Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Walter confetti

Petersen Station: A classic Doom ID style map

Hello to all.
This is a level for ultimate doom called "petersen station", as i said on the "Doom: The Way ID Did" project thread, due to incompatibility with the original project guidelines, i've decided to upload it as a standalone map, but before release it officially on /idgames, i'll post here in the forums.

DOWNLOAD:

level is e2m9, from the map posted in the the hellbent project, i deleted the new textures from its texture pack and also changed few things here and there... feedback is highly appreciated!

EDIT: Uploaded new version of this map in /idgames...
in the meanwhile, i added also a temporary DL link in the last post...

Incompatible? Who was the nut that told you that?

I just played your map and I think it is the most authentic map that's been submitted! It could use a bit more monsters however.

Strange map! No wonder why it is M9. :)
I agree with Marnetmar about monsters count. And what with that hanging body in the sky?

And the boxes in the first room are misaligned. Looks ugly.

I really can't see why you think it incompatible, it seems like a fine old Id-style map to me. I enjoyed it, although I agree with Marnetmar, it definitely needs more monsters.

Not a bad map, but homage-ry everywhere.

Besides that, the caco trap near the key should activate a bit farther up the stairs.

Memfis said:

And what with that hanging body in the sky?

Actually, there's something similar in original e2m7...
but if you don't like it i'll delete it...

Ah, I knew that it was intentional! Then I think it's okay, especially for a secret level.

but homage-ry everywhere

Again, this is something you can expect from M9.

walter confalonieri said:

Actually, there's something similar in original e2m7...
but if you don't like it i'll delete it...

Don't do that. The floating body in E2M7 was trippy and I always thought it was cool. :)

Memfis said:

Again, this is something you can expect from M9.

We're mapping as if we were the designers at Id, not as a tribute to their maps.

Marcaek said:

We're mapping as if we were the designers at Id, not as a tribute to their maps.

And that's the reason why this map is uploaded as a standalone project.

Really nice map Walter of what I saw of it. I actually quit pretty early on because I'd like to play it with more monsters! Will you release a version with more? To the others... Walter is right, if he had posted this in the dtwid thread there would have been lots of rolling eyes and grumbles that the map has too many homages. That doesn't mean it's not a good map or enjoyable, or that it couldn't have been tweaked to fix the homages, but as is, it's not appropriate for the project.

What's everybody talking about here? The only area I thought was homage-y was the start room (very E2M4-ish), and otherwise I thought it looked very authentic and was looking forward to the next revision (with more enemies, I'd presumed). Why the sudden negativity all around?

In particular, there's a row of circular blue flats that reminds of E2M2, and an area quite similiar to the halls from E2M6, including a swtich-activated GRAYDANG door.

just got done playing the level i enjoyed it a lot, very authentic but i'm with the others when i say it could use more monster, maybe around 50-60 total IMO. Like near the end that secret with the bullet box, i expected a group of imp attacking me but there was only two.

This aside i hope a revision is on the way with more monsters.

I'll be able to check it out later - but I have a proposition for you that should be interesting!

I made a levelpack for GZdoom called Deepest Evil, it's currently complete with 6 levels but not yet added to IDgames. Despite this, it tries to emulate a DooM 1 style of play while invoking some use of slopes and 3D floors.

Long story short - any good levels from DooM the way ID Did that don't make the cut in that project are more than welcome here!