Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

What are you playing now?

Lots of plays. Sunlust still holds up on a second HMP playthrough, it's a lot better once you know where the optional bits are, plus Maelstrom/Go Fuck Yourself/God Machine might be the strongest end combo of all the megawads I played. Counterattack is an on/off ongoing thing - the maps are amazing, but also exhausting to go through, so it's one at a time for that one.

Mostly, I just went way back and returned to Erik Alm's first works, the Europa trilogy. A lot of it has not aged well, but it is always fun to see how a mapper evolve, and you can see that in Alm's first maps, going from massively open ended non-linear spaces of the first two, to something way more linear, more detailed but still a bit open with Europa 3, to what's in Scythe.

3 hours ago, dac said:

Lots of plays. Sunlust still holds up on a second HMP playthrough, it's a lot better once you know where the optional bits are, plus Maelstrom/Go Fuck Yourself/God Machine might be the strongest end combo of all the megawads I played.

Played Sunlust last month on HMP for the first time.  I'd have to say it was great!  Much more forgiving when wanting to go hard and fast, especially when the memory gets fuzzy on particular encounters. 

Wrapped up Khorus Speedy Shit last night.  The only other speedmap wad I've played was Phmlspd and that was some time ago.  I'd say Khorus is still a wild ride from beginning to end. 

Just started 3 Heures D'Agonie 2 today, having fun so far.

7 hours ago, loveless said:

Wrapped up Khorus Speedy Shit last night.

By any chance did you have any troubles with broken teleporters? I imagine that if not, you played on UV, things are missing in lower skills. 

Also you might perhaps like Base Ganymede by the same mapper though iirc you weren't very much into doom 1, it's as speedy as KSS.

2 hours ago, galileo31dos01 said:

By any chance did you have any troubles with broken teleporters? I imagine that if not, you played on UV, things are missing in lower skills.  

Also you might perhaps like Base Ganymede by the same mapper though iirc you weren't very much into doom 1, it's as speedy as KSS.

I am positive on some levels there were monsters that didn't teleport in.  As far as using teles myself,  never had one break due to a lineskip or anything else.

After finishing Rowdy Rudy II (that I intend to play again once it leaves beta), I'm trying Refracted Reality and dying a lot to it, but it's all so beautiful I don't even care :D

I'm playing through Nova 3, reached moon episode. Having fun so far... not sure what I'll play next once I'm done with it. 

I completed the zPack wad's first episode just now and this is the epilogue. :) Fighting those cybruisers was very epic, challenging and adrenaline pumping because I only relied on autosaves.

Screenshot_Doom_20200426_174320.png

I wrapped up my revisit of Back To Saturn X Episode 2, going as far as I care to. The last few levels are beyond my threshold of pain; I'm glad that I chose to grit my teeth and push through it the first time around in order to get to see the final text screen and final intermission map, but I have no desire to replay that chapter. I prefer to just declare victory after MAP17's epic-yet-tasteful boss fight.

BTSXE2-MAP17.png.eea82e0d829ba83528ac2f514e29e116.png

After having spent so much time with that texture set, I decided to move on to Interception as a palette-cleanser; I always like seeing what people can do with the stock resources. The opening Earth Base chapter has a cohesive (but powerfully brown) look to it, and it plays... decently, I guess.

Edited by head_cannon

Knee Deep in ZDoom

Played the first three levels. Graphically seems a bit crude, but it's quite challenging on UV and the modified monsters are OK. Plenty of secrets, which I'm pretty hopeless at finding for the most part. It's always interesting in this sort of wad to look for the similarities with the episode on which it's based as well.

Community Chest 4, just finished Suburbia.

Mostly an enjoyable wad, even if it does suffer from magnum opus syndrome a bit

I found an absolute gem of a megawad - Jenesis. Levels are exceptionally dynamic and rewarding - never a slog to go through. It's finally something outright pleasant to play with the mods that I use.

still dying to Refracted Reality, took a side step to play all the way through Abysm : Dawn of Innocence (I recommend to anyone who enjoys medieval styled TCs) and playing a bit of Triton II, for now (since I can't do much RR in a go) 

Just finished off Community Chest 4. Overall a pretty enjoyable mapset, the levels in general were pretty well made, a lot of effort had clearly gone into them (almost too much in some cases...), and gameplay for the most part is pretty damn good. There were some maps that dragged on longer than they needed to but there you go. Next up, I have Valiant to finish off, I'm about half way through. Also potentially whatever the DWMC decides on for May depending on what is chosen. Refracted Reality is also tempting but might wait for RC2 there.

Maps in order of preference:

Spoiler

MAP10: Inner Fear
MAP02: Slugfest
MAP29: Spiritual Holocaust
MAP28: Crucifix Held Close
MAP24: Detachment
MAP01: Renewed Faith
MAP23: Melting Universe II
MAP15: Decomposition
MAP06: Survival Instincts
MAP30: Ragnarok
MAP25: Nightmare Complex
MAP09: Ochregerde
MAP22: Hell's Limits
MAP18: Suburbia
MAP16: The Forgotten Base
MAP32: Mutare
MAP17: Metastasize
MAP08: Cold Reception
MAP13: Viral Implant
MAP05: Installation Decrepit
MAP04: Polluted Paths
MAP19: Technoprison
MAP35: Midnight Tek Frenzy
MAP26: Reaper's Digest
MAP11: The Grotto
MAP12: Nectar of the Gods
MAP14: Downriver
MAP31: Mortar Combat
MAP20: Interstellar Sickness
MAP03: Three is a Charm
MAP27: Vulcana II
MAP07: Hoedown
MAP21: Shaman's Device

Man, Interception is kind of a mess. Maps 19 & 29 are broken and uncompletable, most of the automap names are incorrect, two of the Episode 3 maps have vistas that seem to have been designed under the assumption that the E3 sky would vertically tile (it does not), and one of the midis has twenty seconds of silence at the end before it loops. Speaking of the midis, hoo boy. Thank god that the IDMUS cheat exists, so I can always tune away from the most shrill and grating songs. Listening to the excellent Birdsong by stewboy over and over isn't so bad a fate.

1558564382_InterceptionMAP27.png.e95227a6a8cb8e85d919ffbe2335a32f.png

When I revisit this mapset, it'll be for the sequence of MAP26, 27, & 28. Those levels are the cream of the crop as far as I'm concerned. I'm not that big a fan of the hell palette, but those maps make great use of it, and were made with an understanding that red stone & bricks need to be brightly lit to keep them from shifting to a dull brown.

Edited by head_cannon

Just completed Hexen on skill 4, using Mage class. Damn, that was a ride. Took me 7-8 hours.

I don't understand people who say Mage is the weakest class. Mage's first weapon managed to stay useful throughout most of the game. Second weapon was good to use without green mana, but I didn't use it a lot. Third weapon is good for killing Reivers, Slaughtaurs and Serpents, love it. I didn't use fourth weapon a lot either, but it fucking annihilated Korax and Heresiarch.

The bosses are... underwhelming. Every boss was defeated with either Bloodscourge or Arc of Death. It's sad, actually.

It was easy probably because I was playing on skill 4 and not 5. But I'll leave this masochism for later. Or never.

Had to look at the walkthrough a few times. Raven did a good job of designing a puzzly game!

Now onto Deathkings.

Just finished Knee Deep In ZDoom and really enjoyed it. Difficulty on UV is adequately challenging without ever becoming ridiculously hard, gameplay flows well without any serious progression issues, though quite a few reviewers on Idgames disagree on that last point. Some replay value as well maybe, as I only found around 30% of the secrets and could give pistol starts a try. I liked the new high-powered rifle (not sure of the correct technical term), which made short work of the Magmantis boss at the end, but not very impressed with the grenade launcher, though it's better than the one in Scientist 2.

Nearing the end of my Back to Saturn X E1 play through with the Doom 4 Vanilla mod, with just 4 Levels left in the campaign.

Really enjoying myself for my first true experience with Doom wads. Gonna have to get Scythe up and running and maybe run it in conjunction with Doom 2 The Way id Did as an on/off ongoing lets play. Or Doom 64 for Doom 2, given that I've been listening to ALOT of that games soundtrack as of late...

Went through all of Ultimate Doom, Doom II, Final Doom, along with the Master Levels and Sigil in Doom Retro. Switched to the Eternity Engine again and am now doing No Rest for the Living. Eventually want to do Perdition's Gate and Hell to Pay, since I haven't seen either of these in nearly a decade.

After man years, i finally got around to play Plutonia and so far so good. Fun and exciting gameplay although kind of frustrating in some areas, i guess it's because im playing in ultra violence.

45992971_Evilution1.png.f3729f379031edda6aa5d310462aa748.png

Evilution is the one IWAD I've never completed, so I'm giving it a try. I get the impression that it's supposed to become something of a slog at some point in its second half, but the first episode has been pretty solid. Some environments are too cramped, and there's a bit of the dreaded "oh no, time to search the whole level to find out what that switch did" to it, but the flaws aren't a deal-breaker.

Edited by head_cannon

Just finished NERVE (which I guess is really No Rest For The Living, not sure why) and I had a lot of fun. Great classic map design and encounters. Played on HMP because I thought it was gonna be longer. Still a must play in my book and I'll definitely return to it again.

Beat Perdition's Gate, it was...okay. It's got a lot of flaws though, too much same-y filler maps and it's like they ran out of time when it came to doing the last 10, except for MAP27. I'm now going to try to do Hell To Pay, for the first time (first time trying to beat the whole thing).

E: Five maps in HTP seems a lot better, I'm not a fan of the resprites but the levels have a cool atmosphere. Unfortunately I had to swap out my SVN of Eviternity 64-bit for the current stable 32-bit build because sound playback was absolutely botched, even with midiproc (music was way too loud, turning it off turned off sound). As a result I lost the cool fullscreen alt HUD that isn't in the current stable version.

@Payload4367 NRFTL plays great on UV! MAP05: Vivisection is my favorite.

Edited by Lila Feuer

Picked Doom up again after going through a bunch of 90s FPS during the quarantine/lockdown/etc. Went through Plutonia for the first time—for some reason I thought I'd beaten it before during my teens, but I realised I hadn't—on UV and loved almost every moment of it, hit just about the sweet spot for my skill level. I could have gone on to, say, PRCP or Plutonia 2 to continue the theme, but decided to swerve and finish up my playthrough of Baculus instead. Up to map 22 so far, and map 21 was probably one of my favourites of the lot (at least, based on my admittedly fuzzy memory of maps 1 - 15).

Kinda wish I was more disciplined in my WAD consumption, either following "threads" or themes better or just being more up to date. Instead, I just bounce around and playing whatever my brain decides I should play... still haven't touched any of the 2018 or 2019 Cacoward winners beyond Demonastery (and even that was a runner up), but hey, I guess that means I won't run out of stuff to play for a while.

Edited by ironicmoustache

Finished:

fgfWWZq.jpg

Playing:

MYNTJWx.jpg

Also playing Back To Saturn X Episode 2, Sunlust, and others.

Shuffling presets with different mods, both for classic Doom II gameplay and Project Brutality 3, depending what better suits a given map.

I've been playing Rob Schweiner's "Alpha1B" collection over the weekend.   They're 3 single levels from '97 - '98 and are really good examples of attrition based gameplay in an exploratory environments.   I'm really enjoying these.

What I'm playing...

Still haven't finished Evil Egypt (my save is at the start of MAP12, "Abdicate the Throne", but I have already played a bit of it),

still playing Syringe for the DWMiniwad Club (I haven't forgotten, it's just I need a full hour or so to record the demo..)

but mostly I'm playing Lost Civilization (and wondering how will I play other levels after this masterpiece?!) :D

Oh, and I also have a Refracted Reality save but it kinda plays to slow on my laptop, so.. maybe later?

Recently Finished: Eviternity

Very good megawad, with nice visuals and some truly outstanding maps and a lot of others who are simply fun. My only complaint is that in some fights I feel that monster density on UV is a bit low and could have been increased without becoming too difficult (e.g. MAP10). New monsters were mostly well implemented, I particularly liked the Astral Caco.

Favourites: perhaps MAP32 (one of the most beautiful Doom maps I've seen), MAP17 (great fun), MAP18 (interesting and intrincate), MAP13 (cute), MAP26 (outstanding visuals and very good to play pacifist) and MAP15 (best arena fight).

Now Playing: Doom 2 the Way id Did and AVJ.wad

I'm enjoying D2TWID until now, I recognize most of the original authors' style and the mappers added some interesting twists.

AVJ is simply fun, if you don't take it too serious, I'm playing it on ITYTD with lots of soulspheres and megaspheres. Some maps require good straferunning skills, where I'm pretty bad at ...

Finished Baculus just now. Levels 28 and 29 were quite tough (I ended up just running the gauntlet towards the end of 28 and finishing with 57% kills, shamefully) but I had a lot of fun with the WAD, especially the hell levels. Pretty good IoS map too, with an atmospheric start that's definitely more interesting than "hoover up weapons and ammo in a square room". Don't think I could've finished it without mid-map saves but pistol starting was really fun. Shame it seems to be stuck in RC1 limbo, though.

Thinking of spending some time with Ultimate Doom WADs next. Probably will go through SIGIL and then maybe Deathless. We'll see.

EDIT: Just noticed that the author of Baculus released an E1 replacement WAD earlier this year. Guess I know what I'm playing next, then.

Edited by ironicmoustache