Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

What are you playing now?

I'm going through Speed of Doom, after reading some of the more recent views.

It's quite different from I expected, I'm on map 20 and the later batch has been quite fun. The levels are well detailed too and it feels like a remix of Alien Vendetta + Plutonia 2. Hardest level so far has been the first one lol (I'm playing countinuous though)

Finished MAP12: No Tomorrow by Use3D for the first Community Chest after 53 minutes of a lot of head scratching due to the nonsensical progression at times. I honestly don't know how you're suppose to get the yellow key without plasma bumping it through the bars, there wasn't anything to work with and the area locks you in unless you get that key. Besides that it was architecturally interesting but it wasn't the greatest to play, with a surprising amount of health starvation. The next map in the megawad is also his and his last contribution to said WAD. Pacing issues much? I only ever finished CChest3 and liked it quite a bit back in 2009 so I'm trying to play catch-up, I didn't get very far in the original and I only got about halfway through the sequel before stopping so I'll have to eventually play that one too.

E: Welp MAP13 just halted all my progress, 30 minutes passed, 80 monsters left, no keys, left hanging again with no clue how to proceed, don't really feel like revisiting the same areas just to confirm my beliefs that nothing changed, this might be where I get off. Ugh, take notes and don't do what this guy did when it comes to navigation, it's constantly wasting your time!

E: Oh good, something broke on my end, bars that should've lowered decided not to in Woof.

E: IT'S ALL COOL SAVEGAMES JUST DON'T UPDATE COMPATIBILITY WHEN CHANGED SO I THOUGHT I WAS IN BOOM FORMAT AND WAS ACTUALLY IN VANILLA FOR THIRTEEN FUCKING LEVELS THAT'S OKAY I'M NOT MAD OR ANYTHING.

Spoiler

heh, time to restart, excuse me while I go cry for a while

Edited by Lila Feuer

Played Zap07 and Zap18 tonight.  

Started replaying Zap18 and I managed to experience the NoClip bug while playing Zap18 again; that was freaky and ruined a perfectly good run.   Took place after the yellow key door in the east-west passage leading to the red skull key.   

Edited by joepallai : bug

Recently finished MAP32 of Community Chest 1, for the penultimate secret map requiring Kaiser's timed-once-with-foreknowledge-required secrets to even get to MAP31 on MAP15 and MAP31's admittedly clever exit secret this was the most haphazard random thrown together thing I've played in recent megawad memory. Was there no screening process for this WAD or were they desperate to fill in a slot that nobody else wanted or could think of anything to do with? It's just insulting, I don't know what's worse, big slog maps that are unintuitive to navigate or just really boring random stitched together areas with waves of monsters. The latter's certainly easier and actually doable in under 10 minutes but it doesn't feel any more rewarding. Finally halfway through!

I finished my UV-Continuous playthrough of Oops! All TechBase. It remained a solid, well-made WAD the whole way through, and flowed pretty well from map to map - I'm glad that the final product is so cohesive in style & tone.

700111331_OATB2-Small.png.33af765a23a400d73b97de58ae7862ea.png

E3 had several marathon maps, which seems appropriate for the final chapter of the game when you're already invested. mistersector's MAP24 (pictured) was the first big undertaking, with a ton of places to go which interconnect with each other and open up gradually as you explore. Super Mighty G's MAP25 was less of a sandbox and more of an adventure map that impressed by its ability to keep each new chapter engaging - you were equally as likely to find a new secret to buff you as you were to find a new trap to brutalize you, and the process of discovery carried it for its runtime. And the last map to stick in my memory was Egg Boy's MAP28, which eschews the bright outdoor areas under this chapter's Plutonia E1 sky and instead takes place under a pitch-black sky, in a green & grey tech void which is evocative of Maelstrom. It's a brutal BFG battle which is short & sweet, contrasting against its peers by not sprawling endlessly but instead putting all the focus on its setpiece encounters. It required a ton of retries before I was able to successfully run its obstacle courses and break through its battles, but it was time well spent.

Glad to know MAP27 confirms my suspicion on Community Chest 1 that this WAD wasn't playtested and was most likely balanced around psychopaths. I ran out of all my ammo and I have no health and I'm expected to keep slogging through with nothing to work with. From a consecutive play! I'm sorry? What the hell happened here? I really hope I didn't just lose nearly 8 hours of my life trying to finish this thing, I already don't look forward to another one of Gene Bird's filler maps followed by the biggest goddamn bastard in the entire megawad on MAP29 and then apparently a very uncool Icon fight as the finale. I'm so pissed off right now lmao.

E: Oh my, nope, MAP29 is mental illness in map format, illogical and broken in ways I didn't think Doom could be, on top of doing everything in the author's power to ensure it would be his legacy of "fuck you very much for playing" as the last map before his passing, but it's the cherry on top for most user hostile megawad I've come across since Hell Revealed II. I have no idea what I'm doing, where I'm going, what's happening around me, really anything, the senses are simultaneously overwhelmed and dulled. It's been something of a running theme in most of the maps, so resource starvation on top just makes trying to solve the lunacy that much more horrendous. I gotta throw in the towel, enough's enough.

Edited by Lila Feuer

I found CChest MAP29 tough but not broken. I played CChest from MAP01 to MAP30, without pistol start but I didn’t remember with which difficulty.

Follow this walkthrough.

Plutonia 2, enhanced using Brutal Doom V21!  Since Dario started with his playthrough I (like so many others) knew I has to follow.

All running nicely under LZDoom, though I hear the new GZDoom runs better on Intel Integrated so will give it another shot this weekend =D

Sadly only runs at 1080P.  Native 1440P will give me single-digit frames with heavy rendering jobs (i.e. blood & guts).  Last picture is a nice action shot I quickly stole from level 14.

aPXqJVi.jpg

uxDF7f0.png

17 minutes ago, RaszagalPhoenix said:

I'm tryna beat Hell Revealed II after beating the first one. Man was that first WAD a nightmare. Playing with PrB+. I'm currently on MAP08 btw.

Good luck, HR2 lives up to it's legacy in the difficulty department.  

32 minutes ago, Zilch said:

All running nicely under LZDoom, though I hear the new GZDoom runs better on Intel Integrated so will give it another shot this weekend =D

Sadly only runs at 1080P.  Native 1440P will give me single-digit frames with heavy rendering jobs (i.e. blood & guts).  Last picture is a nice action shot I quickly stole from level 14.

In Regards to brutal doom I would recommend using the janitor options to help clean up the framerate   

As for myself I am playing Doom Zero and Alien Vendetta on UV and HMP respectively.  The 2 compliment each other really well so when I want a break from one, I can play the other one, I only wish that Doom Zero had a custom soundtrack that wasn't just doom midis.   

I have no pictures right now, but I have been streaming Ashes 2063: Afterglow for many days so far, I beat Ashes 2063 Enriched Edition + Dead Man Walking on three days, but the sequel is taking a lot more (Which is nice because I really really love the mod), I am right now on uh... I do not remember the map number, but it is right after diving into an area using a hazard suit.

Sunder and Abadon but I cant play them more than one hour in a seat in order to avoid outrage and to punch the screen.

I completed Going Down last night; a pwad I’ve been longing to play if I ever got back to Doom on PC. And I did, so for this has been one of my projects for the past couple of months.

While the progress was slow (at worst I’d play map a week) I did enjoy myself, playing on HMP (UV proved too much for me by MAP08). Yesterday I ran through maps 23-30.

I really liked what I think is the unique style of compact and cute maps that are challenging, but mostly in a fun way. That said, I found myself grow weary by the end stretch of maps. Perhaps I should have kept playing on ”one map at a time”-basis. Even so, MAP28 (Necropolis) was quite an ordeal, even on HMP. I had to use a lot midfight saves, because there is only one fight of nearly 1000 enemies. This is another case of ”how on earth people can survive this on UV-saveless”. I guess they can, but not me.

Other wads I’m going through for the first time:

• Interception II (on map22)
  • 1000 Lines 3 (on map12)
  • Eviternity (on map11)
  • Valiant (on map09)
  • Warglaive (on map05)
  • Fractured Worlds (on map04, but I’ll restart it now that there is a idGames release)
  • Tangerine Nightmare (on map03)
  • Alien Vendetta (on map06)

As soon as the list shortens, I shall start up Ancient Aliens.

Edited by RHhe82

Just finished Abysm 2: Infernal Contract and moving on to the expansion. Also been playing a lot of Ashes 2063.

Just beat RTC-3057 demo, couldn't get Space Station Omega to work properly, so I guess I'm effectively done with the top 100 WADs of all time. I'm going to be working on the WADs from these two threads:

next, so I just started Base Ganymede.

I've been playing Evilution for the first time. Gotten up to Prison on UV so far, no save scumming, and pistol start if I die. So far it's been much more exciting to play this way, amd I'm really loving the level design. Creative, and feels like it all goes together. I like the gimmicky maps Doom 2 has a few of, but these maps in Evilution are the style I really like so far.

5 hours ago, FutureDAY said:

Trying to pass me e4m2 of ultimate doom

So far those first 2 maps of e4 were harder than Evilution