Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cthulhunicron

What are the optimal specs to run Doom 3?

Sorry if this has been asked a lot. I wasn't sure how to search for this.

If I run Doom 3 at full screen, I get very slow and choppy gameplay, even with the lowest graphic settings. I have the screen as small as it will go (something like 600 x 800) and it runs pretty well.

My specs are:

Windows 7 64 bit
Pentium Dual CPU E2200 2.2 Ghz
NVIDIA GeForce 7100/nForce 630i
3G RAM

Is this enough to run the game well, or do I need to get more memory or something?

You need a graphics card. The rest is fine for a seven year old game, but the graphics card you're running is SHIT. That's an integrated motherboard card, no? You'll want a discrete memory card, like a Geforce GTX460. (Excessive for Doom 3, but fairly "future proof" in case you decide to upgrade the rest into a modern machine.)

An EVGA SR-2 Motherboard equipped with 48gb of RAM, dual Xeon X5690 hexa-core server processors, three GTX 580s in SLI plus another for PhysX and 6 SSDs in RAID 0.

But chances are you will get an average frame rate of about 10 FPS on low settings with that setup, so I would throw a tesla card in there.

Thanks for the input. Yes, the one I have is an integrated graphics card. I really don't know much about modern gaming, so a lot of these terms are new to me.

Could I get away with simply replacing the graphics card with one of the cards that have been suggested, or do I need to do more?

As far as memory space goes, I think I have about 80 gigs free.

I can run Doom 3 even on my shitty laptop with 1.3ghz cpu, 2gb of ram and an ati mobility radeon with 16mb of vram!

Why are you guys telling him to buy those high-end cards with that shitty CPU?

EDIT: Hell, a 4770 is more than enough to run it at high settings.

If all you want to play is Doom 3 then just buy a Radeon HD 4650. My old 4350 ran Doom 3 on high settings, but I also had a quad-core processor. If you want to play something more demanding than Doom 3 then I'd need the wattage of your power supply.

Whoo said:

If all you want to play is Doom 3 then just buy a Radeon HD 4650. My old 4350 ran Doom 3 on high settings, but I also had a quad-core processor. If you want to play something more demanding than Doom 3 then I'd need the wattage of your power supply.

Everything this man says is a lie! OP will need a Quadro 6000 at the very least!

For comparison I got about 15-35FPS (60+ if my face is against a wall) with my laptop's Intel 915GM Express. Laptop specs: 1 GB DDR2 and a 2 GHz Pentium M. That's with a 640x480 resolution and bump maps disabled. :)

Marnetmar said:

Everything this man says is a lie! OP will need a Quadro 6000 at the very least!

Bad troll is bad.

My laptop specs:

Windows Vista Home basic
AMD Athlon Processor 2650e
3.00 GB ram
ATI Radeon X1200

My laptop can plays Doom 3 quite well since I had this labtop nearly 2 years ago :)

I can't imagine how a 7-year old game can struggle on such specs (I played it just fine on an ATI 9600 XT...meaning a 2005 ATI 9600 XT!) and an Athlon 64 3200+ with 1 GB of RAM yeeeeears ago. THe only obviously shit thing here is the graphics card (integrated, shared VRAM).

Getting pretty much ANY discrete video card with its own video RAM (even an old nVidia 6x00 or 7x00, even a low end 6200 or 7300) will be TONS better than what you have now.

Um, no to 6200 and 7300, he'll just be running into the same issue he is now. 6200 especially, but 7300 won't be much better off.

chungy said:

Um, no to 6200 and 7300, he'll just be running into the same issue he is now. 6200 especially, but 7300 won't be much better off.

Why? A 7300 easily surpasses an ATI 9600XT in 3DMark03, using the same CPU (an Athlon 64 3200+, I had a way to verify it personally. ATI got about 3900 3DMarks, 7300 got 4400). Don't forget that we're talking about a 7 year old game here, and that we're comparing integrated vs dedicated video ram, which often is enough to make all the difference in the world.

In any case, I just wanted to indicate that even if he buys the crappiest PCI Express videocard possible on the market today, he'll probably buy something that outperforms what was considered optimal back in 2004 by a considerable margin.

He'd have to try really hard to get something that performs worse than his current video card, since he can't buy an AGP card for it. Even one of those PCI (not PCI Express) cards that are still made, would probably smoke his integrated in several benchmarks, easily.