Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alphawolf

How do you think games are developing?

As time goes on? Doom was landmark, original and awesome in everyway and still is. I feel though that games are getting lame and uninteresting. I have CoD black ops, (cod 4 was awesome) and they feel like old shit being used over and over again. Can you imagine Doom 6 and 7? year after year since it came out?

What's your opinions on games like Halo Reach and what not?

To be honest, I really don't think we'll be able to judge accurately until 10 years from now. There was a lot of crap in the nineties, too, that we've all gone and forgotten about.

I was thinking about the same question when it came to anime recently, and the conclusion I arrived at was that quality was not going down. Rather, there's just more titles out there with less diversity between them. The trick is finding the gems and looking back at those in 10 years.

Why do we have this discussion every few weeks? Entertainment in general is doing fine. Most of it sucks in any generation anyway.

I'd argue that perhaps there aren't quite enough standout gems in the Triple A titles these days. Quite a lot of the "good" games have many clones, and they all tend to be released on a yearly or bi-yearly cycle. I personally am watching Valve closely these days as they are quite innovative and release when they're good and ready to.

All-in-all though, I think things are about the same as they've always been.

Seems that games are changing to new ways. Doom 1 was awesome, then the second one followed with more awesomeness. When doom 3 came out, it took a whole new road, abandoning the series, however remaining with the same awesomeness, and i enjoed it just like the original dooms. Same thing with wolfenstein. Wolf 3D, then RTCW, then the changing game wolfenstien which didn't feel like it belonged to the series, yet it was still awesome and i enjoyed playing every single bit. Quake? Same thing. I just hope now that Duke Nukem Forever will somehow stay in these 2 areas: following the original, or making a different thing with the same level of awesomness. Anything below, i am disappoint.

They still make plenty of awesome RPGS. See Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Oblivion, Fallout 3, etc.

Also, Minecraft and TF2.

Publishers are not helping in any matter in the development as of late (See Activision), what ever happened to cooperation that helped between both parties, not fearing them?

personally I play a lot more games from the nineties than from this century

the reason I think is because of the long-time-motivation (I hope this word exists in english too ;))
there are games in these days I like, but I don't want to play them every week

I hope Rage and/OR DooM4 will change this, otherwice my pc will never become powerful enough to play recent games... :)

Aliotroph? said:

Why do we have this discussion every few weeks? Entertainment in general is doing fine. Most of it sucks in any generation anyway.

This.

As much as I love old games, there are tons of them that are just horrible and probably were only cool because they were using the latest technology - just like today

I think the main change is that in the 90s computer gaming was still new, exciting and pioneering. It's more established now. That has benefits and drawbacks.

magicsofa said:

This.

As much as I love old games, there are tons of them that are just horrible and probably were only cool because they were using the latest technology - just like today

Exactly, every generation of technology has a ton shit and a few awesome things. This is nothing new.

Alphawolf said:

they feel like old shit being used over and over again.

No shit.

Alphawolf said:

As time goes on? Doom was landmark, original and awesome in everyway and still is. I feel though that games are getting lame and uninteresting. I have CoD black ops, (cod 4 was awesome) and they feel like old shit being used over and over again. Can you imagine Doom 6 and 7? year after year since it came out?

What's your opinions on games like Halo Reach and what not?

Kinect is where the future of gaming is

I posted in another thread that if you want original and interesting games, you should buy indie. id was not a major gaming company back when it made Doom, and Doom was not an AAA title. You shouldn't expect innovative gameplay from large companies, not even from those that were once smaller.

The gaming industry isn't dying, it's just going through yet another cycle of small companies becoming big and losing their touch, and new small companies being formed to take their place.

Games used to have a certain abstract quality to them, partly due to design choices and partly due to technical limitations of the time. I miss having to use my imagination to fill in certain blanks. These days it's all about a quest for realism or some kind of psuedo-realism (yes, with exceptions).

Anyone else feel this way, sort of?

Have you considered we are getting OLD? Maybe if we were 9 years old now (the age I was when I met Doom), we would think Halo, CoD and all the other clones were the best games ever.

DoomUK said:

Games used to have a certain abstract quality to them, partly due to design choices and partly due to technical limitations of the time. I miss having to use my imagination to fill in certain blanks. These days it's all about a quest for realism or some kind of psuedo-realism (yes, with exceptions).

Anyone else feel this way, sort of?

Again, I feel like indie games still have this abstract quality.

cbronson said:

Have you considered we are getting OLD? Maybe if we were 9 years old now (the age I was when I met Doom), we would think Halo, CoD and all the other clones were the best games ever.

Yes but that gives us more ability to comment on the development of games, considering many people here have witnessed more than a decade of it.

I would think that while Doom was amazing to many of us who were young when it came it, we did not have the perspective of people who had seen Pong and Pac-Man and been amazed and then watched the progression up to Doom. We would be taking it at face value while they could appreciate the technological side of it.

Similarly, kids now appreciate the "wow" factor of super realistic graphics but they don't necessarily appreciate things like the modern physics engines that started coming out, at least in terms of advancement over previous technology