Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

What are you playing now?

Recommended Posts

Finished Revolution! a couple of days back. Charming megaWAD, could have been harder but it was nice to just zone out, enjoy the scenery and blast enemies with the SSG.

 

Now I'm on another classic WAD, Requiem. Up to Map 07 so far, really liking it. The final section of Map 05 was a bit of a pain with the barrage of sniping imps, though... 

Share this post


Link to post

Aside from the usual DooM and some casual Enter The Gungeon matches, right now I'm playing Skyrim.

As for DooM, I'm playing Project Brutality with Eviternity, some maps of Chapter 1 are cool so far.

Share this post


Link to post

I am almost done playing through Valiant (Vaccinated Edition) with my modified Eriguns mod. Tough megawad, but the levels look really nice, especially the Hell themed maps.

Share this post


Link to post

I played Eternal Doom twice recently and I've been playing it for the third time now. Getting a better time on each map as I go!

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, valkiriforce said:

I played Eternal Doom twice recently and I've been playing it for the third time now. Getting a better time on each map as I go!

Wish I had enough energy to get through Eternal Doom. The levels are massive.

Share this post


Link to post

I did do a casual playthrough of it on YouTube not too long ago, but I took the time to kill monsters while trying to get through the maps quickly. This time I'm ignoring a lot of monsters and just rushing through it to see how fast I can finish some of the maps. I think Dark Dome recently took me over 15 minutes, but that was thanks to missing at least one of the needed switches to unlock the yellow key. Otherwise I seem to have most of the routes down to memory at this point. It's a pretty big commitment but I feel it's been worth it, and I may do another playthrough sometime so people can see the quickest routes.

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/28/2019 at 10:45 PM, akhlq said:

Finished Revolution! a couple of days back. Charming megaWAD, could have been harder but it was nice to just zone out, enjoy the scenery and blast enemies with the SSG.

 

Now I'm on another classic WAD, Requiem. Up to Map 07 so far, really liking it. The final section of Map 05 was a bit of a pain with the barrage of sniping imps, though... 

I've been playing on and off through Requiem...some of the early levels (esp map 06) were really good. Quality seems to have nosedived since map 19 though. Just finished map 21 and I hated it, so many annoying cryptic puzzles and even an insta death section

 

I've also been working my way through Eviternity....now that wad is outstanding! Highlights for me have been Cryonology and Viscera so far, those maps are so atmospheric

Share this post


Link to post

Oh, right, currently enjoying Bloodspeed as much as I can so there's an open window for me to make videos. Still debating whether to start now or wait until I covered every single map, so far nothing grotesque to impede me to attempt saveless (but wait, there's more Shadowman later, and one BeeWeen finale, oh effing boy). Content shows how talented and stylish are certain well-known mappers of the community, as well as including people who most probably started recently and did a solid debut. I'm judging from what I see with the little background information I read, that some maps originated in previous speedmapping contests or things like that, so excuse my ignorance. Anyways, that's pretty much it, not sure what to replay next (undecided whether to choose TNTR, PRCP, or SoD, but definitely in the mood for some fast-paced stuff).

Share this post


Link to post

I just finished KZDoom7. The Kessler maps are certainly a tour de force of Doom mapping at the turn of the century: Scrolling textures, sloped surfaces, colored sectors, particles, submersible water, six door keys, limits removal, scripts, poly objects, etc. KZDoom7 has them all! It also lacks substance. There were the classic monsters that snap into place which were challenging, enemies blasting you with bullets from across vast spans of open space, and strange machinery spinning around. Very little of it made sense. The design bounces around with "base" hallways so narrow it's hard to imagine a human building the structure and huge auditoriums nearby. Overall, this feels like a map trying to recreate the features of other games and failing to do what makes Doom the success it always has been: An intimate frenzy of challenging combat within close spaces with limited resources. 2/5 It's not bad but it won't keep you coming back for more.  

Screenshot_Doom_20190902_190644.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190902_185815.png

Share this post


Link to post

Now playing through Doom 64 for the first time with the Doom 64: Retribution distribution and loving the simplicity of its level design.   

Screenshot_Doom_20190902_214202.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190902_213055.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190902_205930.png

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/3/2019 at 7:34 AM, Horus said:

I've been playing on and off through Requiem...some of the early levels (esp map 06) were really good. Quality seems to have nosedived since map 19 though. Just finished map 21 and I hated it, so many annoying cryptic puzzles and even an insta death section

 

Yeah, I wasn't sure how I felt about map 21. Some really nice elements and tricks but also quite cryptic and a bit unintuitive. I have no shame about occasionally looking up walkthroughs on the wiki for some maps, including 21. Map 23 is a bit of a doozy; I get the intention, and it's not necessarily impossibly hard, but it feels a bit, eh, nasty?

Edited by akhlq

Share this post


Link to post

Just finished Eviternity. A megawad that is both incredible and disappointing. In all of the first three episodes, there is only one map that just falls short of greatness (Brisk, and it is still a very good map). The attention to detail and the effort put into the look and feel of the maps is amazing. The path to the regular exit on Cryonology was stunning.

 

But after that, things started to go downhill a bit for me. Anagnorisis, though certainly an impressive creation, was just not my style. Too big, too non-linear, so much time spent walking through the same empty routes. The fourth episode was decent but didn't reach the heights of the first three - Dehydration would have been a lot better if it was 25% of the size. The hell episode was actually really good, and Viscera is probably my favourite map of the whole thing (actually a contender for one of my favourite maps of all time), but it ended on a bit of a downer with the frustrating arena map Slave. Then the heaven episode. Transcendence is visually breathtaking, but the slaughtermap gameplay just isn't to my taste at all. Heliopolis was disappointing. Elysium was really well thought out, even with its slaughter-like elements I still really appreciated this map. Then Eternity, not a fan of boss fights in this game and unfortunately this was no exception.

 

So in summary an excellent megawad, but some of its second half differed from my preferences in what I like in a Doom map

Share this post


Link to post

Finnished Bloodspeed a couple days ago, really good set overall. The experience went unevenly, as it seems like I should take a break from playing the game, I had moments where I wanted to hit a wall part because there's something about sudden changes of pace that I need to control: when a map makes me stop for every encounter to use a safe and slow approach, it messes up with my momentum, because throughout the years I naturally became a lot more speedy, so that kind of gameplay feels like a "step back". That was the case for the longer maps, particularly 29, but after a long pause I loaded it again and enjoyed it a lot more, so it's weird how I handle my emotions, and frustrating not to allow myself to just enjoy a videogame. Ugh, I was also playing PRCP and disliked half of the maps til 19 included, when I remember them being a lot more fun, but it seems now I can't take a single thing without getting too salty (not that PRCP was a favourite of mine to begin with, but still). Anxiety wins this battle I guess.

 

Why am I typing this?, whatever, end of rant. Better focus on mapping.

Share this post


Link to post

^ Also this.

 

I experience something similar sometimes. In my case, it manifests as just increased anger towards the current map. Sometimes, if I play a long and/or difficult map, after I proceed to the next one I realize I get pissed off at everything (Rev rocket deals 70 dmg and that makes me rage. Oh, found a trap that kills me or takes almost all my health away? Same story.) In those cases, I'm better off stopping and taking a break, then come back later to finish the job. Before everything turns into a bottomless pit of salt.

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Spectre01 said:

@galileo31dos01 Those sound like acute symptoms of Doom burnout. You may want to take a break and do something else.

 

 

Agreed, be careful, take a break. I too had doom burnout, and it led to me taking a 7 year break from the game. Only in the last month or so have I returned to it.

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/3/2019 at 10:42 PM, akhlq said:

 

Yeah, I wasn't sure how I felt about map 21. Some really nice elements and tricks but also quite cryptic and a bit unintuitive. I have no shame about occasionally looking up walkthroughs on the wiki for some maps, including 21. Map 23 is a bit of a doozy; I get the intention, and it's not necessarily impossibly hard, but it feels a bit, eh, nasty?

 

I just finished Requiem. I see what you mean about map 23. Those ghost Nazi SS were real mean. And the two cybers in close quarters too. Then map 24 was mean with ammo. There were still some good maps at the end, I enjoyed maps 22, 25, 29, but there was also a lot of guff (that last city map went on for way too long).

Share this post


Link to post
55 minutes ago, Horus said:

 

I just finished Requiem. I see what you mean about map 23. Those ghost Nazi SS were real mean. And the two cybers in close quarters too. Then map 24 was mean with ammo. There were still some good maps at the end, I enjoyed maps 22, 25, 29, but there was also a lot of guff (that last city map went on for way too long).

 

Yep. Ghost SS, close quarters Cyberdemons, and those barrels that block you in when you teleport after getting the yellow key...

 

Map 24 has a secret ammo cache that felt almost essential to me, but at least it was a short level and it looked quite good. I enjoyed most of the maps past 23; I didn't mind the huge city level all that much, could have maybe had one or two buildings cut out but I enjoyed it overall. Maybe a bit tight on ammo. Maps 22 and 29 were indeed real good, and I appreciated the fact that map 30 didn't have any annoying IoS gimmicks/etc (especially after having to deal with an IoS on map 23). Requiem as a whole isn't perfect, but I'm still very glad I played it. The high points on balance outweigh the low points for me. It's very much a product of its time I feel, and I can't really blame it for that.

 

Finished up Darkening E1 yesterday. Also feels somewhat dated but still fun. Bite-sized like Revolution but definitely a bit more edge to the combat. Some nice Quake-isms all around (I do like Quake a lot). Going to get started on Darkening E2 soon.

Edited by akhlq

Share this post


Link to post

Eternal Doom.

 

And I'm actually really enjoying it so far, reached MAP20 today in 11 hours and still counting. I'm very surprised by how remarkably well it has aged, if this came out in 2019 I would probably not be able to tell considering the awesome atmosphere, complexity of the maps, and solid gameplay accompanied by an epic soundtrack, all of this done in vanilla no less. For a megawad that had its latest version uploaded in 1997, this is well ahead of its time due to its scope and ambition in my book, it's easily one of the best wads I've played so far. I can see why it gets hate however, it's absolutely NOT a wad for everyone. If you don't know what you're getting into (complex maps with lots of puzzles and often cryptic progression) and can't handle either of these, you will not make it through. I'm glad I started it with the right mindset as I've been able to really enjoy my time so far, and I'm really hoping it doesn't go downhill from MAP20 onward and make me hate it. And honestly, I have seen FAR WORSE maps in terms of progression than what I've seen in ED up until this point, and I am dead serious when I'm saying this.

 

I don't understand why the secret maps are mandatory however, can't find any logical reason for this because they're radically different from the rest of the maps in the package, and MAP32, despite not being mediocre, is definitely a total filler level.

 

I've also played Mordeth recently, and that was fairly decent too. Perhaps my only problem with it is that the existing maps feel a bit too samey, if it ever gets finished I'm hoping the next episodes will offer much more variety, both in terms of locations and gameplay because it really needs these.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, seed said:

Eternal Doom.

 

And I'm actually really enjoying it so far, reached MAP20 today in 11 hours and still counting. I'm very surprised by how remarkably well it has aged, if this came out in 2019 I would probably not be able to tell considering the awesome atmosphere, complexity of the maps, and solid gameplay accompanied by an epic soundtrack, all of this done in vanilla no less. For a megawad that had its latest version uploaded in 1997, this is well ahead of its time due to its scope and ambition in my book, it's easily one of the best wads I've played so far. I can see why it gets hate however, it's absolutely NOT a wad for everyone. If you don't know what you're getting into (complex maps with lots of puzzles and often cryptic progression) and can't handle either of these, you will not make it through. I'm glad I started it with the right mindset as I've been able to really enjoy my time so far, and I'm really hoping it doesn't go downhill from MAP20 onward and make me hate it. And honestly, I have seen FAR WORSE maps in terms of progression than what I've seen in ED up until this point, and I am dead serious when I'm saying this.

/end of sarcasm

 

ftfy

 

jk Eternal Doom is legendary 

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, galileo31dos01 said:

ftfy

 

jk Eternal Doom is legendary 

 

And for good reason as I see so far :).

Share this post


Link to post
  • Avactor: End of the Fifth Circle. Very cool wad! It feels like you are exploring the ruins of a temple. The maps are VERY large, with a heavy emphasis on exploring, and lots of traps. Surprisingly for this kind of mapset, the fights are actually fairly exciting, with many interesting ideas. It also gives a chance for the new monsters/changes to shine; The cacodemon's fireball is much faster, pain elementals explode on death, there is an immoble sentry drone added, and a flying BFG-shooting creature (thankfully used sparingly!). The mapset was very tiring to play for me after a while though, I'd probably recommend you take a break in between each map, especially in the latter half. Eradrop does a great job of guiding the player through the maps given their size, but if you lose your "railroad", you're gonna be spending a long time to figure out how you get back there.
  • HacX: Twitch and Kill. I really wanted to like this, but eventually I got fed up with it and dropped it at MAP12. There's a lot to like about it though. It's full of realistic places (office buildings and whatnot), and tons of destructible objects (glass, computers, lamps,...). In that sense, it feels like a middle ground between Doom and Duke3D. The music is also fantastic. The new graphics can be hit or miss though. Most of the enemies look okay, but there are weird inconsistencies in style (the terminator woman is the worst offender). The weapon graphics are also bizarre, in that they can take up the left, center, or right side of the screen, and many of them are extremely large and obscure your view. The photon-zooka for some reason is also cut-off in widescreen, even though the rest of the weapons aren't. The gameplay can also be janky; the enemies are noticeably spongier than Doom's, and some design choices could have used some polishing (i.e. the mancubus replacement fires explosive shots that can kill you if you are anywhere near the explosion, and the pistol uses 2 shots out of 200 with a backpack). The biggest problem though was by far the level design. There are some great levels in there, but many of them have unclear progression, and which weapons you get often seems completely random. The worst offenders are definitely the cyberspace levels; they have a cool look, but bizarre puzzles and frankly awful gameplay.

    In summary, HacX is a mod with TONS of potential, but the fact that it was rushed is quite evident; the mod is full of good ideas, but really needs a lot of polishing. Here's hoping that HacX 2.0 will see the light of day!
  • Sunder: MAP17. This map is a beast, it took me 7 hours to finish! That's how long it took me to beat Holy Hell! I_G has gone with a unique look, a library filled with electronics and technology (and THOUSANDS of monsters :D). I don't know what Gazebo was doing in his hiatus, but he clearly improved his encounter design, because his new maps are very strong in the gameplay department, and this is no exception. If you though the caco-horde in MAP08 was big, you're in for a surprise... For such an enormous map, Gazebo does a great job of leading you through it. That being said, some things could probably be made a bit more clear (I spent 5 minutes hunting around bookshelves for where to go next, until I looked in GZDB and saw that one of the bookshelves was actually an elevator). This map also opts for some more unique ideas, with mixed results. There is a puzzle (A PUZZLE IN SUNDER????) involving arch-viles that is more difficult to do that it should be, and is weirdly out-of-place in a slaughtermap. He also experiments a bit with incidental combat in a library, which works great as a breather, especially considering that the most difficult fight of the map IMO takes place right after this. The library is filled with crushers, but the bastard put monster-blocking lines in front of them! That particular fight took me over an hour to do, hehe.

    Overall, another outstanding map by Insane_Gazebo! I'm excited for MAP18, the screenshots look fantastic! My only hope is that I_G throws in a shorter map or two, though no less brutal (a MAP06 style map would be perfect IMO). If you keep making them this long, both I_G and the players are gonna get burned out I feel. If he keeps this up, it will almost certainly be the longest megawad ever by playthrough-length (in fact, I think it might already be, but I haven't played Eternal Doom). Long Live Sunder!

Share this post


Link to post

Finished Alien Bastards! last week, which was an absolute blast.

 

Now I'm about 3 hours or so into Abysm: Dawn of Innocence, which is just fantastic. My only gripe would be that it disables vertical autoaim, which, as a keyboard-only player, makes combat overly difficult--especially when facing fast or flying enemies. (Heck, just fighting on a staircase is a major pain.)

Share this post


Link to post

messing about in No End in Sight again, big fan of teh level set. I sorta fixate on particular styles of map instead of trying to play everything
found another way of getting the red key on E2M2 for the first time, sneaking up behind the deaf cacodemons instead of getting teleported in front of them <3

kinda disappointed people think NEIS is "actionless" cos the maps are so clever and subtle

 

edit: also love the way it introduces its new textures without hitting you over the head with them, sometimes you think you're looking at a vanilla bit of COMPOHSO but notice the details vary

Share this post


Link to post

Oof, "where's my beloved thread" I was asking to myself... 

 

Last update was slightly therapeutic, though once again I had to understand it wasn't the game but me, everything is always into me, okay usually. So, I did finnish PRCP peacefully, trying my best not to loose my mind on the IoS map which will forever stand as one of the worst maps ever, in that category and in general, from a personal view, while everything prior is highs and lows but acceptable. I don't think it's an 8/10 like I pointed it before (though numbers don't matter right now), nor that I liked it over Plutonia 2, tables turned a while ago, but it has some sweet content and music. 

 

At the moment I'm nearly finnished with Speed of Doom, boy the pistol starts are a blast in parts and a headache in others, in a good way sometimes. After two years of having played it and exchanged thoughts in the DWMC, my opinions remain similar in essence: yeah Darkwave's stuff is like diet milk in comparison to Joshy's constant desire to get you dead in seconds, which pretty much makes them the yin and the yang respectively. Now I'm learning to appreciate Joshy a lot more, how his style grew into something less experimental and more organic in Resurgence, with its weird parts too (and I really can't wait for Plutonia 3 ffs please be 100% real). It's an interesting combo these two people, I get to like it a lot more nowadays, even if with those frustrating bits like the starts of 13, 25 and 33 entirely. So, currently on map 32 where it appears to have broken halfway through it, the BK switch did not raise the two bridges for the other keys and I stupidly saved after flipping it. GG. I don't like the map that much to restart it when what's left are uninteresting mini awkward fights. Oh well, got too far to throw the towel, another day will be.

Edited by galileo31dos01

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, galileo31dos01 said:

At the moment I'm nearly finnished with Speed of Doom, boy the pistol starts are a blast in parts and a headache in others, in a good way sometimes. After two years of having played it and exchanged thoughts in the DWMC, my opinions remain similar in essence: yeah Darkwave's stuff is like diet milk in comparison to Joshy's constant desire to get you dead in seconds, which pretty much makes them the yin and the yang respectively. Now I'm learning to appreciate Joshy a lot more, how his style grew into something less experimental and more organic in Resurgence, with its weird parts too (and I really can't wait for Plutonia 3 ffs please be 100% real). It's an interesting combo these two people, I get to like it a lot more nowadays, even if with those frustrating bits like the starts of 13, 25 and 33 entirely. So, currently on map 32 where it appears to have broken halfway through it, the BK switch did not raise the two bridges for the other keys and I stupidly saved after flipping it. GG. I don't like the map that much to restart it when what's left are uninteresting mini awkward fights. Oh well, got too far to throw the towel, another day will be.

It doesn't raise bridges, the BK switch activates pillars to climb to the sides beside the red and yellow keys. The switches don't appear until after you climb them, and they are usually obscured by the cyber/mancubus corpses, so they are hard to see anyway.

 

MAP32 is a lot of fun, but it's definitely a "dumb" level. It's silly, and some of the fights don't seem thought out properly (caco swarm after BK), but it's suitably goofy for a super secret level. It's actually not that hard to do saveless, IMO the map is free after the invulnerability rush. MAP23 and MAP29, those are by far the hardest maps in SoD (especially the latter), so have fun on your replay! :P

Share this post


Link to post
23 hours ago, 3saster said:

It doesn't raise bridges, the BK switch activates pillars to climb to the sides beside the red and yellow keys. The switches don't appear until after you climb them, and they are usually obscured by the cyber/mancubus corpses, so they are hard to see anyway.

 

MAP32 is a lot of fun, but it's definitely a "dumb" level. It's silly, and some of the fights don't seem thought out properly (caco swarm after BK), but it's suitably goofy for a super secret level. It's actually not that hard to do saveless, IMO the map is free after the invulnerability rush. MAP23 and MAP29, those are by far the hardest maps in SoD (especially the latter), so have fun on your replay! :P

 

I don't know what raises the bridges then, it all seemed like nothing else to do. No shame on using idclip (found a way to use the keyboard program in prb+ by pausing the game :D). Anyways, it was just one secret and one bonus maps left that I finnished right after posting my previous wall of text. I definitely agree with you about 23, not so much on 29 if played passive-aggressively interchanging the mood. Darkwave's most troublesome map was 18 at the start and none other (actually surprised 22 went smooth this time around), though Joshy's were many to count with one hand, all involving their starts: surviving the sergeants in 13 and 25, trying to grab any other gun in 23 without just dying to whatever, the central piece in 27 and basically the left side being a slog to clean up, would add 32 for its start but wasn't that terrible (rest was meh), and 33 umm idk, might be better with mouselook. 

 

Figured a change of air would go well and opted to replay Hellbound, or rather immerse in the maps and take notes of good detailing. Seems to be working so far.

Share this post


Link to post

@Enjay NJ Doom (Enjay Doom)

 

It's actually pretty good so far for a 1994 wad. Fairly easy on UV too (so far) and i'm not even that good of a player and it seems really well designed, especially for the era. Some of the secrets are actually hard for me to find (shooting walls that i wouldn't think to shoot). I'm not very far in it though, only on the 5th map of Episode 1 (E1M5: Communications Lab) so i have a ways to go.

 

I haven't been playing Doom at all for the past couple of months but i've been feeling a bit better lately so i started up playing this after looking up some classic wads. I didn't want anything too crazy and Enjay has made some pretty awesome pwads (Runaway Train for example) so i figured i'd give this a shot. I dig it so far.

 

It even has a custom endgame screen: 

fYigzdw.png

Edited by CyberDreams

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×