Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sergeant_Mark_IV

Brutal Doom version 18a

I dunno if it is said in this thread earlier but from the older versions up to this version of brutaldoom (v18a) i see a bug happen when i kill a spectre (invisible pinky). When i shoot him and he dies you see really strange blood squirts. It looks strange kinda pixelated. Could be some graphic settings i need to change? Anyway that was 1 annoyance i found another one, where the barrels and their toxic green glow on top look out of place. Again it could be some graphic settings i need to tweak, but i kept seeing these in v17 as well. Ofcourse i don't want to bash your great work you have delivered but just adding my 2 cents. If i could do it better i would offer my help.

Sergeant Mark IV you are a legend for this awesome as gameplay wad, is there going to be a new version soon?

I also liked the asploding heads.

I love Brutal Doom, but I think I like version 17 better than version 18. Is it just me or did version 18 get new weapons? They don't seem to fit the scheme of the other weapons, and not sure how that would be incorporated in 3rd party wads (unless it was just in the doom wad I tried it in, but I had never seen them in that wad using Brutal Doom v17).

OK, this might not even be a problem but...
during normal play sesseions I keep a screen recorder running in case of anything good or unusual taking place, thus I discovered another bug:

this bug seems to be related to the lifts the hell knights were on, and the toxic waste.

I've seen this happen on non-lifts and with Mancubus heads too, Josh. I have also been hurt attempting to kick a cyberdemon head around when too close, like 15-20% health.

cyberdemon heads do damage? well this could be one of two things:
intentional, the cybers head is quite large and has sharp horns
not intentional, this seems like the right one due to that being a bit absurd.

God damn gibs, always messing with us!

Just finished watching the first video: This is hilarious! I love it! I honestly would've never thought of that. It really gives the gibs some character, and I can see a lot of funny moments arising from this. For instance, I'm sure I'll open up with the chaingun in an empty room at some point as a direct result of being startled by a falling brain or something, lol.

Watching second one now. Dis gon be gud. ^^

EDIT: Just watched the second one. Good implementation. I think we're going to see a lot of crushers from ZDoom mappers in the near future. ;D

Hi, hope this issue has not been adressed before.
I often can't reload save states it tells me : Skin 'bloodpoolstains.png' not found in 'NashGore_BloodSpot'

I tried the commends gl_use_models 1 and 0 at no avail. Should I redownload the brutal doom wad or is it some bug?

Congratulations for the awesome work!

EDIT : Seems like the problem pops up every time I save while having low health.

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

Two videos showcasing the latest progress on v19

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcJ7CztInas

Nice! ; )

Here's a req:
- zooming in as secondary firemode for the RL would be nice. I hate to waste my rockets on long distance shots ; ) in case of active autoaiming it should be turned off temporarily when using this mode.
- please add a dedicated fist key so that the fist can be used anytime without the need of "changing weapons" first. Just like the kick works right now.

Is it possible to turn off the camera clipping through walls after dying or when performing a fatality? The camera also clips when doing a roll left/right. The way it works right now looks really bad imho.
For a moment I thought it might be a good idea to temporarily turn off the sky - while the camera is "outside" of the level. But this would only look good in indoor situations and introduces a bunch of other problems which probably are a nightmare to fix in order to make it look good in all situations.

Doohnibor said:

Nice! ; )

Here's a req:
- zooming in as secondary firemode for the RL would be nice. I hate to waste my rockets on long distance shots ; ) in case of active autoaiming it should be turned off temporarily when using this mode.
- please add a dedicated fist key so that the fist can be used anytime without the need of "changing weapons" first. Just like the kick works right now.

Is it possible to turn off the camera clipping through walls after dying or when performing a fatality? The camera also clips when doing a roll left/right. The way it works right now looks really bad imho.
For a moment I thought it might be a good idea to temporarily turn off the sky - while the camera is "outside" of the level. But this would only look good in indoor situations and introduces a bunch of other problems which probably are a nightmare to fix in order to make it look good in all situations.

i agree on the fist thing!! i am no coder or programmer, but as a 3d artist, I can advice that may be during the fatality moment, turns all the wall and object that the camera would go through into invisible, that might help when for example, the camera may be half inside a wall and look out, you would see part of the wall invisible(camera behind the wall) and half not (camera outside the wall), dunno, just a though...

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

so far so good man!! love the flesh sliding on the wall and organs and brain matters fall off the ceiling!!! from the second video, I can see somehow when the crasher squishing the demons, you see, some a shorter, but the crusher would slow down at the same height, may be a fix on that?

I've played it for the first time recently. Lots of good stuff, such as shotgunner's finisher with his own shotgun, throwing lost souls or kicking knights and barons (hellspawn don't reproduce, eh? :D). I found one weird behavior, as punching cyberdemon's severed head with fist damaged me. Also, that coughing while jumping sounds weird. And SSG feels even more imbalanced now, as normal SG has to be reloaded, while SSG's altfire can serve just like a better regular SG, and the primary fire can destroy a cacodemon in one hit! It would be cool to have some gore for Spider mastermind at some point, as it has the least interactive corpse now (along with Commander Justin, heh). Otherwise, it's all great and I can't wait to see what else will come.

Btw are the Railgun and Grenade Launcher no longer supported? I remember back in V.16 you could pick them up and use them (and they looked graphically different than the default skulltag versions), but now if you find them in the wads you're playing all you can do is pick them up, you can't switch to them or anything.

Arclite said:

Btw are the Railgun and Grenade Launcher no longer supported? I remember back in V.16 you could pick them up and use them (and they looked graphically different than the default skulltag versions), but now if you find them in the wads you're playing all you can do is pick them up, you can't switch to them or anything.

I can use them if I cheat them in on the zandronum version, I think they may be different items altogether though but I'm not sure...

Hey there,
this is my first post on doomworld and I'm really glad I found this community.
I've been playing Doom II for ~15 years now and still consider it the best computer game ever made!

Thanks to this brilliant mod it not only got visually more appealing, but also made me rediscover this game all new! Brutal Doom has preserved the visual charm, adding some cool new features and a better balanced gameplay.

GREAT WORK!

Anyway, I've got some questions concerning this mod and hope you might be able to help me, as I'm currently planning on recording a playthrough:

- I'd like to get 100% kills in every map. And I did achieve doing so at least once on every map. But unfortunately sometimes I only get 99%, since there is one demon left in the map. However this one cannot be found (and believe me, I know all the secrets...). I've got a feeling that this is due to Lost Souls being created and dying instantly, therefore not counting as a kill. Can you confirm that? Is there a possibility to see the location of a monster on the map?

- Is it possible that two demons of the same kind cannot fight/kill each other? I realized that on "The Spirit World" on trying to get the two spider Masterminds fight each other...which they simply did not, no matter how hard I tried (standing in between or behind them)

This could, however, also be a matter of GZDoom 1.71 which I use. It's just in comparison to the original game I mean.

(Skypec2) And SSG feels even more imbalanced now, as normal SG has to be reloaded, while SSG's altfire can serve just like a better regular SG, and the primary fire can destroy a cacodemon in one hit!

Actually it's fact that the SG has been improved and now offers increased damage. The SSG shoots 20 pellets on a double-shot or 10 on a single shot. The SG used to shoot 7 pellets, now it's 10 in order to match the SSG.
What you observed is the bonus damage for point-black hits. I welcome this improvement as it makes a battle more intense. The Caco has a very powerful meele attack, therefore it's only fair to add the bonus damage and kill him in one shot if he get's too close :)

I can't vouch for the rest of the stuff, but I know I've never seen two spider masterminds fight each other, on any doom wad or mod. Just as I've never seen two Cyberdemons fight each other, or two arch-viles, or two arachnotrons, and the list goes on from here, though, obviously some creatures of the same type can fight each other.

I've seen Pain Elemental's trying to fight their own lost soul's multiple times recently.

Spider Masterminds do fight each other in vanilla Doom, since unlike the Cyberdemon or any other projectile-firing monster, they use hitscan attacks, much like former humans.

Yes, definitely on the original Doom II game on UV the spider masterminds were fighting each other.

But even if there are two arachnotrons in a line and both of them are shooting at the player: if the plasma of one spider hits the other, no one gets hurt. The backmost spider just continues shooting and hitting the spider in front, but nothing happens.

Thank you all so far. Does anyone have an idea about the 100% kills and my "Lost Soul" theory? (see above)

Oops, yup that's right, my mistake. Of course, spider masterminds fight each other. It seems to be that way with "bullet" type weapons.

Sry about that

offy said:

I realized that on "The Spirit World" on trying to get the two spider Masterminds fight each other...which they simply did not, no matter how hard I tried

Maybe that's because they use some fancy super fast projectiles instead of hitscans now. While hitscans always trigger infighting, monsters are invunerable to their own projectiles.

I'm not sure how often Mark reads this thread compared to the ZDoom forum one, but there's a pretty significant error that's apparently been overlooked for a couple versions now, and is still present in v18a: if you grab an invulnerability sphere, then berserk-execute any enemy, your invulnerability will end as soon as the execution animation completes, even though the screen is still white-tinted like you're invulnerable. This was tested with GZDoom 1.8.0 (r1600)/ZDoom 2.7.0 (r4342).

Furthermore, the Barons had their blood changed to red in order to overcome palette errors during execution animations. So why do they turn into a pile of green mush when crushed? (Maybe Knights do too, but I hadn't tested that.)

It's also weird how SFLR6_1 & SFLR6_4 have flat-warping effects added to them to make them look like they're squirming around. Yet, the other two "gradient" flats in the series, SFLR7_1 & SFLR7_4 are static and motionless, making them stand out oddly.

And is it intentional that shotgun guys don't drop their weapons when you stealth-kill them and break their necks? Regular zombiemen still drop their rifles, but our bald friends keep the shotguns to themselves.