Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

How many people use Zdoom based ports?

Porsche Monty said:

There's nothing wrong with using ZDoom for vanilla/Boom maps except for the casual map-breaking change introduced during it's development cycle, but that's actually quite rare, at least in my personal experience.

Not quite sure what you mean here. Are you talking about maps that are intended for vanilla or Boom but are only tested with Zdoom? It's very normal for such maps to have major bugs. In fact, can you point to any wads of that type that do work correctly in the target exe?

A number of people have commented that most people are willing to use a variety of ports - whatever the map requires. While that is no doubt true up to a point (most people will probably play a really major project that impresses them even if it requires a particular port), I also feel that people are significantly less likely to play a map if it requires a port that isn't their normal preference.

Grazza said:

I also feel that people are significantly less likely to play a map if it requires a port that isn't their normal preference.

Bad for them. If mappers try to cater to those people, we'd lose all variety because it'd inevitably limit all options to the original feature set.

I'm a ZDoom monkey, my favourite WAD from last year was a Boom WAD.

I'm also on the side of modding for the hell of it. I only have one mapset to my name at the moment, but when I look at it I still get that old "I did that!" fuzzy feeling, like that kid at the end of the X-Files ;)