Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

What are you playing now?

6 hours ago, Gez said:

Did you use the MIDI pack that was made for it a few months ago?

Edited by stinkfist

6 hours ago, Gez said:

Did you use the MIDI pack that was made for it a few months ago?

I just ran through two levels and the those text screens really clarify things a lot! It’s neat to read back story in doom even though not necessary. Thanks for pointing this out I’m actually going to replay the wad just to read the story and digest those tasty midis >:)

23 hours ago, galileo31dos01 said:

I can attest nothing was left broken in that map, except maybe some players' sanity (;

LOL, I survived that last Oscillation map! The encounters in the final arena were tough, and I had to save a couple of times, but the hardest section by far is the opening one - my strategy was to try to get through as soon as possible to the 'basement' room where the blue door is, clear it out (tricky!), then advance from there....

Edited by Summer Deep

Just finished Mass Extinction, and by "finished" I mean "got to the IoS and then banged my head against a wall for 15 minutes until I gave up and noclipped" which is usually how IoS maps end up going. This is an amazing megawad, but that IoS is almost the worst I've ever played; there are two pillars moving up and down in front of the weak point, but you have to wait like 5 minutes for everything to line up perfectly, and then you have to hit the switch and get on the raised platform and hope nothing gets in your way and try and make your shot or whoops! too bad you have to wait for the next cycle to come around, and of course the demon-spitter is flooding the map in the meantime. Absolutely ridiculous, but the rest of the WAD is brilliant!

Update: I posted this almost immediately after finishing the WAD, so I was pretty salty at the time. I hope Nicolas Monti (whose work I adore) doesn't take the above personally! Also, I was informed via DM that that final lift doesn't work as intended--either because I'm using GZDoom, or because something broke in the final WAD release--which makes hitting Romero's head basically impossible. So that softens my ire considerably (given that MAP30 is otherwise pretty sweet.) Or not!

Edited by Salt-Man Z

16 minutes ago, Salt-Man Z said:

but that IoS is almost the worst I've ever played; there are two pillars moving up and down in front of the weak point, but you have to wait like 5 minutes for everything to line up perfectly, and then you have to hit the switch and get on the raised platform and hope nothing gets in your way and try and make your shot or whoops! too bad you have to wait for the next cycle to come around, and of course the demon-spitter is flooding the map in the meantime.

As intriguing as you make it sound, in your opinion was it worse than that one in Plutonia 2 where you would launch a hundred dildos to each eye and most likely never tell if they're even damaging Romero's head? 

Convince me there's a worse case than the Plutonia 2 IoS.

17 hours ago, Arbys550 said:

I think I read somewhere that map09 was the first map he made for sunder, so some of the gameplay makes a little more sense with that knowledge.

16 hours ago, DuckReconMajor said:

MAP09 will always be the essential Sunder map to me, but this is coming from someone who plays on Skill 1. If Gazebo redoes the Cage, i hope it's a gameplay only change, or at the very least keeps the visual theme intact.

Finally got around to finishing Suspended in Dusk in CrispyDoom. It's incredible as you all already know.

I finally gave Beautiful Doom a try, playing through Ancient Aliens. It is indeed Beautiful.

You have both activated my trapcard - I've been waiting ages to talk about my Sunder playthrough!

Map 10

LKjLzNA.png

Big open spaces, tons of monsters. Very enjoyable - However wasn't too keen on the last fight. Little too much to chance - I had to wait till I got a favorable spawn with an early cyber demon before I was able to finally beat it.

Map 11

Mwgb4lz.png

I was told that this map was quintessential Sunder. It's probably my favorite map of the set (So far). The opening set piece was just absolutely fantastic. There is so much going on, but with the right strategy, it's very doable. Those revenants up high are the absolute worst.

Map 12

bnggDjU.png

Here the maps start getting a little tighter, but no less furious. Again, a grand exit room that took me a very long time and a lot of save-scumming to beat. Very good challenge wise though.

Map 13

oSyg4wT.png

One of the harder starts to a map - It seems I_G started having the maps get tighter and tighter, after a few of the bigger and more open maps. Lot of tricky areas - I really struggled with that four switch room where you fight progressively harder waves of monsters. The ending room was absolutely diabolical, but in a good way.

Map 14

mvvYB4k.png

Absolutely mean start, and mean through lots of different sections of the map. Took me quite a long time to sort out a number of the different areas. Again, I really struggled with the tight space with spawning monsters - The first one at least. The final fight was far more forgiving, which was nice after that really tough fight for getting the final key.

Map 15

f9LPEGA.png

This is probably the most beautiful of all the maps I've played. It is also the most resource intensive - My computer is about 3 years old now, but it was a beast and it was struggling. Lots of nasty fights, but there was usually a strategy to help work them out. The huge Colosseum like arena right before the end was probably my favorite. Just absolutely breathtaking.

Map31 I am really struggling with - I'm not so good with the tight slaughter maps. Getting hung up on literally the second fight after the opening one. I presume I'm meant to get the cyber to infight with the HK's/Cacos, and then try and smash through the revenants? I'm trying not to take advantage of my carryover weapons, but I think I may need to start using the BFG...

===

As for the worst IOS, let me introduce you to Memento Mori.

image.png.75f2465f29432568470846dbe5d9cfa2.png

On the Romero head side, you have a constantly moving crusher that goes up and down. On the other side, you have a "Lift" of sorts that constantly moves you up and down. That lift also has a metal block in front of it so you can only fire for a brief moment without it exploding in your face. Oh, and there are monsters constantly coming into your field of vision. Good luck.

Edited by Magicana

Been playing the Japanese Community Project megawad. Early impressions were favourable: it seemed like a pretty polished, no-nonsense type wad with nice compact levels. The 'nonsense' kicked in with MAP10 however - towards the end, I was locked in a room and tried in vain for almost an hour to get out. It's obviously some sort of switch puzzle, but I really have no time for this sort of rubbish. Looked up the solution, but that's really just killed my interest in this stone dead. Briefly looked at MAP11, and that seems like utterly pretentious tripe as well. It's actually put me off playing any more megawads at all for the time being - I also gave up on the previous one I tried (Doom Core, by Valkiriforce), for reasons I can no longer remember.

On 1/18/2020 at 1:03 AM, galileo31dos01 said:

was it worse than that one in Plutonia 2 where you would launch a hundred dildos to each eye and most likely never tell if they're even damaging Romero's head? Convince me there's a worse case than the Plutonia 2 IoS.

Haha, yeah that one was pretty terrible! Good point.

On 1/18/2020 at 1:09 AM, Magicana said:

As for the worst IOS, let me introduce you to Memento Mori.

Another strong contender!

My nomination for worst IoS is withdrawn, see my original post for the update.

Edited by Salt-Man Z

My Sunder journey continues!

KMfoKRL.png

I said earlier I found map31 very difficult - The problem was that I was overthinking it. Every time I tried something really complicated or funky, it didn't work. Every time I just did what was "Obvious" it worked. Lots of tight combat in this one - Of particular note for me were the 4 square rooms with multiple megaspheres, two cybers, and spawning in revenants and hell knights. I thought the number of megaspheres were overkill when I walked in. I walked out thinking boy, wish I had another megasphere in here!

The tight corridor section with ever growing numbers of monster releases was very cool too. Took me a long time to work out the one that released Arch-Viles and spectres. I need to learn to retreat greater distances!

The set piece which followed, with the cybers up top, chaingunners, pain elementals, spawning in HK's and revenants, and then the AV's from the corridors probably took me the longest. I rightly assumed that I needed to use tunnels to be able to clump up AV's and not get totally decimated. I however picked the wrong tunnel, and paid for it with a lot of frustrating time and effort. Turns out you can't use the tunnel that goes to the switch for progression. You can survive for a long time, but you don't have the ammo for it. Some IDDQD exploring revealed that the tunnel the AV's come from leads back to almost where you start in the room. I then worked out that you can just go down that tunnel and deal with the AV's one by one almost, and then deal with everything else at your leisure. Two hours I'll never get back, but you also can't take away the satisfaction at beating it.

The mapset is currently bugged, and dropped me at the IOS map instead of map32. Learned some mapinfo on the fly, and it didn't break my save, so time for Map32!

Felt like writing some words about various mapsets.

Abcess: After my disasterous Ironman attempt, I tried out the maps I didn't clear (which is all of them except the first).  These are really mean on pistol start, even dropping down to HMP.  Lots of hitscanners and low health are a deadly combination, combined with some diabolic monster placement that often has threats at multiple angles.  Lots of secrets to seek out if one survives long enough to reach them.  The only map I cleared savelsss is map 5.  Oh, my version of PrBoom+ (2.5.1.3) crashes on the title screen with this set.  Requireing -warp to even play it would dock the rating if I bothered to leave a review.

Insertion: Found a red key skip on map 9.  I really wanted that chaingun in the window (dropped by a chaingunner) and was able to leap in from some nearby steps.  From there, it's an easy hop to the key way earlier than intended.  Lack of ammo and firepower means it's not the greatest of ideas to skip most of the map by going through the red door right away wgen starting from scratch but it's a juicy skip for a continuous run.  Alas, it's also possible to break the normal progression route and be forced to resort to a skip because 1990s bug testing.

1 hour ago, Crusader No Regret said:

Oh, my version of PrBoom+ (2.5.1.3) crashes on the title screen with this set.

Can I ask why you are using PrBoom+ 2.5.1.3 (a version from 2011)? Why not use 2.5.1.4, 2.5.1.5  or the umapinfo fork. AFAIK, 2.5.1.3 does not support some features that newer mapsets require (particularly some MBF features), which is why it crashes on some modern wads like Valiant.

PrBoom+ 2.5.1.3 is that much more unstable than 2.5.1.4?  2.5.1.4 is what I have; my memory was off.

Words about Touhou Doom:

At some point, I peeked over in the ZDoom forums and found it was completed.  Last time I'd played it, boss health bars weren't implemented yet.  So of course I dive into the new chapter.

I feel the main draw of this mod is the bossfights, many times recreating attack patterns from the actual Touhou games.  Secondary thing that's going for it is being able to use Touhou shottypes.  So the last episode didn't make a favorable initial impression for me.  Much of it is shooting at Doom enemies with Doom weapons and those portions feel really basic.  The bosses are mostly buffed dammaku demon type enemies that lack the complex attack patterns of bosses in the other episodes and are mostly circlestrafe bait.  There is a payoff later on in the episode but it's quite far in.  Really like the archvile rework though.  It's attack is dodgable now and I wouldn't mind it replacing vanilla archviles in other maps.  Sam with the revenant, whose homing missiles got nerfed into not being able to turn as sharply as before.  Much easier to shake them off.  I still regard this mod positively despite my criticisms though I don't picture this appealing to people who have more particular tastes in their Doom gameplay.

Tried my hand at Bruised and died repeatedly.   This one is going to take some patience for me to complete; as it's a pretty good combat puzzle right off the bat.   Looks cool in the editor at any rate.

As I said before I played the Back to Saturn X shareware recently. I would like to complete the maps with 100% kills and secrets. And I don't like spoilers because I want to find the secrets myself. :D This is why I'm slow at this. Anyways, I have an image from the MAP06's intermission screen. :)

Doom 2 Back to Saturn X shareware.png

21 hours ago, HitelbeVettBor said:

As I said before I played the Back to Saturn X shareware recently. I would like to complete the maps with 100% kills and secrets. And I don't like spoilers because I want to find the secrets myself. :D This is why I'm slow at this. Anyways, I have an image from the MAP06's intermission screen. :)

Man, I forgot just how much I love that BTSX font.

In these days i'm playing to French Doom Community Episode 20 years of Doom, reached E1M4 and played the first half of the episode (E1M1, E1M2, E1M3 and this evening E1M9), is a really good episode, have a good mix between modern map style (E1M1), classic style (E1M2) and a mix between classic and modern (E1M3, E1M9). Levels are all pretty good, expect for some minor bore parts (E1M3 "Central Processing" maze style) and some kind of semi-linearity in all the maps, but... this is a very good episode. I just wonder why i let it rest in HDD for so long. Also, it have really great music tracks (i felt in love of E1M2 track, what a great track! Reminds me a lot of Red Hot good stuff) and a this awesome mashed-up intermission pic!

NPdv8zf.png

50 Monsters, on UV continuous, GLBoom+

Just 12 levels in, and this is already getting a bit ridiculous. Eight Cyberdemons (I think, didn't stop to count them) in the final room on MAP10, and then an Archvile or two seemingly around every corner in MAP11. Hmmm.....

Juggling Flotsam, Eviternity, and Nova 3.  Eviternity and Nova 3 have been a good time, Flotsam's taking me for a proper ride lol.

26 minutes ago, Summer Deep said:

50 Monsters, on UV continuous, GLBoom+

Just 12 levels in, and this is already getting a bit ridiculous. Eight Cyberdemons (I think, didn't stop to count them) in the final room on MAP10, and then an Archvile or two seemingly around every corner in MAP11. Hmmm.....

If I remember correctly, MAP10 has six cybies. Most of the maps aren't like that though, and the next few should serve as a decent break from that. That being said, I do drop the player into some stressful situations later on. I think my thought process at the time was just "how do I make this both challenging and interesting with the limitation I've given myself?" and well, I suppose it got a bit ridiculous at times, heh. I officially gave up on the last few maps and decided to just throw things at the player.

I do want to try the concept again at some point (if expanded a bit in terms of monster count), as I think I could do a better job of it nowadays. The real question is when I'd have time and motivation to do so.

2 hours ago, AD_79 said:

If I remember correctly, MAP10 has six cybies. Most of the maps aren't like that though, and the next few should serve as a decent break from that. That being said, I do drop the player into some stressful situations later on. I think my thought process at the time was just "how do I make this both challenging and interesting with the limitation I've given myself?" and well, I suppose it got a bit ridiculous at times, heh. I officially gave up on the last few maps and decided to just throw things at the player.

Yes, 12-14 were good clean fun, very enjoyable. Pretty rough start to MAP15, but I got through that after a few attempts and even found the secret level! One good thing about this wad is that there's plenty of health and ammo, plus I've not encountered any infuriating puzzles yet...

By the way, what really annoyed me about some of those AVs in MAP11 was that they were teleport pop-ups and I was pretty much forced to use the Rocket Launcher against them in confined spaces.

Edited by Summer Deep

8 hours ago, Scorpius said:

Just finished Memento Mori II, now onto Requiem!

Oh....boy....  

First time checking those out?