Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gun_psycho

Scoredoom: Dark Juggernaut

Does anyone even use the Dark Juggernaut? (the dark servant artifact from Hexen) If I recall correctly, it seems to want to attack enemies when I want it to half the time, and the other half it just wanders around and does nothing. In short, I believe it's rather useless compared to the Sentinel. (deployable turret)

Btw, the only real use I have for this thing is for distracting bigger enemies. Nothing else, really. (I know the summoned Maulotaurs in Scoredoom don't damage you with their attacks, but still)

gun_psycho said:

Does anyone even use the Dark Juggernaut? (the dark servant artifact from Hexen) If I recall correctly, it seems to want to attack enemies when I want it to half the time, and the other half it just wanders around and does nothing. In short, I believe it's rather useless compared to the Sentinel. (deployable turret)

Btw, the only real use I have for this thing is for distracting bigger enemies. Nothing else, really. (I know the summoned Maulotaurs in Scoredoom don't damage you with their attacks, but still)

It is essentially the http://zdoom.org/wiki/Classes:MinotaurFriend
Now that you mention its behaviour, I see it has NOTARGETSWITCH
set. This is possibly why it may appear to wander when it targets distant enemies. The wiki say "A monster with this flag never switches its target unless its current target is dead. ", so I would need to take a look at the source code to find out exactly how this affects its AI, like when it feels pain etc... I'm presuming once it targets it never lets go. Surprised it has this flag really.

The hi-score server's not working... again. Aside from that, I'll look forward to how you'll fix the minotaur thing.

Edit: On another note, is there any way to allow Scoredoom to change at least the "secret found" sound without having to get locked out of the main online high-scores?

gun_psycho said:

The hi-score server's not working... again. Aside from that, I'll look forward to how you'll fix the minotaur thing.

Edit: On another note, is there any way to allow Scoredoom to change at least the "secret found" sound without having to get locked out of the main online high-scores?

Like I mentioned, I will probably update the add-on pack support after the realm667 be(a)stiary competition this year. I will only add anything that is truly cool or original, rather than slight variations on whats already been done. Then I will add fixes for the minotaur and others.
I know what you mean about the minotaur, I buffed up it's speed to make it more aggressive, while not realizing it had that base flag.

SD is a bit OTT with restricting what can be changed, especially after a game is started. I'm presuming you are using a sound file replacement, loaded as a lmp file in the command line, or from the skins dir for example?
Hmmmn, unfortunately this would be included in any md5 calculations for the hi score server, so it would not recognize it as a valid wad/file config. This is needed to stop cheating.

BilboHicks said:

Surprised it has this flag really.

Hexen had it like this - and if I remember correctly this is even mentioned in Hexen's manual that the Dark Servant has some limitations and is not particularly smart.

@Graf Zahl - Figures, though in Hexen I mainly used it in certain tough spots anyway.

@BilboHicks - The Dark Inquisitor may look like a palette swap of the Inquisitor enemies (which are already a real pain in the ass), the former is actually a pretty deadly boss. It also flies when it gets below a certain level of health. The Gatekeeper you should also check out at least.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I meant changing the "secret found" soundfile by replacing the existent one (which I'm getting a little tired of hearing of, quite frankly) with the one from Painkiller.

Graf Zahl said:

Hexen had it like this - and if I remember correctly this is even mentioned in Hexen's manual that the Dark Servant has some limitations and is not particularly smart.

Thanks. I figured it was because that's how Hexen had it.

@gun_psycho: yes, any file change will screw up the md5 calculation.
I will check out the gatekeeper.

Oh, ok...

By the way, you should also check out the newly-released Devastator Zombie as well. If you plan on making this guy a chaingunner-class enemy, he should be suitably rare due to how powerful the weapon of the same name is.