What are you playing now?

4 hours ago, galileo31dos01 said:

tomorrow I'll start Da Will with glboom+. Tested the first map, a neat tougher Congo remake revisit from The Plutonia Experiment, hope to have fun with the rest. 

Da Will was a blast. And I loved Sacrament, the next WAD by the same crew.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
On 30/12/2017 at 3:02 AM, galileo31dos01 said:

tomorrow I'll start Da Will with glboom+. Tested the first map, a neat tougher Congo remake revisit from The Plutonia Experiment, hope to have fun with the rest. 

Da Will was pretty good overall, if you liked it I would recommend Sacrament if you haven't played it, imo it's better and with some stuff that is really worth to be seen.

I just replayed Jenesis, had a very good time revisiting it after years. I was a bit surprised that I still remember so well the music rather than the maps. MAP15 is rather memorable with its golden rivers, and MAP29 was my favourite with its cool creepy atmosphere.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, gaspe said:

Da Will was pretty good overall, if you liked it I would recommend Sacrament if you haven't played it, imo it's better and with some stuff that is really worth to be seen.

Sacrament's TITLEPIC caught my attention a while ago, the blue-black combination is awesome. Weird thing, everytime I search "da will" in the forum, it takes like 35 seconds to show the results. 

 

--------------------------------------------

 

I just thought about trying Epic 1 with glboom+, will probably start later instead of tomorrow (too much free time these, days). Also replaying Reverie again for the DWMC.

Edited by galileo31dos01

Posted (edited)

Share this post


Link to post

Just completed Doom 2 Reloaded! First mega wad I've seen through to the end in probably 6/7 years. Cracking map set, kept me interested to the end.

 

Going to play Reverie next.

Edited by Liberation
Next wad!
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Share this post


Link to post
On 30/12/2017 at 4:30 AM, Myst.Haruko said:

Just playing random maps from cd compilations like infamous D!zone or Maximum Doom, because I missed unrefined, quite naive design of those times when Doom and mapping was something new and exciting.

 

As a result of reading your post, I did some searching around and was surprised to find that Maximum Doom can still be located and downloaded as a complete package. I also discovered Demon Gate, another 1990s compilation of several hundred wads.

 

These provide a fascinating opportunity to study the early history of the game within the fan community. There are plenty of very accomplished wads here, and in particular I enjoyed a very large and complex one called Citadel Of Sorrow. Most of the stuff is of course very mediocre or downright inept. At one point I found myself playing Satan's Hell Hole (Cheese.wad), a sprawling, incoherent mixture of environments. 'Highlights' were red and blue colour-coded doors which needed no red or blue keys to open, a room with four teleporters where the player was just shunted around the room to no purpose and couldn't leave,  then a McDonald's restaurant with a Baron Of Hell in the ladies lavatory. Just when it seemed things couldn't get any worse, I fell into a pit of inescapable nukage (such as one often finds across the street from McDonald's). By this time I'd lost the will to live, and quit for the day....

 

 

 

Edited by Summer Deep
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Share this post


Link to post

@Liberation Doom II Reloaded is underrated, I too loved it. It's been 8-9 years since I've played it however.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

Been playing Memento Mori (the Doom 2 mod) these days. Holy shit looks like later levels feature slaughter-like maps from the Casali brothers. I didn't see that coming :v , but I'm glad I finished them, intense stuff and fun. I'll post a review when I'm done, it's going really slow for some reason.

Share this post


Link to post

I've just started the Confinement Community project, on HMP. Up to map 7. Pretty good so far! I've always enjoyed how the limitations of the confinement projects bring out the creativity in people. So far, Map 02 especially, by Dreadopp, has a brilliant sense of scale despite having the small play area.

Share this post


Link to post

@cyan0s1s Tis an awesome megawad, the first hell level I got to looked a bit boring and I nearly lost interest. However glad I didn't, some of the hell maps were probably the best maps in the set.

 

Got 6 maps into Reverie and I'm unsure atm, then started playing TNT and on map 14 so far.

 

Also playing a bit of Skynet atm as well.

Edited by Liberation

Posted (edited)

Share this post


Link to post

I just started play Valiant, because I've never played to be honest. I'm digging all those curves and aesthetics. 

Share this post


Link to post

Playing a little more of Requiem. I played it a lot today, this wad is sick.

Share this post


Link to post

Replaying Reverie (on UV for the first time) for the DWMC.

 

Also, last night I started in on 2002: A Doom Odyssey (Anniversary Edition), which is a lot of fun, but man. A lot of secrets seem to be of the unmarked wall-humping variety, most egregious thus far being the secret exit from E1M3, which I only found via IDDT.

Share this post


Link to post

From an artistical point of view I wouldnt call it "playing"  - but just some IdleGames left after I finally quitted playing Mush (MT) in 2-3 languages ....^

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Salt-Man Z said:

Replaying Reverie (on UV for the first time) for the DWMC.

 

 

 

Same here.

 

Share this post


Link to post

Playing through Vanguard on HMP, beaten about 6 levels so far. The level with 13 archviles was the only really difficult one.

Share this post


Link to post

LOL I've just finished !FUBAR2 on UV difficulty. It's a sprawling 1995 wad, not laid out very intuitively and for that reason progress is difficult, not to mention the hellishly tough combat in one or two areas. On my first attempted playthrough, the end screen came up immediately after the red key was picked up with 35 kills completed, but that was almost certainly a bug, as there are around 250 monsters in the map. My final total was 82% kills and 100% secrets.

 

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/d-f/fubar2

Share this post


Link to post

I'm playing Community Chest, currently on map 07, so far I've only liked maps 01 to 03, while maps 04 and 05 were ok and 06 was plain bad. Hopefully I can find more enjoyable levels.  

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, galileo31dos01 said:

I'm playing Community Chest, currently on map 07, so far I've only liked maps 01 to 03, while maps 04 and 05 were ok and 06 was plain bad. Hopefully I can find more enjoyable levels.  

Map 06 was really bad that's for sure, but if you thought map 06 was plain bad, just wait until you get to map 29.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Lingyan203 said:

Map 06 was really bad that's for sure, but if you thought map 06 was plain bad, just wait until you get to map 29.

Yeah, those two maps really drag down my overall enjoyment of the first Community Chest. When/If I ever play through it again I plan on using a gameplay mod that lets me map break because I can't be bothered to play those maps legitimately after the first time of suffering through them.

 

As for me, playing through TNT: Evilution (again), this time with the Doomzone mod as I plan on playing through the IWAD with all of the classes. I would have been done with my playthrough of the Support class sooner but my GZDoom upgrade from 3.2.4. to 3.2.5. fucked that up. Oh well. Got a better loadout as a result of that at least. :v

Share this post


Link to post

Finished TNT, rather a mixed bag. However some maps were truly awesome!

 

Not sure what to play next, might give Reverie another bash.

Share this post


Link to post

Playing Icarus for Doom 2. I really enjoy this so far, and definitely superior to Evilution, but we'll see the final verdict when all's done.

 

But what's with the overused level exits, 10 maps into it and always the same thing lol.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Agent6 said:

Playing Icarus for Doom 2. I really enjoy this so far, and definitely superior to Evilution, but we'll see the final verdict when all's done.

 

But what's with the overused level exits, 10 maps into it and always the same thing lol.

I like Icarus's level exit templates; they're kind of comforting in a way. I like how they tell you what's coming up next, story-wise: Teleporting down to a planet? Heading back up to the ship? Stepping into the simultaor? Also, in an era when signposting the exit wasn't always done, it's nice to have it made so clear. (Indeed, MAP25 starts out with the exit teleporter box right in front of you, but elevated so that you have to find your way to it.)

 

Once you're done, you can check out Eternal's ICAR2015, which is a fun 11-map love letter to the original.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

I decided to play through this year's Cacoaward winners, so I blew through lillith.pk3 and Shadows of the Nightmare Realm the other day. Two very great showcases of the (G)ZDoom engine, for two very different reasons. Next on the list is No End in Sight, which I started playing back in March, but had to put on hold and never got back to. I was really enjoying it during that playthrough, so I'm excited to give it another shot.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

Giving Winter's Fury a try, did the first four levels on 'Hypothermia' difficulty setting. On the evidence of the first two maps, I can see why some people rate this as among the very best modded Doom versions, if not the best. This is amazing stuff, graphically and gameplay wise.

 

My enthusiasm has cooled a little on playing the two subsequent levels. I really don't tend to enjoy old-fashioned boss battles which involve running around the perimeter of an arena-like space, pumping endless ammo into some monstrosity which looks as if it'll never die. That's what level three involves. When the annoying bastard was finally dispatched, LOL, level four consisted of running around another arena like a headless chicken while trying to deal with TWO of the exact same bastards. As John McEnroe once famously said. "You cannot be serious, man!". Well hopefully there'll be at least two or three decent maps now before another pile of nonsense is served up....

 

I was actually expecting a problem or two running this game - it seems to have a reputation for being quite demanding or fussy on some systems, but it's behaved perfectly (with GZDoom 3-2-0) on the setup I'm using, namely a laptop with i3 processor, 8GB RAM, and the much maligned Windows 8.1 OS. Not a hint of slowdown, freezing or stuttering so far.....

 

Edited by Summer Deep
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

After tackling the first Community Chest project, I just downloaded Operation BIOWAR to play with crispy. The first map looked so familiar and, well it didn't take too long for me to realize that it was the original map that Operation NOOB copy-pasted. Did well on removing that thing from my wads' folder...  

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

Just finished powering through plutonia for the first time in well over a decade, felt good! Some of the level designs are fantastic. I've played 3 megawads in about 3 months, which is more than I have played in a very long time. 

Share this post


Link to post

If you haven't yet played the Kill 'em with Kindness mod, then you really should do that. It's kind of wonderful. Just wish there was more of it. 

Share this post


Link to post
On 12-1-2018 at 4:57 AM, Summer Deep said:

Giving Winter's Fury a try, did the first four levels on 'Hypothermia' difficulty setting. On the evidence of the first two maps, I can see why some people rate this as among the very best modded Doom versions, if not the best. This is amazing stuff, graphically and gameplay wise.

 

My enthusiasm has cooled a little on playing the two subsequent levels. I really don't tend to enjoy old-fashioned boss battles which involve running around the perimeter of an arena-like space, pumping endless ammo into some monstrosity which looks as if it'll never die. That's what level three involves. When the annoying bastard was finally dispatched, LOL, level four consisted of running around another arena like a headless chicken while trying to deal with TWO of the exact same bastards. As John McEnroe once famously said. "You cannot be serious, man!". Well hopefully there'll be at least two or three decent maps now before another pile of nonsense is served up....

 

I was actually expecting a problem or two running this game - it seems to have a reputation for being quite demanding or fussy on some systems, but it's behaved perfectly (with GZDoom 3-2-0) on the setup I'm using, namely a laptop with i3 processor, 8GB RAM, and the much maligned Windows 8.1 OS. Not a hint of slowdown, freezing or stuttering so far.....

 

I agree. I don't like Winter's fury for the same reasons

Share this post


Link to post

I was long overdue with playing "Doom the way ID Did", finished it and it was excellent and then i began playing D2TWID.

Share this post


Link to post

Memento Mori.  I remember now why I never finished it before, always got stuck on that damn MAP04.  Ended up looking up a walkthrough this time.  I guess the idea of a map that plays differently in co-op than in single is kind of cool but I can't help but feel like there had to be a better way to implement it than mandatory secret hunting for a back route if you're alone.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now