Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rambosee

What's the best game ever?

What's your most favorite game of all time (besides doom)? Give a reason and a screenshot & video of the game.

Super Metroid for the SNES. The music, the atmosphere...Everything. It's also extremely fun to speedrun.

I would say:

I have played all 3 original NES Mario Bros. to death (and again on SNES in All-Stars). They are just straight up fun games, everything platforming games should be, particularly SMB3, which I still find myself playing on occasion to this day.

or

I like all of the Zelda games and it was a total toss-up between this and Link to the Past, both are fun, have great stories, and like SMB fun to play over and over again. I too find myself playing this on occasion every so once in a while.

True classics never die.

I'd also like to give honorable mention to the Metal Gear Solid Series. These three franchises, along with the Doom franchise are all I'd ever need if I couldn't play any other video game again.

Etrian Odyssey-series, or if I had to pick one specifically, 3.

It's even better than Doom.

And because everything that there is to be said about Etrian Odyssey has already been said on the Internet, I'll forward you to the first post of this thread.

Adventure for the Atari 2600.

It was arguably the first graphical adventure game, and a pretty deep one at that, especially for the likes of the Atari. It was the first video game to scare me, because you'd never know where a dragon was lurking or how the randomized game would turn out (and sometimes when the console would glitch up, the game would actually become a different experience with objects appearing in odd new places or certain walls appearing elsewhere). Lots of "WTF" and "OSHT" moments.

This was some amazing stuff. If not for Adventure, all those NES titles we love so much could have possibly had a different outcome. Warren Robinett was one hell of a programmer to cram so much complexity into a single 4 kilobyte game. Too bad his dragons looked like ducks. :|

Did you know there is a photo of Warren Robinett and John Romero at a restaurant sitting down for some lunch? I mean wtf. :D

bytor said:

...or Chess.

This might actually be true. :P

I got Chessmaster 9000 on GOG recently and I've been going through the lessons and it's a blast actually :p Especially fun to realize how mcuh I had forgotten about the game play.

Rambosee said:

besides doom

Doom II. U mad?

But really, Doom/II/Final/64 are probably the games I've spent the most hours playing. For lack of other factors that would qualify them as my favourite(s).

Deus Ex.
Why? Because JC Motherfucking Denton and his augmented vision, that's why.

Hmm... I probably couldn't choose just one...

FPS: Doom / Quake 2
Racing: NFS2SE / GT2 (PSX)
Adventure: Full Throttle / The Dig
RTS: AoE / Warcraft: Orcs and Humans
Platform: Biomenace / Alien Carnage

Many, many others...

The only (non-mmo) game I've played for a significant amount of time besides doom is probably TES3: Morrowind. That or Diablo 2.

Rogue

There is what I think is a port of the original Rogue to Java on freearcade.com, which I used to play all the time. Now I prefer to play modern recreations like Zangband:

Doomhuntress said:

I have to ask, is that why all newer types of those kind of games are called Roguelikes?

Yes. The salient features as far as I know are randomly generated dungeons, permanent character death, turn-based movement, and to some extent ASCII graphics although that's not really necessary. Also there's one Angband variant called Mangband which is multiplayer and has real-time movement (it's fucking difficult as all hell)

I forgot this:

Rambosee said:

Give a reason

Well first of all I enjoy RPGs of any kind, and while the original was somewhat limited, newer variants like Zangband offer pretty extensive races and classes, magic systems, etcetera. On top of that, the random generation is really cool and there are tons of monsters, items, and traps to make it interesting. The gameplay seems almost never to get tedious unless you are trying to level up by killing monsters that are too easy. If you keep pushing yourself, you will constantly be confronted with challenges that don't just arise from stronger and harder hitting enemies. They start doing all sorts of tricky magic and stuff, and the battles can involve a lot of strategy. The permanent player death is easily worked around if you mess with the save files but I think it's awesome. It forces you first of all to treat dangerous situations with utmost caution (you can't afford to just try something reckless, although I often do, but you'll just get yourself killed), and second of all to keep exploring different starting characters - of which there are tons of combinations.

So yeah, that's why :)

Starcraft BW. Not because of the game itself per se, but because of the insane competition it spawned, having provided me with countless hours of entertainment throughout the years (much more than watching Doom demos, tbh).

Ironically, today (in KST) marks the date Bisu took down sAviOr 3-0 in the most epic starleague final of all time. Savior was considered unstoppable - the first official progaming bonjwa, invincible in Zerg versus Protoss, and Bisu just roflstomped him.

Super Mario World - While SMB3 was my first mario game, this game however blew my mind when I was 5 or 6. Still have a real working cartridge and a working snes to play it occasionally.

runner up: Heretic 2 - around the same year I played the shareware doom I have this game. Despite being different than the original, its one of those charming games that I couldn't stop playing. I would love to play coop or deathmatch on this game one of these days.

The only game that comes near to competing with the amount of time I've spent on Doom would be the Championship Manager series. I've deliberately avoided playing this for years or else I get stuck in my own little Champ Manager bubble.

Your thread title and your post ask two different questions.

So I'll answer a slightly different one: which game has lasted the longest without being totally forgotten (a more clearly defined quantity, and related to how 'good' the game is to some degree). In that case, it is probably the Royal Game of Ur.

One of many series of games (I couldn't pick just one) that I've played alot over the years, other than Doom, is Toshinden/Toh Shin Den

Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II

Lightsaber duels have resulted in the most intensity and lulz I have ever experienced in any game online.

The arcade versions of Dance Dance Revolution, specifically either the 5th Mix or Extreme. I still play my home DDR games 1-2 times per week, or more when I'm in a routine.

I've probably put as much time, or more, into DDR than any other game. While I'm not that good of a player (I can AA "So Deep" or "Burning Heat" on heavy, but not Max 300), I'm still hooked on it.

Technically this is ITG2, but whatever. Same basic game. This is not me, either.

bytor said:

D&D...

Yeah, pretty much that.

If I am being forced to pick a computer game, I'd go for Eye of the Beholder 1 & 2 or the Thief series (esp Thief 2).

[edit]

Oh yeah, reason and screenshot...

Probably the first PC game that I really got into and became totally obsessed by. I still like it and still play it.

Hugely atmospheric. The only game that has had me sitting at my computer scared to touch the controls and even scared to breathe deeply in case I gave my position away as guards stalked around looking for me - and still kept it fun. Everything about this game is amazing IMO. I love the look, the setting, the phenomenal sound-scape and, for someone who tends to like fast paced games, managing to pull off a slow-paced, avoiding combat, creeping style of play and for it still to be utterly absorbing for me is amazing.

Doom, Dark Forces II, Jurassic Park Operation Genesis/Quake Live/Doom II, Chasm: The Rift/PowerSlave.

Oh and Cooper, if I ever find my Copy, wherever it disapeered too, I wanna play you. I have never played Multiplayer in that game, and I have never met anyone who has. You da first. (Even though I was gonna play a friend once on the DEMO, but never got around to it.)