Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rambosee

Whats the best series of games?

So we heard the best games, but what is the best series of games? It cannot be the doom series, and it cannot be a mod series. At least 2 (any) games must be mentioned from the series, the games mentioned cannot be a mod. If possible a screenshot and/or a video can be provided. Also a reason must be provided as well. Then the best game of the series must be mentioned. Ties are allowed, provided that all these rules are followed.

My answer:
The Wolfenstien series. All of the games have been uberly fun to play, finding the secrets, the various weaponry, everything. Wolf 3D was awesome and i got hooked on it even though i played only the shareware on the wii (don't ask how). Return To castle Wolfenstien is the best shooter i own in my opinion and i still play the online. New Wolfenstein? Sure it was an outcast to the series, but in its own way, it was still hella awesome, the long campaign, the secrets were as hard as ever, and the variety of weapons was astonishing. Of course, RTCW is the best in the series, no questions asked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re1w5yh3lmo
Speedrun of the second boss in the new Wolfenstein.

The Mario games, i don't think many people could disagree with that, its one of the longest series (going for over 25 yrs now) and still producing great games

EDIT: Too many games to list but here's a few, Super mario bros, Super Mario World, Super Mario 64, Mario Kart, Super Mario Galaxy...

Zelda Games are also good

The Final Fantasy series have been a consistent and fun game series where I've enjoyed pretty much every game in it (except the 7:th one, I can't seem to stand it).

Something more, uhh... I'm gonna have to say Quake then. Can't go wrong with Quake.

Mario had always had a constant line of quality titles.

Sonic has had nothing but well over a decade of rushed, buggy, lack luster, uninspired shit. And I'm saying this as a Sonic fan.

I can't help but mention the Commander Keen games. Still among my favorite games to this day. The Half-Life series, mission packs included, were quite the experience as well. Also, I find the Gears of War games pretty awesome, looking forward to the third chapter (inb4 haters).

On the spectating side, nothing beats BW, and to a lesser extent, SC2.

As far as playing goes...Romance of the Three Kingdoms series (up to the 11th iteration now), and the Nobunaga's Ambitions series. I've never played the English versions, as I heard they suck, so I stick with the Chinese, as Koei usually releases translated Chinese versions of the games after the Japanese versions. They are the most in depth turn-based strategy games of all time, imo.

Here's a SS of Nob 13:

Technician said:

Sonic has had nothing but well over a decade of rushed, buggy, lack luster, uninspired shit. And I'm saying this as a Sonic fan.

This. From Sonic Adventure 2 to Sonic Riders Kinect I feel the great-ness of the original Meagdrive games was lost (although I did enjoy the Sonic Advance series), all for some bad lines, annoying characters (Tails went from cute to annoying) and simply bad and ridiculous gameplay. Sonic with a sword? Sonic as a "Were-hog"? Why?

As a driving fan I could say that the Gran Turismo series and the Ridge Racer series are briliant, but feel the early PS2 era was the worst for both of them. Also adding to the Mario and Zelda series previously mentioned the Metroid series takes a beating (Maybe except for the DS ones).

Technician said:

Mario had always had a constant line of quality titles.

This.

He went from hero to zero in the snap of a finger. I loved the Megadrive games, so this saddens me.

I would have to say Half-life.

There hasn't been a bad Half-Life release yet, including expansions.

I would actually step in and say the Yakuza games - okay, the first game got off to a rocky start due to Sega's insistence on dubbing the game and not leaving the original language track on the disc, but it still played alright. Yakuza 2 and 3 only refined the formula further, supplying some damned good mobster intrigue storylines, and most importantly, improving one's ability to beat the hell out of random thugs.

Foodles said:

The Mario games, i don't think many people could disagree with that, its one of the longest series (going for over 25 yrs now) and still producing great games

Whilst I agree that you are probably correct from most objective perspectives and general criteria, personally I have never liked the Mario games and never really got what all the fuss was about. I have tried a number of the games and simply wasn't that impressed by the gameplay of any one of them. I repeatedly find the graphical style nauseating and I find the central character (Mario himself) an unappealing, ugly little man with no charm - to the point that a game being associated with him automatically taints my view of it.

For a series of games... hmmm... I think I'd go for the Thief series. I explained my reasons for liking the Thief games in the other thread and although I found Thief 3 a little disappointing from some perspectives it was still a very, very enjoyable game. The mere fact that it included the "Shalebridge Cradle" (which I think may be the best game level I have ever played) was enough to lift it way above what the rest of the game would have been without it. I'm certainly looking forward to Thief 4 even though Thief 3 did nicely round off the Thief story.

Enjay said:

For a series of games... hmmm... I think I'd go for the Thief series. I explained my reasons for liking the Thief games in the other thread and although I found Thief 3 a little disappointing from some perspectives it was still a very, very enjoyable game. The mere fact that it included the "Shalebridge Cradle" (which I think may be the best game level I have ever played) was enough to lift it way above what the rest of the game would have been without it. I'm certainly looking forward to Thief 4 even though Thief 3 did nicely round off the Thief story.

What is your opinion of the dark mod?

kristus said:

What is your opinion of the dark mod?

My appreciation of The Dark Mod is severely hampered by my incredibly slow and unreliable internet connection. The mod has grown so big that I simply haven't been able to successfully download a recent version.

I liked what I saw with one of the early tech demos and very small level. I've followed the mod's development and I really like much of what the mod seems to be doing and achieving but, unfortunately, I can't access it. With any luck, that may be remedied in the not too distant future if a private resident's wireless scheme to get this area better supplied with the electric web works out. Until then, I'll have to admire The Dark Mod from a distance. :/

They have a torrent to download the latest version. That is probably your best bet with an unreliable connection.

As for the best game series, I'm going with The Elder Scrolls. The ambition and scope of those games is just awesome, even though they never live up to their promises and are bug-ridden almost to the point of being malware. I love games that let me just wander around doing what I please and generally when I please.

As for the best one, I'm not sure. Oblivion plays the best, especially with a pile of mods, but Morrowind has more character.

As for vids, here's the trailer for the new one:

If San Andreas wasn't so very much not-to-my-taste (horrible English, I know) then I'd say the GTA series. Likewise, if TimeSplitters wasn't rather crap compared to TS2 and TS: FP, I'd say that series...

So... Donkey Kong Country. Three fantastic SNES games. I'm not sure if the Wii one counts, or is more of a spiritual successor, but I've only heard good things too.

Phobus said:

I'm not sure if the Wii one counts, or is more of a spiritual successor, but I've only heard good things too.

Don't worry, it's more then worthy to be the fourth. Unlike Sonic 4... pile of rehashed, broken shit.

AirRaid said:

I would have to say Half-life.

There hasn't been a bad Half-Life release yet, including expansions.

Ummm how about all of them after (or even including if you want to be that way) Blue Shift?!

MGS games always seem to bring the goods.

/E

The GTA3 series was pimp too. San Andreas was probably the best PS2 game released ever.

If we go by time extension, conversions, and having coin-op roots, then none can beat TAITO's Bubble Bobble Legacy. Some place the timeline as Chack'n Pop -> Fairyland Story -> Bubble Bobble -> Rainbow Islands -> Parasol Stars -> Bubble Symphony -> Bubble Memories, with a split to the Puzzle Bobble branch in the mid-90s.

All of these began as coin-ops, and up to the Parasol Stars (early 90s, and already a decade of going strong) there were pretty much "universal" official ports to the most important platforms of their times. This trend slowed down after that, but then the Puzzle Bobble franchise erupted and breathed futher life into the Bubble Bobble universe.

It maybe a bit of a stretch calling it a series, since some are very different games (e.g. Rainbow Islands is called 'The story of Bubble Bobble II', Parasol Stars is called "Bubble Bobble III" and in general there is some canon/noncanon clash thrown in there), but there is little doubt they are one of the few series that have arcade roots (highly successful at that, with very few exceptions), multiple ports, and an ongoing legacy. Beat that.

Doomhuntress said:

Something more, uhh... I'm gonna have to say Quake then. Can't go wrong with Quake.

Quoted for quaking truth.

Civilization, Total War, and Elder Scrolls are the only series I get excited for when new games come out. They're all pretty fun in their own way, and they don't ever mess with the formula too much with them.

EDIT: I'm going to have to add Pokemon to that list as well. :P

Aliotroph? said:

As for the best game series, I'm going with The Elder Scrolls.

I totally agree with Aliotroph?. The Elder Scrolls by far has given me the most entertainment of any game series so far. Bring on the Skyrim! :D

Aliotroph? said:

They have a torrent to download the latest version. That is probably your best bet with an unreliable connection.

I seem to have almost no success with torrents. Anything I have tried to download using a torrent either simply hasn't started or has downloaded so slowly that I'd have been quicker physically travelling to somewhere that had the file, copying it to a pen drive and travelling home again. :/

I'd certainly support the Elder Scrolls Series (although Thief still wins it for me). I have played all the ES games right from the very first one. I remember being amazed at the expansiveness and technical achievement of "Arena" when it first came out.

As a bit of a left-field suggestion, I love the Tekken series of games. Tekken and Tekken 2 were my reason for buying a playstation after playing them at a friend's house. Tekken 6 was disappointing though.

Mr. T said:

MGS games always seem to bring the goods.

I take it you haven't played MGS4 then?

Clonehunter said:

Dare to disagree.

OK. ;)

Doom: was exempt from the thread.

Dark Forces: Mysteries of the Sith started out well but was a poor add on IMO and Jedi Outcast simply wasn't anywhere near as satisfying as DFII for me.

Quake: Is a mish-mash of unrelated games: the first rushed out the door before it could be developed to its potential, the second... well I enjoyed it but lots of people criticise it, the third was an OK multi-player game and engine demo but UT was more fun IMO and Q4 has been criticised for being far too linear and not as exciting or revolutionary as its hype said it would be. I believe that Quake Wars didn't make as big a dent in the MP market as was hoped either.

Medal of Honor: I love MoHAA but I haven't enjoyed anything else in the series that I have played. Even most of the add-ons for MoHAA were nowhere near as good as the core game.

Carnivores: ummm, actually, I never even heard of that one. :/

There, I dared! ;)

Rambosee said:

New Wolfenstein? Sure it was an outcast to the series, but in its own way, it was still hella awesome, the long campaign, the secrets were as hard as ever, and the variety of weapons was astonishing.

Long campaign? I beat that thing in about 7 1/2 hours blind. :P But yes, a hell of a lot of fun.

Anyways, I'd have to call upon the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series, F.E.A.R. 1 + expansions (not very good on horror, fairly linear, and the expansions aren't even canon, but it's still plenty fun to play. Especially jumping up and kicking people in the face.)...

I'd like to say the Fallout series, but I don't feel quite qualified since I've only played the Bethesda/Obsidian releases and not the isometric turn based entries. (Under this logic I guess F.E.A.R wouldn't count either since I haven't played the second game or its expansion(s).)

Condemned was a pretty fun series too, even though the second one had some horrible writing (i.e. *antagonist says something* *dramatic pause* Protagonist: "shut up!"), and the first one's melee combat was lacking.

StarCraft could be another partial set. I had fun with the first one and Brood War, but never really bothered even attempting more than "custom scenario" multiplayer maps and the campaign mode, the former of which I stopped after I had to reformat my computer because it got filled with shit adware. (No antivirus on windows 98.)

Call of Cthulhu would be a choice if the company didn't go bankrupt after the first game was made.

I can't really think of any more series right now, and if I kept going on with partials I'd be here all day.

Xeros612 said:

Long campaign? I beat that thing in about 7 1/2 hours blind. :P But yes, a hell of a lot of fun.

Isn't that pretty long compared to pretty much every other campaign nowadays?