Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NiuHaka

What are your favorite Doom I & II iwad Textures/Flats?

I am interested in knowing what your favorite Doom & Doom II textures and flats are. By "your favorite" I mean any texture/flat that you use a lot in your maps, love to see used in maps or just plain like to look at.

I'm also interested in any textures/flats that you just hate.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
The Ascension Team is creating a priority list of textures to finish. For anyone who is interested you can find more information about the Ascension Project here--> http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/54379-doom-ascension-mod-recruitment-announcements-image-heavy/
---------------------------------------------------------------------

I have always loved the STAR group of textures (i.e., STARTAN3), the BROWN group of textures (i.e., BROWN96) and the floor NUKAGE. It is probably because of some sense of nostalgia from the days of playing the shareware Doom over and over again.

As for textures that I hate; ROCK4, ROCK5, SFALL & BFALL. The first two i mentioned look like they are from Wolfenstein and the last two just... well... I can't quite say why. I just don't like them. These textures are definitely going to be given some heavy improvements.

It's funny because I've been using Quake textures and flats heavily this past while but it's no denying Doom had the more interesting art styles.

The Hell textures really stand out because until that point no one has pointed hell out to be a strange organic place.

I always found that cyber punk skull switch to be very out of place even for Doom.

The ones that stand out for me are the TEKWALL series, COMPBLUE, and the STAR* series. Those are probably my all time favorites but Doom has really great textures in general. Working with just stock textures for the past year has been a really enjoyable experience and it really makes you appreciate all the art assets that much more.

TEKGREN2-5, FIREBLU1, WOODMET, METAL2, FLAT5_3, and CEIL5_2 are some of my favorites.

I hate WOODVERT, STEP3, BIGBRIK1-3, and BRICK11-12.

I use CEIL5_1 way more than I should, and FLAT23 (and by extension, SHAWN2) see a lot of action. I seem to be very fond of flat, plain textures.

STAR* series, TEK* series, BRICK* series, STONE* series and the MARB* series.

Megamur said:

Well, I do mostly vanilla/Boom mapping, so that's usually not an option for me.

C'mon, man, take a walk on the wild side.

Favorites of mine are ASHWALL (Doom), ZIMMER2, BRICK7, MODWALL1, METAL, BROWN96, COMPBLUE, LITE5, GRAY5, and DOOR1, in no particular order. For flats, FLOOR6_2, GRASS2, FLAT14, FLAT19, CEIL5_1, CEIL5_2, ROCK09, and FWATERX.

Ones I abhor: SKINLOW, ROCK4, SP_DUDE1, SP_DUDE2, SP_DUDE4, and SP_DUDE5 (because I think those marines don't really fit in with the Doom art style. I don't use the corresponding hanging corpses either.)

Flats for which I can never find a purpose: CEIL3_1, CEIL3_2, COMP01, FLOOR4_1, and FLOOR4_5.

Nobody has ever done a full blown hi-res version of the Icon of Sin textures as far as I am aware, only filtered upscales. I suppose because it's both a detailed and iconic texture (pun coincidental).

Similarly, nobody has ever done most of the Final Doom specific textures.

But personally, I would consider that since your making the Doom 1 monsters first and seemingly in the order they first appear, that one could do the hi-res textures in a similar way; start with the textures that first appear on E1M1, then E1M2 etc.

Mechadon said:

The ones that stand out for me are the TEKWALL series, COMPBLUE, and the STAR* series. Those are probably my all time favorites but Doom has really great textures in general. Working with just stock textures for the past year has been a really enjoyable experience and it really makes you appreciate all the art assets that much more.

Yeah, I have to agree with you here. I've just recently got into the mapping game myself and (up until just recently) had only been working with the stock textures. You definitely can do some nice little detailing tricks with just those and some creative linedef/sector usage.

METAL, the SLAD series, STONE2 and 3 and BROWN1 are ones I like. BROWN96 and BROWNGRN aren't bad either. SP_ROCK1 is my favourite "organic" texture.

My favourite flat to use is definitely NUKAGE1 though.

Technician said:

Does anyone else here use flats as textures and textures as flats? Or am I a minority?

I've done it a couple times recently in my current map that I'm working on - I made a "shattered" door with chunks of it laying on the ground in front of the opening where it used to be and textured the tops of the chunks with the SPACEDOOR1 texture, as if the door got blasted open by hellspawn or destroyed during a firefight. I've grown enamored of adding little details like that to give my levels a more..."lived in" (died in?) feel, for lack of a better expression.

Also used the SHAWN1 texture for the tops of some "pipes" I made for an area a little later in the level and used another wall texture I imported for some chunks of a "broken" section of wall in an underground area.

It really seems to depend on the texture and what you're using it for since you can't just slap any old texture on a flat surface and have it look right, of course. I'd love to be able to align flats (or textures used as flats) the same way you can with textures.

Technician said:

C'mon, man, take a walk on the wild side.

Just seems like a waste to do ZDoom maps without doing any of that fancy scripting crap, and I've found ZDoom scripting effects to be so poorly documented that it's very hard for me to learn.

ASHWALL
GSTONE
METAL1
STONE3/2
STONE
FIREWALL
TEKWALL1
SPDUDE_6
LITEMET AND all the lite-patched textures that were removed in doom2.wad (grrr)
SHAWN1
COMPUTE2
COMPTILE
STONEGARG
BIGDOOR7
MARBFAC3
BROWNGRN

FLOOR7_1 the smooth dirt/mud floor texture
CEIL3_5 the soft gray brick texture
E1 SKY

Technician said:

Does anyone else here use flats as textures and textures as flats? Or am I a minority?

Sometimes I do so. Simply inspired by the dilemma "there aren't any textures which I can edge this lower texture harmonically", so, it's a primitive, but sometimes too desirable solution.

My fave flats are all FLAT5_'s, DEM1_1-4, DEM1_6, FLOOR4_8 and the carpet-like flats.
Favourite textures: TEKWALL*, STAR*, WOOD*, MARBLE*, METAL* including SUPPORT3 and COMPTILE.

Megamur said:

Just seems like a waste to do ZDoom maps without doing any of that fancy scripting crap, and I've found ZDoom scripting effects to be so poorly documented that it's very hard for me to learn.

Other ports also support texture/flat mixing.

Textures: FIREBLU1-4, ZIMMERs, SHAWNs, BFALL1-4, SFALL1-4, BIGDOORs and the most loved: MARBLEs

Flats: LAVA1-4, NUKAGE1-4, FWATER1-4, FSKY, FLOOR7_2, DEMIs.

All the comp and blue-tech stuff.

Megamur said:

Just seems like a waste to do ZDoom maps without doing any of that fancy scripting crap

You don't have to, the simplest thing to do with scripts is to have 2 or more line specials happen at once. Add equally simple stuff like slopes, mixed textures/flats, thing-activated scripts/specials, spawn traps etc. and you're well on the way without being complicated.

NiuHaka said:

ROCK4, ROCK5... look like they are from Wolfenstein

I think those textures actually are from Wolfenstein.

My favorite flat is MFLR8_4, the grey windblown sand. Favorite textures are probably BROVINE, GRAYVINE, anything else with vines. I've also always liked SW1GARG as a wall decoration rather than as a switch.

The Ultimate DooMer said:

All the comp and blue-tech stuff.

You don't have to, the simplest thing to do with scripts is to have 2 or more line specials happen at once. Add equally simple stuff like slopes, mixed textures/flats, thing-activated scripts/specials, spawn traps etc. and you're well on the way without being complicated.

On that note: Is there a good resource for learning basic scripting with ZDoom (that isn't the ZDoom wiki)?

I've spent enough time puzzling over the wiki trying to figure out some of the UDMF features in Doom Builder that I'd love to find a good reference that actually explains stuff.

EarthQuake said:

Hopefully this stuff is actually up-to-date with the current build. That's kind of what I meant: ZDoom tweaks stuff so often that a lot of the script tutorials I find are done in old formats.

The Ultimate DooMer said:

Aren't those "Doom in Hexen format" effects? I've never really seen any thorough documentation for how to work Hexen editing either.