Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
schmerr

Doomworld Youtube

Doomworld i have a proposal and i am posting it wherever i find it applicable, doomworld should have a youtube page to put on display:

. SPEEDRUNS
. AWESOME WADS
. AWESOME MODS
. TERRIBLE MODS
. TERRIBLE WADS

Other things too i suppose

While the idea itself isn't entirely bad, your method of presenting your idea is not going to make people take you seriously. Why not list some reasons why you think it would benefit the DoomWorld community? Also, there was no reason to post multiple identical threads.
Even if people aren't interested, you could always make your own channel to showcase your own favorite DooM maps, speed demos, etc.

There are already specialized sections and threads similar to those, usually hidden somewhere. Some are semi-permanent features, some come and go.

Quite a few people here (Tatsurd, Kimo, Blob, etc.) already have YouTube accounts where they post their speedruns. Qaatar uploads his favorite seedruns by other people as well, if I'm not mistaken.

Then there's LP'ers like eargosedown, plus those who just post videos of them playing (me, Valkriforce), so in a way, that's like a showcase of someone's favorite wads.

There might be some potential in the idea, though. One just has to think of a way to utilize properly.

If there's going to be an official Doomworld channel then it's going to need to have frequent updates, high-quality videos, and an even presentation of a wide variety of Doom-related content. It would need to be run by some creative, dedicated individuals, and while the Doom community is positively oozing with that sort of person, they probably all have things they'd rather be doing.

I would volunteer to help with some sort of Doomworld youtube, but my future seems busy.

I actually really like this idea, but it needs to be more in-depth because we already have a thread where members can post videos. I recommend sitting down and thinking about how this can be organized and who would moderate it.

Possible Ideas for video category:
Tutorials
Tricks-tips
Source Ports
Speedrunning(although the speedrun section of the forum is enough and many demo recorders don't see video as proof)
Oddities
Multiplayer matches

This is a very good idea. I'd love to see more speedruns on video hosting websites instead of just demos. Alot of people dont have the effort in downloading prboom etc and configuring it all to work well with demos when they could just press a hyperlink n it's all showed to them on the spot. Plus would make a hell of alot more people know dooms about n if they wanted to play or discuss it.

schmerr said:

. AWESOME WADS
. AWESOME MODS

What's the difference?

schmerr said:

. TERRIBLE MODS
. TERRIBLE WADS

What's the difference?

Fluffles said:

This is a very good idea. I'd love to see more speedruns on video hosting websites instead of just demos. Alot of people dont have the effort in downloading prboom etc and configuring it all to work well with demos when they could just press a hyperlink n it's all showed to them on the spot. Plus would make a hell of alot more people know dooms about n if they wanted to play or discuss it.

A community channel would potentially be good, admittedly. Maybe toss on a watermark or something to let people know where it's from, who knows. So long as there's a decent quality standard.

(Both in terms of video content and in video quality i.e. no awful 240p/360p shite. I'd personally say 480p @ 1024 kb/s video bitrate minimum. A higher quality video is more likely to be received well than something that looks like it was recorded with an old camera phone on a tripod. OF course, the general youtuber is more likely to notice something in HD. Damn buzzwords. Luckily this likely wouldn't end up like the after-the-fact gameplay commentary community, so hopefully whiny kids who throw a shit hemorrhage fit over non-HD videos despite most of the uploaders don't use anywhere near high enough a bitrate to justify such resolutions.)

Actually, livestreams of multiplayer tournaments or matches or such things could be a good idea as well. Works for Quake III, why not for Doom? Could go for colour commentary as well.

(Self promotion/) I have a channel for this http://www.youtube.com/user/Doomlinku (/Self promotion)

I think what would be good would be a channel that compiles all of the better doom videos
. Tutorials
. Speedruns of the better known wads
. Large muiltplayer events (like FNF)
. good muiltplayer matches
. Playting Tips
. any other interesting things

Fluffles said:

The problem with speedruns in video format would be "Where is the proof" or a lot of speedrunners don't want to waste their time uploading a demo for video.

I for one only upload a few of my demos to youtube. It has just been a hassle finding the right demo, record it with FRAPS, compress it, then upload it. I don't find any speedrun on youtube to be legit unless there is a demo because a demo is full proof.

TendaMonsta said:

"Where is the proof"

??? What do you mean? Do you think that it's possible to record video of you playing with save-games and then edit it so it will look like real demo? Or what? :)

Memfis said:

??? What do you mean? Do you think that it's possible to record video of you playing with save-games and then edit it so it will look like real demo? Or what? :)

I'm more of a serious demo person. Demo is proof to me. That's just my opinion Memf. I enjoy youtube speeruns but demo is proof. I don't know why, but that's just me you know?

I don't mean to be so serious about it, but something in me makes me like that. :) Maybe I'm being too serious...and I quit speedrunning anyway so I may start to get a little less uptight on the situation.

I'm a very biased person anyway, but I'm very open to discuss my beliefs and opinions.

Xeros612 said:

A higher quality video is more likely to be received well than something that looks like it was recorded with an old camera phone on a tripod.

Agreed. Unfortunately YouTube seems to put its own compression on anything uploaded to it.
Frex, all the demos on the ClassicDOOM channel were uploaded as pixel-perfect uncompressed .AVIs. The original files are razor-sharp at 960x720... but after YT's mandatory compression, a lot of the action is smeared and muddy. :p
Anyone know of another site that'll host uncompressed gameplay videos?

schmerr said:

. AWESOME WADS
. AWESOME MODS
. TERRIBLE MODS
. TERRIBLE WADS

I think it'd a lot better to just focus on awesome wads and aim for a positive reaction to get the user looking for where to download the mod than something that aims to bash a mod. I would have never bothered coming here if the first video I came across on youtube was a "lol this doom wad sux vid".

Its yes/no for me.

Youtube is full of idiots, spammers, and basic trolls as well the typical CoD dweebs, Halo spammers, and the (not sure where these kids came from and I'm not even kidding when I say they are all these things) "Neo-nazi-emo-bible shitting on-satanist-scenekids"

Dont believe about the above, I can link you to 10 of those right off the bat.

On the good side, it would profit to me because my videos have gotten NO LIGHT at all except from some of you, and the Wolf3d haven and a few guys on youtube.

Also it would show other doomers how great this site is in comparison to New Doom (I totally would love to pay money for something I can do here for free...) and also help them out with their videos.

Its risky but at the same time a very helpful idea.

We should keep it underground.
Until then, I will continue getting into flame wars with people. Flame wars is like chess, its a clever lil game that requires wits and proper typing. And I always win ;)

yellowmadness54 said:

EDIT: Ok now, wait a minute. You have one post of this in hell and one here. May I ask why?

[/B]

Well, Liam told him to flesh out his idea a bit better... this was only very minor, but at least it sparked better discussion than the initial thread did (what with the "/newstuff is enough" responses). There is a degree of merit to the idea.

But terrible wads would deffenately help score views.

Its more fun to talk and bash things you hate than to praise things you like.

People will be interested in seeing negatively reviewes things as they will positive, if not more.

More fun? Sure. Accomplishes more? Not really, no. What's more, the only people who really enjoy bashing shit wads more than praising (and playing) great wads are the YouTube crowd that you seem to have such a distaste for. There's a pretty sweet irony, there. No, i'd rather get the word out on, say, Epic 2 rather than I would something like Sand Chain. That's not going to entice anybody into meandering over to Doomworld and taking a look, now is it?

yellowmadness54 said:

Until then, I will continue getting into flame wars with people. Flame wars is like chess, its a clever lil game that requires wits and proper typing. And I always win ;)

Delusional.

Snakes post = win!

I think that we could actually learn from a site called tm tube (hopefully this is on topic) It basically takes a popular game and creates its own little video community.

I was thinking if we could somehow organize this example and piece it all together with doom videos we could create some kind of small community based on doom videos. Although that's just an idea, a dream if you will.

This seems interesting, but I guess it'll lose interest if it starts.

yellowmadness54 said:

Youtube is full of idiots, spammers, and basic trolls...

Until then, I will continue getting into flame wars with people. Flame wars is like chess, its a clever lil game that requires wits and proper typing. And I always win ;) [/B]

Hypocrisy? A flamer is just as bad as a troll, maybe even worse, cuz at least trolls make actual points.

We should keep it underground.

Down with the establishment! Doomworld is where we keep it real.

Honestly, I feel like Tatsurd's channel, by itself, more than fulfills the "speedrunning" goal of your post. He has over 1000 subscribers, accumulated from years of quality demo uploads. Subscriber count does not mean everything of course, but I know of many demo recorders today who were inspired or partially inspired by Tatsurd to start recording demos. He is probably the single most influential speedrunner of the past 5 years, bar none. Thus, I really don't think that it's possible for a new YT channel to reach out to more people, at least in the speedrunning aspect. The other things like showcasing WADS, multiplayer, etc. might be interesting, but I have no experience with those areas on Youtube.

@Memfis - I think what Tenda means is that someone could record an lmp file that is clearly TAS detectable by the naked eye, using extreme slow motion (choppy and strange mouse movements) and segmentation, but then mask the effects with the "Smooth Demo Playback" feature on pr+. The video played back on YT would seem like a perfectly legit and smooth demo. I'm not saying that anyone would do such a thing, of course, but it is easily possible. Thus, many speedrunners don't take videos "seriously" unless they're accompanied by demos. Then again, this "seriousness" is a load of bullshit anyways, but that's a different story. :)

TendaMonsta said:

The problem with speedruns in video format would be "Where is the proof" or a lot of speedrunners don't want to waste their time uploading a demo for video.

I for one only upload a few of my demos to youtube. It has just been a hassle finding the right demo, record it with FRAPS, compress it, then upload it. I don't find any speedrun on youtube to be legit unless there is a demo because a demo is full proof.

Ok... a little paranoid on the "true speedrun" thingamabobber there.

Nothing stops the uploader or channel admin from posting a link to the demo file in description of the video if it absolutely must be there.

@Ledmeister Have you forgotten the file size of uncompressed videos? 640x480 @ 30FPS hits 3.9 GB in about 12-15 minutes of footage, including audio at 44100 hz stereo, and that's just SVGA! No site is going to want to host such files. The cost for bandwidth would be immense! Youtube's compression is pretty piss poor for anything under 720p, true, and even 720p is lacking for darker areas, but there's not much you can do. Youtube has a lot of trouble keeping their service decent enough as-is. Best thing you can do is make the input bitrate good enough.

I just wish youtube would implement a better 480p re-encoder. I have a feeling even my 4096k video bitrate is going to waste under the current system.

Xeros612 said:

Ok... a little paranoid on the "true speedrun" thingamabobber there.

Nothing stops the uploader or channel admin from posting a link to the demo file in description of the video if it absolutely must be there.
system.

Not that many people post where to get the demo, and at this point I really don't care. Enjoyment is what it all comes down to in the end.

yellowmadness54 said:

uploading videos is one thing.

Other than that, there isn't really much to do. Nothing good is uploaded anymore other than useless CoD footage and montages.

And what does the complevel have to do with youtube, exactly?

Maybe you should look up more than CoD footage and what the front page suggests. There's plenty of good content out there, you just have to look for it, maybe open your mind to something.

yellowmadness54 said:

Other than that, there isn't really much to do. Nothing good is uploaded anymore other than useless CoD footage and montages.

If you look around you'll find some good stuff on youtube. And whats so bad about COD? It doesn't deserve all the hype it gets, but it's at least decent, and has some good things (graphics, cut-scenes, leveling system). And just because you don't like a game it doesn't mean that nobody else is allowed to like it.

My channel has gaming stuff, as of lately a full go-through of the first 3 original episodes using the BrutalDoom mod. The playlist for all of the videos is in my signature.

I see what yo umean about true demo n no cheats etc etc. But the whole point of youtube would be to cater for the newer audience to online dooming. The people who are stuck on singleplayer or ain't played it since 1995 who are interested in the game n seeing that people still play it. It'd help the doom community as a whole. I know this for the fact I actually came to online dooming after seeing zdaemon and doom speedrun videos on youtube. The quality doesn't have to be amazing just good enough for people to keep watching and liking the videos. It's doom afterall the graphical quality isn't the best around.

yellowmadness54 said:

And quit trolling me, you are seeming to start shit with me alot lately.

Disagreeing != trolling. Besides, when you watch TV or a movie in a theater, you don't want to see ads or previews for other things. I don't see anyone bitching about those, at least not to the level people do about youtube having them.

On the demos: For the hypothetical doomworld youtube channel, a rule could be imposed that all speedruns and demos and whatnot have the demo files uploaded somewhere semi-permanent and linked in the video description. Or, whoever controls the channel could have someone check and review the demo to see if it's really legitimate.

The issue of who controls the account is a good question, though. A "group password" could be doable, so long as only members of the forums know it and therefore only members of the forum can use the channel. Just having a couple people with it could also work, since people who want their content up can just upload to mediafire(or similar hosting services), send the link to whoever's going to run the channel, and they can upload the file to youtube.

Youtube's supposedly making an entirely new group system, so if that does come to pass maybe that could be used. Assuming that occurs in any sort of timely fashion.

Xeros612 said:

@Ledmeister Have you forgotten the file size of uncompressed videos?

Yeah, I know. That was some hyperbole on my part, fueled by a bit of frustration and a tumbler of Seagram's. ;)
We don't need uncompressed, but I'd be happy with better compressed, or anything else to get sharper video back from a host.