Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Clonehunter

Cherub is Underrated Trash

Headcrabs under appreciated? Isn't the headcrab like the most iconic enemy from the half-life series?

Krispavera said:

Headcrabs under appreciated? Isn't the headcrab like the most iconic enemy from the half-life series?

yep. Valve was even selling Head crab plushies and hats. Most of this list seems to be utter bullshit. The Ghosts from SH4 were underappreciated? Dear God they were practically the most important characters in the game. Also

Like pretty much every thing that made the list there's usually more than one of these guys coming at us at once

Sounds like someone didn't play past the first level. As far as I can remember, they usually did come at you alone except for a few occassions such as the first time you encounter the first victims in the subway, and even then it was only 2 or three of them. Oh and to be fair, you could kind of kill them by pinning them down with those silver sword things.

This list is nonsense. Lambent Wretches are "underrated"? Perhaps that's because the entire segment of the game in which they appeared is zero fun solely because of their presence.

Not that Cherubs weren't annoying, either. I seem to harbor quite the hatred toward quick melee swarm enemies that impossible to properly defend against up close.

Personally I thought cherubs were pretty shit. Annoying, silly looking and obviously designed to be "OMG its a mutated human baby 'that iz teh scary'". Also, I thought they looked more like plastic baby dolls attached to insects somehow and, like almost all of the Doom3 monsters, to me said "mutant" or "alien" rather than "hellspawn" (although, perhaps they were a bit more hellspawn-like than most.

Xaser said:

This list is nonsense.

Agreed. A typical list article designed to draw in readers: the content doesn't matter as long as it has 10 itemised entries for people to piss and moan about (or, occasionally, agree). Also their criteria for what makes an enemy "underated" are, in themselves, very subjective.

I think I noted in an older thread just how disturbing I found the cherubs when I first ran into them. Everything about them touched on some deep-seated fear or something. My blood literally ran cold. After the mancubus fight, when cherubs appeared everywhere, it got worse and worse. I had to stop playing and I was too scared to pick the game back up for a few days. Then I realized what a pussy I was and just fucking played the damn game and killed the damn cherubs. Stupid babies.

Haha, wow. Not touching on the ones already mentioned:
Grunts, really? The unfunny "comedic relief" bitches from Halo are "underrated"? They probably get as much, if not more retarded "fan art" than anything else in the series.

Swarmers? How can anyone rate or appreciate an enemy whose sole purpose is to make you spam the "action" button if you don't kill them before they get to you?

Condemned 2's evil dolls of evil? I'm sure anyone who's played the game knows how damn creepy that part of the game is. It's not like anyone could ignore it.

Machine Gun Toting Non-Zombie? Hmm... maybe he's/they're "under-appreciated" because it's not exactly RARE to see an angry guy toting a machine gun and shooting things.

I also like how they apparently couldn't find a screenshot of the remnant and had to settle for concept art instead.

The cherub's arms look kind of cool in that picture. Guess it's much easier to notice on a version of the game that has detail. The PC version of Doom 3 had dynamic shadows cast from the flashlight then?

Xeros612 said:

Haha, wow. Not touching on the ones already mentioned:
Grunts, really? The unfunny "comedic relief" bitches from Halo are "underrated"? They probably get as much, if not more retarded "fan art" than anything else in the series.

Yes, but I don't think they were going for rule 34 popularity.

[on-topic]Yeah... this list is shit, but it's still a little funny to read. Don't know why anyone would get too up in arms about it, though.

To all of you people who said Cherubs are scary: Why? They are human babies who are part bug. They are fucking awsome to kill, because they hardly look like babies at all. Their eyes really take the effect away. Even if they did look more Babyish, they would still be fun to splatter with a shotgun. They are more annoying if anything.

Clonehunter said:

To all of you people who said Cherubs are scary: Why?

That's, uh, rather subjective, don't you think? Why are some people entertained by Jersey Shore? Some things just are.

Membrain said:

Yes, but I don't think they were going for rule 34 popularity.

I actually wasn't referring to the rule 34 shit. Back when I gave half a shit about the series and went to the bungie forums I recall seeing a lot of little fan arts of them in goofy/"funny" situations or saying "funny" things in the off topic section. (And occasionally in one of the game specific sections when people weren't busy whinging about "hurr elite player models r 4 fags!!!1" or "this game is too nooby Halo 2 was better".)

Hell, if we're thinking on rule 34 shit nothing's got anything on the elites. I've been unfortunate enough to stumble upon that in the past. Fucking furries.

@Clonehunter They'd certainly be more frightening if their presentation was better. Like, instead of just popping up and going "boo!" and making the player's set-in-stone reaction of "shoot the fucking thing dead" go off, maybe set up some sort of cutscene similar to that crucified/cut open man on the ceiling. Then again, the whole of Doom 3 could have done a much better job on horror.

Xeros612 said:

@Clonehunter They'd certainly be more frightening if their presentation was better. Like, instead of just popping up and going "boo!" and making the player's set-in-stone reaction of "shoot the fucking thing dead" go off, maybe set up some sort of cutscene similar to that crucified/cut open man on the ceiling. Then again, the whole of Doom 3 could have done a much better job on horror.

You know, it's funny, that was the best cut scene in the game. They had such great opportunities to introduce these monster.

Remember that "They took my baby" scene were you followed the blood footprints. What a set-up to introduce these creatures.

I thought this thread was going to be about an underrated thrash metal band named Cherub.

Clonehunter said:

To all of you people who said Cherubs are scary: Why? They are human babies who are part bug. They are fucking awsome to kill, because they hardly look like babies at all. Their eyes really take the effect away. Even if they did look more Babyish, they would still be fun to splatter with a shotgun. They are more annoying if anything.

I don't really consider them scary, I personally consider them more of a combination of creepy and depressing.

No matter how much like babies cherubs looked, they were still demons from hell programmed to rip you to shreds. I didn't feel the slightest remorse wasting them. :P

Now if you actually had to kill human children, that would be creepy and depressing (and also an AO/banned rating most likely).

On the bright side, at least he didn't choose Trites for Doom 3. If he had I probably would have personally slapped the shit out of him in the hopes of knocking some sense into him.

Of course, underrated or unappreciated doesn't mean bad. In fact, it quite often implies just the opposite: a good thing that has somehow slipped under the radar.

Problem is that, aside from just being a bad list anyway, I'd say that a number of the entries on it were overrated (and I'd include the Doom3 insect-baby in that). However, I'd suggest that the feel of the article doesn't tie in to the title of the list very well anyway.

Hmm, I'm actually tempted to start a "Top Ten Things I Just Picked Randomly" series, just to see if it would catch. Somehow I get the idea that someone's beat me to it, though.

This list is bullshit, all list articles are bullshit, and even this thread is bullshit by association. Yet, I keep find myself going back to cracked.com. What the hell is wrong with me? If someone ever writes a "Ten Most Listed Game Characters" article I'll read it like a sucker.

Creaphis said:

If someone ever writes a "Ten Most Listed Game Characters" article I'll read it like a sucker.

Or "ten best lists of listed game characters"...

Lol, the comments are more ********** than the list it self.

They say this is a good list...how? its awful!

It doesnt make sense at all. Maybe as a joke list.

edit: why is that censored?