Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sergeant_Mark_IV

Brutal Doom version 18a

xvertigox said:

I'm really enjoying this wad but I have an issue, I find some of the colors to be messed up/too dark. At the moment it's unplayable due to this bug ;< Here's a screenshot to illustrate: http://iforce.co.nz/i/hhwbzbis.q5v.png

If somebody could help me resolve this I'd be very grateful.

Try using OpenGL mode.

Used a couple cheats partway through to get all the weapons and test the fatalities for the purpose of the video, but meh.

I have found a nasty unbalancing with the knight and baron's execution melee attack, it can kill the boss monsters instantly as well.

So far I'm really liking this. I did find a bug in the GZDoom version, though: I can kill Cacodemons by crouching and walking under them. (Actually, I might have killed one without crouching, but I can't be sure.) It made the Caco ambush in TNT Map31 significantly easier to deal with. :P Anyway, I thought I'd bring it to your attention in case it hasn't already been.

EDIT: Just gave it another test. I don't even need to crouch - I just have to walk under a Cacodemon and it dies.

This looks really amazing!

Still... I think you gotta make some of the enemies invulnerable to their own projectiles (e.g. Mancubi and Cyberdemon). Also I personally have always thought that when particle fire is used for Lost Souls along with their own sprite fire, it looks really... strange at least. I think you should use a 'clean' version of Lost Soul sprite without fire for it. Also I don't see me credited, and some of the stuff is surely from my BD :) like torches for example.

Apart from that there are some things that I'd like to see made differently, but that's just personal preference, and everything is executed amazingly anyway.

What about something separate for those not wanting ambient sound for torches? This could get particularly annoying with PWADs containing rows of torches, with the noise accumulating which might be possible in some of the Sunder maps.

I've been playing with this a lot, but what's the difference between the kick and the fists?

Processingcontrol said:

I've been playing with this a lot, but what's the difference between the kick and the fists?

There's a kick? Alt-fire just does a slower, non-fatality berserk punch for me.

Also SgMk4, the demon's arm gib has a tendency to spin in place after a while while on the ground.

Mr. Chris said:

There's a kick? Alt-fire just does a slower, non-fatality berserk punch for me.

The kick is assigned to the Q key by default.

RTC_Marine said:

Cool!

I just wish I could download it, it says the file links are invalid :(

Links appear to work for me...dunno what is wrong on your end..

Also Mark IV, Barons and Knights seem to go into pain state when using their fireball attack..not sure if it's hurting them or not.

For those having issues downloading from 4shared, try these two links as I've uploaded 0.8 to Mediafire:

Skulltag version
GZDoom version

killer2 said:

Some enemies seem to be dropping berserk packs.Is this normal?

I'm guessing it is to help to make up for the increased aggression of the monsters.

Mr. Chris said:

I'm guessing it is to help to make up for the increased aggression of the monsters.

This is the reason why I like having enemies of the same type (such as Mancubi) be able to kill each other as well.

Zombies when at a 32 unit height "fence" and they shoot, they occasionally hurt themselves from the ricochet. Oblige's generated levels generally have windows and fences at this height and it gives them a slight disadvantage when trying to shoot the player if they're roaming right against it.

Here is the first 0.9 pre-release beta test. It fixes all grevious bugs from 0.8 (Ammo boxes that doesn't adds bullets, HKs and BoHs insta-killing Cybers and Spiders, massive infight with Fatsos and Arachnotrons, etc.)

There are also some new features, now if you attack an enemy with the chainsaw, its gonna get with blood on it, dismemberments have reduced chance to happen, you can attack enemy corpses (and dismember them too), for those who doesn't likes the fatalities, it can be enabled/disabled via a key binding, you can now see how much ammo is in the gun, you can reload the SSG after firing a single barrel, and you can perform a Fatality in Mancubus.

Also, there is now a regeneration feature that will regenerate 1 health per second if your health is lower than 30, until you can run again. But I'm not sure if I will keep it to the oficial 0.9

Download:
http://www.4shared.com/file/ntU2xLbo/Brutal_Doom_09_Beta_Test.html
(Both Skulltag and GZDoom versions are included inside this .zip)

This is just way too awesome. I think I came a little bit when I realized I could grab lost souls and throw them **

Found one bug. I don't think anyone's mentioned it, but while I was playing through Doom 1, I found that if I used the berserk pack attacks in very vertically tight corridors, I often got stuck and had to noclip out. I'm assuming this is because the corpses now have some sort of mass...?
Also, and I don't know if this is your deal or not, but it might be handy to have a crosshair on the assault rifle, for those of us that don't like the toggle-able crosshair in doom. It would make sniping a little easier.

I prefer iron sights for the rifle.

@Aaron: That might be because of some of the gib pieces (imp and zombieman torso/husk) are solid and have to be walked over.

A bug I noticed in the 0.9 pre release was that only the second shot of the secondary fire of DB Shotgun actually takes ammo.

I have to admit, that this wad does have a few nice visual effects, but otherwise, it didn't appeal to me personally.

Aaronjw said:

for those of us that don't like the toggle-able crosshair in doom.

This is bullshit.What is wrong with the current crosshair?
EDIT:In the new demo,I see there is no chainsaw gibbing for some reason.This is weird,is it intended?

Doing some playtesting with 0.9, I still would like to know how much ammo I have in reserve for my weapons on the status bar. I couldn't pick up the ammo initially but reloading then doing some shooting I can pick it up.

Also, the shotgun dude's arm-blown-off death doesn't have him drop his weapon for some strange reason. Other death anims he does.

Why doesn't armor take damage from hitscan weapons? It only takes damage from monster projectiles and melee attacks.

Why do items have an aura around them? I'm not very fond of that, but I only see the reason for auras is for the powerups and item bonuses.

If you pull back from a melee attack before it is completed, the scratch sound is still played.

Green plasma? That's the arachnotron's plasma color, not the player's (which is blue).

The mancubus still plays his attack sound twice when firing his weapon.

killer2 said:

This is bullshit.What is wrong with the current crosshair?
EDIT:In the new demo,I see there is no chainsaw gibbing for some reason.This is weird,is it intended?

Weird, last time I checked it, it was normal, but I'm gonna check the code again.

Mr. Chris said:

Doing some playtesting with 0.9, I still would like to know how much ammo I have in reserve for my weapons on the status bar. I couldn't pick up the ammo initially but reloading then doing some shooting I can pick it up.

Yes, I will update the HUD on next version to display the status bar ammo.

Mr. Chris said:

Also, the shotgun dude's arm-blown-off death doesn't have him drop his weapon for some strange reason. Other death anims he does.

Why doesn't armor take damage from hitscan weapons? It only takes damage from monster projectiles and melee attacks.

Just some stuff that I was testing, and I just forgot to revert it before the upload.

Mr. Chris said:
Why do items have an aura around them? I'm not very fond of that, but I only see the reason for auras is for the powerups and item bonuses.[/B]

Just some test, I was trying to copy features from Doomsday engine, like glows for every item, but I'm not sure if I will maintain it to the oficial 0.9

Mr. Chris said:
If you pull back from a melee attack before it is completed, the scratch sound is still played.[/B]

If I remember correctly, this is a default Doom's bug, but I will check it out anyway.

Mr. Chris said:
Green plasma? That's the arachnotron's plasma color, not the player's (which is blue). [/B]

I made it to match the green plasma of BFG attacks. I just think weird how the same energy from the same type of battery changes it's collor for each weapon.

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

And actually I credited you in the .txt file
"the author of Bdoom.wad (Jekyll Grim Payne)"
Maybe you just downloaded the GZDoom version, wich I forgot to include the .txt file.

Yes, I did. Thanks then :) I have a couple of additional suggestions.

I think you should add unique pickup sounds for weapons and ammo, I think they would really suit the whole thing.

Also, I'd say you should remove the light halos around plasmaballs, or at least make them much smaller, as this way they significantly obstruct the view. Same applies for BFG starting animation (personally, I think that plasma blinking during this starting part looks kinda weird).

Also, increasing bosses' sizes looks nice, but doesn't feel right gameplay-wise, as their actual size is the same, which may confuse people who don't use autoaiming when playing aiming with mouse. This is not a great problem though. However, notice that Spider Mastermind's empty casings spawheight should be raised (they appear below him now).

And one more thing about unique weapon raising animation. I looks great, but it all the mods that present it there's a significant drawback: you can't interrupt it, so if you accidentally choose not the weapon you want (or you're simply choosing them with the mouse wheel, as I do), you'll have to watch till the raising animation is complete (which is rather long if it happens during heated battles) and then choose the weapon you want (and you still won't be able to start shooting right away).

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

Just some test, I was trying to copy features from Doomsday engine, like glows for every item, but I'm not sure if I will maintain it to the oficial 0.9

Might make them easier to see,so it seems useful.Might reveal some secrets accidentaly too,so I'm not very sure.

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:If I remember correctly, this is a default Doom's bug, but I will check it out anyway.

That is correct.Still,you can correct the default Doom bug.

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:I made it to match the green plasma of BFG attacks. I just think weird how the same energy from the same type of battery changes it's collor for each weapon.

Well I guess most people prefer blue to green (myself included).Plus,blue is oldschool.Also,remember,fire can be blue,red or even incolor.It depends on the gas used and on the temperature of the fire.

About the plasma rifle...it seems to fire too slow.Did you change the firerate?If so,I would suggest changing it back.

Also the chainsaw's delay seems to make it a lot less useful.

Also,I see the cyberdemon drops his robotic leg.Given his current death animation,it looks like he has 3 legs,which is rather dumb if you ask me.