Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TendaMonsta

Prboom-plus Multiplayer

How would I go about playing multiplayer in prboom-plus?

Are there certain commands that I need to give in order for it to start a server? How would the player join?

-server
-connect (ipadress)

Are any of these command lines needed like chocolate-doom

Sorry about not adding detailed information, but I don't know how to word this. Also is prboom-plus as easy to set up as chocolate-doom's multiplayer function?

TendaMonsta said:

How would I go about playing multiplayer in prboom-plus?

Are there certain commands that I need to give in order for it to start a server? How would the player join?

-server
-connect (ipadress)

Are any of these command lines needed like chocolate-doom

Sorry about not adding detailed information, but I don't know how to word this. Also is prboom-plus as easy to set up as chocolate-doom's multiplayer function?

read the prboom (not prboom-plus docs)

Thanks for the response guys.

If the maker of Prboom-plus said it sucks then I'll probably try Odamex. May I ask why it sucks?

I've used it for coop on a LAN (in Prague), and it seemed perfectly OK. Presumably there are some deficiencies for online play, but not having tried it, I can't say for sure.

it sucks online, i tried it with graim and it was always laggy and mouse turning behaved funny for the guy connecting to the host. there's no reason why it shouldn't be usable for lan coop though.

I haven't personally tried it, but it should be no less playable online than chocolate doom is.

Chocolate Doom is better at multiplayer (except in the few cases where it crashes, like on my system.) The net code is better and the player colors are rendered properly, at least. An alternative to PrBoom+ for multiplayer is PrBoom v2.5.0, which, from what I've experienced, doesn't have "mouse lag" problems.

Another option is Doom or Doom+ (or even Boom) over DOSBox's IPX emulation over TCP/IP, of course.

dew said:

it sucks online, i tried it with graim and it was always laggy and mouse turning behaved funny for the guy connecting to the host. there's no reason why it shouldn't be usable for lan coop though.

In my own experiments with PrBoom-Plus multiplayer I've found that when starting a co-op game on LAN, everything is perfectly fine for the first level that you play.. but when the map changes, a mouse control lag introduces itself for the clients. It's very minor, but in my opinion it completely ruins it.

So as entryway has noted: do not use it.

Being that PrBoom-Plus is my favorite Doom engine, I'd love to see some better netcode appear for it, but I doubt that is even on entryway's list of things to do, especially considering how much work that might take.