What's the best game ever?

My Favs:

Half Life 2 & TF2
Deus Ex
Bionic Commando Rearmed
Mortal Kombat 2
Quake & QWTF
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

I'm probably missing a couple of big ones here.

Edit: SERIOUS SAM HOW COULD I FORGET YOU

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time probably tops my list. I remember not understanding how to play the game when I first got it and being easily turned off, though once a friend showed me the basics I couldn't put it down. Still play through it occasionally because I like it so much.

I wouldn't have thought of it if it wasn't mentioned but the Myst series is right up there too. The visuals in-game and the way each Myst game feels always amazes me and stirs my imagination. I always wonder about the inspiration to create the Myst worlds and how amazingly well they translate into the video game both visually and audibly. Each game has never ceased to amaze me in that aspect (and its for that same reason I am a huge fan of Rhem)

My father was a big puzzle gamer and I used to play the original Myst and sequels with him for hours at a time. I actually went ahead and played through Myst on the iPad and am currently replaying through Riven.

One of the best parts of the series is easily the music. Makes me feel nostalgic when I listen to it and it really is well composed for a suspenseful atmosphere.

Hopefully the movie will be good too (if it ever comes out)

Too difficult to select just one.

FPS: [Doom/2], Dark Forces, Jedi Knight, Duke Nukem 3D, DFII: Jedi Knight/MotS, Half-Life I
Adventure: The Dig, BioForge
Strategy: StarCraft/Broodwar
Other: Max Payne/2, X-Wing, Tie-Fighter

Khorus said:

Might and Magic 6 (most flexible character system in the entire series, but World of Xeen and 8 are both excellent too) for real time and turn based RPGs. I'd be working on projects for this game if there were the tools for it. Wish it was open source. :(

There isn't exactly a map editor or 'lmp' editor for it as far as I know, but a year or two ago I came across some people working to make a fan-made MM10 by modding existing entries in hex, and apparently they had some help finding out how to generate terrain. But otherwise there are some other mods out there, not sure how far along any of them are. The mod page on celestial heavens, an MM/HoMM fan site.

RPG - I also really like the MM series, though I liked 7 the most for some reason - I think because I really saw the links to HoMM3's story, while I never really got into HoMM2's.
Golden sun is awesome, really fun games and interesting story, though dark dawn was a bit weird with its models instead of sprites. Continued the awesome music though - the music for Belinsk ruins is a lot like magma rock and that works out fine for me.
Morrowind: I spent over 100 hours on this game and the mournhold expansion. Still have yet to try bloodmoon, though my friend had it and it looked pretty cool. Now that there's thousands of mods, maybe I'll get around to some of em. Also, BRB, gonna worship the skyrim teaser.

FPS- doom. No other game has as many mods, and the original games are fun too.
Bioshock - the gameplay is a bit different than most which makes it interesting, but really I liked the story and atmosphere.
SW:Republic commando. THE best squad AI I've ever messed with, and the gameplay and story is pretty cool too - wish the game covered more than just 4 areas though.
Metroid Prime - awesome atmosphere, awesome soundtrack, great gameplay, probably my first exposure to the metroid series - everything to make a great game, heheh.

RTS - age of mythology. Love that game, the campaign is fun and the lore is pretty cool. Never played it in multiplayer, but eh I'd probably get rushed by the most unfair civs anyway.
SC/BW - great campaign, multiplayer was ok. Really iconic though.

Racing - mario kart 64 - this game. was awesome. And still is, though it definitely needs the graphics updates in newer versions.
F-Zero GX - yeah I like arcade racers, and this had an awesome soundtrack to boot.

Wall of text brought to you by - late night syndrome.

ArmouredBlood said:

RTS - age of mythology. Love that game, the campaign is fun and the lore is pretty cool. Never played it in multiplayer, but eh I'd probably get rushed by the most unfair civs anyway.
SC/BW - great campaign, multiplayer was ok. Really iconic though.

That depends on the player. Multiplayer is pretty good actually, but don't expect a server using the Stock maps. I've noticed most games use custom maps or scenarios or what not.

Clonehunter said:

That depends on the player. Multiplayer is pretty good actually, but don't expect a server using the Stock maps. I've noticed most games use custom maps or scenarios or what not.

Cool, will have to check out the multiplayer sometime. Would you say most people play with the expansion? I lost mine a long time ago and still think my parents put it somewhere and forgot about it.

AoM normal: Plenty

Expansion: I'm not totally sure. My cousin has it, I could ask him. What do you have? Or are you asking as you are thinking of getting the Expansion?

HeXen, Heretic, Unreal (kicks the shit out of Half Life), Lands of Lore, Elder Scrolls series, and Thief series.

Quake III and Unreal Tournament could have been awesome, but fuck them for focusing on multiplayer.

• Dungeons and Dragons can be a hell of a good time, but it mostly depends on the other players. Get into a good, friendly group.
  • Adventure on Atari 2600. Love it
  • Temple of Apshai Trilogy was great too.
  • Rogue has stolen many hours of my time, and I've left tons of corpses.
  • Chrono Trigger and other JRPGs have long been favorites.
  • No one has mentioned M.U.L.E.? Awesome Game!
If there can be only one, then I must choose Randy Glover's Jumpman for the Commodore 64. It is simply pure platforming goodness at its very best. You can find harder platformers, games with better graphics and sound, but none can even compare to the sense of adventure and stress inducing peril this game can bring you. Play it for an hour or more, and try your best not to bash your head through a wall. I just love it!

flubbernugget said:

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned MechWarrior 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X3GD0UnBCk

Couldn't get the video to display right :/

This and Star Wars: X-Wing ate away at 70% of my childhood gaming.

Some of my favorites include:
Mario 64
Ocarina of Time
Final Fantasy 8 (Yeah, that one)
Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles
Devil May Cry

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Star Wars: Dark Forces(why is everyone only mentioning 2? :( )
Starcraft: Brood War
Starfox 64
Sonic 3 & Knuckles
Warcraft 3
Tales of Symphonia

It's difficult for me to choose just one favorite game.. there are some that I will fondly remember for the rest of my life.

Super Mario All Stars, Blaster Master, Doom, Half-Life, Super Mario 64, Metroid Prime, System Shock 2, Thief (1 and 2), Donkey Kong Country (1 and 2), Zelda, Sonic 2, MechWarrior 2, Quake 2... there's just too many, I couldn't possibly list all the games I love, let alone pick just one.

flubbernugget said:

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned MechWarrior 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X3GD0UnBCk

Couldn't get the video to display right :/

I adored this game.. so many memories.

ArmouredBlood said:

There isn't exactly a map editor or 'lmp' editor for it as far as I know, but a year or two ago I came across some people working to make a fan-made MM10 by modding existing entries in hex, and apparently they had some help finding out how to generate terrain. But otherwise there are some other mods out there, not sure how far along any of them are. The mod page on celestial heavens, an MM/HoMM fan site.

Yeah, I've tried many tools, most of them are very limited (omg change your stats) and all are convoluted. I'm surprised they've gotten as far as they have on M&M X really. I played through BDJ's VI and VII mods but they're of low quality too, moving quests around, changing text and throwing in low quality sprites. And the restrictions on gameplay in TCC is just so not what M&M is about. /rant ;)