Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

What are you playing now?

Finished Newgothic Movement and soon going to check out UAC Ultra.

Gonna start playing something that's pretty old but seems interesting: CRINGE! by Mark Klem and Eric Sargent from 1994. Some people might know Mark Klem for his music compositions that he made for Memento Mori 1 & 2. Gonna try it out in GLBoom+ since i get major screen tearing in PrBoom+ sadly.

I'll be playing on UV as well as using the custom sounds patch & graphics patches for the WAD. It should be quite an interesting play-through. I just hope it doesn't have any mandatory secrets as i really hate those hehe.

UPDATE: I'm about halfway through CRINGE! after restarting the whole thing once (i tend to have a hard time sitting down & "legitimately" playing Doom sometimes). So far a few levels have given me some trouble since they have mandatory secrets (hidden keys, ect.) and i had to no-clip just to figure out where the hell to go. There is also a custom mini-boss in a few levels as well which seems to use the same chaingun as the Spider Mastermind (hitscan) but it's not too hard to beat with rockets or the BFG. On another note the music is really good so that's a relief.

I've also encountered a few traps such as crushers & teleporter mazes that are kind of annoying. I suppose this is typical of early Doom mapping so i suppose i can't complain too much. After this i'm going to try a "somewhat" newer PWAD, probably something that is well regarded and hopefully something a tad more interesting.

Edited by CyberDreams : update

A bit of an update because yes (?):

Currently going through Doom 2 Reloaded, a vanilla one-man megawad that aims to follow a continuity through the story like the original games. It lacks custom music so I added various tracks on my own along with a music pack by Lingyan203. Already on map 06.

During the last couple weeks I played the rest of the DWMC selections for this month, Earth (bad experience, annoying concepts not of my taste) and The Classic Episode (very enjoyable, almost on par with DOTD). Then Water Spirit, a trio of gorgeous maps with an ultramarine-brown predominant scheme, demanding on their own way: irregular geometry slaughtery, not that intense in general, save for the end-of-level squadrons of archviles and the grotesque spam of pinkies-imps in the second map). Next was MAYhem 2013, basically a collection of maps featuring only 2 monster types in each map, highly recommended for atypical design, concepts and devilish in many cases, specially the maps by Dobu, ArmouredBlood, Ribbiks and Magnusblitz, although Melon's map takes the prize for the funniest ending. Finally, I went for a Heretic wad called Elf Gets Pissed, and it was awesome, also very demanding, I never used that many timed bombs before. This and "Realm of Parthoris" are proofs of high quality mapsets showing that Heretic can be tricky, fun and good-looking. 

Finished Deus Vult 2 today and going to start Ultimate Doom the Way id Did tomorrow.

I must admit, this was a very productive week for Doom related stuff.

Finished UDTWID and going to start Newgothic Movement 2 soon.

I have very mixed feelings about UDTWID... especially after playing the previous installments. I expected more fun and interesting challenges, but I spent most of my time dying in all sorts of ways to hitscanners, enemies teleporting or monster closets opening behind me, and so and so on. Glad I died where I did in my Ironman run, it didn't prove to be an enjoyable experience...

But I'm also running out of ideas about what to play next. Any suggestion is much appreciated.

Just now, galileo31dos01 said:

What kind of stuff are you looking for?

Nothing specific to be honest, just something you find good and entertaining, be it slaughter or not, my mind is empty.

28 minutes ago, seed said:

Nothing specific to be honest, just something you find good and entertaining, be it slaughter or not, my mind is empty.

NOVA: The Birth (one of my favourite community projects, mostly standard levels)

Requiem (old and full of sweet midis, tricks and such)

Survive in Hell (HR/HR2/KS in the eyes of JC, kind of a ripoff)

Dark Resolution 2008 (great setting, sharp difficulty raise)

Preacher (amazing concept with high replay value, funny setting)

Heroes' Tales (mixed bag, freelook recommended for map21)

Mano Laikas (functional maps, RL-centric)

Plutonia 2 (just an awesome megawad)

Dawn of The Dead (very good E1 replacement for Doom)

etc, etc, etc...

If you want more, here's my list of touched stuff in chronological order, all sorts of wads minus GZDoom or something of the kind. It got considerably longer throughout the last three years :P

1 hour ago, galileo31dos01 said:

"Mano laikas" in Lithuanian means "my time". I just checked wad's author name and it isn't Lithuanian lol.

8 hours ago, galileo31dos01 said:

NOVA: The Birth (one of my favourite community projects, mostly standard levels)

Requiem (old and full of sweet midis, tricks and such)

Survive in Hell (HR/HR2/KS in the eyes of JC, kind of a ripoff)

Dark Resolution 2008 (great setting, sharp difficulty raise)

Preacher (amazing concept with high replay value, funny setting)

Heroes' Tales (mixed bag, freelook recommended for map21)

Plutonia 2 (just an awesome megawad)

Dawn of The Dead (very good E1 replacement for Doom)

etc, etc, etc...

If you want more, here's my list of touched stuff in chronological order, all sorts of wads minus GZDoom or something of the kind. It got considerably longer throughout the last three years :P

Already played requiem, quite a long time ago actually. I'll check the other ones though.

Right now I'm in the middle of The Joy of Mapping 6's 4th episode.

The quality in this session is out of this world, I've enjoyed most of the maps, those that I enjoyed less are some secret maps, but I suppose there's a reason they're kept secret. Honorable mention goes to Dobu's E3M1 - A psychotic take on the original E3M1, you have to check it out!

Next up will be DBP07 + 08. After that, probably Birthday Bash.

Recently went through Doom 2 Reloaded. My feelings for it were mixed, it wasn't until the latter section of theoretically "Hell" maps that I was starting to get excited for the next map and so on. This isn't to say the earlier episodes were boring, but I have other preferences where ultra linearity/corridor-centric layouts aren't part of. Also, while the design is respectable for the most part, I found the "heavy conceptual" maps to be hit or miss:

- The timed invasion in map 09 is clearly explained in the text file (oh yea, read it, sound advice) and once I did my research, the concept seemed interesting. Unfortunately part of the execution didn't let me properly complete the map, due to a bottleneck of archviles and others on top of a lift and me basically BFG-less.

- Then the stealth map, where you had to reach to a end without making a single noise, even if at some point you are bombarded by revenants on a bridge. Took many tries to actually win, it's one you're far better with a proper route than going blind.

- The super secret map was utterly exhausting but very interesting throughout, except for one big draw which is a one-time vile-jump nearing the end that I'm sure everyone who played this screwed it up the first time. I wasn't aware of a (one-time) secret and saved after killing the vile, so I had to noclip, boo!. At the end, continuous players are highly rewarded, but from a pistol start, it can hurt to restart the next map.

- There's also map 24, which I couldn't take seriously. Put yourself in automap mode, imagine a giant square, now picture it as a labyrinth, except from start to end is all linear, straightforward, no dead ends, or else imagine the maze from Mount Pain but quadrupled. What the fuck...  

- Finally, the IoS map like usually that I care for about two or three tries or idclip inside the wall, although this time I forced myself to beat it legally. Didn't help that I was stubborn to end the map as fast as possible with monsters spawning in the floor and spiderdemons sniping from the right side, that I should have killed earlier but the plasma went to those new monsters. There was an alternate route which required some sr40 or 50 on pillars, but things kept blocking me from below and the aforementioned spiders always killing me, so that route was dismissed.

Anyways, it's a fine megawad specially for casual players, iwad lovers, even if the wad isn't that old-fashioned. Pistol starting is typically tricky at each start, encouraging to move around skipping dudes you can leave for later, but the secrets can turn drastically the gameplay from intense to a cakewalk. 

Now I'll be playing Mayan Mishap by Tango, mainly because I fell in love with the palette changes (indigo omg).

I was originally playing CRINGE! (by Mark Klem and Eric Sargent; 1994) but i decided to put the rest of it on hold, that is if i ever return to it, and i switched to playing Eviternity by Dragonfly (with help from others). It was originally released in 2018 on the 25th Anniversary of Doom's release (Doom's birthday) but the final version was released in February of 2019 and i'm totally loving it so far! The OTEX textures are spectacular too look at, even in software rendering (for those of you who either love or hate software mode). I tend to play Doom a little slow so i'm sure this megawad will take me quite a while.

Finished the Newgothic Movement series and going to start BTSX soon.

Good thing is, I have a small list of megawads waiting now too, after recently running out of ideas. Next up will be (in no specific order): Speed of Doom, Flotsam, Hanging Gardens, Moonblood (funny, I'm doing it backwards again, just like I did with skillsaw. Starting with Ancient Aliens and going all the way back to Aeternum :v. Sector 666 and something else remains though, but uh... I dunno if I'll actually get to those. Probably will, for curiosity's sake I guess.)

Speaking of which, impressive to see how skillsaw evolved over the years, yet even his early works carry his signature, in spite of the maps being all over the place at this time. I know for sure I'm gonna be really disappointed after Hanging Gardens, BigMacDavis played it recently (that's how I found it, but I think I've heard the name on DW before, just didn't know what it was) and it's such a fucking shame the project got canned. We would have needed some beefy PCs for the later maps me thinks, since stuff's quite fancy and it would've probably gotten even more so down the road. That is, if the gameplay was going to be the same in the rest of the maps, which never got made... Fancy slaughter and GZDoom? Sounds... intense xd.