Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cyberbaron2

Zdaemon: Busted yet again!

As if it is not bad enough that Zdaemon is encouraging its users to pirate commercial Iwads with their illegal ****** utility Zdaemon has shown once again that they have absolutely no respect towards anyone's intellectual property rights.

The file http://downloads.zdaemon.org/wads/zdtdm2011a.zip is an illegal compilation wad that willfully violates the rights' of the original wads authors. Of course this should come as no surprise to anyone because the Zdaemon team has allowed servers to host other illegal wads such as zddl3.1.wad, idl2011.wad, and dmpack.wad for years now. Looks like they've been busted yet again. How sad and pathetic is this?

don't forget dwango5! zdaemon is the only port hosting this criminal compilation of stolen maps!

Getwad isn't illegal. It's just a file transfer tool. People have been upset because they wanted it to contain some DRM-like system to filter out the files it attempts to transfer so as to avoid transferring files that are known to be not allowed for free distribution, and its developer stubbornly refused.

Also, who cares?

As a final note, I appreciate how the only way to verify your claims is to download the file to see its content. Good thing you've provided us with the link and piqued our curiosity. Is this a reverse-psychology advertising campaign?

Hello, this is the author of the aforementioned zddl.wad. Your claim that I have willfully violated the "copyright" of map authors is complete bs. For one, almost all of the maps included are pre 1998 and the authors have been absent from the doom community for more than a decade now. How the hell am I supposed to get in contact with them to ask if they care if I use there map in a compilation wad? Am I supposed to hire some private investigator to track them down? If you have some idea, please let me know, I'd love to hear it.

And also, why the fuck do you give a shit anyways? I wasn't aware that you made any of these maps in the first place. Are you the copyright police or something? I would gladly remove a map from ZDDL if the original author contacted me and complained about it, however I refuse to do so because some dumbass who's intent is to ruin the fun for everyone says I should. (Btw I actually have had a few other e-lawyers try and bust my balls over ZDDL, you aren't the first.)

Another point to bring up is that no one, and I mean no one is being hurt financially by ZDDL or any other compilation wad that you mentioned. As far as I know no one has ever been paid or collected royalties for a doom map that they have made other than TNT.wad and PLUTONIA.wad, it's not like I'm depriving the judas author of money or something like that.

And as pointed out by Dew, compilation maps are nothing new. They have been popular since the beginning. If you're going to attack me for having an "illegal" compilation, then you better see it so that all the dwango wads are removed too. You can't simply pick and choose which ones are illegal and which ones aren't.

One last point I'll make, if anything compilation wads benefit the original map authors. If it wasn't for dwango5, ssmap01.wad would have become completely obscure. Thanks to Aikman, that map has become legandary within the doom community, even the original authors acknowledge this: http://d5m1.com/ .

I will acknowledge one thing though, the zddl.txt file that has the list of the original wads is missing from some if not all of the downloads. I am not sure what exactly happened to it as I included it with the wad when I first made it, but I promise that it will be included with the next revision of the wad.

tl;dr version:

Please shut the fuck up and go and shoot yourself. kthxbai

Any source port can host a server with a compilation wad. Maybe we should just ban all ports. All port authors are clearly encouraging people to host illegal wads!!!111one.

Oh hush. There are plenty of good reasons to dislike ZDaemon, things like this just hurt your credibility.

Please explain to the class how compilation wads are illegal. Keep in mind that I myself am the author of a compilation wad for Skulltag (DUEL32) so if they're illegal, so is my pack.

DooMAD said:

Any source port can host a server with a compilation wad. Maybe we should just ban all ports. All port authors are clearly encouraging people to host illegal wads!!!111one.

You forgot many comp wads are vanilla or semi-vanilla compatible. Ban doom2.exe!

Oh thanks for the heads up. I'll definitely delete all those compilation wads and stick to my precious map01 and judas23.

And once again, Cyberbaron2 makes a topic ONLY for the purpose of bashing ZDaemon, regardless of motive.

* Copyright / Permissions *

Authors MAY NOT use this level as a base to build additional levels,
concatenations, or otherwise.

You MAY distribute this PWAD, provided you include this file, with
no modifications. You may distribute this file in any electronic
format (BBS, Diskette, CD, etc) as long as you include this file
intact.

This is what is written in the original judas23.txt. Compilation wads are clearly violating the copyright and as such are illegal. Zdaemon is encouraging this illegal activity by hosting servers with these wads and by having compilation wads available for download. I was not aware that Skulltag was doing this too but they should also remove such wads from their servers. I will talk to Torr about this.

Newsflash: Doombuilder allows using DOOM1.WAD as an IWAD and prBoom and prBoom+ (and ZDoom and ZDoomGL) allow playing PWAD with the shareware IWAD!!11!! BAN THEM!111!!!

Madgunner including a textfile that lists the original wads and authors in the next version of zddl is not acceptable. You must either get the original authors' permission or remove the maps completely, otherwise you are violating copyright law. Difficulty in contacting the owner is not an acceptable excuse for violating copyright law.

Until you can prove to me that you are an author of one of the maps included in ZDDL, I refuse to remove anything. If it truly bothers you that much, then sue me in civil court.

Sincerely, I think that map author attribution for PWADs falls neatly into this category. Sure, there are a few "dogooders" here and there, but for all effects and purposes. it's just what I said.

So let's say he violates "copyright law" (Seriously? Registered with which authority? Where are the royalties collectors? Where are the multi-$$$$$ lawsuits up the ass?) This is a VERY lax and loose use of the word "copyright". Hell, I even placed it in my first BASIC programs when I was 6 yo, but I did only because it was cool 'n trendy 'n stuff, not because I dreamt of one day striking it rich by suing someone or gather some butthurt attention.

Btw admins, why isn't this dumbass banned yet? All of his pointless threads are clearly intended on doing little more than bashing Zdaemon.

Madgunner, if you would bother to read you would notice that I even acknowledged that Skulltag may be at fault too. I also happen to know the author of judas23 and he is not happy at all with you using his wad in that compilation. You should have sought his permission before doing such a thing.

Oh shit, well I better delete it then...

LMAO, do you honestly think I'm that gullible? I highly doubt this claim you just made, but in any case, have him contact me and I'll gladly remove it; until then, it's staying in.

Btw, I figure you should also know that I'm the original author of D5M7, I made it when I was four years old using my Fisher-Price computer.

This kind of thing should be restricted to private messages, emails, etc. These let's-start-a-witch-hunt threads are not appropriate for the source ports forum.