World of Deth" is not a HR1-styled wad. That you are going to grind a few barons and other shit, or that the levels follow a similar colours scheme, it's true. Nonetheless, HR1 has a little more variety in design. 

Anyway, also finnished Plutonium Winds yesterday. Very good set of maps, challenging and strong in replay value, not that fine in terms of visuals. I only had to step down the skill setting for the last map, because that was way too many archviles and commandos to contend with minimum health/armor around. I later thought of a possible strategy, to leave the blue armor for the biggest monster wave, but I'll try it out another time. Recommended set. Beware of the archviles, mainly. 

Now I'll play the DWMC winners, "theoretically", starting by Dawn of The Dead, plus other stuff in between. Not sure if there's going to be a new thread, umm :s

I just finished off the first episode of Lunar Catastrophe. Wow, very KDitD, maybe just a bit more sprawling (and enemy-packed.) Great stuff, looking forward to the next episode.

Also trying to finish out Doom 404, but man some of these later levels are very rage-inducing.

well i am playing armageddon invasion 2 i don.t know why there was no first one but so far it is awesome i am on map06 of the wad an if you don.t know what the mod is but it is a skulltag invasion project that is so good i wood give it a 10/10 i highly recommend you to play it :D

Finished Struggle today and now I'm playing Newgothic Movement (thanks mr Meanor).

This is pretty nuts and fun so far xd. But I sure died in some less-than-ideal ways a few times. Doctor says I'll live, I think.

Right now I am playing chaos from hell invasion so far it has that Armageddon invasion 2 style of puting giant enemys this time it is a giant Rock imp trust me plus some of the levels are kinda bad like map02 is so far the worst map of them all because there Is small corners an to many monsters in such a little room that is very hard to play with out a buddy on your side but so far the maps are pretty good I like the music on map01 but if you want to try it out for your self here it is 

https://www.wad-archive.com/wad/Chaos-From-Hell-Invasion-5

Gonna start playing something that's pretty old but seems interesting: CRINGE! by Mark Klem and Eric Sargent from 1994. Some people might know Mark Klem for his music compositions that he made for Memento Mori 1 & 2. Gonna try it out in GLBoom+ since i get major screen tearing in PrBoom+ sadly.

I'll be playing on UV as well as using the custom sounds patch & graphics patches for the WAD. It should be quite an interesting play-through. I just hope it doesn't have any mandatory secrets as i really hate those hehe.

UPDATE: I'm about halfway through CRINGE! after restarting the whole thing once (i tend to have a hard time sitting down & "legitimately" playing Doom sometimes). So far a few levels have given me some trouble since they have mandatory secrets (hidden keys, ect.) and i had to no-clip just to figure out where the hell to go. There is also a custom mini-boss in a few levels as well which seems to use the same chaingun as the Spider Mastermind (hitscan) but it's not too hard to beat with rockets or the BFG. On another note the music is really good so that's a relief.

I've also encountered a few traps such as crushers & teleporter mazes that are kind of annoying. I suppose this is typical of early Doom mapping so i suppose i can't complain too much. After this i'm going to try a "somewhat" newer PWAD, probably something that is well regarded and hopefully something a tad more interesting.

Edited by CyberDreams : update

A bit of an update because yes (?):

Currently going through Doom 2 Reloaded, a vanilla one-man megawad that aims to follow a continuity through the story like the original games. It lacks custom music so I added various tracks on my own along with a music pack by Lingyan203. Already on map 06.

During the last couple weeks I played the rest of the DWMC selections for this month, Earth (bad experience, annoying concepts not of my taste) and The Classic Episode (very enjoyable, almost on par with DOTD). Then Water Spirit, a trio of gorgeous maps with an ultramarine-brown predominant scheme, demanding on their own way: irregular geometry slaughtery, not that intense in general, save for the end-of-level squadrons of archviles and the grotesque spam of pinkies-imps in the second map). Next was MAYhem 2013, basically a collection of maps featuring only 2 monster types in each map, highly recommended for atypical design, concepts and devilish in many cases, specially the maps by Dobu, ArmouredBlood, Ribbiks and Magnusblitz, although Melon's map takes the prize for the funniest ending. Finally, I went for a Heretic wad called Elf Gets Pissed, and it was awesome, also very demanding, I never used that many timed bombs before. This and "Realm of Parthoris" are proofs of high quality mapsets showing that Heretic can be tricky, fun and good-looking. 

Finished Deus Vult 2 today and going to start Ultimate Doom the Way id Did tomorrow.

I must admit, this was a very productive week for Doom related stuff.

Finished UDTWID and going to start Newgothic Movement 2 soon.

I have very mixed feelings about UDTWID... especially after playing the previous installments. I expected more fun and interesting challenges, but I spent most of my time dying in all sorts of ways to hitscanners, enemies teleporting or monster closets opening behind me, and so and so on. Glad I died where I did in my Ironman run, it didn't prove to be an enjoyable experience...

But I'm also running out of ideas about what to play next. Any suggestion is much appreciated.