Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
TheHighestTree

Good Games

-DOOM Series (Duh...)

-Super Metroid

-Diablo2 (turning me into a hermit)

-GTA Series

-Resident Evil Series (though a bit frustrating)

-Halo

-Megaman Series (NES and SNES are the ones i've really played, though i really hated the PSX Megaman X4)

-A game for NES that i played where you're a ninja who can jump ~50 feet through treetops and throw sharukins (anyone recognise this? i want to find it again!)

Opinions or additions?

I shall list my first loves: Mega Drive games;

Bloodshot, Battle Frenzy (I bet none of you have even heard of this, but it was an awesome 16-bit FPS)

Primal Rage

Sonic 1&2, and none of the later crap

and a load others...

Heh, a 'good games' thread. It's probably known we've had a million of these, but what the hell.

-Doom, Doom2, Final Doom, and especially Heretic and Hexen-

I don't think I need to repeat for the millionth time to everybody on the forums why these games kick ass.

-ROTT-

Yes I still boot it up now and then. Possibly the most underrated game ever. I'd like to Rottmatch somebody sometime.

-Duke 3D, Blood-

Build engine is about as advanced as FPS games get without totally fucking up the single player gameplay. *Cough*Halflife*Cough*UnrealGold*Cough*Quake*Cough*.

-Unreal Tournament-

UT is damn fucking fun. 'Nuff said.

-NoX-

How anybody could pay for Diablo 2 when NoX costs fifteen bucks is beyond me. This is one of the most overlooked games of the last few years. The single-player story mode gets old fast, especially after you've beaten it with every character, but the Single-Player Quest mode, and ESPECIALLY the Multiplayer mode blows Diablo 2 away. There's none of this "stay inside all day and become a computer chair hermit leveling up your sorceress to lvl 10020203 so you can be 1337 and beat all the n00bs" bullshit, just get in a game and bonk some heads.

-Infinity Engine DnD-

I never thought I'd do or enjoy anything remotely related to DnD until Baldur's Gate came along. Damn man, those games will eat up your social life if you're not careful. BG2 is fucking epic, over 200 hours of just sidequests, and the NPC interaction is some of the coolest dialogue from any game, ever.

Now, some of my favorites from SNES and NES...

-Legend of Zelda-

Pre-n64 shit that is. Zelda is some serious memories, I remember beating Gannon for the first time when I was 3. Matter of fact I think that was the first game I ever beat.

-Faxanadu-

YOU DO NOT HAVE ENOUGH GOLDS. Faxanadu ruled some serious ass, even though I never beat it (hmm... maybe it's time to emulate it). Me and my mom had the entire instruction manual covered in the passwords we got from the gurus.

-Castle ShadowGate-

This is nostalgia at it's finest. I remember playing this game when I was 5 or 6, and neither me nor my mom could ever get virtually anywhere is it. We'd solve one of the little minor puzzles in it and then get stuck for weeks at the next. The NES broke before we could beat it. Just about a year ago I emulated it, FINALLY BEAT IT, and pumped my fists into the air screaming VICTORY AT LAST!

-EarthBound-

Who couldn't love a game with monsters like EarthBound's? Master Barf, Mad Duck, Noose Man, Territorial Oak, the Starmen... EarthBound is one of the greatest gaming experiences, ever.

-Chrono Trigger-

The last truly amazing thing Squaresoft ever did. The music is especially memorable, like the theme for the lavos final battle. Rock on.

And highesttree...

-A game for NES that i played where you're a ninja who can jump ~50 feet through treetops and throw sharukins (anyone recognise this? i want to find it again!)

Sounds like Ninja Gaiden to me.

My rough list in order from top (best) to bottom:

Doom(1) (of course)
Wolfenstein 3d
Doom 2
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
HeXen
Diablo
Quake 2 (+ mission pack no. 1)
Diablo 2
Quake(1)

hehe Faxanadu kicks ass. The metroid series is good, especially super metroid. Another ninja game where you jump and throw shurikens could be Shinobi.

The metroid series is good, especially super metroid.

Am I the only one who doesn't like the metroid games?

X-Com UFO Defense
The finest strategy game ever. More addictive than crack, X-Com is to squad-based strategy what DOOM is to first-person shooters. Dawg.

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault
Beats the living shit out of RTCW, and the name MOHAA has to be the coolest abbreviation ever. Muhahaha.

Half-Life
I don't understand why a bunch of people seem to think its single player game was 'fucked up'. Yeah, Valve has a nasty habit of fucking everyone up the ass just to earn a few more bucks, but at the time of its release this was the greatest first person shooter ever.

Deus Ex
Even more interactive than real life, I tells you. Warren Spector is a fucking God.

DOOM series (default Answer) also heretic and hexen.
Xcom:Ufo defense-see Flathead's post
Fallout series-an rpg that set the world in the wasteland(major of RPG is set in the fantasty world).this game is very interactive.you can do anything,be a hero or evil,many way to deal with NPC,negotiate,fight or steal.this is one of the true best ROLE PLAYING GAME of all time
Megaman and X series-nothing can beat this blue bomber (megaman 1,2,3,4,7 and X1,X2,X5 good story,rest of it is not good enough)

yea i have to say the metroid games are among my favorites, metroid II is my fav cause it was the first i played. it kicks ass even if it was only for gameboy. also it was full of level bugs and for years i was trying to find more secrets when things i thought where secrets where bugs

Build engine is about as advanced as FPS games get without totally fucking up the single player gameplay. *Cough*Halflife*Cough*UnrealGold*Cough*Quake*Cough*.

Yeah - and vinyl records sound better than CDs.

I'll make FlatHead's words my own, even though I never played X-Com.

Microprose's Master of Magic and Master of Orion 1/2, Civilization (any version), HOMM (any version), Doom, the Heretic/Hexen series, Thief 1/2, Deus Ex, Shogo, Diablo, the Ishar series, System Shock 2, Mechwarrior II, NFS 3/4/5, Quake series and several others...

Ultimate DOOM
Final DOOM
DOOM 2
Quake 2
Quake
Hexen 2
Heretic
Hexen

I second that.

Plus Quake Mission Pack 1, possibly the best thing anybody has used an ID engine for.

Plus Quake Mission Pack 1, possibly the best thing anybody has used an ID engine for.

agreed.and i like scourge of armagon more than vanila quake .

yea i will agree too. the 1st quake mission pack rocked. the lazer blaster, prox. mines, and those scorpions. also another fav creature of all time was in there, those gremlins rocked. they reproduced and stole weapons

Slight deja-vu, but here goes...

DOOM <-- teh best
DOOM2 <-- also good, map1 deathmatch kicks ass
Final DOOM <-- better than some ppl think

X-com ufo defense (only the original) <-- soo cool
Civilization <-- first game I played on PC, is still good

Final fantasy series (VI is the best part) <-- yum, FFVI competes with DOOM for the title of favourite game.

Super metroid <-- one of the best sidescrollers
Zelda series (III is the best part) <-- yum, I bought a SNES only for Zelda III (found out that there were tons of good games for SNES later on).

Hero <-- First video game I played except pong... it was a sidescrolling adventure for some Atari console, made like 100 tabletop games based on this awesome game when I was 8 years or so (around 1988).

Secret of Mana <-- very fun in multiplayer
Sim City <-- had 730,000 ppl in the snes version...
Diablo (only the original) <-- the best hack 'n' slash
Dune 2 <-- very fun despite the lack of AI
Goonies 2 <-- first NES game I played, great fun

Super mario bros series (3 and world are the best parts) <-- great games

Warlords series <-- really fun in multiplayer
Kid Icarus <-- played this through again not long ago, kicks ass.

Hmm, I may seem quite backwards judging from this list... the only new games I really enjoyed: Civ3 and the new Final Fantasy games. Counterstrike and Quake3 are ok for LAN.

Diablo (only the original)

Yeap :p

It's funny how I somewhat enjoy Diablo 1 but I can't tolerate Diablo 2 for more than about half an hour before I want to uninstall it.

Bomberman series (gotta love 3-5 that never made it to the US)
MegaMan series (the blue bomber is god)
Metroid series (your mission just feels so lonely and hopeless)
Zelda series (Adventure of Link is the most memorable for some reason)
Mario series (only the main stuff, not the tangents)
Lemmings series (I'm not too horrible at these games)
The Humans (like Lemmings, but you controlled the movements of each character and positioned them)
Final Fantasy series (I prefer the NES ones for some odd reason... though 4 is great fun)
Doom
Half-Life
System Shock 2
Command and Conquer series (the first one was the best... too easy though)
Nocturne
Blood and (to a lesser extent) Duke Nukem 3D
Kirby series (the cream puff rocks)
Abadox (there should definately be a remake... or at least a 3D mod)

That short list should do.

Fav games of all time:

Doom 2 (first PC game I ever played, modem 2 modem coop is the best!)

ROTT (one of the most hilariously fun games)

Kirby's Adventure for NES

Sonic 2,3

Mario 1,3 for NES

UT

Anything on ATARI!!!

It's funny how I somewhat enjoy Diablo 1 but I can't tolerate Diablo 2 for more than about half an hour before I want to uninstall it.

Heh, lock your doors and hope arioch can't get in to kill you.

Well it's good to know I'm a Diablo 2(X) player. I never played Diablo 1, and I don't intend to anytime.

/me notices a red dot on my chest slowly rising toward my forehead...

Final fantasy series (VI is the best part)

couldn't agree more.the best FF i ever played(i played 1,4,5,6,7,8,9) very good story.and final boss KEFKA is really EVIL 11111

Goonies 2 <-- first NES game I played, great fun

i have ever played only goonies 1.great fun.gotta love the BGM of the game.even these day,i sometimes load up the rom and play it

Diablo 1 kicks Diablo 2 in it's nutsack, waits for it to get up, kicks it in the nutsack again, then peels it's skin off and covers it in salt.

my all time faves:

doom\2\final\PSX
quake\2 +mission packs
half life +opposing force
Wipeout\2097\Wip3out

I should hurry up and get thief 1+2 and deus ex.

runners up:

quake 3, jedi knight, heretic, hexen, unreal, red alert, Metal Gear Solid, syphon filter 1-3, goldeneye.

I agree with that someone about the Fallout series, I had Fallout 2 before, and just a few days ago I bought Fallout 1.

For some reason no one knows about this great game called Outcast.

Half-life with is mods is good, haven't played it in a while tho, actually haven't played anything, except doom and Fallout 1, because:

Diablo 2 with expansion is taking all my time.

however this is a bit too much. I wonder who wastes real money on a game item...

Ultimate Doom
Doom 2
Tie Fighter (+ bonus mission packs)
Commander keen (all of 'em)
Civilization 2
Sim City 2000
King's quest VI
Sam & max hit the road

There were a LOT of ninja focused games for the NES, however, I believe the one you are describing is DEMON SWORD. Look it up.

As for me:

• Megaman games, all of them, even the Gameboy ones and the soccer one, the only ones I dislike is the Legends series

• Castlevania games, all of them, ESPECIALLY Symphony of the Night (I paid $180 for a Saturn, Gameshark and Japanese import of that game just to get the 2 additional areas... and I did this last year)

• Parasite Eve, both of them

• Ultimate Doom (Doom 2 will NOT make this list)

• Hexen (Heretic will NOT make this list)

• Duke3D (Shadow Warrior will NOT make this list)

• Blood and it's underrated sequel, Blood 2: The Chosen

• SiN

• System Shock 2

• Heretic 2 (Surprisingly fun)

• Unreal Tournament (The only MP-focused game that doesn't make me vomit my own shit out of my ears in disgust)

• Soldier of Fortune

• Clive Barker's Undying

• Halo

• The whole Resident Evil series

• The whole Silent Hill series, although the first is much better than the second

• SSX (Play untracked and get over 100,000 points =)

• Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil

• Devil May Cry (Makes Resident Evil look like Mario)

• Every Goddamn Super Mario Brothers game except for the 3D ones (and Mario is missing)

• Kirby Super Star (YEAH BITCH WHAT OF IT?!)

• Kirby's Avalanche

• Omega Boost

• JUST ABOUT EVERY SINGLE FUCKING SPACE SHOOTER EVER MADE. AXELAY, EINHANDER, RAYSTORM/CRISIS, THUNDERFORCE V: PERFECT SYSTEM, THE WHOLE MOTHERFUCKING LOT OF DARIUS, ALL THE R-TYPES WHILE I'M AT IT, ESP RA.DE, AND ABOUT A BILLION I'M FORGETTING! I LOVE YOU GRADIUS! MY THUMB BLEEDS FOR YOU ALL!

• The Metal Slug games

• A great deal of Capcom fighters

• Secret of Mana, and contrary to popular opinion Legend of Mana does not suck

• A whole lot of others I'm forgetting =)