Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

What are you playing now?

On 5/19/2020 at 7:53 PM, <<Rewind said:

Eviternity image

Whoa, that looks hella cool. Is this your original edit or someone else's?

2 hours ago, Catpho said:

Whoa, that looks hella cool. Is this your original edit or someone else's?

Thanks, I edited it. I used Eviternity's textures, Giger's Black Door painting and Doom logos.

PS. I made a cover for every game I own and created a slideshow randomizer because Steam doesn't have a "play random game feature" :)

Like plenty of people here I’m catching up on some WADS that had been on my list for a long time. 

Back to Saturn X Episodes 1 & 2: Episode 1 is fantastic, great music and fun level design. Deserves the hype, really well-done. Not overly difficult. Episode 2 is good but more uneven in quality, plenty of good maps to discover though. Where both episodes shine is the dark and mysterious storyline. 

Ancient Aliens: Awesome! I loved this. Skillsaw might be my new favorite mapper. Tough but fair, except for maybe map28. Excellent soundtrack, very evocative. Boarding UFOs, warping to distant planets and uncovering a vast conspiracy gives it a real sense of adventure and tongue-in-cheek humor. I didn’t love the new enemies quite as much, however they are a nice addition to mix up the gameplay. Just a really fun WAD that doesn’t take itself too seriously. If you haven’t played this yet you really should. 

Community Chest 2: I had been wanting to play map 24, The Mucus Flow, (which I appreciated but didn’t love) for awhile so I decided to play through the whole WAD. It’s a mixed bag with mostly good-to-average maps after a surprising (yet brief) opener by Erik Alm. Some maps are just plain bad (Gene Bird I'm looking at you) while others explore some fun ideas. Others seem tedious with skyrocketing difficulty. Map 15, City Heat, was a standout. It’s a lot like Odyssey of Noises from Plutonia with more puzzles and monsters and interesting building interiors. It gets a bit spammy with all the warping baddies but once they’re disposed of, finding the hidden switch in each of the 9 buildings to open the secret exit was very satisfying.

3 hours ago, trem0lo said:

Tough but fair, except for maybe map28.

That particular map wasn't even by skillsaw, that was a guest map by Joshy :P It's not unfair or especially tough if you are familiar with that sort of map (and it's not a bad introduction if you aren't). If you loved Ancient Aliens, you'll love skillsaw's other major works, Lunatic, Vanguard, and Valiant. The last one in particular is among my favourite wads, and shows very much how you can keep Doom feeling like Doom, while modifying most of the cast.

I just finally got into playing WADs with GZDoom, so I've got a great deal of stuff to explore and catch up. I smashed through Doom II's campaign with the Brutal Doom mod, which was fun. I played OG Doom religiously from the age of 6, so replaying it in a new fashion like that was refreshing. Right now, I'm playing through Cyriak's old megaWAD Going Down.

image.png.c3bd71d0862cfb8eceec559e18ca2378.png

Suffice to say, I'm having a blast.

13 hours ago, 3saster said:

That particular map wasn't even by skillsaw, that was a guest map by Joshy :P It's not unfair or especially tough if you are familiar with that sort of map (and it's not a bad introduction if you aren't). If you loved Ancient Aliens, you'll love skillsaw's other major works, Lunatic, Vanguard, and Valiant. The last one in particular is among my favourite wads, and shows very much how you can keep Doom feeling like Doom, while modifying most of the cast.

Ah, that makes sense. I’m definitely familiar with slaughtermaps though I find them tedious at times. I enjoyed Sunder and Sunlust immensely so I think there are ways to make them more interesting. Valiant is next on the list and I’ll definitely be playing the others soon, thanks for the suggestions!

Recently finished:

PATHOGEN – Fun fun fun. Solid E1 replacement with a couple of highlight levels and a high standard throughout. Remarkably good for a speedmapped set of maps. Somewhat suitably, "crunchy" is a word that came to mind playing the WAD. Not too difficult, but it also avoids ever feeling like a slog or a trivial exercise in blasting imps/pinkies/etc in a corridor. Was great to play this right after BACULUS.

SIGIL – Some top-notch aesthetics here. Some great moments too, like E5M5 and the castle/teleporting sequence in E5M6. Does get bogged down by having to plink away at cacos and barons with the shotgun from time to time, but still pretty fun overall.

Infernovasion – The author wanted to make an atmospheric WAD and I think they succeeded. Great detailing, use of light/dark, and perfect music choices. Maybe a bit too much teleporting in of monsters and super-tight traps, but still fun. This and PATHOGEN are kind of polar opposites in terms of Ultimate Doom philosophy, I'd say.

Currently playing:

Deathless – I've been sitting on this for a while but was reminded of it when I saw that there was a new version out. Just finished E2 and it's real good so far. I really liked E2M7, and both of the episode enders so far have been interesting and fun (and, you know, actually somewhat challenging) twists on the Doom originals. Bite-sized, blazing-fast fun, not too hard but also not trivial either. I can see why it's gotten so much praise and was made into an official add-on.

Still on Hell To Pay, reached MAP16. I'm only halfway through and it's probably taken me two hours plus to get there, and people thought TNT was a long slog. Unlike TNT however I actually enjoy quite a lot of the maps on offer and the sprite replacements have grown on me.

Finished the Doom 3 Desolated mod (TC to be more technically correct) earlier today.

A rather interesting mod I daresay, it reminds me a lot of Cry of Fear for some reason, but with RPG elements. The quest system was alright, and so were the abilities the mod added. But I wish the quests themselves were a bit more than basic fetch-me-this-or-that kind of deal, and some weapons were rather underwhelming even when leveled up - looking at you shotgun. The locations were also interesting, deserts, city, hell, villages, and so on, quite feature packed. And there were also secret maps and bonuses but I chose not to play those.

The only aspects of it that I didn't really like were on the technical side of things, such as the way the voice lines were recorded, it shows that they weren't recorded with adequate hardware, and every time the author screamed I could clearly hear noises covering the voice. I think he also did all the voices by himself, so everyone sounds the same to me. Fairly nice otherwise, music was also quite good. Another issue would be that the author was also clearly not a native English speaker, which in itself is not a problem, mind you, but the English was extremely broken on many occasions across the chapters - the journal is full of grammar mistakes and verb tenses used incorrectly - and so are some NPC dialogues.

Now the million dollar question that remains is what to play next... I'm having a hard time finding good Doom 3 mods. Some of them seem to be good BUT have missing files, particularly those that should normally ship with a game .dll but no such file exists in the actual archives, while others use installers, such as In Hell's - uh, no, I'm not touching them, I'm quite skeptical of such distribution methods thanks to some past unpleasant experiences. Decisions, decisions... really wanna play more Doom 3 mods frankly but finding mods ain't a fun process, despite YT having quite a few let's plays...

Finally finished Valiant. What an epic megawad. I really like that it starts with a punch, doesn't mess around with the easy level 1 trope. It has a very consistent quality throughout, the only levels I can say I didn't like that much were Cyberwar 7734 and The Popes of Roam. Except for the Super Mancubus, the custom monsters were excellent (and I'm not always the biggest fan of custom monsters), and the Super Chaingun was so satisfying to use.

I also just finished Mars War with the DWMC.

Next up, doing a full replay of TNT and Plutonia for the first time in about 15 years...should be interesting. Also I will be playing whatever is chosen for the DWMC next month, which will almost certainly be 25 Years on Earth

I'm currently suffering through a nightmare run in tnt, christ it hurts worse then fallout 4 survival.

I was playing Putrefier until this happened.

image.png.63943db48149533c6fd202e49e870c9b.png

image.png.5becd26bc94c881787ad6c557c60a5c7.png 

Not sure if this is a bug or something, but heh... welp, guess I'm done with it. So now I'm playing UAC Ultra.

currently playing the original 1995 version of mr smiley's head safari, i don't like the remaster because it messes with the spirit of the WAD too much

Recently finished:

Deathless – Great, great WAD. Quick maps, very fun, great flow and zero slog or grind. Jimmy mentioned that it was balanced for continuous play in the thread but I played with pistol starts and didn't have any issues. Made some of the openings more fun, too. E3 was probably my favourite. Loved the take on the E3M8 archetype, especially

Spoiler

having to run the two hell knight gauntlets for the powerups and wee bit of extra ammo (although, admittedly, I'm not sure how essential the extra ammo was).

Double Impact – I enjoyed most of it. Didn't play the secret level as I couldn't find the E1M3 blue key and since so much of the level leads up to the secret exit I decided to revisit it sometime in the future and "earn" the secret level instead of just warping to it (as I sometimes do). Pretty challenging WAD, with hitscanner attrition being real thing. Some occasional bullshit that frustrated me a bit, but those moments were outweighed, I felt, by the constant butt-clench and high tension play. Don't think I would have appreciated it as much if I was playing saveless, but hey. E1M8 felt like more than a bit of bullshit but I figured it out after a few tries.

Up next:

Almost definitely going to be playing the WAD chosen for next month's DMWC, not sure what else I'm going to be playing anything else alongside it.

Hell To Pay completed, doing the last official PWAD release I can think of, The Lost Episodes of Doom as it's another one I never completed. Thinking after that I will jump to Icarus: Alien Vanguard and finally beat that.

I just started "Doom the Way id Did" for Doom 1 on PC, and "No Rest for the Living" for Doom 2 on my Switch. Been enjoying myself quite a bit. I've only recently gotten back into classic Doom in the last month and have been having a blast.

Playing for the fourth time Scythe II, just cause i love frustration. It's always great until you get to freaking map 22 and you find yourself surrounded by tons of plasma marines with no health whatsoever. HATRED

but i really love that megawad, my personal favorite.

Played "MaulHi2" by Jason Franklin.   It's an interesting school level from '95 with some cool technical details that must have been a bitch to set up without a 3d view in the editor (all the writing in hallways).  Gameplay is pretty easy but slightly random.  Most people should skip this I'd say, unless you're feeling nostalgic for that doomcute experience of '95.

Started playing "Rush" by Archi and am liking it so far.  (died on level 1 after a wave of imps with a badly timed rocket.)   Health is a little too sparse but doable for me on HMP.   Visually it's stunning so far; anyways, I need to rebuild my skills; so this will do nicely I think.

Playing through Scythe right now and will be following it up with Scythe 2. Short, sharp, sweet, and straight-to-the-point maps, I love it. 

Playing Doom the way did on Dosbox, reached E3M4 so far.

Really good maps, pretty faithful to the original ones and to the feel of "first time playing" of the game. I don't quite liked E2M9, it looks kinda ugly.

Mordeth

Playing UV continuous in ZDoom. Not bad, a bit too much switch and puzzle oriented for me though. Still, there are only six levels (for now, LOL).

I'm playing through Struggle, reached map10. Fun set, but I'm still conflicted about gun changes... 

Alien Vendetta UV pistol starts. On map27 right now. Still mostly a good megawad, some maps I don't really care for these days.

I finished Evilution. It had its moments, but overall I found it to be very uneven, and I'm thankful for the way a Continuous playthrough smooths over the rough patches. I get the impression that it's supposed to be a historically-important milestone to show what modders could do with the game, but I have to say that I don't like TeamTNT's midis, or their textures (except the animated computer screens - those are pretty cool).

Spoiler

18289291_Evilution2.png.7f48b904172b9c3947159e167b338831.png

I was amused to discover that when you reach Map28, the game says: "Since you made it this far, you get to play a Plutonia map, as a treat."

Mega Phase by @MegaZzZeux.  Nice design reminding me of ReX Claussen. Memfis is right, though: the backtracking is insane. After 15 minutes of playing, with only 27 monsters left (there are 164 at the start), I collected the first key! (The map uses 3 keys). Then I spent >9 minutes looking for switches scattered everywhere. If you play it, I recommend using automap and mark feature as if you were playing Darkdome.

playing Intercept (the first one) with DoomRL Arsenal and trying Memorial, all that talk on Doom General made me hunt it down to play :D