Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

What are you playing now?

Sanchain

The map is a single hallway lined with shotgunners, stimpacks, and shell packs. The most notable thing about it is that the "walls" are both untextured and non-impassable, so it's possible to just walk into the void. The effect is somewhat interesting, actually -- moving around produces a smear of brown and yellow and black that resembles sci-fi art. But nevertheless, I feel like I just wasted my time.

Mine Camp

Set in a series of cramped gray rooms filled to the brim with barrels and low-tier monsters. Clearly some effort was put into this. The map repopulates with monster closets as you accomplish objectives. There's even an optional room that is nothing but a room full of barrels and low-tier monsters, in case you want to set off another gib chain. A little too cramped in scale to be very fun, however.

Blind Alley B.

Nearly three-quarters of the map's two hundred and something monsters are arranged in the same general configuration: packed on the floor of a medium-sized room, behind a door. Mostly a campfest. There is one encounter where you are warped into a spacious room surrounded by a variety of threats, and another hold-the-breach style encounter where lots of monsters started telporting into a previously cleared room, but apart from that it was a tedious experience.

Played D2200EP1.WAD from Andy Oliveira, quick review:

Map01: Ok start, quite easy but well placed chaingunners keep you on your toes. Mostly brick layout and a metal zone. I saw worse opener.

Map02: Not liked much the gameplay. A lot of fight against demons/imps and hell knights/barons for the last fight. Brown underground cave with aqueducts, not a bad layout.

Map03: First room with a cyberdemon. Died countless time in order to pass the first room but once passed the map is a fight with ssg against several knights/barons arachnotrons. Liked the area homage to Showdown from Memento Mori. The difficulty of the wad increases.

Map04: Very nice. The layout is an indoor tech base ala The Focus which at the beginning starts like a "normal" map then the difficult increases progressively. The finale is the hardest part: arch-viles, revenants packs, cyberdemon. Also there are other tricky parts during the way. Overall a nice thought map with a very good and consistent layout.

Map05: The hardest map of the set: took me 3 days to find a good strategy to max this map and when I *finally* kill everything I left the map with 4 bullets and 30 missiles..
Some infighting, some berzerk actions and ammo management is the key for finish this beast (some traps are quite deadly). The layout is marble, wood and underground cave: very nice, graphically the best of the set. I reccommend this map for people who seeks for challenging levels.

Map06: Beyond the sea. Map 28 from Hell Revealed 2 one of the harderst of the megawad, but I think map 05 is more difficult then this one.

Overall: a good, very thought (map 05 !:&%£$) wad with a classic feeling which I liked: map 04 is my favourite while the highlight of the wad is map 05. Good work

Playing Interception now, currently on MAP24. Cool megawad overall so far, the soundtrack is pretty nice.

Finished Cleimos 2 over the (long holiday) weekend. Good stuff if you like 90s WADs; though it did get a bit mazey, there were only 1 or 2 frustrating bits.

Back into my NDCP replay: MAP19 "Maintenance Area" remains one of my favorites, just a massive sprawling techbase adventure. And then I'm up against MAP23 "Elemental" which might be the worst level in the WAD, so for the moment I'm moving on to...

Continuing on in Valiant. I played Episode 1 last year, and am tackling Ep2 now. 3 maps in, and whew! it's demanding stuff, even on HMP! (I might drop back to HNTR for Ep3, we'll see.) Great stuff, though.

Need something a little lighter, so I'm tacking No End in Sight on UV. I played the first couple of maps previously on HMP, and man these are so much fun. Lots of heavy hitscanner and imp action so far, which I love.

Just finished to play Equinox and Epic. Equinox is cool but doing the pistol starts was an error, it ended on being tedious many times and it ruined a bit its atmosphere. Epic is rather awesome, though I wasn't really fond of MAP02. I started to play Epic 2, already beaten few levels and it seems quite nice so far.

Just finished the first episode of BTSX1 and started the first map of Episode 2. Great OST but rather repetitive gameplay and visuals. I've read part 2 has a more mixed reception and the gameplay is apparently more "dickish". Might be a good thing, who knows.

kuchitsu said:

After a few years I came back to Map05 of Cleimos 2, hoping that this time it will be a lot easier... Nope, still struggling to beat it. Very hardcore for 1995. Gonna give it another go right now.

Just started Cleimos 2, really impressed so far, very good (and hard) for such an early megawad. Cleimos 1 was also very good, and even made in the Doom 1.2 era.

Playing through Hellbound again and currently on map 04. It's a long-ass wad though. I must've clocked 20 hours during my first continuous run. Longer than AV which was like 16.

Bloodstain again, but this time UV-Max on all levels. I've done about half on Max, had one early level that wouldn't teleport in like 5 monsters. Fix that shit!

Working my way through Ancient Aliens for this month's DWMC currently.

Was thinking to either play DUMP 1/2 after that, or perhaps start preparations for Sunlust.

I've been playing Evilution recently, with no saves: means that if i die, i start level all over again with pistol only (i don't usually play like that). I've been playing it on HMP, but still died quite a lot of times and i even ragequited in Mill (map 18), after i nearly made it to the end of this massive map and got randomly hitscanned from 100 km away. I then beat Mill and made it to Central Processing (map 20) and then i just got completely lost on that map and just finally lost my patience..
Although i have to admit that i've made some progress: last time i played Evilution, i only made it to Crater (map 12) and got bored there.

ChekaAgent said:

i only made it to Crater (map 12) and got bored there.

I think Crater is one of the coolest looking IWAD maps. You're introduced to that awesome space sky texture and there's a huge outdoor rocky area to explore.

Yeah, when i replayed Evilution now, i really liked it. I don't know why i got bored when i played it back then..

Actually, thinking about it, when playing any 32-map wad, i usually start feeling bored around map 11-12. Same goes with Doom 2 - i usually stop playing as soon as i reach Factory. I think it's because by that point i just get tired..

Suitepee said:

Working my way through Ancient Aliens for this month's DWMC currently.

Was thinking to either play DUMP 1/2 after that, or perhaps start preparations for Sunlust.

You should play Community Chest 1. That will be fun to watch >:)

Just started playing Unloved. Color me impressed. I'm only 3 keys in ATM and I want to keep going! Such a cool atmosphere and the music is very moody. Can not recommend it enough.