Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CeeJay

Probably a silly question...

When using external PNGs for sprites in ZDoom/GZDoom/Skulltag/Doomsday how are the individual frames alligned in-game (x and y values)? Or are they just displayed centered as they are.

When the pictures are imported they are automatically centered, but you can redefine the X and Y offset with an editor (like XWE).

BTW: cool avatar :-)

t.v. said:

When the pictures are imported they are automatically centered, but you can redefine the X and Y offset with an editor (like XWE).

BTW: cool avatar :-)

Not really what i meant. When they are stored externally, not inside a wad. I got some answers from the ZDoom forums, PNGs apparently can store x and y information chunks which are supported by the ZDoom engines (ZDoom, GZDoom & Skulltag) but not EDGE unfortunaly which is what i wanted it for.

CeeJay said:

but not EDGE unfortunaly which is what i wanted it for.

You could modify X/Y in images.ddf? Or are you wanting to do this without having to add those entires?

Chu said:

You could modify X/Y in images.ddf? Or are you wanting to do this without having to add those entires?

Having to go through each and every frame of for example a set of enemies would be tidious ecpecially if the job has already been done in a diffrent manner. The PNGs i'm using have the x/y set in the image themselves.

It's not just ZDoom, since since Doom64 Ex uses the same chunk.

Isn't EDGE still in its RC phase? Reading the offset chunk (grAb) isn't very complicated to code so it could be a quick feature request.

CeeJay said:

Having to go through each and every frame of for example a set of enemies would be tidious ecpecially if the job has already been done in a diffrent manner. The PNGs i'm using have the x/y set in the image themselves.

Are you talking about the allignment of sprites and their positions? In any wad editor you can manually move the position of them by inputting x and y values into the sprite in question. Usually when you import something custom into a wad the picture isn't in the correct place.

To put it in place simply put 0, and 0 as the co-ordiantes for the sprite (if you use XWE), the borders also do show you in which the appear anyway.

They are displayed as co-ordinates in game relative to the position of the screen. Take a look at weapon sprites for instance they all have similar co-ordinates on the hud First person view relative to the resolution that was set by id.

In SLumpEd or SLADE3, you can use a dialog accessible by right-clicking on the selected lumps, to batch-set all of their offsets automatically, either to an auto setting like "Monster" or "Projectile" or to manually add or subtract a certain amount from their current offsets.

I'm pretty sure XWE doesn't know about the grAb chunk used for setting sprite offsets in PNGs, so trying to use it for this is an exercise in futility.