Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NightmareZer0

Like Playing Games At Night? Don't Move To Vietnam

Reminds me of the Greek video game "ban" of 2002, the infamous Law 3037/2002.

On its heyday, it hurt some businesses pretty badly: the police just raided shops and literally smashed equipment like gang of hooligans, not how you'd expect an official arrest/confiscation to be conducted, thus the chances of owner ever being refunded were pretty slim. Some were hurt badly, some -presumably with better connections- walked away unscathed from this charade.

In retrospect, seeing how it selectively struck some and not others, make it appear more like a politically motivated law which benefited some of the major players in the field. E.g. it didn't affect major Internet Cafe chains. Seeing how it's very common for competing arcade rooms/internet cafes but even night clubs to rat each other out on premises of e.g. copyright infringement, not using genuine software, not paying royalties for in-shop music etc., that law was some do-gooder's deed turned sour. Even bitter.

I'm sure that somewhere, somehow, there must be a similar reason behind Vietnam's decision.

The way I see it, imposing a nighttime limit will just make people play more during the day. I'm sure that won't hurt productivity at all.

I don't see a huge problem with this law to be honest, but maybe that's because I don't really do online gaming, and playing single player or splitscreen late at night tends to do for me. I'd maybe change 10 to 12, just to make it a bit easier for people to adapt to.

Xaser said:

The way I see it, imposing a nighttime limit will just make people play more during the day. I'm sure that won't hurt productivity at all.

Seriously...if someone wants to stay up all night to play, whatever, but if they're fiending at work then someone might have a problem with that :P

Memfis said:

This is bullshit. People should have the right to ruin their lives.

Yes, but they don't have the right to ruin other people's life (family, colleagues, etc...)

I wonder when they're going to extend this to watching movies or browsing the internet or anything at night. Games aren't the only things people stay up late for.

Also, ruin other peoples' lives? What, are they running on 15 minutes of sleep and dozing off during the day? Come on. Hell, coffee exists for a reason.

Of course this doesn't stop anyone from staying up all night mapping for Doom

Xeros612 said:

Games aren't the only things people stay up late for.

ohhhhhhhhhh yeaaaaaaah

magicsofa said:

ohhhhhhhhhh yeaaaaaaah

Yeah, I stay up late at night to drink Kool-Aid too.

Phobus said:

I don't see a huge problem with this law to be honest, but maybe that's because I don't really do online gaming, and playing single player or splitscreen late at night tends to do for me. I'd maybe change 10 to 12, just to make it a bit easier for people to adapt to.

You don't see a huge problem with a law restricting people's freedoms for either social engineering or political gains, as Maes suggests? This is one of those laws that would still be wrong if the people voted for it unanimously.

If you read the article correctly, I think this only applies to online games like WoW, and such.

I think it wouldn't affect people playing single player Doom since they wouldn't know they would be playing it.

Yes, it's similar to the law(s) China has regarding online games. China's system is more complex, with rules dictating things like degraded gameplay after a certain amount of time.