Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yellowmadness54

I'm rather into wolfenstein now

I dont know what it is I find so fun about wolf styled games, but I'm loving them now.

I've been playing Spear of Ressurection as well Return to Danger and Ultimate Challendge.

They are certainly very fun.

I also got RoTT today, which came with alot of other stuff bundled with it, including loads of share ware episodes and random level creator (like SLIGE but for RoTT)

I really wish people played this online, though!

Part of Wolfenstein 3d's appeal is getting lost in mazes while the Nazis are hunting you.

yellowmadness54 said:

Spear of Ressurection

Spear of Destiny?

I really wish people played this online, though!

There's a few Flash-based Wolf 3D games you can play online but I don't suppose that's what you're looking for. I've found references on The Wolfenstein 3D Dome to a multiplayer engine that was being developed by Carnevil and JJ Erickson (one of those names rings a bell) though they've said little since announcing closed beta testing back in June 2007 so it's current status is probably anyone's guess.

GreyGhost said:

Spear of Destiny?

There's a few Flash-based Wolf 3D games you can play online but I don't suppose that's what you're looking for. I've found references on The Wolfenstein 3D Dome to a multiplayer engine that was being developed by Carnevil and JJ Erickson (one of those names rings a bell) though they've said little since announcing closed beta testing back in June 2007 so it's current status is probably anyone's guess.

I think he was refering to Rise of the Triad.

That multiplayer version of Wolf3D is long dead and the "Carnevil" developing it wasn't the same one as the Skulltag creator.

Aside from ROTT, Corridor 7 (CD Version) and Operation Body Count both have 8 player deathmatch.

The Wolf3D TC by Afadoomer was adapted to Skulltag by someone, and I've seen coop servers with it, but I'm not sure about any deathmatching so far. Angles for the BJ sprites would be needed.

GreyGhost said:

Spear of Destiny?

No, spear of ressurection is a very good mod for SoD.

And I meant Rise of The Triad when I mentioned online play.

yellowmadness54 said:

And I meant Rise of The Triad when I mentioned online play.

I couldn't get into RoTT for some reason. It just feels off (floaty or something). I love "Goin' Down the Fast Way" music though.

Orchid87 said:

I couldn't get into RoTT for some reason. It just feels off (floaty or something). I love "Goin' Down the Fast Way" music though.

mmm,
I'll try later if you can manage get on.

I was thinking the other day how it would be cool if someone made a tc of wolf3d for doom. I am blown away by the TC! And it's kinda funny, because I always thought the secret at the end of Doom2's Wolfenstein had change the soul sphere to a medkit. Then I find it in the conversion and I'm like--wait a minute, where's the extra life? Looked at my secrets, saw that there was 4/5, and it finally dawned on me I had totally forgotten about the 5th secret on the level! Anyway, this is going to be a fun trip down memory lane.

Couple questions: 1, do the secret doors behave like wolf3d secret doors in gzdoom? In zdoom they rise upward. 2nd, how do the secret doors rising upward affect the über secret in E4M2?

Hellbent said:

Couple questions: 1, do the secret doors behave like wolf3d secret doors in gzdoom? In zdoom they rise upward. 2nd, how do the secret doors rising upward affect the über secret in E4M2?

Are you talking about wolfendoom, or the actually wolf3D TC that is actually extremely well done?

If its the second one then
Q1- no, they are push walls. Even on Zdoom unless you are playing it wrong.
Q2-see Q1.

There is an optional addon for GZDoom which adds 3D model objects to the pushwalls, so that they can be pushed away instead of raising like Doom doors. But I don't really like it because with it you hear the pushwall sound twice -- once for the Doom-style door that's still there for ZDoom, and once for the model door.

That said, the latest version may feature polyobjects, taking advantage of the new pobj code in ZDoom. But there are other issues with it as well, so it's not perfect yet.

yellowmadness54 said:

Are you talking about wolfendoom, or the actually wolf3D TC that is actually extremely well done?

If its the second one then
Q1- no, they are push walls. Even on Zdoom unless you are playing it wrong.
Q2-see Q1.

Playing it wrong? I ran the bat file that came with the zip file. Other than the rising doors, it seems to be near carbon copy of the original. The only other difference I've noticed is that I still see bullet puffs.

Look into the Blake Stone series if you haven't already. As far as I know those play fairly similarly.

Also makes me wonder why they chose the Wolfenstein engine over the Doom or Build engines, since those were out at the time. (Assuming I'm remembering the timeline right.)

Speaking of which, a good source port for Wolfengine games would be pretty nice. Last I looked I couldn't find anything finished or non-halted update progress.

yellowmadness54 said:

exactly. You dont use the BAT file.

Last time I checked, you installed it and dragged the WAD over Zdoom and it worked perfect including push walls.

the folder has a bunch of .pak files, not one single .wad file.

This reminds me, I've been on the fence over buying Wolfenstein 3D for my new PS3. I have it on the 360 already, but...

Ragnor said:

This reminds me, I've been on the fence over buying Wolfenstein 3D for my new PS3. I have it on the 360 already, but...

the Doom TC is awesome! Just play that. :D

The TC that turns Doom into Wolfenstein? I tried that at one point, it had a lot of glitches and Spear of Destiny didn't even work.

I found the port of the actual game on 360 far more enjoyable, EXCEPT for obvious things like automap and item counts being gone. I rely so much on those...

Ragnor said:

The TC that turns Doom into Wolfenstein? I tried that at one point, it had a lot of glitches and Spear of Destiny didn't even work.

I found the port of the actual game on 360 far more enjoyable, EXCEPT for obvious things like automap and item counts being gone. I rely so much on those...

wow I'm sick of 360 kids getting all the DOS games.

All their gonna do is whine about how it isn't CoD and its graphiczaurs are bad and run back to their haloz.

I'd kill for all these games to be on PC+ their online play IE RoTT, DOOM, wolf, duke, blood, shadow warrior, etc.

Thanks ID for once again leaving us sony fans in the dust...

yellowmadness54 said:

wow I'm sick of 360 kids getting all the DOS games.

All their gonna do is whine about how it isn't CoD and its graphiczaurs are bad and run back to their haloz.

I'd kill for all these games to be on PC+ their online play IE RoTT, DOOM, wolf, duke, blood, shadow warrior, etc.

Thanks ID for once again leaving us sony fans in the dust...

> insinuating sony console fanbase isn't going to do the same thing, albeit with KZ or something instead of halo

What does it matter? DOSBox exists, as do source ports. I'm not sure about DOSBox, but most source ports have some sort of online play that works with modern tech.

Hellbent said:

this is priceless.

EDIT: what the hell kind of dork doesn't allow embedding on his own videos? That twit. Try a new link.
lol I saw it a few weeks ago.
Thats in my favorites now.
Its hilarious.

And the vista one, lol.

I am loving this TC of Wolf3d. It is great fun to relive the whole wolf experience. And I am able to do it quickly since I am cheating and using the automap. Admittedly it takes some of the fun out since I am able to discover everything about a map much quicker now, but it's neat to see what the maps actually look like:

The magenta squares kinda ruin it. If it were me, I'd just go with a brighter or darker cyan. Also, I'd rename the level to something less redundant.