Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

What are you playing now?

Playing through Sunlust at the moment. I saw it mentioned in the git gud thread and I've played the first few maps a bunch of times but never sat down to playthrough the full wad. The secrets are fantastic, I love the little switch system.

3 hours ago, Catpho said:

Hey, I'm in the middle of playing that too! Have any favorites?

Yeah, mainly from an atmosphere/music side I'd say 03, 19, and 26 are long affairs that flowed pretty good imo. TVR maps are like his classics, be on the lookout for secrets. Dutch Devil's are built around a similar idea, tight in supplies. From pure combat perspective I liked 32, 18 and 14, the latter though it might be easy to break at some point (I couldn't lower a platform in the way to the BK, after the church). Visually all of the maps are competent, rarely such things like "square-door-square-door-etc" (well, except for 29), underdetailed I mean. 27 has a room with various pentagrams on the floor, worth to check in nomo. 

Ok, was not expecting to tackle Base Ganymede in only two sittings. That being said, I loved it, exactly how I want my Doom 1 maps to be like. The third episode was the sexiest, fast-paced frenetic CG through everything. I wasn't a fan of the instapops and teleportations right inside you, one of the maps in the second episode was annoying due to them. Could have used more rockets and berserks though. But anyways, mostly fun. 

I don't know what to play next. Sunder, maybe. Bye.

5 hours ago, galileo31dos01 said:

I don't know what to play next. Sunder, maybe. Bye.

Best of luck on MAP05 mate.

Finished Hell to Pay. Not as fun as Perdition's Gate that I "reviewed" earlier in this page, but map 32 to 20 were very memorable. I enjoyed the maps set on Io in general.

Not dwelling too much on it, but I'm happy to have played through both Wraith Corp wads. They were up there as far as 1996 wads go, in my opinion.

Spoiler

doom10.png

So yeah, Sunder is done wee!! Quite an experience, not something I'd suggest everyone to play either because most people out there have already played it and for those who didn't well, requires some patience. Without a doubt these are beautifully designed, amazing scaling and detailing, and of course 10/10 texturing. The gameplay was a hit and miss in general, "Phyton" and "The Burrow" were decent appetizers while "The Dreaming Garden" had only one fight that used too many goats but still fun overall. "Metal Descendants" had this fight with HKs and chaingunners which put me off and couldn't enjoy the rest of the gimmicks properly, sometimes it happens, and I like crushers. "Precarious" was alright, did quite decently on the platforming, but damn those pain elementals. "Grinder" was too stressful and inconsistent throughout, after 50 tries I got tired of the start and the rest didn't even slightly compared. "Hollow Icon" was kind of hilarious, the final fight making me exercise my mind was the cherry of the cake. Then the segment of least enjoyable maps starting by "Pale Monument", a fun-at-times slog with questionable monster usage here and there, "The Caged" which played horrendously (to be fair, IG told me he tested with freelook, which given the combat elements, it made sense), and "The Hags Finger" where I found myself only hating the final area, just because I got unbearable RNG with homing missiles and the archviles (flameless targeting, to call it someway), and the most pointless trio of cybers when everything was dead, and had no cells. Then back to the fun in "The Furnace", an ever-lasting grind but always entertaining somehow, specially the final section with the right strats. "The Zealous Machine" well, eemps, lots and lots of eemps, once again the couple final areas being fun and grindy as hell. "Obsidian Nightmare" felt like a change of pace, set piece fights with low monster count (in comparison to what to the previous maps offered) and all of them pretty fun, well minus one cloud of pain elementals that almost drained all my ammo. Finally, "Hive Mother" nearly destroying my laptop, a pity I experienced massive framedrops in some areas because the map was quite an exercise from start to end. Anyways, with all this wall of text being said, I value the experience, even though the reward is less of "skill improvement" and more of "patience level increased by 5% ", but yeah it's alright, I'm sure the upcoming maps will be something else, that watching a couple streams of map 16, I'm excited I guess :p. Moving on to the next one...

... 1000 Lines Community Project, already on map 15, all fun maps so far. 

Finished yesterday Riot Control by Dutch Devil with Quake Ultra Stuff mod and 100 minutes of /vr by various people with High Noon Drifter mod.

Riot Control is a really good short mapset, 100 minutes of /vr have some fun speedmaps.

I'm replaying AV again. I first time beat Misri Halek legal way, without cheating. I remember this map more bigger and more confusing than actually is, but nevertheless is still kind of grindy to reach most important locations, honestly this one should be secret map rather than main set map. Map after Misri Halek was the welcoming change and very linear. So, I'm very close to finish this set. Somewhat I get why people say say, that this megawad inspired them, it has cool vistas and fights around. 

I played some levels from AV on pistol start too. Contrary to many people , Brad Spencers's levels (12,13,14,16 especially) are my favourite and not Misri Halek.

order most recently played. Use trusty zdoom these days confined to craptop. Quakespasm runs better than gzdoom strange I thought.

• Valiant map08
  • Quake e1m5
  • Atone map04
  • Phobosdemi e1m4
  • Base Ganymede e1m5
  • Heretic e2m7
  • Deathless e2m3
  • Wayfarer e1m2
  • Darkcvnt map03
  • Wolfenstein shadows of destiny map 09
  • Adonis map02
  • Ak_e1 map03
  • DBP11v1 (lilli?) map02
  • Lunar e2m4

Figure need to finally play more heretic before I jump into these three(?) new wads for it come out recently, plus all the older stuff. Better with jabbas mod, tho that other desert one by the TC imp guy was cool too. Will check later levels vanilla to see what the complaints are about.

That wolf wad is great, by jazzmickle? Looking forward to the next one. Need more. Project Eihenhart whatever get back to.

Stuck on Lunar. Played through first ep of valiant few times never continued. DBP11 such cool aesthetic! Ak starts off with a bang, wasn't expecting that much. So many udoom wads huh I forget the ssg is even a thing :0 always crazier going back to doom2 w all the beasties.

thank you.

13 maps in Icarus. My previous playthrough was 12 years ago or something in continuous with save scumming, so this is a very different experience in saveless pistol start. And I'm surprised at the quality of the maps so far.

I'm not a big fan of Evilution to be honest (even after redoing it recently, though I like a few maps), so I wasn't too excited about firing up this one. But I guess it was worth taking the risk.

Mayhem 1500, having a good time with it so far.  I'm on map 26 right now and trying to think of what I want to play next.  Might go into Flotsam as it's been a very long time since I've played any of the maps.  Might give Eviternity a peek, too.  The textures from OTEX I've seen in Sunder now are amazing, it'd be nice to see them in another setting.

Finished Unwelcome on HMP today. What a trip! Slight bug in MAP07 where somehow I managed to trip--but not activate--a mandatory W1 teleporter. And the last encounter of the finale (which was otherwise pretty massive and appropriately monster-dense) was pretty anticlimactic, but I won't complain. Great stuff.

Played through both Dark 7 and Dark 7 Mission Pack (UV) over the past few days, and had a blast. The gameplay's nothing spectacular, but the Quake aesthetic is gorgeous, and the snow levels in the first game are really cool. The boss maps were pretty anticlimactic, but you'll never hear me complain about stuff being too easy. The Mission Pack's modified weapons were a lot of fun, if overpowered: replacing the pistol with a (weaker?) chaingun was nice, and having the shotgun be a single-shell SSG was pretty keen. The new plasma rifle was definitely OP, but boy did I lean heavily on it the last couple of maps.

Going between SF3 and Eviternity right now.  The ending maps of Mayhem1500 were great with a comical map 30 to finish it off.

I have been going on a binge of doing retro mapping and new user maps on the forum. Currently though I am making my way through Memento Mori. It's honestly enjoyable, I just don't understand what is with the year 1996 and the idea that Super Shotties need to be hidden. Like fighting six cacos with a single shotty is just monotonous and kind of boring feeling to what would be amazing map design.  

Been through Slaughter Until Death and now The Evil Unleashed. The second one is very impressive for a 1994 release but boy is finding secrets hard on these wads. I use IDCLIP once in a while too, because of oversights on the mappers' end.

It's interesting how arch midtextures were already a thing in 1994 too. These guys were quick on realizing the potential here. I do recognize textures and structures akin to Memento Mori too.

I'm very slowly working my way through the big early 2000 megawad releases I missed, and just finished Scythe.

Overall I thought it was a solid mapset, although I'm intrigued as to why it has the reputation it does. Perhaps it's hard to tell what was novel about it in retrospect because so much has been influenced by it? I appreciated the compact levels and clever use of windows to focus the action into a condensed space, but otherwise found most of the mapset fine if somewhat forgettable. 

Until the last maps anyway, wowee that took a turn for the challenging! Map30 I think took me over an hour to beat, it's such a radical cranking of the difficulty. It certainly made the last maps more memorable though.

I'll play through Scythe 2 next, which I understand is the even more influential one, so I'll be very intrigued to see what it's like.

I've been playing TNT Revilution these last few days and it's incredible. Easily beats Plutonia 2 for me personally, which I finally played and beat last year. Had a few gripes with some of the middle levels so far but nothing too major. Looking forward to the last third.

Special shout out to the composers on this one, the OST is hands down one of the best I've heard for a megawad. Has a nice unique coherent personality to it, a lot of tracks remind me of Unreal/Deus Ex, even Metroid (NES) at times, or awesome metal like always. Amazing atmosphere throughout.

It's funny if you asked me what the theme was to the original TNT, I don't know if I'd have an answer. Lots of tech bases with red textures and some charcoal blacks? With a few weird DN3D-esque level details like goofy chairs/computers, etc, well I guess my hunch is right since Revilution has been full of that stuff too. This is arguably even better than the original TNT though. TNT is super uneven but I've always had a blast with it and admired its bizarre experimentation. But I'd say even if you hate the original TNT, definitely still give Revilution a shot.

Doom The Way Id Did 1. It's a surprisingly good replacement wad. The Episode 1 felt a little bit too mazelike and I had to use walkthroughs to beat E1M8 but the later Episodes that really started to drop the ball in terms of level design are finally overthrown with these community made maps that blow the devs out of the water. Never had this good time playing Episodes 2&3. Especially after playing SIGIL.

I've finally gotten around to playing Ancient Aliens on Ultra-Violence. So far, this has lived up to my expectations and is in serious contention with Back to Saturn X for being the best Megawad I've ever played. I'm in a very happy place right now.

Replaying TNT yet again (UV Complex), since I beat Revilution for the first time last week. Is it weird I love M8 Metal? With the bizarre final room filled with switches and elevators in some big circular tower area. I'll just say so far M6-M9 from where I'm at again are some of my favorite maps up to this point, but the ones before this are great too. TNT is weird, sometimes sloppy and experimental and I love that about it. I still like it more than Plutonia personally.

Just finished New Gothic Movement 1, SIGIL, and Base Ganymede, in that order.

New Gothic was a lot of fun! Easier than I would have guessed (MAP01 is bizarrely quite a bit harder than the next 8 maps...). It has its high points (MAP01, MAP14, MAP21), and its low points (MAP03, MAP07). A little disappointed that the gothic theme isn't actually used that much, but not a big deal.

SIGIL was alright. I didn't find it anywhere near as hard as most people did for some reason, I found it fairly easy on UV. Good continuation of Ultimate Doom. Fun, but by no means a masterpiece.

Base Ganymede was awesome! Short and action-packed, nothing to complain about there. The second episode was a bit weaker than the other two IMO, and the WAD kind of runs out of encounter ideas halfway through. It would be repetitive if it wasn't so short, so it's not a huge complaint. Still, this feels like a WAD that could have really benefited from some of the Doom II monsters, but does a good job with what it has.

Oh, yeah, this thread, hehe.

Played Avactor and loved the setting, sprites and the massive exploration-based task in each map. Not so keen on the gameplay in sections where you'd be repeating the same fight idea for 15 minutes though. Also the crusher usage in this wad was both ingenious and borderline annoying :P

Then Interception, some hits and some misses, I would say the best content was in the last episode imo as I really enjoyed the frantic run-and-gun lengthy maps, but unfortunately a bunch of maps presented either bugs, few softlocks and whatnot (e.g. the spiders in franckFRAG's map never woke up, the red-blue door in another map was broken, "Alfa Tower" I think was called). Also an unique way to hide the secret exit in map 31. Looking forward to play the sequel sometime soon.

Also tested maps here and there, and now going through Vile Flesh on map 25. Possibly not the best one to restart each map with only a pistol, but nothing too gross so far to consider it "unbalanced". If it was designed with continuous in mind it would make a lot of sense. 

Lastly, about replaying stuff, TNT Evilution again for the music, random Sunlust maps to demo, and whatever else I think about.