Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

What are you playing now?

1 hour ago, Andromeda said:

As someone who has completed Eternal Doom numerous times in the past, I feel that if one manages to complete the first two levels without outside help, then the rest of the WAD shouldn't pose too many problems, the exceptions are MAP20 and MAP30, only for the most patient and observant players. Good luck on the rest of your journey!

I finished ED a while ago :p .

And yup, you're definitely right about that, from the very first map ED makes it clear what it is all about, if you jump into it with the right mindset it's gonna be quite enjoyable.

MAP20 and 30 are the only problematic parts. 20 has that hidden switch in a teleporter that can be super easy to miss since, well, it's hidden, and MAP30 is cryptic progression on steroids, with lots of progress made through pressing switches behind fake walls. I watched a walkthrough of MAP30 and did it step-by-step, and it paid off for sure. Combat definitely suffered on MAP30 though, it's clear it was not the point of the level and it sacrificed this aspect, out of what... 170 enemies or so, 100 seem to be Revenants... it desperately needed more variety.

And having finished it, sorry not sorry, I've played maps that were much worse than almost everything I've seen in ED.

Chuxen (Chuck Grant) - A 6 level hub with pleasant level design and pretty intuitive puzzles for '96. I've got stuck only once so that's a plus for Chuck.

Small warning, the small keyless door that leads to a portal in the level "Base Metal" won't open, I'm pretty sure he forgot to give it that action.

lUEWLvM.png

Map01: Yard of Eternal Torment

Playing through Valiant: Vaccinated Edition. The beginning of the wad was awesome, but I'm on map 27 now and it feels like a grind. It plays like the difficulty was artificially ramped up with inescapeable traps and gimmicks. Skillsaw, I love your maps, buddy, but the end of this mapset is feeling like a chore. Though it might be because I'm playing the Vaccinated Edition, Ancient Aliens was straight up awesome in comparison. Ancient Aliens is among my top megawads. I might play through it again after I finish Valiant and Jiffy Bag.

Just played through Alien Vendetta. Favourite levels, in order:

1. MAP31: Killer Colours

2. MAP21: One Flew Over The Caco's Nest

3. MAP06: Hillside Siege

1 hour ago, Andromeda said:

MAP21: One Flew Over The Caco's Nest

Best map name ever

The Inquisitor III

Man is it tough on UV. Exp. gains are pretty small at this difficulty. Currently in the Catacombs. Anyone here played through it before?

Screenshot_Doom_20190930_184720.png.d58bce7dabd1f692d10974ab3db58228.png

Finished Sinergy the other night. Another fantastic megawad from CrunchyNut.

Last night I finished up my replay of Chris Hansen's Monument. Still an amazing set of levels. Love those sprawling corrupted bases.

Finished Sigil yesterday, played with doom+ on dosbox for a better vanilla experience.

Really good episode, I didn't really enjoyed

Spoiler

that rocky cavern tunnel section in E4M7

Currently revisiting Memento Mori on UV-PS with a smile on my face. Of the "classic" nominated trio, that is MM1, sequel and Requiem, this is the one I remember less of its particularities at least excluding the obvious most memorable map 28 and vague details of other maps. It has been nice so far, even I could defend Kinetics (map12) now regardless of the rough parts. Onto the secret map.

Previous to that was Requiem, though I did remember most of it in depth. The pistol starts were smooth, somewhat engaging when you are short in supplies but a melee tool is provided too (map 24 was alright on paper, polemic concept which I may take in the future), and also managed to get soft-locked in three maps. Highlight was an RJump I did because I thought that part was a coop secret only, though finding the teleport later was a big facepalm. Punching vanilla arachnotrons in map 22 was another moment, those who know the map will get it, wonder if that engine kind-of-bug can be replicated and used in favor... I also felt a strong will to compile the textures and make maps, as long as that's legal, I don't recall much stuff I played which contained them (Jenesis perhaps, but that's it).

Is Memento Mori and its sequel worth playing to someone who never played it back in the day and would be playing it solo rather than co-op? 

43 minutes ago, Horus said:

Is Memento Mori and its sequel worth playing to someone who never played it back in the day and would be playing it solo rather than co-op? 

For historical curiosity, sure, MM is one of the earliest full doom 2 megawads made public, if not THE first ever afaik. Doesn't hurt to know you'll be leaving several maps without a max score, due to areas accessible only in multiplayer (routes to stick your nose into some of them exist, see the doom wiki), items in the deathmatch parts, or unreachable sectors erroneously flagged secret. If that doesn't bother you then the worst situation is to find yourself soft-locked or lost. MM2 is superior and better adapted to single player. Requiem shows off engine trickery and only one map can be a nightmare if you don't know a route. All of them have gorgeous music. I'm talking biased as these three were among my first steps into custom stuff, you might not love them as much so keep in mind they're like the great grandparents of megawads.

2 hours ago, Horus said:

Sure, I did 'em both for the first time a few years ago. They're definitely good for their time, and not terrible by contemporary standards. Some memorable stuff, for sure. If I recall, the only thing you can't beat solo is one of the secret maps in MM2. Otherwise, there's a couple of places where you have to quickly dash between a couple of switches, is all.

21 minutes ago, Salt-Man Z said:

If I recall, the only thing you can't beat solo is one of the secret maps in MM2.

Every map is beatable. You might be confusing it with MM1 map 31 where the coop half is accessed through a window in one try, and yet not forced to if only to take the secret exit.

Heh, my views on MM are more negative, MM2 aged a bit better, but MM1 has a few maps, and everything else aged very poorly, both in terms of visuals and combat. I think it was even considered to be dated a few years after it came out.

As for the topic, jumping on Batman Doom today, should be interesting.

Agreed. MM1 has not aged well at all. I actually consider it weaker than even the likes of Evilution and Icarus.

I was playing Saragasso before getting distracted with work/life crap, then started playing UACUltra for the first time and died horribly on map03.  Going back to Saragasso before tackling UACUltra properly.

Finished up Heroes' Tales (HMP/continuous) last night, that I started last year with the DWMC, but set aside after MAP23. The rest of the WAD wasn't as frustrating as I feared, and the two large maps (27-28) were both pretty fun and memorable. Even the IoS map was pretty easy once I figured out the trick.

Just started Nic Monti's Mass Extinction (UV/continuous) and played through the first two maps. What an absolute blast.

Edited by Salt-Man Z

I started 5 rooms megawad. To be honest, it's the mixed bag, there are good maps and some newbish maps, but map size restriction is interesting and gives so much creativity. If only it was tested properly before pushing to permament location. Few errors with flats, missing textures and plenty misalignments. 

Finnished up Memento Mori two days ago and immediately started Perdition's Gate right after. That was a sweet trip, granny megawads just have a charm that is, to put it simply, redefined nowadays, thankfully for the better, so going through it again after so much swinging between eras showed me that MM is half outdated and half mature, never gets too old to take something funny of it (some of those cheap gotcha!s you don't see nowadays can only be passable in old maps if you're lenient enough). None of the maps hurt even in the slightest bit on pistol start, though I'd say Requiem has more variety in what your options are from the get-go. What did hurt to the eyes was staring at misaligned textures, but that so happens now that I map too :p

Moving onto Perdition's Gate, I had my doubts on the third map since the gameplay was not so much what I recalled. Sure, a thing was HMP continuous, and another is UV pistol starts, but I reckon I expected no significant differences and yet I'm seeing high numbers of shotgunners, while low health count to resist. Mind you, sergeants are worse for me than commandos, on a psychological aspect. It changed from map 07 or so, good, only now armor is exclusive to secrets, and of the top tier kind. Every map gives the impression they can be optimized to a quick frenzy, some are possible and great for that, but then a few are degraded to a slog, such as map 15, because armor doesn't exist when it should do. MM simply never gave vibes of fast-paced and I counted with that. But fine, they all go by quickly regardless, so it only means I have to adjust myself to it which is no problem, since most maps are neat anyways. Currently on map 16.

Just played through Memento Mori II. Favourite levels, in order:

1. MAP20: The Experiment
  2. MAP19: The Shaft

3. MAP05: Rites of Passage

On 9/30/2019 at 6:49 PM, Andromeda said:

Just played through Alien Vendetta. Favourite levels, in order:

1. MAP31: Killer Colours

2. MAP21: One Flew Over The Caco's Nest

3. MAP06: Hillside Siege

I too now finished my playthrough of Alien Vendetta. I took a look at what the DWMC had to say about it as I played along. A fun wad but also one that showed its age. My favourites would be (also in order)

1. Map 04: Seclusion

2. Map 21: One Flew Over The Caco's Nest

3. Map 20: Misri Halek

Makes six megawads that I've played this year. Eviternity clearly the best, Requiem clearly the worst. The others (Bloodspeed, Doom Zero, HR, AV) all similarly good.

11 hours ago, Horus said:

Makes six megawads that I've played this year. Eviternity clearly the best, Requiem clearly the worst. The others (Bloodspeed, Doom Zero, HR, AV) all similarly good.

Interesting, I'm currently playing through Requiem, finished earlier today MAP12. So far I quite like it, no real stinkers, hoping the rest of the levels are not too bad :)

2 hours ago, Andromeda said:

Interesting, I'm currently playing through Requiem, finished earlier today MAP12. So far I quite like it, no real stinkers, hoping the rest of the levels are not too bad :)

It goes downhill from map 19 onwards IMO. There's still some good maps, but just as many stinkers

Trying out the Rush WAD pistol starting, no saves.

I haven't played slaughter maps before really so it gets tricky quickly. I think I might have to save-scum my way through the maps first and then try to beat them no-save once I know them but it feels kind of cheap since it's been so long since I used saves for anything other than practice. xD

Finally got around to playing D4T (Death Foretold), one of like five(?) Doom 4/'16 gameplay mods on Doom II to get a quick look at all the features. Currently on MAP18 and finding it very enjoyable. Can tell it's older though, not all the sprite edits like those you see in DOOM 4 VANILLA are in this mod, but it's probably the most faithful mod for overall implementation of Doom 4/'16? I'd like to hear what others have to say and recommend.