Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PaintedBlack

how do i remove the original guns from doom

First off I'd like to thank everyone who helped with my previous questions. The TC mod is coming along great, still in early alpha.
I've come into a bit of a problem. I would like to use custom weapons rather than the original weapons, is it possible to remove them? like say for example i'd like to replace the chainsaw and the pistol and instead only use my custom weapons even if a cheat code is used.

also any suggestions on how to play a wav file at the beginning of levels? like the last level of doom 2 when the boss is talking, or duke nukems comments.

Thanks for the help in advance!

if you want to get an idea about my mod check out http://manifesto-game.blogspot.com/2011/01/manifesto-survival-in-hell.html

it's the blog for my rpg game i made, this doom TC will be the second game in the series.

It depends on what source port you are mapping for (if not the vanilla game), as well as how you want the weapons to function, and if you are willing to mess around with dehacked.

With ZDoom and derivatives at least, there are multiple methods for defining the weapons available to the player. Other advanced ports should have comparable features as well, but I'm not that well versed in such. Defining a custom character class, as mentioned on that page, would probably be the best for what you want to do though.

Alternatively, if you are just making sprite edits that work like the original weapons, you could just replace the graphics themselves, but that wouldn't prevent a player from gaining the other weapons via cheats. If you are mapping for vanilla and want to modify any weapons, you'll have to use DeHackEd, but I haven't fiddled around with that for years and can't give you any more guidance there.

Dehacked should also be capable of 'disabling' unwanted weapons by giving them null graphics and no firing states (or something like that), but again, I can't really remember.

I'd like to make a zdoom port, trying to figure out the player classes thing, because it would be pretty cool to add to my game! thanks for the input man, any other suggestions? i'll gladly listen

Since you want to use ZDoom, I recommend spending some time looking through the ZDoom wiki, if you haven't already.

There are a minimum of two main things that you would need to understand in order to make your TC as described, aside from mapping and image editing:

1.)-Lump management: I assume you might already know how to add files (like images, or DECORATE) to a WAD or PK3, but if not, you should download SLADE3 here, and familiarize yourself with its operation. If you need further help with editing WADs or PK3s using SLADE3 you could look here, or ask on the forums.

2.)-DECORATE: If you don't know, DECORATE is ZDoom's method for defining new weapons, monsters, and other such actors. To use it, you have to add a text lump called DECORATE containing the definitions to your WAD or PK3. This is easily done all within SLADE3.

To start with, you should read up on the basics of the DECORATE sytnax, and inheritance, the latter of which you may be familiar with if you have any object-oriented programming experience.

More specifically, some tutorials for making new weapons and player classes are here:

http://zdoom.org/wiki/Creating_new_weapons
http://zdoom.org/wiki/Creating_new_player_classes

I'm not sure whether it would be best to inherit your new class(es) directly from PlayerPawn and assign all needed values, or to inherit from DoomPlayer, and then just clearing/redefining the Player.WeaponSlot properties, because I don't know how much you want your class(es) to differ from Doomguy.

Also, if you are using ZDoom, you can play sounds at specific times via ACS, but that's a bit more complicated, and the wiki page that I linked will explain it better than I.