Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

What are you playing now?

Recommended Posts

@Ixnatifual - If I remembered correctly, the hectebi started showing up way more often than necessary on UV last I checked on Titan 1 and 2.

Edit: Nevermind that, I was playing Scoredoom when I encountered the hectebi replacing the mancubi thing.

Share this post


Link to post

lulzwars.wad, the 10-minute wad link posted by a fellow member in a topic around here.

Share this post


Link to post

Newdoom community project. I beat the community chest series (thus far), but never got around to beating the two newdoom community wads. I currently made it up to map 20, and I have been enjoying it thus far.

BloodyAcid said:

lulzwars.wad, the 10-minute wad link posted by a fellow member in a topic around here.


Dah. Quick fun, as it can be beaten in less time than it takes to beat a single lengthy map. Though pretty buggy in spots, particularly the secret levels.

Share this post


Link to post
gun_psycho said:

@Ixnatifual - If I remembered correctly, the hectebi started showing up way more often than necessary on UV last I checked on Titan 1 and 2.

Edit: Nevermind that, I was playing Scoredoom when I encountered the hectebi replacing the mancubi thing.

That explains it. I was worried there was some "other" version of my WADs floating around. I can take the heat for my own mapping flaws, but I draw the line at being blamed for someone else's :p

Share this post


Link to post

I've played Doom 1 E3M5 using my "Too evil" monster/weapon modification. It was goddamn exciting and I love that map.

Share this post


Link to post

Playing through Vanguard with the Simply Deadly weapon mod. So far, I'm at map11, and boy did those replaced weapons help out. (Especially the plasma cannon and the half supershotgun.)

Edit: I finished Vanguard, and that Punch-Out map was a bit tougher than I expected.

Share this post


Link to post

Mandrill Ass Project: I liked most of the wilder ideas, especially the platforming sections. A lot of good stock gameplay to be had and the more abstract maps look solid. The only map I really disliked was MAP07 due to pacing issues. I like the little injections of humor whic give it a Duke3D style as far as joke timing.

Vapordemo: I WANT MORE. I hope John Smith's supposition of Vaporware's demise is greatly exaggerated because that single level is excellent, if all too brief. And it finally got me to tweak the controls until I'm comfortable with them.

Now playing Whitemare.

Share this post


Link to post

I've just finished my second playthrough of Doom Core and finally got it reviewed for /newstuff (assuming Bloodshedder passes it). It's a good megaWAD, but it's just sooo LONG!

Share this post


Link to post
Phobus said:

I've just finished my second playthrough of Doom Core and finally got it reviewed for /newstuff (assuming Bloodshedder passes it). It's a good megaWAD, but it's just sooo LONG!


Yeaaaah, I'm kind of relieved at how much shorter the average map in Reverie was in comparison.

Share this post


Link to post

I just played E2M4 of jaguartc.wad with Freedoom (awesome combination!) I sort of drifted off after finishing E1, but now I'm back at it again. :)

Some parts throw me off because of the lack of crushers, and some other simplifications, but overall it's at least as good as the original and possibly even better this way.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm on a reviewing spree!

I've also just got bogged down, as I'm now playing "Hell Awakened..." which is looking to be another lengthy 32 map megaWAD. I'm also playing it on UV, which is pretty damn tough. I seem to be facing a lot of dark rooms packed with monsters, with the occasional Revenant or whatever suddenly teleporting in front of my face. I'm only up to MAP06 as well...

Share this post


Link to post
Phobus said:

I'm on a reviewing spree!

I've also just got bogged down, as I'm now playing "Hell Awakened..." which is looking to be another lengthy 32 map megaWAD. I'm also playing it on UV, which is pretty damn tough. I seem to be facing a lot of dark rooms packed with monsters, with the occasional Revenant or whatever suddenly teleporting in front of my face. I'm only up to MAP06 as well...


I look forward to the final review. It's gonna be at the tail end of the 2011 WADs I play for my blog.

I finished Whitemare. Everything up until MAP16 was at the very least passable, often good, and in a few spots, masterful. MAP15 is the popular favorite, and rightfully so, but MAP08 was an excellent Evans-style adventure (once I understood). MAP16, though, can go to Hell. I don't hate boss shooters but I think Hell Revealed was more fair than Depraved Feast.

Share this post


Link to post

As a heads up, although the text file says otherwise, I'm pretty sure it's actually meant to be played with plutonia as the IWAD, rather than Doom 2 with plutonia.wad loaded alongside. Either way the MAPINFO/DeHackEd mix is messed up for the first 6 levels (at least).

I have to confess I wasn't too much of a fan of Whitemare. Some of the smaller maps were quite playable, but if MAP15 is the giant, dark snowscape I'm thinking of, I really didn't enjoy that as anything more than a bit of artwork. My favourite map was MAP32, for the hilarious music :P

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah, whitemare had some good levels, although as a midi elitest snob I really wasn't fond of the music choices. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Phobus said:

As a heads up, although the text file says otherwise, I'm pretty sure it's actually meant to be played with plutonia as the IWAD, rather than Doom 2 with plutonia.wad loaded alongside. Either way the MAPINFO/DeHackEd mix is messed up for the first 6 levels (at least).

I have to confess I wasn't too much of a fan of Whitemare. Some of the smaller maps were quite playable, but if MAP15 is the giant, dark snowscape I'm thinking of, I really didn't enjoy that as anything more than a bit of artwork. My favourite map was MAP32, for the hilarious music :P


Yeah, I think the various times the author posted he mentioned that fact and that he was going to remove the Plutonia IWAD requirement at a future date.

I think I'm just more vulnerable to "adventure" / "landscape" maps than some people. They don't play very much like the Doom we're familiar with but I just love exploring them. I got a lot of mileage out of Sacrament for that same reason. And yeah, that track from Killing Time was a good choice.

Share this post


Link to post

Heh. Whitemare mostly consists of modified 4 hour speedmaps. Don't demand too much from it. Non-speedmaps are: 07, 11, 12, 13, 15, 31, 32.

Share this post


Link to post

I last did a playthrough and finished Botherhood of Ruin, it was pretty fun and the aztec theme was wicked looking.

Share this post


Link to post

However long Doom Core on UV was, I'm certain it'll be nothing compared to Hell Awakened, as I must have over 4 hours of cumulative play and I'm only on MAP32. To give you an idea of just how long this really is, MAP31 is accessible from MAP10, and MAP32 is just the next place to go from MAP31. I still have 20.5 maps to go. The author really wasn't playing the difficulty on UV up either. It's a proper ballbuster!

Share this post


Link to post

Playing Lainos's Object 34. I knew from the comments that it was big but I had no idea just how big it was until I grabbed the automap early on and panned around. My jaw actually dropped!

It's really good, though. I took a break after grabbing the red key because the rest of the level is gated behind red key doors, so it seemed like a natural stopping point. Since I'm 450 monsters deep so far I have to say that most of the fights escape me but the action is definitely there, like the cacodemon cage room, and some of the areas are just astounding, like the machinery maze on the way to the yellow key. I'm not entirely fond of the water platforming, mainly because when you fuck up it's a long walk to get back to where you were, though I suppose only one of the three routes from the big fountain is required for you to navigate, and it's clearly flagged. Looking forward of the rest, looking at the unexplored portions.

Share this post


Link to post

Processingcontrol said:
I'm playing STRAIN


I too am playing Strain. I'm on ... map06, I think. I recall now why it never blew me away: a lot of the gameplay is 'hunt the switch', which I don't think is Doom's strong-point at all.

I'm glad you liked Map04 though. Embarrassingly, I only got 50% secrets on it.

Edit: just finished map06. Yeah, that was not one I enjoyed. Switch puzzles are not my idea of what Doom ought to be.

Share this post


Link to post

I finished Strain a few days ago, now I'm playing Scythe (on Map25 now). Maps 23 & 24 were both extremely difficult; 24 is probably the most difficult map I've beaten without saves so far. The main area was a nightmare to navigate without getting stuck in the hords of monsters, it was insane trying to survive the first revenant trap on the blue key balcony, and the arch-vile on the pillar would blast me at the most unexpected moments. An I loved it all the way through. :P

Capellan said:

I too am playing Strain. I'm on ... map06, I think. I recall now why it never blew me away: a lot of the gameplay is 'hunt the switch', which I don't think is Doom's strong-point at all.

Then I guess you're not a big fan of Eternal Doom? :)

I love maps like that myself, but I understand why some people dislike them. I'm not surprised you do considering how most of the maps by you I've played are pretty small and compact.

Share this post


Link to post

Finished Lainos's Sonar. A masterpiece! But you'll be in for the long haul if you play it. My exit time was 2+ hours, and only a fraction of that was out of confusion. And uh, like Lut said in its release thread, don't kill any more caged imps at the beginning than you have to. Really loved the ending here.

Also played the Colonial Marines TC for GZDoom. It's definitely in the spirit of the '94 work, but a lot more horror, feeling more like Doom 3 with how often you'll be tossing flares and using the flashlight. You can't kill every alien, so don't even try. The survival guide is really handy, as it explicitly hints at the danger of hitting the obvious progress switches. My major complaint is the Queen encounter in the hive. It's absolute bullshit, what with the eggs you have to clear, the invincible Queen (who summons in more warriors seemingly at random), and the chestbursters that pop up when you try to take the exit route, which also has eggs and two normal aliens lurking inside. There's no good way to clear that, even more frustrating if you arrive at low health (and you will!). Otherwise a really awesome work; love the 3D architecture.

Share this post


Link to post

Processingcontrol said:
I love maps like that myself, but I understand why some people dislike them. I'm not surprised you do considering how most of the maps by you I've played are pretty small and compact.


It's not a big/small thing, though. MM2 is full of large-ish maps and I like most of it a lot, because the gameplay emphasis is on killing monsters. What I don't like, is flicking a switch, and then wandering through an empty level trying to work out what the heck it did.

As far as Eternal Doom goes, I have downloaded all three, but I haven't played them. Is the gameplay like Icarus? If so, then no, I probably won't like them.

I'm up to map10 of Strain now. Map06 was definitely my least favorite map so far. I am looking forward to maps 11 & 12. Bill McClendon never got a big rep (probably because he released only a few levels) but his work was good.

Share this post


Link to post
Capellan said:

It's not a big/small thing, though. MM2 is full of large-ish maps and I like most of it a lot, because the gameplay emphasis is on killing monsters. What I don't like, is flicking a switch, and then wandering through an empty level trying to work out what the heck it did.

As far as Eternal Doom goes, I have downloaded all three, but I haven't played them. Is the gameplay like Icarus? If so, then no, I probably won't like them.


Some of Eternal's maps are fairly straightforward, but most of them have challenging layouts, especially Flynn's and Evans's stuff. If you dislike that style of gameplay, I would avoid it.

Share this post


Link to post

A bit sad, but I'm finally managing to beat Final Doom Plutonia...other than that Whispers of Satan is damn good too, but a bit too easy on Ultra Violence.

Share this post


Link to post

Return of the Triad was awesome. I was curious how the gameplay differences would pan out but I'd say the episodes are balanced around carrying multiple missile weapons and the 100 coins = god mode changes. The level layouts look gorgeous and are fairly open; El Zee paints with a broad brush. The final fight is a pretty big pain in the ass, though. Beware.

Deimos Entry is a nice little E2M1 replacement. If you want old-old school Doom, give it a play.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×