Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Megamur

DOOM II at the Smithsonian?

If it gets enough votes, it will be. The Smithsonian American Art Museum is going to be holding an Art of Video Games exhibit, and is conducting an online poll to decide which games will be shown.

Go here and register an account, and then select ERA 4. Then you can vote for DOOM II in the PC - Action genre...or I guess you can vote for Unreal or Deus Ex if you're a weirdo like that.

I think a better exhibit would be "The Art of Doom 2 Pwads" and make it interactive so people can play the thousands of maps on the net. Let's be honest here, Doom 2 has great gameplay, but... the art is lacking, by today's ultra hi-res standards anyway.

I don't believe games are art. That being said, Deus Ex is much closer to what I'd perceive as "videogame art". I voted for it instead.

Shame on you guys. Deus Ex (moar like gays ex amirite?) has tons of fans to vote for it anyway and yet people from Doom forums choose it over Doom.

Orchid87 said:

Shame on you guys. Deus Ex (moar like gays ex amirite?) has tons of fans to vote for it anyway and yet people from Doom forums choose it over Doom.

...because I'm not a blind fanboy? Deus Ex did storytelling and immersion 1000x better than Doom did, even if I like Doom better. The two titles have different strengths, and Deus Ex's strengths make it a better candidate.

Oh wait. I forgot that I'm on a Doom forum. I must blindly say Doom is the greatest at everything without variation, for my forum cred will implode otherwise.

DuckReconMajor said:

I don't believe in art.

That's a bit of an odd statement to make. :S If you ask me, that's a bit like saying "I don't believe in cooking".

DuckReconMajor said:

I voted for Doom 2 because I like it.

This is fine. :P

Orchid87 said:

I voted for Doom 2, I was just having a bit of fun saying I voted for Deus X instead. I never even played it.

I voted for Doom 2... And like, 10 other games. Am I crazy or did I get 80 votes? Sheez.

Mr. Freeze said:

Oh wait. I forgot that I'm on a Doom forum. I must blindly say Doom is the greatest at everything without variation, for my forum cred will implode otherwise.

What cred?

Vaporizer said:

I voted for DX and made my friend vote for D2, happy now guys?

It wasn't that we were unhappy so much as we want you to get off this forum. Have your friend register to doomworld and resume posting where you left off.

Mr. Freeze said:

Forum cred? All you do is whine. Work on that.

Mr. Freeze said:

Oh wait. I forgot that I'm on a Doom forum. I must blindly say Doom is the greatest at everything without variation...

Who cares if this is a DOOM forum? DOOM is the greatest at everything no matter where you're posting. That's just common sense.

My thoughts:

Doom 2 < Deus Ex < Doom 2 + PWADS.

If the third option was on the list, I'd vote for it in a heartbeat. :P

Technician said:

Pay no attention, he's just in his rebellious phase. He'll grow out of it.

You first, sweetie :3

Mr. Freeze said:

I don't believe games are art.

You're joking, right? Do you think Movies and Theatre aren't art, either? My god.

Voted for Doom 2 out of spite.

Games can include art. What you do with the game can be art. But once you introduce interactivity into something, as a whole it ceases to be art IMO.

Edit: Hmm. I'm not sure anymore. Just pass over this post, I'll work it out some day :)

From Wikipedia:

"Art is the product or process of deliberately arranging items (often with symbolic significance) in a way that influences and affects one or more of the senses, emotions, and intellect."

Can a car be a work of art? sure it can. Can it still be a work of art and be driveable? Sure! I'm interacting with said car, is it still a work of art?

Yes!

You cannot tell me audiovisual experiences of today, interactive or no, is not "art". Interactive art is all over the place in modern museums, and they are just as much art as anything else hanging on the wall.

Edit: this is more for Mr. Freeze than you, in retrospect. :3