Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alphawolf

Any Zdoom equivalent for Duke 3D

I don't want to piss and moan in a thread unsuitable for pissing and moaning about such stuff, but while we're talking about source ports who is it that honestly thinks that those low res 3D models look better than the original sprites? :/

DoomUK said:

http://static.jonof.id.au/modsuppt/jfduke3d/shot_new.png

I don't want to piss and moan in a thread unsuitable for pissing and moaning about such stuff, but while we're talking about source ports who is it that honestly thinks that those low res 3D models look better than the original sprites? :/

I think you're looking at the wrong screenshots.
http://hrp.duke4.net/media.php

Marcaek said:

The enemy models are poor, but some of the weapon models are great.

This is my opinion on the matter. I really don't care much for the shotgun and pistol, and the kick looks weird, but the rest of the weapon models are pretty good.

but yeah, enemy models are pretty poor.

I'm probably the only one who doesn't like the Duke3D HRP these days. I don't know why, but everything feels very underdetailed, despite the great things Polymer can do. meh.

Marcaek said:

I still prefer sprites, same way I feel about Doom. It just feels right.

To me, every 2.5D game feels like that. Better without mouseaim and models, the way it was meant to be...

Yeah, I don't really get why people want to relive an old game by replacing all the professionally made textures/sprites with amateur remakes... I agree that super high-res textures with old-school level architecture just makes the whole thing feel very empty and barren, like a late 90's Quake 2 rip-off.

Some people genuinely think that 'more is better'. How else could anyone explain that abomination otherwise known as the JDTP...?

The HRP with all the models and replacement textures is controversial, within the Duke 3D community as well. It gets a lot of different reactions, ranging from hate to love. It has gotten a lot better since the debut of Polymer, the new renderer that has dynamic lighting and supports normal mapping etc. However, the performance of that renderer is still quite poor, in terms of frame rate. EDIT: I should point out that Polymer is not the default renderer, so don't worry about frame rate unless you plan to use it.

But in my opinion the greatest thing about EDuke32 is the scripting system. I have been modding with it like crazy for almost five years now, and it's possible to do just about anything I want to do (within the engine limits).

cbronson said:

To me, every 2.5D game feels like that. Better without mouseaim and models, the way it was meant to be...

Technically, mouse aim was part of most 2.5D shooters; it was just horizontal-only for most. Duke 3D natively supported vertical look as well. The models would work much better if the AI was redone. The main problem I have with model packs is the AI of these games is simplistic enough that the movements just look awkward and stupid when a 3D medium is used to show them than the sprites.

Xeros612 said:

Technically, mouse aim was part of most 2.5D shooters; it was just horizontal-only for most. Duke 3D natively supported vertical look as well. The models would work much better if the AI was redone. The main problem I have with model packs is the AI of these games is simplistic enough that the movements just look awkward and stupid when a 3D medium is used to show them than the sprites.

I have done a lot of work on the AI myself (e.g. the advanced AI option in DukePlus), but there's only so much you can do if a model only has animations corresponding to the original sprite animations. In some cases it's just walk, shoot, and die. No running, no idle animations, no gestures, etc. I can't even make them move and shoot at the same time. On those rare occasions when I've been able to work with a model that had a good set of animations (none of the Duke monster models, unfortunately) it has been a liberating experience.

cbronson said:

the way it was meant to be...

[can of worms] Meant to be or simply restricted by technology to be? ;) [/can of worms]